HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
The Hockey News Draft Preview has Gauthier 30th overall. Says he has no physical side to his game and so-so competitively. Compared him to a Hanzal.
If Gauthier falls that far I will be ecstatic. In my opinion, he's a top-20 pick with big upside. A project for sure but he definitely has an NHL future. Several people are saying Mantha could fall as well. Tell me those wouldn't be stereotypically perfect picks for the Canadiens.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
If Gauthier falls that far I will be ecstatic. In my opinion, he's a top-20 pick with big upside. A project for sure but he definitely has an NHL future. Several people are saying Mantha could fall as well. Tell me those wouldn't be stereotypically perfect picks for the Canadiens.
would love mantha, not too keen on gauthier. Can't see this organization drafting a kid with work ethic problems like him with our first pick.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The Hockey News Draft Preview has Gauthier 30th overall. Says he has no physical side to his game and so-so competitively. Compared him to a Hanzal.
With Gauthier's play there was a noticeable drop in Feb and March, my opinion is that he hit the "rookie wall" and his play suffered. Once he got a few weeks rest and recuperation he was back to himself and one of the better players on Team Canada at the U18.

He isn't the most physical guy, but not "soft" either. As a center I don't see that as a big deal, he's been willing to go to the dirty areas and block shots, that to me is more important for a center than being physical. I see his upside as similar to Plekanec in a 6'5" package. Low end #1 center or high end #2 on a contender. 70 piint potential plus strong defensive play. People forget that he was on an 85 point pace before Feb 1st.

I think even if you have to trade a 3rd to trade up, if you can get a guy like that any time after #20 you're getting a great pick IMHO.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube 3m Samuel Henley (Val d’Or) has been invited to the #habs draft combine in June. Via @drouinalex

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45152
Quote:
These three moves, if the Habs sign or draft them would be the start to building a team capable of winning the SC. Unless the front office makes use of the knowledge they have in this draft, meaning taking the gambles on players future worth, such as Gauthier, Mantha, Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Lodge, Moutrey, Dauphin, etc. then the Habs are still stagnant. Only in striving to be the best, not just talent but all round team balance is the key, the Habs already have the Goalie (Price) Defenceman (Subban) Centers,

Old
05-01-2013, 02:33 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Jérôme Bérubé ‏@Jerome_Berube 3m Samuel Henley (Val d’Or) has been invited to the #habs draft combine in June. Via @drouinalex

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45152
Quote:
These three moves, if the Habs sign or draft them would be the start to building a team capable of winning the SC. Unless the front office makes use of the knowledge they have in this draft, meaning taking the gambles on players future worth, such as Gauthier, Mantha, Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Lodge, Moutrey, Dauphin, etc. then the Habs are still stagnant. Only in striving to be the best, not just talent but all round team balance is the key. The Habs already have the Goalie (Price) Defenceman (Subban) Centers (Plekanec,Desharnais,Eller) the Habs drafting a big center that plays defence and wingers with size to complement their smaller scorers, are huge concerns. As are the size of the defence corps adding Diaby, Morin or Santini to the propspects coming is a necessary duty if the Habs are to compete with St. Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim for the SC, first of course there are the Eastern teams to deal with. Without having talented big men in their lineup they may as well spin their collective wheels until they pass out. Go Big Go should be the Habs chant at the 2013 Entry Draft. IMHO.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Impressive stat, Rychel leads all teammates by a 32 point gap as Windsor's top scorer, Vail is 2nd at 55 points.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
would love mantha, not too keen on gauthier. Can't see this organization drafting a kid with work ethic problems like him with our first pick.
Hadn't heard or seen any work ethic problems until the Hockey News preview. His conditioning isn't spectacular but I wouldn't say that he has a bad work ethic, seems like a very driven player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
These three moves, if the Habs sign or draft them would be the start to building a team capable of winning the SC. Unless the front office makes use of the knowledge they have in this draft, meaning taking the gambles on players future worth, such as Gauthier, Mantha, Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Lodge, Moutrey, Dauphin, etc. then the Habs are still stagnant. Only in striving to be the best, not just talent but all round team balance is the key, the Habs already have the Goalie (Price) Defenceman (Subban) Centers,
Though it's not a popular opinion, I'd trade up for Gauthier and/or Mantha. I'd rather we guarantee ourselves high-impact prospects than hope for the best to drop to us. I'd cash in our 4 picks in the 1st and second for two 1sts around 15-20. I think the top-20 is a cut above 20-50.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
The biggest problem with the THN draft preview is they release it WAY TOO EARLY.

They should wait for the end of the U-18 to do their rankings, if not the end of the Memorial Cup. Release your draft issue early June.

After Gauthier's U-18, I am fairly certain he'd be much higher than 30th if the rankings were done now.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
They're not stereotypical Timmis pick.

Quote:
Though it's not a popular opinion, I'd trade up for Gauthier and/or Mantha. I'd rather we guarantee ourselves high-impact prospects than hope for the best to drop to us. I'd cash in our 4 picks in the 1st and second for two 1sts around 15-20. I think the top-20 is a cut above 20-50.
Trading up to guarantee that we pick two players that are on the same level, or lower than 30-40 others ? This draft is deep, I'll tell you that. I'd much rather we draft the other Q guys(or them) without spending assets rather than moving up to just draft a player equal in talent to alot, just because he has the right name and the right size. This is ridiculous.

Watched some of my games I had saved... Nastasiuk looks awesome. I'm of the idea that our prospect pool is too similar... High-iq/Skill forwards everywhere. But we have no real energy big bodies. Nastasiuk would fit that well! Justin Bailey would help us there too.

Last edited by Mrb1p: 05-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
They're ot stereotypical Timmis pick.

Trading up to guarantee that we pick two players that are on the same level, or lower than 30-40 others ? This draft is deep, I'll tell you that. I'd much rather we draft the other Q guys(or them) without spending assets rather than moving up to just draft a player equal in talent to alot, just because he has the right name and the right size. This is ridiculous.
I'm not solely looking to move up for Gauthier/Mantha. As I said, the top 20 and especially those that fall out of the top-15 are players that I think will be above those available at 25-40. I'm talking Wennberg, Ristolainen, Pulock, Mueller, Mantha and to a lesser extent (as he seems to have fallen) Gauthier. In no way are there 30-40 players that are above Mantha and Gauthier in terms of skill, let alone size and skill.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
MXD

Quote:
...Seriously, if you tell me that I'd draft Martin Hanzal at at 30th overall, I'm jumping on the occasion right away...

Old
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hanzal is very competitive and physical...

Old
05-01-2013, 04:34 PM
S Bah

Quote:
They're not stereotypical Timmis pick.

Watched some of my games I had saved... Nastasiuk looks awesome. I'm of the idea that our prospect pool is too similar... High-iq/Skill forwards everywhere. But we have no real energy big bodies. Nastasiuk would fit that well! Justin Bailey would help us there too.
I have to agree with both Nastasiuk and Bailey being the new Habs type of player. For the later rounds there are many real talented forwards to be had Daniel Lafontaine that was a teammate of Bailey's playing for Pat Lafontaine at Long Island Royals. Then Taylor Cammarrata and Chris Clapperton another two centers with dazzling moves and Raphael Lafontaine whose speed and flair while being the Capt. of Acadie-Bathurst are just a couple of players that ooze talent but can be picked with a 6th or 7th pick due to their small size. Bailey and Nastasiuk will be there when the Habs start to draft IMO. they are great picks.

Last edited by S Bah: 05-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...Seriously, if you tell me that I'd draft Martin Hanzal at at 30th overall, I'm jumping on the occasion right away...
Hanzal is the polar opposite of Gauthier. He's a perimeter player... He's more like ...Handzus, Zajac and Couturier.

Quote:
I'm not solely looking to move up for Gauthier/Mantha. As I said, the top 20 and especially those that fall out of the top-15 are players that I think will be above those available at 25-40. I'm talking Wennberg, Ristolainen, Pulock, Mueller, Mantha and to a lesser extent (as he seems to have fallen) Gauthier. In no way are there 30-40 players that are above Mantha and Gauthier in terms of skill, let alone size and skill.
10-30 are a mix up. I'd even say 40. There's a whole lot of people who could fall/rise to our pick. You can't trade a pick in a draft deep like this one. Look up my 1st round mock I did two pages ago.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:52 PM
MXD

Quote:
Hanzal is the polar opposite of Gauthier. He's a perimeter player... He's more like ...Handzus, Zajac and Couturier.
I know that -- I've seen Gauthier live quite a few times this year. But the comparison was with Hanzal... and if you can draft a Martin Hanzal 30th overall, well, you do it.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Saw Gauthier quite a few times this year live. He will not initiate hits. Not a whole lot. When he does, it is stricly by the book...to separate the man from the puck. So it's not really in him to be physical....but people needs to make the difference between hating it or being worried to hit and be hit, and just not being his game and concentrating on other things in his game. Gauthier is really a thinker on the ice. I'll tell you, from up close, you almost see him thinking. But he will not be afraid of being hit. I believe it is something you could see Gauthier learning as he progresses. He will clearly be open to the coaches' comments as they will surely ask him to involve himself more in the play.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Saw Gauthier quite a few times this year live. He will not initiate hits. Not a whole lot. When he does, it is stricly by the book...to separate the man from the puck. So it's not really in him to be physical....but people needs to make the difference between hating it or being worried to hit and be hit, and just not being his game and concentrating on other things in his game. Gauthier is really a thinker on the ice. I'll tell you, from up close, you almost see him thinking. But he will not be afraid of being hit. I believe it is something you could see Gauthier learning as he progresses. He will clearly be open to the coaches' comments as they will surely ask him to involve himself more in the play.
That's why I compared him to Handzus... Which I think is not too far off what he will be. He's not the kind of player we need in our prospect pool and he likely won't be BPA as they're 20 other players like him.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Top Corner2

There is just too many guys that "should go top 20"

Bodes well for our top 3 picks. I get the feeling the picks at 34 & 36 (?) will be in the same tier as our 1st pick.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I know that -- I've seen Gauthier live quite a few times this year. But the comparison was with Hanzal... and if you can draft a Martin Hanzal 30th overall, well, you do it.
He slipped to 25 in the mock. Habs gotta be workin the phone to trade up for him at that point.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

I swear you guy's get delusional like some leafs fan when a 6'4 QC center is in question

Old
05-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
I swear you guy's get delusional like some leafs fan when a 6'4 QC center is in question
Leafs fans lose it too when they see a 6'4" Quebec center? Cherry will have a heart attack!

I think you're underestimating Gauthier. From the limited games I've seen, if he falls to us I'd take him without a moment's hesitation. I know tournaments don't paint the whole picture but Gauthier came to play the last three games of the U18. The three most important games.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Leafs fans lose it too when they see a 6'4" Quebec center? Cherry will have a heart attack!

I think you're underestimating Gauthier. From the limited games I've seen, if he falls to us I'd take him without a moment's hesitation. I know tournaments don't paint the whole picture but Gauthier came to play the last three games of the U18. The three most important games.
I would pick him too. Not without thinking about it, but I'd probably pick him.

But to move in the top 20 to take him is dumb. There's much better than him in the top 20.(Albeit probably smaller and not french.)

Old
05-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

What I find dumb is that some label him a "shut down center" and by association a 3rd line center. The guy was on pace for 85 poits until a late season slide and he once again showed strong offensive skill at the U18. Lots of NHLers are good defensively and still 1st or 2nd line centers...Datsyuk Plerkanec J.Staal Bergeron M.Koivu H.Sedin Backes etc

Old
05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
What I find dumb is that some label him a "shut down center" and by association a 3rd line center. The guy was on pace for 85 poits until a late season slide and he once again showed strong offensive skill at the U18. Lots of NHLers are good defensively and still 1st or 2nd line centers...Datsyuk Plerkanec J.Staal Bergeron M.Koivu H.Sedin Backes etc
No one ever labeled him a shutdown C... We question his upside.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
No one can be delusional as a Leaf fan!

Habs have been needing a big center since forever...and one comes along out of QC with skill, smarts, vision, every skill required...they have been waiting as long for one of those as the Leafs have for a cup.

The real problem is that his name reminds everyone of the most unpopular Habs GM since...Grundman?

Closed Thread