HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
ISS has Nichushkin 2nd in their mid April ranking. Interesting. The more I look into the top 7/8 in this draft the less I want to see it traded.

One thing to add on the Lazar argument. And it's the same argument you could use on Lander. That two way game that works so well in juniors and lesser leagues takes a serious hit when you are trying to duplicate it at the pro level. Players under 6 feet and 200 pounds are so much less effective when trying to bring the same thing at the pro level when the guys they play against are often 6'2", 6'3", 6'4" and 210, 220, 230. I think an average NHLer is closer to 6'2" and 210 pounds.

These guys are already undersized. I know size isn't everything but to play an effective two way game in this league especially at centre, I think you need someone that is at least 6' 2" and 215. An effective big man in todays NHL is 6' 4" and 230. Players under 6 feet and 200 pounds is what we have way too many of. And to get bigger we are now in the position that we have to seriously look at the size of players we add. We really do need to get bigger one player at a time. One draft at a time.
No NO it is not!
Comparing Lander to Lazar is nothing alike. Lazar is 17 and he is already 200 pounds so he is going to get bigger. H e plays tougher then Lander and better defensively. And at the same age their offensive skills were not even in the same ball park. Lazar is way a head.

If you like Mike Richards you will like Lazar.
If you guys ever get a chance watch this kid and you will not be disappointed.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

I'm a Lazar booster - I wouldn't mind it if they took him at 7, I feel pretty good about his game translating to the pros - speed, toughness, tenacity, skill. I think he's the kind of guy that could play up and down the lineup, whether it's a scoring line, checking line, PP, PK, taking the tough assignments if needed.

Plus, when's the last time we had a goal scoring centre? Arnott? IF his game works in the NHL, he would be a huge asset, imo. Is he more or less valuable than Monahan/Lindholm? Dunno... some day you may regret not taking one of those two, but I don't think you'd ever look back and wish you'd never taken Lazar, if that makes any sense.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is Mike Richards an effective two way center?
Nah, apparently he's a shrimp. Dustin Penner is, he's 6'4.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
jmoss45

One more reason to draft Monahan is he's a left shot. Gagner-Nail haven't worked very well, and I wonder if its partly due to Gagner being a right shot.

Would you guys deal our 2nd+ Gernat for a mid first to take Lazar? Would the value be there?

Old
05-01-2013, 04:17 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
One more reason to draft Monahan is he's a left shot. Gagner-Nail haven't worked very well, and I wonder if its partly due to Gagner being a right shot.

Would you guys deal our 2nd+ Gernat for a mid first to take Lazar? Would the value be there?
Without even the slightest hesitation.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

I'd move both 2nds to get that pick (we do have two 2nd's right?). Although I don't really see the need to make that move if we already pick up Monahan - maybe if one of Zadorov/Ristolainen/Nurse miraculously make it down to 14-15

Old
05-01-2013, 05:09 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:

I dont think other teams value Gernat nearly as highly as we do..and we still dont know what we have in him.
Trade next years first.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Sethis

If we draft a forward who wasn't a point a game in the WHL at 7th overall, I might actually commit a murder.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Argh.

The Draft in New Jersey is exactly 2 months away. The Combine about 1 month away.

Sitting on the precipice of the talent drop off is excruciating.
It's better than sitting at the bottom of the precipice. Being at 8 would suck.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Delicious Pancakes

I really like Lazar but not enough to want the Oilers to trade down because they think he'll still be there at 15 or whatever. The Oilers' pick at #7 is on the the edge of the drop off from the 2nd to the 3rd tier of this year's draft. The thing the Oilers have needed forever is a center with size and faceoff ability for the top-6 and Monahan fits the bill plus he can skate well. To pass up the opportunity to fill that hole which is so difficult to fill because teams don't generally move those players would be totally asinine.

I'd be good with the Oilers trading some pieces to get another pick to take Lazar though. He's gonna be a pretty valuable player for whichever team drafts him, I just don't think the Oilers should pass up a player who fills a bigger need for him. That extra size and reach comes in handy when you're playing against a Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar, or Ryan Getzlaf.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
I really like Lazar but not enough to want the Oilers to trade down because they think he'll still be there at 15 or whatever. The Oilers' pick at #7 is on the the edge of the drop off from the 2nd to the 3rd tier of this year's draft. The thing the Oilers have needed forever is a center with size and faceoff ability for the top-6 and Monahan fits the bill plus he can skate well. To pass up the opportunity to fill that hole which is so difficult to fill because teams don't generally move those players would be totally asinine.

I'd be good with the Oilers trading some pieces to get another pick to take Lazar though. He's gonna be a pretty valuable player for whichever team drafts him, I just don't think the Oilers should pass up a player who fills a bigger need for him. That extra size and reach comes in handy when you're playing against a Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar, or Ryan Getzlaf.
I like Monahan, but what if he is gone before we pick?

Old
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I really like Darnell Nurse, and I think teams will really hate playing against us in a few years with him on the roster, but I'm not sure the Oilers are willing to wait.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:40 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

But it is Button after all...

Old
05-01-2013, 06:59 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I would be very impressed if Oilers came out of this draft with both Monahan and Lazar even if its at a cost of losing Gagner and/or Hemsky and Oilers 2nd round picks.
I'd be all for that but rather move Hemsky then Gags. It's time to move Hemmer

Old
05-01-2013, 07:04 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post

Figured this would be a good place to leave this. If he develops right, he'd be everything this D is missing.
Season ticket holder here in London watching the knights playoff run AGAIN, and Zhadorov will be a strong "D" get. Hits like a brick house and has a very accurate shot. Don't think he will be a big point getter but a solid shut down D, at 6ft 8inches tall

Old
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I really like Darnell Nurse, and I think teams will really hate playing against us in a few years with him on the roster, but I'm not sure the Oilers are willing to wait.
Rustolainen falling to 14th no chance

Old
05-01-2013, 07:13 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Seems like a fairly reasonable draft, at least the top 8 or so. Button may have been an idiot when he was a GM, but his draft lists seem to be improving yearly.

I would be very pleased if the draft worked out that way. Lindholm may not be huge, but he's smart, creative, strong, and tough to knock off the puck. RNH + Lindholm could be a poor man's version of Sakic + Forsberg for the Oilers.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Season ticket holder here in London watching the knights playoff run AGAIN, and Zhadorov will be a strong "D" get. Hits like a brick house and has a very accurate shot. Don't think he will be a big point getter but a solid shut down D, at 6ft 8inches tall
I have heard this before yet I always read that he's 6'4" or 6'5" tall. Did he have a massive growth spurt this year

05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
- 1-9 are reasonable.
- 10 seems a bit of a stretch, but I could see that.
- But Samuel Morin...at 11...with Ristolainen and Pulock on the board?

Old
05-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
For my money the worst the draft could play out is that of the top 7 the Oilers are left with Nichushkin. I'm not sold on his hockey sense and ability to play a team game, and he's in the KHL for 2 more years. In that case I'd be open to trading down, otherwise I'd prefer the Oilers draft at #7. In order of preference I like Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan. Lindholm's the same size as Lazar and although I think Lazar is more physical and better away from the puck those aren't areas that are deficient in Lindholm's game. He also has more high-end skill than Lazar although isn't quite as good a fit for the Oilers in terms of filling a need as Monahan or Barkov. If they did get Lindholm and not Monahan I'd be even more of a proponent of moving some pieces to take Lazar mid-first. I think Lazar would make an excellent player to move around anywhere on the 2nd-3rd line and could fill in on the first line, wheras I see Lindholm as clearly a top 6 center, and a number 1 center on a lot of teams. Lazar's versatility, positioning, and intangibles make him very attractive though because he looks like a pretty safe bet to contribute at the NHL level.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Lindo

If Monahan is off the board, Lindholm seems like a fair consolation prize.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
- 1-9 are reasonable.
- 10 seems a bit of a stretch, but I could see that.
- But Samuel Morin...at 11...with Ristolainen and Pulock on the board?
Morin seems like a decent sleeper to show up around there.

6'6'' defensemen who can skate are usually high on teams' lists.

I'm not sure there's much separating a guy like Zadorov and Morin actually.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:24 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
If Monahan is off the board, Lindholm seems like a fair consolation prize.
I'd almost bet money that Lindholm goes first.

05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'd almost bet money that Lindholm goes first.
As would I. If the Oilers had the chance between Lindholm and Monahan everything I read suggests you take Lindholm there.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:31 PM
CurrenR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I have heard this before yet I always read that he's 6'4" or 6'5" tall. Did he have a massive growth spurt this year
Can someone answer this question because I always have seen 6'5". I tried searching it on the web and never saw anything about a growth spurt.

Closed Thread