HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Mihalik was also a late 1st--so the comparison seemed fair to me.

Anyway, I'm nervous now.
duh on my part. anyway, i wouldn't be nervous. flyers are good at 1st round picks. all this flyer aren't good at draft d/developing d is completely overblown. if you look at how many they've actually picked over the last ten years in the first 2 rounds, 5 if i'm not mistaken, and maybe another 4 or 5 in the 3rd round over that same span it's no wonder that we don't have any home grown d talent. drafting, even with good scouts, is a numbers game and the flyers are no different. they simply haven't picked defense in the higher rounds enough to expect anything different then the situation they are currently in. think about the flyers current d prospects, gus and manning were free agent signings, bourdon was a 3rd round pick who seems to have turned out ok minus the injuries and lauridsen is a 7th rounder. flyers are currently working on making something out of nothing. they're only real bust in recent memory is marshall.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Am I just blinded by the flashy numbers or could Nic Petan be the next Giroux?? 120 points in the WHL as a 17 year old.
Yup, I would wait to see how he does next year without Rattie and Leipsic.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Samuel Morin over Rasmus Ristolainen. Enough said.....
Just got my Hockey News Draft Preview: I'll just give the 10D listed for the first round. Interesting....

1. Jones
8. Nurse
10. Pulock
12. Hagg
14. Zadorov
18. Mueller
19. Morrissey
20. Morin
22. Ristolainen
26. McCoshen

Old
05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That was a huge hit. He also rebounded nicely in that tilt.
Brings a smile to my face... And he's only 18 so he's still gonna fill out, the good thing is he has the frame to carry more weight. He's a rock defensively, supposedly there's untapped offensive potential, and he's developing a mean streak.

The question is when draft day comes does Zadorov even make to #11?? He could end up a huge steal.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Am I just blinded by the flashy numbers or could Nic Petan be the next Giroux?? 120 points in the WHL as a 17 year old.
Well, he plays on line (IIRC) with Leier, so the Flyers will have seen him. THN ranked him 42, right in our Rd.2 range.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
Brings a smile to my face... And he's only 18 so he's still gonna fill out, the good thing is he has the frame to carry more weight. He's a rock defensively, supposedly there's untapped offensive potential, and he's developing a mean streak.

The question is when draft day comes does Zadorov even make to #11?? He could end up a huge steal.
He could also end up to be "only" a physical, shut-down defenseman. (Not that that is a bad thing, but you hope for a bit more in the top-10, I think).

From what I can tell, Zadorov might have both the lowest floor and highest ceiling of the 2nd-tier defensive prospects (Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pulock). He's a huge risk. If you hit, you hit big, but I can't say I wouldn't be a bit nervous.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Yeah I always enjoy a hit where the opposing player is parallel to the ice. I'm pretty confident he'll be on the board when we're picking. I would be happy with that selection too.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:27 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Mihalik was also a late 1st--so the comparison seemed fair to me.

Anyway, I'm nervous now.
Ty Wishart would be a better example. That guy was drafted because of his size, despite the fact that he constantly played soft. They'll even be drafted at about the same spot.

Not saying Zadorov will end up like that, just giving another example of a guy that was drafted pretty much because of size.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I got to watch some video on Josh Morrissey tonight from the U-18 tournament and he was FANTASTIC!!!!! I know the Flyers pay close attention to this tournament (that's where they were sold on Scott Laughton) and you couldn't help but notice Morrissey this tournament. He's not the biggest guy (Andrei Markov is a good comparison physically), but damn, what a skater and what a shot. Everyone raves about Pulock, but Morrissey is right up there with him. On top of it, Morrissey has got a bit of a mean streak to him and he can really hit.

I've taken a look at Morrissey's ranking and NHL Central Scouting has him rated the 27th North American skater, ISS has him rated 19th and there's a number of independent groups have him rated as high as 14th. I'd be interested to see what his ranking is after the U18 tournament. I'd love to find out what Flyers scouts think.....
He would be a great pick to trade down for. I would love for Columbus or Calgary to fall in love with a prospect at 11 and the Flyers trade down for two 1sts. They could end up with two solid d prospects then.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, he plays on line (IIRC) with Leier, so the Flyers will have seen him. THN ranked him 42, right in our Rd.2 range.
Leier plays on the second line with Oliver Bjorkstrand and Chase De Leo. Petan centers Brendan Leipsic and Ty Rattie on the 1st line.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Leier plays on the second line with Oliver Bjorkstrand and Chase De Leo. Petan centers Brendan Leipsic and Ty Rattie on the 1st line.
Thanks. Anyway, the Flyer scouts will have see him, Nurse (scouting Cousins) and Zadorov (scouting Scolarz) more than others. We'll find out if they liked what they saw.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Thanks. Anyway, the Flyer scouts will have see him, Nurse (scouting Cousins) and Zadorov (scouting Scolarz) more than others. We'll find out if they liked what they saw.
Yeah it seems like trend with the Flyers lately to take guys from teams they already have prospects playing for.

Noebels played for Portland last year so that's why they saw a lot of Leier and probably decided to take him last year also.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

Quote:
He could also end up to be "only" a physical, shut-down defenseman. (Not that that is a bad thing, but you hope for a bit more in the top-10, I think).

From what I can tell, Zadorov might have both the lowest floor and highest ceiling of the 2nd-tier defensive prospects (Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pulock). He's a huge risk. If you hit, you hit big, but I can't say I wouldn't be a bit nervous.
Probably a fair statement. I would say that all of those d-men have some risk, mostly because the Flyers can't seem to develop d-men very well. At least it seems that way. I do agree that Zadorov may be the biggest "project" out of the d-men in that area but I would be comfortable going for it because of the upside.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I am reading THN tonight, too. I thought it was a typo when I saw the 42nd prospect had 120 points. I hope Petan or Lehkonen are there when we pick in round 2.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Probably a fair statement. I would say that all of those d-men have some risk, mostly because the Flyers can't seem to develop d-men very well. At least it seems that way. I do agree that Zadorov may be the biggest "project" out of the d-men in that area but I would be comfortable going for it because of the upside.
I don't mind going for a project because I think taking the time to develop one properly is the way to go. Look at most of the top dmen in the league. Few of them were skating in the NHL at 18-19. It's rarely a good decision to put them in the league that young. Even Pronger took time and was on his 2nd team when he put it together. I am terrified the Flyers are going to rush whoever they pick into the league next season.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Jack De La Hoya's tiers are correct
They're also delicious.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

If we go a bit off the board for a defenseman, I think it will be Hagg, but maybe I'm just investing the early-season comments / speculation with too much credence.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
If we go a bit off the board for a defenseman, I think it will be Hagg, but maybe I'm just investing the early-season comments / speculation with too much credence.
I rather it be Mueller as an off the board defensemen pick. The last defensemen we took in the first round was Swiss and playing in the WHL too.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
This thread will be locked. Part 4 is now open:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1417991

Closed Thread