HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How much $$$ did that Vancouver game cost Katz?

Old
05-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
player intent and how frowny these little boys would have been if they took a dump in those final two games. we've already seen little boys like Gagner, in the past, contact EA Sports for making his statistical attributes in a video game less than desirable. poor poopy diaper.

i have no problem with the monetary bonus. i have a problem with intent and immaturity on a hockey team of flunkies who play soft and can barely make tape to tape plays consistently. but then are all boners and butt pats when they hit a bonus for each other.

we wont know for sure but its more than curious.
That's what I thought you meant.

So here is the problem I have with this thread. It exists based on the premiss that these guys were excited that they hit certain bonuses in the last game. We have had a media report that because of the last game Hall will get his full bonus and now we are seeing speculation that others made big bucks from that game as well.

The issue I have is that none of this speculation is true.

The prorated schedule A performance bonuses for forwards are triggered at

12g 20a 35 points and .73pts/g.

Hall had already hit all of these well before the last game. So he had $850K in the bag a long time ago. And the only possible schedule B he could hit is the 2nd allstar team. It would take some pretty good crystal ball gazing to suggest that the Vancouver game seasled the deal on that one.

Eberle had also hit all four schedule A bonuses prior to the Canuck game. Yakupov had hit the goals number already and he failed to hit any of the others. As I sadi though, he may have earned a fair bonus if the last game helped him in the ROY race. But I doubt for one second that this is what motivated him (the money that is).

Hall and Eberle would also have made the TOI bonus long before that as well.

The prorated schedule A performance bonuses for defencemen are triggered at:

6g 15a 23 points and .42pts/g.

Schultz had earned the goals, points and pts/g bonus prior to the last game. He also had the TOI bonus. And since he will not get and schedule B bonuses, nothing he did in the last game earned him any more money.

So give all of this it seems that only Yakupov may have benefitted from the Canuck game. So perhaps it is possible that what you saw was not relly about money after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Maybe he was just excited because he scored a go-ahead goal late in the third period at home against his home town team which happens to be one of the Oilers biggest rivals and a team he snubbed in the last off-season to come here?
Nope, gotta be greed.

Last edited by Fourier: 05-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:27 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

So here is the problem I have with this thread. It exists based on the premiss that these guys were excited that they hit certain bonuses in the last game. We have had a media report that because of the last game Hall will get his full bonus and now we are seeing speculation that others made big bucks from that game as well.

Hall had already hit all of these well before the last game. So he had $850K in the bag a long time ago. And the only possible schedule B he could hit is the 2nd allstar team. It would take some pretty good crystal ball gazing to suggest that the Vancouver game seasled the deal on that one.

Eberle had also hit all four schedule A bonuses prior to the Canuck game. Yakupov had hit the goals number already and he failed to hit any of the others. As I sadi though, he may have earned a fair bonus if the last game helped him in the ROY race. But I doubt for one second that this is what motivated hit (the money that is).

The The prorated schedule A performance bonuses for defencemen are triggered at

Schultz had earned the goals, points and pts/g bonus prior to the last game. He also had the TOI bonus. And since he will not get and schedule B bonuses, nothing he did in the last game earned him any more money.

So give all of this it seems that only Yakupov may have benefitted from the Canuck game. So perhaps it is possible that what you saw was not relly about money after all.
/thread

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
I see only darkness

I believe in the new CBA there are more bonuses than those listed above.

Hall moved into the top 10 in scoring which gave him a hefty bonus...rumor is 2 million but can not find anything to confirm this.

This is the only place I can find it but it does not say how much they earned

http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement36.asp

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
I like money too.
This.

I'm not gonna hold it against a guy for getting his bonus, I'd be happy too. It doesn't mean our players are all money grubbing, heartless, mercenaries. Anyone correlating this to our performance as a team is out to lunch.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
I believe in the new CBA there are more bonuses than those listed above.

Hall moved into the top 10 in scoring which gave him a hefty bonus...rumor is 2 million but can not find anything to confirm this.

This is the only place I can find it but it does not say how much they earned

http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement36.asp
So far as I know there have been no material changes in the ELC salary structure. Certainly no $2M for a top ten points finish as that would be a massive shift in the nature of the Schedule B bonuses.

If it is not in here it has not been published.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1317097

Last edited by Fourier: 05-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Toydarian

Unless I am mistaken, all of the potential bonus money is contained within the ELC contract ($3,750,000 for Hall, $3,775,000 for Yak & Schultz, $1,158,333 for Eberle).

Hall, Yak and Schultz are all guaranteed $900,000 and Eberle $845,833.

All four will receive between their ELC max value and guaranteed value in payment.

I can't believe people are questioning the character of Oiler players concerning contracts previously agreed to and signed in good faith. Pathetic.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
LaGu

Here comes the Communist... Bonuses are bad, sick and counter-productive. They take attention away from what you are supposed to do and from what all of this is about, i.e. winning the SC, not gaining individual trophies...

Give your rookies a top contract (rookie contract), but why do you need to spice it with loads of individual awards?... Beats me.

Now shoot me down.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Here comes the Communist... Bonuses are bad, sick and counter-productive. They take attention away from what you are supposed to do and from what all of this is about, i.e. winning the SC, not gaining individual trophies...

Give your rookies a top contract (rookie contract), but why do you need to spice it with loads of individual awards?... Beats me.

Now shoot me down.
Protects the team against paying a top draft pick huge dollars for an underwhelming performance in his first three seasons?

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Beerfish

Better make them each pay 2 million dollars to stay on the team or we will trade them all to Anaheim for Corey Perry and a 1st round pick.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
If they cared that much about bonuses, maybe we should put in bonuses for making the playoffs.. then maybe we could finally get somewhere lol
lol you might be on to something here...what if the whole team had a "team win" bonus worked into their contract with playoff bonuses as well.

Heck you could have an amount that the entire team gets for every win.

Quote:

Eberle had also hit all four schedule A bonuses prior to the Canuck game. Yakupov had hit the goals number already and he failed to hit any of the others. As I sadi though, he may have earned a fair bonus if the last game helped him in the ROY race. But I doubt for one second that this is what motivated him (the money that is).

Thanks for this, clarifies that notion.

Powder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
armandh01

As an Oilers fan there have been some very embarrassing times; however, this thread takes the cake. Absolutely ridiculous. The way some of you grasp on to this garbage like some sort of nonsensical conspiracy theory is both sad and entertaining.

armandh01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:13 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
As an Oilers fan there have been some very embarrassing times; however, this thread takes the cake. Absolutely ridiculous. The way some of you grasp on to this garbage like some sort of nonsensical conspiracy theory is both sad and entertaining.
I dunno, remember that twenty page thread on the Oilers bar bill in Calgary on the last day of the season a couple years ago.... good times

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:30 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I know Pretty ridiculous. Our players only care about cash instead of celebrating a blowout win against our biggest rivals on the last game of the year on home ice.

I won't hold it against them if they were happy for hitting there bonuses, Heck I would be happy too, I guess we need something to talk about since we aren't in the playoffs right?

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
player intent and how frowny these little boys would have been if they took a dump in those final two games. we've already seen little boys like Gagner, in the past, contact EA Sports for making his statistical attributes in a video game less than desirable. poor poopy diaper.

i have no problem with the monetary bonus. i have a problem with intent and immaturity on a hockey team of flunkies who play soft and can barely make tape to tape plays consistently. but then are all boners and butt pats when they hit a bonus for each other.

we wont know for sure but its more than curious.
Quote:

Nope, gotta be greed.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:35 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
C'mon guys, I know these players are already millionaires but those bonuses are big enough to give any billionaire a boner..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Nope, gotta be greed.

Well said.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:20 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
There is concern that individuals excited about monetary success rather than team success. Good for them they hit them, but that intensity sure could have been used at many other points in the season.
Who said that's why they were playing hard though? If anyone here actually thinks the only reason those guys were trying to run up the score in that game and celebrating was for an addition to their paycheck, they probably don't understand athletes all that well, especially hockey players. They were putting the screws to the division leader, and sure, they may not be making the playoffs this year, but going out on a winning note like they did, makes things a lot easier for them mentally going into next year.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Hey...when I was a kid, I received a bonus of $2 for each goal and $1 for each assist in a game.

That bonus structure that I was part of sure made me play harder, try harder etc.

Bonus's are a good thing....but...I also played harder and tried harder so my team would win. Pride usually trumps bonuses...although getting a couple million for being top 10 in scoring would be kinda nice.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:53 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Hey...when I was a kid, I received a bonus of $2 for each goal and $1 for each assist in a game.

That bonus structure that I was part of sure made me play harder, try harder etc.

Bonus's are a good thing....but...I also played harder and tried harder so my team would win. Pride usually trumps bonuses...although getting a couple million for being top 10 in scoring would be kinda nice.
Disgusting. Your weekly allowance wasn't enough for you?

I remember when kids played for fun. For pride. Not for the $$$$$.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:16 PM
speeds

Quote:

I haven't seen either player's contract, so I have no idea what kind of bonus money they actually received, but both were eligible for Schedule "B" bonuses as far as I know.

Schedule B bonuses can be awarded for finishing in the top 10 in points, Hall did that so he could have made money via Schedule B bonuses.

For D, you are eligible for Schedule B bonuses if you are top 10 in goals by D - Schultz was t-8th in goals scored by a D so if that was in his contract I would imagine he made some bonus money as well via Schedule B

Last edited by speeds: 05-01-2013 at 09:46 PM.
speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Disgusting. Your weekly allowance wasn't enough for you?

I remember when kids played for fun. For pride. Not for the $$$$$.
Yeah! Disgusting!

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Time to clean house. These kids are clearly heartless. How dare they get excited about earning large amounts of money?

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:13 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Soooo does anyone have a link to any bonus stuff this year? Like the top 10 in points thing?

Fourier, I believe you that they should have prorated these numbers for this year, but do you have a link where they actually say it?

**Oh on the NHLFA site I found a mention of a forward finishing top 15 in goals, assists, points, or plus minus, but no mention of value.

Last edited by T-Funk: 05-02-2013 at 03:26 AM.
T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Fourier

Time for me to eat some crow here. I was most definitely wrong about the schedule B bonuses. There are indeed bonus for being in the top ten in points, assists and goals as well as pts/g as several others have pointed out . Not sure why I forgot about those but I did and as such I need to come clean. Sorry OILERS91 for doubting you!

Hall did indeed hit his bonus with his two assits so he could theoretically have picked up $2M per season, though it could be as little $140K.

Schultz did hit a bonus for top ten in goals as well.

The other parts of my post remain true. The other players did not stand to gain much at all from their big push. Moreover, I stand by the premise of what I said that there is no way that a guy like Hall would have been focused on these these bonuses as his motivation to play hard. He has a $6M deal in place and the guy is as driven as any player the Oilers have had in years.

Quote:
(b) League Performance Bonuses:
(i) A forward who finishes among the top ten (10) forwards in the
League in goals, assists, points or points per Game (Minimum 42Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group)
shall receive the following bonus amounts:
Goals, Assists, Points `````````````Points Per Game
Winner $150,000 `````````````````Winner $100,000
2nd $140,000 `````````````````````2nd $90,000
3rd $130,000 `````````````````````3rd $80,000
4th $120,000 `````````````````````4th $70,000
5th $110,000 ``````````````````````5th $60,000
6th $100,000 `````````````````````6th $50,000
7th $90,000 ``````````````````````7th $40,000
8th $80,000 ``````````````````````8th $30,000
9th $70,000 ``````````````````````9th $20,000
10th $60,000 `````````````````````10th $10,000

Quote:
A defenseman who finishes among the top ten (10) defensemen in
the League in goals, assists, points, points per Game (Minimum 42
Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group) or
ice time among defensemen (aggregate and/or per Game.
Minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and
comparison group) shall receive the following bonus amounts:
Goals, Assists, Points Ice Time, ```````````````Points Per Game
Winner $150,000 `````````````````````````````Winner $100,000
2nd $140,000 ````````````````````````````````2nd $90,000
3rd $130,000 `````````````````````````````````3rd $80,000
4th $120,000 `````````````````````````````````4th $70,000
5th $110,000 `````````````````````````````````5th $60,000
6th $100,000 `````````````````````````````````6th $50,000
7th $90,000 ``````````````````````````````````7th $40,000
8th $80,000 ``````````````````````````````````8th $30,000
9th $70,000 ``````````````````````````````````9th $20,000
10th $60,000 `````````````````````````````````10th $10,000
The numbers above are league paid bonuses. We don't know how much the Oilers had to pay.

Soory again everyone if I mislead you!

Last edited by Fourier: 05-02-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 08:13 AM
supert

Are these bonuses not prorated this year ?

supert is offline   Reply With Quote