HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Infinity Iggy's 2013 NHL Entry Draft - Final Mock

Old
04-30-2013, 01:45 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Infinity Iggy's 2013 NHL Entry Draft - Final Mock

With the first 14 picks in the draft decided, its time to start looking at which player fits where in this deep draft. There are a ton of star potential players on the board this year, and each team will be hoping to nab one of them.

This draft if highlighted by a flush of potential #1 Centers, and several high caliber Defenders. With only a few high potential wingers thrown in. With this draft being as deep as it is, the lines between BPA's will surely blur and I believe, many teams will lean towards filling a need.

So, without further filler, here is the top 14:

1. - Seth Jones - D

With the 1st overall pick in the draft, Colorado will be looking to fill its most glaring organizational need: a true #1 Defender. Jones should be that and more for the Avalanche and this will be by far, the most obvious pick of the draft.

2. - Nathan MacKinnon - C

With Huberdeau looking like a future 1st line winger, the Panthers fill their own biggest organizational need, a Franchise Center. MacKinnon looks to be the total package and will become a great marketing asset for the Panthers for the next 15 years.

3. - Johnathan Drouin - LW

The top winger, and possibly the most highly skilled player in the draft, Drouins future lies on the top line with Stamkos. Drouin will be a fitting replacement for Art Ross winner Martin St. Louis, when he finally decides to hang em' up.

4. - Aleksander Barkov - C

It has long eluded Nashville, a team not known for bottom 5 finishes. They finally may have one this year though, in Mr. Barkov. Barkov fills a decade long need for not only a #1C, but a top flight talent for the always defensively strong Predators. He is the obvious choice at #4, considered a slight tier lower than the top three, but a potential Franchise Center he may be.

5. - Sean Monahan - C

Some might argue that more offensively gifted players remain on the board but Sean Monahan is what you call "the complete package", a center who can do everything well. Carolina despite its strong NHL Center core, has a rather shallow pipeline at the position after Victor Rask, who some might call a shaky prospect at best. Monahan gives Carolina flexibility in their lineup, and the ability to use its position of Center depth as a core strength of the team.

6. - Elias Lindholm - C

Probably one of the more obvious picks in the draft, the Flames will look to fill a gaping hole in their Top-6 Center position. Feaster and co' have gone as far as to say that Lindholm should be in consideration for 1st overall in the draft (whether this is tire pumping, or truth remains to be seen). It seems as though if the Swedish Center is available when Calgary is on the board, he will be selected by them with certainty.

7. - Darnell Nurse - D

A team having finally escaped the dark cellar of the NHL, now boasts a forward core full of potential. Their defensive end remains underpowered though and Edmonton will finally be in a position where selecting the best available defender makes sense. Nichushkins skill and size may tempt the Oilers however, as it is another facet their top-6 desperately lacks.

8. - Valeri Nichushkin - LW/RW

A team with a recent history of selecting Russians who slipped in the draft, Nichushkin fits the Buffalo mould like a glove. Buffalo will also need to consider the possible departure of Tomas Vanek. These two factors make Nichuskin the perfect pick.

9. - Hunter Shinkaruk - C/RW

New Jersey is a team still looking to replace the offensive skills of a departed Parise, and an Elias who inches closer to retirement. Shinkaruk both fills a need, and brings skill to a team lacking highly touted forward prospects. Knowing they will have to give up their pick in the 2014 draft, New Jersey will swing for the home run and may just hit it with the talented winger.

10. - Rasmus Ristolainen - D

Dallas is perhaps the most interesting team in this draft. They have players at every position of their pool who look to be future NHLplayers, leaving Dallas with a tough choice of who is the *pure* BPA? Rasmus Ristolainen has been touted as a top prospect all year, and is possibly the last of the "high tier" players left on the board. Dallas does have strength at D, but as they learned at the deadline this year, compiling strength at one position can lead to flexibility down the road.

11. - Ryan Pulock - D

Philly was obviously hoping for the miracle pick of Seth Jones this year but Ryan Pulock might not be a bad consolation prize. If the Flyers are looking for a possible Pronger replacement, Pulock is the closest player remaining on the board. Pulock is a leader on the ice and possess a fantastic two way game. In Philly's system he could end up being one of the biggest steals of the draft.

12. - Max Domi - C

Phoenix is another example of a team with great success in developing Defenders, but very little to show for top end offensive players. Max Domi gives them a chance to develop a possible Top-6 Center and he may be one of the most skilled players remaining on the board.

13. - Zach Fucale - G

My first real "reach" in this draft but if Fucale goes early, it will be to the Jets. The Jets future in goal is in a questionable state and beyond their NHL players, their Goaltending prospects are fairly run-of-the-mill. If the Jets don't see anyone on the board who can be a big difference maker, they may be wise to take the top ranked goalie in this draft.

14. - Anthony Mantha - LW

Columbus has a great pool of D and C prospect but their wing, Left in particular is in absolute disrepair. Mantha instantly would become their best winger prospect and fills a gaping hole in their prospect pool.

Picks 15-30 will be revealed after the playoffs.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 500
Wow I just posted my mock with the exact same top ten, great minds think alike, I guess.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:55 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Wow I just posted my mock with the exact same top ten, great minds think alike, I guess.
And I just posted on your thread saying the same thing

I think we may be long lost twins..where was your Father born?

Old
04-30-2013, 02:34 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

I'll gladly take any of Nichushkin, Monahan or Lindholm (in that order) at #5. Nichushkin fits our organizational needs the most, but I just don't see JR taking a Russian that high. So I think the pick will come down to Monahan/Lindholm (barring the unforeseen slide of any of the top 4), giving the edge to Monahan. He just seems like the prototypical Hurricanes pick.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1458
I will need a new TV if the Jets did that.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Xoggz22

Don't mind Mantha at 14 but personally would choose Wennberg

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Great until #12. But good job overall.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:04 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

While Buffalo could use a big power forward, the choice of Nicushkin is far too risky. He is signed for 2 more years with the KHL and his new team paid out 10 million dollars to get him. The CBA will prevent Buffalo from paying anywhere near the net income he can make in
Russia. Add in no interest shown in coming here plus language/culture....no thanks.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:44 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
While Buffalo could use a big power forward, the choice of Nicushkin is far too risky. He is signed for 2 more years with the KHL and his new team paid out 10 million dollars to get him. The CBA will prevent Buffalo from paying anywhere near the net income he can make in
Russia. Add in no interest shown in coming here plus language/culture....no thanks.
No interest shown in coming here? I would love to see where you saw that, Nichushkin is a must for buffalo, in the pool do you find one guy that you can say is Elite? All draft picks are risks, however over the last few years the biggest "risks" seem to be the most valuable:
Skinner
Granlund
Schwartz

Scheifele
Brodin
Bartschi

I could go on and on and on for days, Let's face it we have a TON of picks this year, taking a gamble or as I would say home run or groundout pick shouldn't be a problem.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

"Philly was obviously hoping for the miracle pick of Seth Jones this year but Ryan Pulock might not be a bad consolation prize. If the Flyers are looking for a possible Pronger replacement, Pulock is the closest player remaining on the board. Pulock is a leader on the ice and possess a fantastic two way game. In Philly's system he could end up being one of the biggest steals of the draft."

While I can see Philly taking Pulock, don't you think Zadorov or Morin have more potential as Pronger replacements?

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:33 PM
joeyabs
RicoFata'sLoveChild

Good mock, I think this scenario is very likely - don't really know if anyone will reach for a goalie this high ( not sure if winnipeg needs one either ).

Imo, I think pullok will be one of the better defensmen this draft. Some of the others are getting overhyped for some reason this year - i think there will be some regret picking some defensive defensemen in the first round with the apparently deep talent pool this year.

joeyabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:37 AM
TragicallySabres

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Grigo was one thing last year, with playing in NA already and all. Plus, Nishushkin seems like a type of guy who wants to make the whole play himself. As a Sabres fan, I want fewer headaches after the draft, not more. Sorry for that little rant. Not a bad mock overall at all. Nice job OP!

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicallySabres View Post
My thoughts exactly. Grigo was one thing last year, with playing in NA already and all. Plus, Nishushkin seems like a type of guy who wants to make the whole play himself. As a Sabres fan, I want fewer headaches after the draft, not more. Sorry for that little rant. Not a bad mock overall at all. Nice job OP!
I think Nichushkin to Buffalo makes a lot of sense imho. The main reason being, he clearly looks to be BPA at 8th overall, and I think there is a significant drop-off after him. Any confirmation that he has no desire to come to North America? That would obviously change everything...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote