HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
  #51
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
I'm a bit curious, where is all this supposed speed the Ranfers have. I definitely didn't see it against the Devils who have one speedy defender in Rafalski. I don't see one Ranger that is a better skater than Jason Blake or Jeff Tambellini.You guys make itsound like the Isles have nothing but goons. I'd say guys like Zhitnik, Blake, Tambellini, Hilbert, Campoli, Asham, Hunter, Satan, Bates, York, & even Yashin can skate with or even better than the Rangers. Shanahan is as slow as they come, Malik, Rosival, Kasparaitis, Hossa, Ward, Ortmeyer, Betts, & Rachunek are far from being speed burners. I just don't see it. Last season the Rangers lived off Jagr & Lundquist, and once those two were contained it was a total melt down.
Wow, something must have hit you in the head. I'll admit it, I've wanted Simon here, and I think he is a great fit, and I like Witt tons as well. I think you guys do have a great team with tons of toughness, and you probably will be able to dominate some teams. But I certainly don't think you'll be manhandling the Rangers who also made some nice, tough acquisitions. You remember the broken nose Orr gave Godard? You remember the big hits Kasper and Hollweg dished out all year? Toss Ward in there too now. But, best of all, you remember these 2 chants...FROM 2004...."YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" And from 2005..."SEASON'S OVER!" "SEASON'S OVER!" "SEASON'S OVER!" Don't get your hopes up too high buddy, will come up with something creative this year too

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 02:19 PM
  #52
4cups*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Wow, something must have hit you in the head. I'll admit it, I've wanted Simon here, and I think he is a great fit, and I like Witt tons as well. I think you guys do have a great team with tons of toughness, and you probably will be able to dominate some teams. But I certainly don't think you'll be manhandling the Rangers who also made some nice, tough acquisitions. You remember the broken nose Orr gave Godard? You remember the big hits Kasper and Hollweg dished out all year? Toss Ward in there too now. But, best of all, you remember these 2 chants...FROM 2004...."YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" And from 2005..."SEASON'S OVER!" "SEASON'S OVER!" "SEASON'S OVER!" Don't get your hopes up too high buddy, will come up with something creative this year too
I'm not getting my hopes up for the Isles this season. I will be absolutely shocked if they even make it to a .500 record. I'm just pointing out that a lot of you Ranger fans maybe overrating your own team. You guys came out of nowhere last season and snuck up on a lot of teams. Now that the expectations are different & other teams know how t play you guys, I just don't see the Rags as a bonafide playoff team. I saw a lesser than normal Devil team absolutely embarass the Rags in the playoffs & if teams around the league take a cue from what the Devs did to you guys, I can see the Rangers having an wful season. BTW, when it counted last season & you guys desperately needed to win a game, THE ISLES BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOU FELLOWS IN THE LAST MEETING.

4cups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 02:50 PM
  #53
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
I'm not getting my hopes up for the Isles this season. I will be absolutely shocked if they even make it to a .500 record. I'm just pointing out that a lot of you Ranger fans maybe overrating your own team. You guys came out of nowhere last season and snuck up on a lot of teams. Now that the expectations are different & other teams know how t play you guys, I just don't see the Rags as a bonafide playoff team. I saw a lesser than normal Devil team absolutely embarass the Rags in the playoffs & if teams around the league take a cue from what the Devs did to you guys, I can see the Rangers having an wful season. BTW, when it counted last season & you guys desperately needed to win a game, THE ISLES BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOU FELLOWS IN THE LAST MEETING.
Yeah....did you forget, "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!" after Dale tackled Cairns in a 6-0 route of the Isles and a 6-0 series sweep of the Isles in 04, with Al sitting up in the MSG seats. And last year in that big beating..."SEASONS OVER!" Enjoy

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 03:01 PM
  #54
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
If I was a Ranger fan, I don't think I can ever have any appreciation for Dolan, because once you guys miss the playoffs, that buffoon will start orering to trade for old named players. Don't forget before last season Dolan brought you guys 9 years of no playoffs. Wang on the other hand has owned the Isles 4 years & those 4 seasons he has gotten us 3 playoff appearances. Wang maybe an idiot, but its his money, his team, his ego, & all I can do is root for the jersey. Also, if it wasn;t for Wang, the Isles would be playing in either Portland or Seattle. As idiotic as the Dipietro & Yashin contracts maybe, I have to thank Wang for keeping my favorite & beloved Islanders on Long Island.

Well Charles has given me that new appreciation anyway. I know we won't have the worst as long as you do. And actually I think Jimmy is not nearly as bad although it would be nice if we were owned by someone else--but not Wang. Anyway I won't exagerrate how terrible missing the playoffs for so long was so I'll have to correct you--it was 8 years if you include the lockout so you don't have to exagerrate it either. And if you're happy with the direction your team is going in well that's all that counts. I'm happy for you too. Anyway I've been to Portland and Seattle. They're nice places.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
  #55
GuloGulo
Registered User
 
GuloGulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: trunkofacamaro
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Shanny is not a fighter...we didn't bring him to fight, we brought him to be a power forward
You should've brought him as a circle sniper, because that is what he has been the last 5 seasons or so. Shanny has not, I repeat, NOT been a powerforward for the latter part of his career. He is big yes, he will throw down, yes, but he isn't a power forward anymore. He'll score 30+ for you easily though.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 12:41 AM
  #56
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
I'm a bit curious, where is all this supposed speed the Ranfers have. I definitely didn't see it against the Devils who have one speedy defender in Rafalski. I don't see one Ranger that is a better skater than Jason Blake or Jeff Tambellini.You guys make itsound like the Isles have nothing but goons. I'd say guys like Zhitnik, Blake, Tambellini, Hilbert, Campoli, Asham, Hunter, Satan, Bates, York, & even Yashin can skate with or even better than the Rangers. Shanahan is as slow as they come, Malik, Rosival, Kasparaitis, Hossa, Ward, Ortmeyer, Betts, & Rachunek are far from being speed burners. I just don't see it. Last season the Rangers lived off Jagr & Lundquist, and once those two were contained it was a total melt down.
Sometimes it's not about foot races so much as being shifty, controlling the puck and putting it all together. If it was just about speed you could win a cup with Jason Blake, Dean McAmmond and Todd Marchant as your top line.

Jagr is fast and shifty and while Nylander, Staka, Prucha and Cullen are all shiftier guys who are harder to capture than they get credit for.

The Rangers last year, were a team that was simply worn down over the long haul because they lacked a physical element. Guys like Hollweg, Shanahan, Hall, etc. are going to bring that element.

And you've severaly underestimated the speed of the suport guys who once again, while not Bure's were fast enough to be very slippery for opposing teams.

Speed is a wonderful tool, but it's hockey smarts and slipperiness that make players hard to catch. A player who can burn ice but lacks top level skills is a dime a dozen. I'll take a few less steps on the ice for guys who are still good skaters, but who are smart enough to not get caught by guys.

I'll take that over half a dozen guys whose foot speed becomes a nice trivia answer after they get outscored.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 12:45 AM
  #57
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
Just to get back to the grit part..

Can Dane Byers push Hollweg off the roster this year?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 01:38 AM
  #58
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
The power of Christ will compel him?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
  #59
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Just to get back to the grit part..

Can Dane Byers push Hollweg off the roster this year?
I do not think so. I DO however think that a strong enough showing in camp can thrust him into competition for the vacant 4th line wing part. Off course that means that he would have to outplay Helminen, who would have to outplay Hossa for that spot.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.