HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh @ Chicago in Soldier Field|1/3/14| Outdoor series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  #1
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 87,420
vCash: 50
Pittsburgh @ Chicago in Soldier Field|1/3/14| Outdoor series

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere but;

Quote:
NEW YORK (May 1, 2013) – The Chicago Blackhawks will play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins in a regular-season outdoor NHL® game at Soldier Field on Saturday, March 1, 2014, at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT, the National Hockey League announced today.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668719

So. 8pm start.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  #2
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble
 
SUBdrewgANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,289
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere but;



http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668719

So. 8pm start.
whatever.. a now diluted publicity stunt..

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM
  #3
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBdrewgANS View Post
whatever.. a now diluted publicity stunt..
The Winter Classic already lost its novelty before the Stadium Series rumors came out. The NHL is just cashing out now. Can't say I blame them. Fans will ***** about it, but they'll still spend their money on it.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  #4
HandshakeLine
Completely bias
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Praha, CZ
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
The Winter Classic already lost its novelty before the Stadium Series rumors came out. The NHL is just cashing out now. Can't say I blame them. Fans will ***** about it, but they'll still spend their money on it.
I'd go see it (and may if I'm in the States then). Chicago is always a great town to see a game in, and outdoor games have good atmosphere.

There's always something diluting the purity of the game. Helmets. Visors. The instigator rule. Two line passing.

In the grand scheme of things, getting more people to watch the sport is a good thing.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:24 PM
  #5
DoktorZaius
Registered User
 
DoktorZaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,538
vCash: 500
This is just a bit different and kind of interesting. I'm amazed at how negative the reactions have been towards something that will generate revenue, and hopefully more fans, for the NHL.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:36 PM
  #6
HandshakeLine
Completely bias
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Praha, CZ
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 21,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
This is just a bit different and kind of interesting. I'm amazed at how negative the reactions have been towards something that will generate revenue, and hopefully more fans, for the NHL.
Fans here are the purity trolls of hockey. I mean, who else cares about prospects and CBA minutia outside of HF?

People are gonna be mad no matter what the league does to expand its base. Hell, people are STILL mad in some circles that the NHL expanded in '67.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
  #7
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
I don't understand all the *****ing. It will be a fun game to watch in person. People just like to complain.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
  #8
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 500
The NHL really needs to stop this crap. 1 game a year is more than enough(winter classic) Even that should stop, it's terrible hockey anyways

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:50 PM
  #9
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer
 
BrunoPuntzJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
I think it's weird to complain about the "quality of play" at the outdoor games. It's not the point.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:58 PM
  #10
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,148
vCash: 114
I've said before and I'll say it again.

After the overhyped rain-soaked mess that was the 2011 Winter Classic between the Pens and Caps, I had hoped the Penguins would never play in an outdoor game ever again.

So what'll be the plan??? Sit Crosby, Geno, Flower, Tangers (if we still have him), Neal, etc.? Because knowing our luck you just know one of our stars will be hurt at this slushfest.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
  #11
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
I think it's weird to complain about the "quality of play" at the outdoor games. It's not the point.
Then why don't they just wear roller blades and play in the summer. Its bad hockey, gimmicky and will quickly wear out its welcome.

The big point to me is that the NHL can't do its job and it takes an outside game to garner interest in the NHL. That's down right pathetic.

When is the last time we've seen Sid, AO, Malkin, Patrick Kane or Parise outside of NHL Network or the odd commercial when a games on? You don't because the NHL is run like a lemonade stand.

Also what does all these outside games mean for the Olympics?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #12
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer
 
BrunoPuntzJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Then why don't they just wear roller blades and play in the summer. Its bad hockey, gimmicky and will quickly wear out its welcome.

The big point to me is that the NHL can't do its job and it takes an outside game to garner interest in the NHL. That's down right pathetic.

When is the last time we've seen Sid, AO, Malkin, Patrick Kane or Parise outside of NHL Network or the odd commercial when a games on? You don't because the NHL is run like a lemonade stand.

Also what does all these outside games mean for the Olympics?
If it were an empty novelty destined to wear off quickly, that would have already happened. They're adding games because they know it's a marketing success.

And yeah, the gimmick and spectacle is the point, but why is that inherently bad? The level of play (which is a nebulous concept anyway) might not be the highest, but are the games not exciting? Are you not entertained?

Also if the NHL put on a roller game I would absolutely watch it. Remember Pro Beach Hockey or whatever it was on ESPN 2 in the late '90s? I loved that ****. I've already said I hope the potential Anaheim-LA game is roller hockey.

And I really don't care about the NHL's marketing effectiveness and brand building. Who cares? Really? All I want is to be amused and excited by hockey because it's a beautiful game under almost every circumstance. The NHL does that for me and that's all I expect. The ability of billionaires to make themselves more money and the authenticity or intelligence of their methods does not concern me one bit.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
  #13
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer
 
BrunoPuntzJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Also I really hope anyone who complains about the NHL not building its brand effectively NEVER complains about there being teams in Miami or Phoenix etc. And I also hope you're pissed that they lost the Atlanta market.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:09 PM
  #14
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Darkness
Country: United States
Posts: 27,513
vCash: 500
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
  #15
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 27,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).
We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:38 PM
  #16
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer
 
BrunoPuntzJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.
The NBA has Christmas Day locked down. I doubt the NHL wants to compete directly with that. Also Bettman might still have some loyalty to the NBA and wouldn't want to step on their toes. Regardless of conspiracy theories that Stern sent him specifically to tank the NHL.

I do agree that a March 1 date is a gamble. Weren't chunks of the Midwest and Northeast in the 80s earlier this March? I think there was a stretch where it was actually cooler here in Arizona.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:40 PM
  #17
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
would be interested in this, but by the time I book a flight for 2 ($670), get a hotel ($350) and hopefully tickets at face value ($350+) it's just too much ****ing money for me to fly out from NJ for this. Just priced the flight and hotel and that's not bad, but man, not worth it. It's just a regular season game outside.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:03 AM
  #18
AZPenguins
Registered User
 
AZPenguins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Country: Zimbabwe
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
would be interested in this, but by the time I book a flight for 2 ($670), get a hotel ($350) and hopefully tickets at face value ($350+) it's just too much ****ing money for me to fly out from NJ for this. Just priced the flight and hotel and that's not bad, but man, not worth it. It's just a regular season game outside.
I am going to try and get tickets to the LA game. I love the idea of the 2 games in NY during Super Bowl week too, should be great.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:12 AM
  #19
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 500
Someone should change the kooky European/Commie date format in the title.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:29 AM
  #20
seabs926
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Said it the first time this came up... March 1st in Chicago is just dumb. Nothing else is going on at Soldier Field in February... why not schedule a date where you are virtually *assured* of good ice-weather??

Part of me wants them to luck out and have perfect weather. Part of me is wishing 42 and rain on them because it's highly likely. Another part of me wants tickets. Otherwise a great matchup and a pretty good venue for outdoor hockey (it may look like a toilet bowl sitting on top of the old Soldier Field, but there are few bad seats in teh house).
My guess is they don't want to be overshadowed by the Olympics, at all. Coverage of the games will pick up probably a few days before the opening ceremonies and continue for a few days after. That doesn't leave a lot of time in February.

seabs926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:39 AM
  #21
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 51,926
vCash: 500
Can't wait to see who gets a long-term injury!

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
  #22
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!
 
Coach Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,752
vCash: 500
Let's face it, we're all going to be looking forward to this once it happens. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago is a marquee match up that seemingly deserves a big venue.

That said, I do feel like this franchise is a little Winter Classic'd out.

Lastly, this has to be the year where they do the 1992 Pens jersey as this was the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals.

Coach Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
  #23
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Also I really hope anyone who complains about the NHL not building its brand effectively NEVER complains about there being teams in Miami or Phoenix etc. And I also hope you're pissed that they lost the Atlanta market.
Why? Trying to build up hockey interest in those locations is one thing but not when the league has the backbone of a cripple. Look whats happened since expanding into those areas.... lockouts and insane ticket prices. IMO they should have built up the west coast before going to the south or at least round out a trial team by going into two stronger hockey markets too. Its just another case of the NHL thinking they're bigger than they are.

I am pissed that the NHL didn't work in Atl... again. The thing is I blame the NHL and not the city.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
  #24
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Darkness
Country: United States
Posts: 27,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
We need an Xmas day outdoor game. Hockey and new toys.
WFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabs926 View Post
My guess is they don't want to be overshadowed by the Olympics, at all. Coverage of the games will pick up probably a few days before the opening ceremonies and continue for a few days after. That doesn't leave a lot of time in February.
THAT's what it is. I thought the Olympics ended around the 17th or 18th but it's later than that this year for some reason. Otherwise would've left plenty of time. Even going 7 or 8 days earlier could make a big difference around here.

That said it could be 15 degrees and snow on March 1st too.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:47 PM
  #25
SHOOTANDSCORE
Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Someone should change the kooky European/Commie date format in the title.

It fooled me for a second too. That date format is also soft and uninspired

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.