HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports Thread XV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
  #101
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
The Spurs would trounce Golden State. No contest. With or without Pop.

Karl got to the finals with the Sonics one year. That's more than any coach has ever done with the Nuggets.

Even if you think Karl is the problem, who are you going to bring in here that would do a better job?

I got all the respect in the world for Karl. He teaches basketball the way it should be played, and doesn't believe in just signing a $25M player and playing isolation/pick&roll basketball on every trip down the court. If that makes him a crappy coach, then so be it but I like the way his teams have always played the game. It's not his fault that Shawn Kemp ate himself out of the league or that Carmelo Anthony was the only star he was dealt. Funny how after Carmelo left, the team really did become Karl's guys and the team looks considerably better.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
  #102
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The Spurs would trounce Golden State. No contest. With or without Pop.

Karl got to the finals with the Sonics one year. That's more than any coach has ever done with the Nuggets.

Even if you think Karl is the problem, who are you going to bring in here that would do a better job?

I got all the respect in the world for Karl. He teaches basketball the way it should be played, and doesn't believe in just signing a $25M player and playing isolation/pick&roll basketball on every trip down the court. If that makes him a crappy coach, then so be it but I like the way his teams have always played the game. It's not his fault that Shawn Kemp ate himself out of the league or that Carmelo Anthony was the only star he was dealt. Funny how after Carmelo left, the team really did become Karl's guys and the team looks considerably better.
Karl also took the Bucks to the conference finals in 2001.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
  #103
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The Spurs would trounce Golden State. No contest. With or without Pop.

Karl got to the finals with the Sonics one year. That's more than any coach has ever done with the Nuggets.

Even if you think Karl is the problem, who are you going to bring in here that would do a better job?

I got all the respect in the world for Karl. He teaches basketball the way it should be played, and doesn't believe in just signing a $25M player and playing isolation/pick&roll basketball on every trip down the court. If that makes him a crappy coach, then so be it but I like the way his teams have always played the game. It's not his fault that Shawn Kemp ate himself out of the league or that Carmelo Anthony was the only star he was dealt. Funny how after Carmelo left, the team really did become Karl's guys and the team looks considerably better.
I fully respect Karl as a coach, he just can't get the big W's. 7 our of 8 years 1st rd playoff exit with the Nuggets. I don't care who you are, or what you've accomplished that's just plain not getting it done. It might be lack of ability to adjust, it might be not having enough talent who knows, but bottom line its not good enough. It seems to me the Nuggets are stuck and the only consistent piece has been Karl. Not saying he is a bad coach, but maybe his message is getting stale, who knows.

If the Nuggets want to take the next step they will have to realize how the NBA is played. Its great that we play a solid team game but unfortunately thats not going to work in the playoffs. You have to have a star or you won't win. The NBA is built around star power and the Nuggets don't have it. That is not Karls fault, but in the past he was given plenty of "star" power and still couldn't get it done.

Like I said he is a very good coach that I respect, but he just isn't getting the team over the hump, he is getting stale and it might be time to look elsewhere.

chet1926 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 05:03 PM
  #104
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
If you want to check out a bigot, follow Alphonso Smith on twitter.

Glad the broncos dumped that dude.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
  #105
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 134
Such a hypocrite. Jackson whining that the Nuggets are trying to hurt Curry? Does he not see Bogut basically punching Faried in the face and getting overly physical with him? Give me a break.

Gutsy win. Keep it up next game.

avs1dacup is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:08 PM
  #106
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Such a hypocrite. Jackson whining that the Nuggets are trying to hurt Curry? Does he not see Bogut basically punching Faried in the face and getting overly physical with him? Give me a break.

Gutsy win. Keep it up next game.
It nice to see the Nuggets do what they should have been doing since game 1 which was push around Curry and get inside his head. He is a mental case. You take him out (not injure) but take him mentally out and GS will crumble.

chet1926 is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
  #107
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 28,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
If you want to check out a bigot, follow Alphonso Smith on twitter.

Glad the broncos dumped that dude.
Doesn't understand the 1st Amendment either.

Hasbro is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
  #108
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I fully respect Karl as a coach, he just can't get the big W's. 7 our of 8 years 1st rd playoff exit with the Nuggets. I don't care who you are, or what you've accomplished that's just plain not getting it done. It might be lack of ability to adjust, it might be not having enough talent who knows, but bottom line its not good enough. It seems to me the Nuggets are stuck and the only consistent piece has been Karl. Not saying he is a bad coach, but maybe his message is getting stale, who knows.
You would have hated Doug Moe then. Moe had the same record of success pretty much. Always a competitive team but could never get the big one.

Shannahan was along the same lines a little too, one could argue.

I think it spoils the fans somewhat to always get into the playoffs and come up short. Competitive sometimes is only good if you can win the big prize every now and then. Fans seem more accepting these days of the tank-and-win strategy.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
  #109
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Such a hypocrite. Jackson whining that the Nuggets are trying to hurt Curry? Does he not see Bogut basically punching Faried in the face and getting overly physical with him? Give me a break.

Gutsy win. Keep it up next game.
Jackson's comments are just posturing.

He knows it is physical on both sides. He's just making the comments and stirring things up to try and get an edge with the officials in the next game. Make no mistake about it - Jackson knows perfectly well how this is playing out. And it's a smart tactic on his part.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
  #110
18007
That's "Mack"innon
 
18007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boone, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 50
Gawd, Bayern throttled Barca.

18007 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
  #111
ikonos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Draft picks, no, but you want the free agents to fit into whatever system your coach is going to implement.
Not sure I agree with that but it reminds me of what happened few years back with Broncos. They had a 4-3 defensive scheme all along and they bring in a defensive coordinator whose specialty is 3-4. D-line gets turned over and performs awfully and the DC gets canned (or did he leave) and now you are stuck with 3-4 players and are forced to stick with that system.

I know you are not saying this, but it is always best to draft or bring in FA players who can adjust to the system implemented by the coach, rather than bring in players that can only play a particular system.

ikonos is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 05:47 PM
  #112
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
What there are systems other than DUMP n CHASE?!?!
so not funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonos View Post
Not sure I agree with that but it reminds me of what happened few years back with Broncos. They had a 4-3 defensive scheme all along and they bring in a defensive coordinator whose specialty is 3-4. D-line gets turned over and performs awfully and the DC gets canned (or did he leave) and now you are stuck with 3-4 players and are forced to stick with that system.

I know you are not saying this, but it is always best to draft or bring in FA players who can adjust to the system implemented by the coach, rather than bring in players that can only play a particular system.

you remember wrong, when we switched to the 3-4 we excelled initially under Nolan(we surrendered the fewest points in the NFL during the 6-0 start), then he and McDaniels had a severe dispute near the end of the season and he left for the Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Draft picks, no, but you want the free agents to fit into whatever system your coach is going to implement.
i agree, i want the coach to coach and have no say in draft picks unless he is Roy or someone who has ran a team before.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 05:58 PM
  #113
ikonos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
you remember wrong, when we switched to the 3-4 we excelled initially under Nolan(we surrendered the fewest points in the NFL during the 6-0 start), then he and McDaniels had a severe dispute near the end of the season and he left for the Dolphins
The incident I was referring to was under Shanny. Probably a year or two after the Browncos.

ikonos is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 06:47 PM
  #114
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonos View Post
The incident I was referring to was under Shanny. Probably a year or two after the Browncos.
we never ran a 3-4 under Shanny. it was always a 4-3. the only coaches we had run a 3-4 were Mike Nolan & Wink Martindale under McDaniels.

all other coaches were 4-3 DC's. Robinson,Rhodes,Coyer,Bates,Slowik.

the Browncos were only here for 2005-2006(both years Coyer was the DC) after him it was Bates for a season and then Slowik for 2.
the only coach who fits your memory is Bates but he was a 4-3 coach and Shanny took away his DC duties midway through the season and gave them to Slowik. Bates was offered to stay on as LB coach and he told Shanny no thanks.
it wasn't that Bates was a 3-4 coach, he ran a different DT scheme than we had the personnel for. he utilized big DT's who clogged the lane and allowed smaller quicker LB's to make plays and keep blockers off them.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 12:09 PM
  #115
ikonos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
we never ran a 3-4 under Shanny. it was always a 4-3. the only coaches we had run a 3-4 were Mike Nolan & Wink Martindale under McDaniels.

all other coaches were 4-3 DC's. Robinson,Rhodes,Coyer,Bates,Slowik.

the Browncos were only here for 2005-2006(both years Coyer was the DC) after him it was Bates for a season and then Slowik for 2.
the only coach who fits your memory is Bates but he was a 4-3 coach and Shanny took away his DC duties midway through the season and gave them to Slowik. Bates was offered to stay on as LB coach and he told Shanny no thanks.
it wasn't that Bates was a 3-4 coach, he ran a different DT scheme than we had the personnel for. he utilized big DT's who clogged the lane and allowed smaller quicker LB's to make plays and keep blockers off them.
You are correct its the Bates year. I am wrong on the 3-4 but my argument remains the same. Its a bad idea to get players who fit a scheme rather than getting players who can adapt to a scheme. Same applies to existing players. Rather than shipping them off, its the responsibility of the coach to coach them to run the scheme.

ikonos is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:43 PM
  #116
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 134
And this game is a perfect example of how the NBA refs are easily the worst in pro sports. Have the Nuggets even had 5 fouls(excluding illegal screens) called for them tonight? Sure doesn't seem like it.

avs1dacup is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
  #117
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Hey Kroenke, you might want to get some guys that actually shoot the basketball! lol.

AvsWraith is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
  #118
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Nuggets take a big *#+}^* under pressure.

Wilson Chandlers gotta go. He's been worthless this series.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
  #119
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 134
How is that not a charge? Seriously. The NBA is a joke. The biggest joke.

avs1dacup is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:05 AM
  #120
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Every time someone kicks it out to Andre Miller for a three, they should be fined 10 grand.

AvsWraith is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:08 AM
  #121
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Every time someone kicks it out to Andre Miller for a three, they should be fined 10 grand.
Lol the truth. Every time I see Miller shoot that 3 pointer I feel like he needs a chiropractor.

That charge call was completely awful. We haven't shot the ball well at freaking all but it doesn't help that the NBA hates the Denver Nuggets.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:14 AM
  #122
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Layups... good to know how to finish them.

AvsWraith is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:18 AM
  #123
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Horrible calls and too many missed chances.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
  #124
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Keep Iggy and Lawson and ship the rest.

Is it like a rule that all Kroenke teams have to be completely incompetent?

AvsWraith is offline  
Old
05-03-2013, 12:21 AM
  #125
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
can't wait to see the spurs steamroll this team

Bonzai12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.