HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacT press conference

Old
05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Ice Whole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
By mid season next year. Believe it. If the oilers flounder at all early Krueger is gone and Mact is 'interim' coach.
That is never going to happen. We will hire a new coach, MacT's coaching days, well coaching the Oilers are over. He will remain as a GM, that's about it.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Just a reminder, that has **** all to do with him as a GM.
I'm questioning his ability to evaluate players and potential players. Isn't part of the job of a GM to go out and find players to draft and sign? Yeah sure he has scouts that provide him input and his coaching staff will have a lot of input as well, but ultimately it's MacT who's going to decide who to sign and not sign, and then actually sign them. MacT as a coach favoured players such as Reddox, Petersen, and Reasoner. Who's to say that he as a GM won't be looking to acquire players of a similar ilk?

Unless of course Lowe is ultimately the one in charge...

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
That is never going to happen. We will hire a new coach, MacT's coaching days, well coaching the Oilers are over. He will remain as a GM, that's about it.
That means it'll be Bucky coaching the team

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
The sad thing is that I can actually see this happening.
So could I especially if he's really high on Gagner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ugh Bryan I know you're especially not a fan of Mac-T, but come on. He literally said they won't part easily with any of the kids because of how much they "suffered" to get them.

What do you want him to do with Gagner, say he's too small and has no future in Edmonton? Good luck getting value after that, geez

Edit: Mac-T knows what it's like to have nothing to work with by plugs upon plugs, but now he's going to piss away all the actual talent?
Trading away one of the big 5 doesn't mean that he pisses away all of the talent now does it? That said I hope that he keeps them and moves Gagner out, time will tell.

05-02-2013, 04:18 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Or they could hire a proven coach with nhl experience? I know, sounds silly, but it could work.
We should definitely do this. I hear Pat Quinn and Tom Renney are both available.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:44 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Everyone says stupid **** from time to time, but I get fed up when people try to put MacT on a pedestal because they think that he's a borderline genius. If he follows his plan that he's laid out (one that quite frankly is common sense, not genius) then he should be at least an average GM. We'll see how things work out, I'm pulling for him because we'll need him to do his job at least decently to get us to a championship level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
But if he doesn't, Ryan Smyth is apparently perfect for the job because he tries hard.
Quote:
That reeks of nepotism. If Smyth returns he had better enjoy riding the pine, because if he is an everyday player then nothing will have changed. My biggest fears are that Horcoff and Smyth return, he signs Gagner to a hefty long term deal. and that he deals Eberle or Nail for help. If that is what he does we are in for a world of hurt.
I would personally deem T-Funk as reeking of sarcasm as opposed to nepotism. I have to think he was laying it on pretty thick here. No rational human being can justify Ryan Smyths existence in the NHL.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
I would personally deem T-Funk as reeking of sarcasm as opposed to nepotism. I have to think he was laying it on pretty thick here. No rational human being can justify Ryan Smyths existence in the NHL.
Cam Barker and Kurtis Foster say "S'up guys"

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
thinlizzy

Mac T as some have previously stated will keep Kruger on a short leash. He said he will make the moves necessary so if Kruger doesn't deliver early I am sure replacement coach is already being scouted as we speak.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
Mac T as some have previously stated will keep Kruger on a short leash. He said he will make the moves necessary so if Kruger doesn't deliver early I am sure replacement coach is already being scouted as we speak.
Denis Savard short?

Let's hire Tippett as a pro scout just in case.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
MacT's handling of Smyth reeks of nepotism, not T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Denis Savard short?

Ruff would be another good choice as a pro scout

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Quinteoilers

Quote:
If things go sideways, I'll bet Brent Sutter gets the call. If he wants to coach in the NHL again. He might not, he may want to stay around Red Deer. My 2nd guess would be a recently fired NHL coach, who is a really strong systems coach.

Quinteoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Cam Barker and Kurtis Foster say "S'up guys"
I don't know if you are being rational? At least the both of them know they aren't worth $1M each compared to Smytty's $2.25M.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Denis Savard short?

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Denis Savard short?

Let's not, so to avoid unwatchable garbage hockey.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I don't know if you are being rational? At least the both of them know they aren't worth $1M each compared to Smytty's $2.25M.
, not arguing that, just saying he's not the "worst" player in the league. And this from a guy, me, who said he was DONE last January.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Hunt4Oil

Mac T says all the right things, most new GM's say all of the right things and few deliver. Talk is cheap and that's all this organization has had for 7 years. A whole bunch of blah blah blah blah. I'll give it a few years before I make any judgements on if Mac T is the right guy but like most fans of this team I am sick and tired of hearing all of the talk. Just show us some results for a change Please.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
MacT's handling of Smyth reeks of nepotism, not T-Funk
Are they related?

the word y'all are looking for is "cronyism".

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I'll stand by my comments, you stand by yours, we'll see who is correct. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it won't surprise me at all.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Oil View Post
Mac T says all the right things, most new GM's say all of the right things and few deliver. Talk is cheap and that's all this organization has had for 7 years. A whole bunch of blah blah blah blah. I'll give it a few years before I make any judgements on if Mac T is the right guy but like most fans of this team I am sick and tired of hearing all of the talk. Just show us some results for a change Please.
A few years?

MacT himself has promised immediate action, has said that he is impatient, and all that needs to be done is to add some effective complementary pieces.

One season.

If we are not in the playoffs, MacT (and Lowe) should be gonzo.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Hunt4Oil

I don't believe he can turn things around in one season. I'll give it two years. As long as Katz owns this team I don't see Lowe going anywhere.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
A few years?

MacT himself has promised immediate action, has said that he is impatient, and all that needs to be done is to add some effective complementary pieces.

One season.

Ridiculous. The Oiler roster is not that close to being playoff competitive. Take a look at the St. Louis Blues and the LA Kings, how far away are the Oilers from beating either one of these teams in a seven game series?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
A few years?

One season.

You expect the oilers to go under such a big change, and then think they should be fired if they do not make the playoffs.

Wow. Talk about crucifying the guy before ANYTHING happens.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Ridiculous. The Oiler roster is not that close to being playoff competitive. Take a look at the St. Louis Blues and the LA Kings, how far away are the Oilers from beating either one of these teams in a seven game series?
No one is talking about becoming a contender but the Oilers roster could potentially beat out the likes of Detroit, Minnesota, San Jose for a playoff spot if our big 5 continue to develop and MacT makes the proper moves.

This team lacks an effective bottom 6 and it's quite obvious. The thing with St.Louis and LA is that they have a very effective bottom 6 and they are a threat to score at all times, play gritty and can match up against other teams top lines. The Oilers don't have that. If the kids aren't scoring, no one is. If the kids are scoring, that is when we see our bottom 6 chip in. As much as people bash Horcoff, I think he is fine if played in a third line role with the right players. I'm excited to see what MacT does. Bringing in role players is a lot easier than bringing in star players (Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak and Schultz).

However, I do agree that the one season statement is ridiculous. I'm willing to give MacT a 2-3 years.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote