HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 04:05 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
If legwand was 18 right now and played the same now as he did at eighteen when we drafted him, where would be rank in this draft?!
How about if he was 19 and finished 3rd on his team in scoring, behind 2 players that didn't make the NHL? (true story, bro).

These are hypothetical questions that can't be answered and only going to lead to statements like the above (sixth, seventh round).

Old
05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Look at Tootoo - he put up 74 pts in 51 games in the WHL before joining the Preds.
There is a link floating around here comparing Barkov's year to the Sedins that I think offers some decent comparables.
Probably between 8-12 is what I would say.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
How about if he was 19 and finished 3rd on his team in scoring, behind 2 players that didn't make the NHL? (true story, bro).

These are hypothetical questions that can't be answered and only going to lead to statements like the above (sixth, seventh round).
Yeah but he had that third place on his team season 'after' he was drafted. Mackinnon or drouin or barkov could do same thing.

I'm just saying his year of draft and before that, based on his play, size, style, speed, etc. where would he be ranked in this draft?

Old
05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

How the **** did this turn into another Legwand debate?

Back on topic, please. Legwand is not in this year's draft.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Wilson is your 1C. He has been projected to play that role since he was drafted. This season he was finally playing consistent enough to gain Trotzes trust. Before his injury, Trotz mentioned that he could be moved to C in the next year, meaning late in the season or next season. I don't think either the pick this year, whoever it is, or Forsberg will be ready to play C on the top line for another 2-3 years.
I really don't see wilson at Center and thats ok. I would love to see a Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg top line a couple years down the road. Wilson imo should stick to playing wing.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I really don't see wilson at Center and thats ok. I would love to see a Wilson/Barkov/Forsberg top line a couple years down the road. Wilson imo should stick to playing wing.
I like the sounds of that line!
Size and skill, just what the doctor ordered for us!

Imagine the powerplay?? Those three up front and weber and Ellis on the blueline!

Old
05-01-2013, 08:36 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
me neither, it isnt broken, dont fix it. I could see him moving to center then his numbers dropping. If we add another center we can move leggy to wing as well. We know he is more then capable of playing that position.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:33 PM
maplepred

If nichushkin was any other background than Russian, would you think he would be considered a higher pick than any forwards in the draft?

And not in khl

Old
05-01-2013, 09:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
If nichushkin was any other background than Russian, would you think he would be considered a higher pick than any forwards in the draft?

And not in khl
The KHL contract is the giant albatross here. Russian without that contract and he's a top three pick.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:50 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The KHL contract is the giant albatross here. Russian without that contract and he's a top three pick.
So you think he would be above barkov? And possibly one or both of Mack and drouin?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
So you think he would be above barkov? And possibly one or both of Mack and drouin?
He is #2 skater overall on the ISS rankings and how much the contract figures into his spot on other lists is conjecture ... but it is the one drawback that gets routinely mentioned.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Id LOL if poile drafts nichushkin. I wouldnt be the least bit upset and would be a ballsy move that could net us possibly best player out of the draft.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Id LOL if poile drafts nichushkin. I wouldnt be the least bit upset and would be a ballsy move that could net us possibly best player out of the draft.
I'd love the move if we could get him to NA this fall, but, with his current KHL contract that is highly unlikely. He's another highly skilled, big kid playing against men right now.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:36 PM
maplepred

So nichushkin has more potential than barkov, Mack and drouin? Only guy ahead of him is jones?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
So nichushkin has more potential than barkov, Mack and drouin? Only guy ahead of him is jones?
Who knows - I think you can throw them all in a hat and just pick one. They are all projected to be impact elite players in the NHL. I hope the one we get is. But right now no one really knows how it will all turn out.

Just hope Poile and the scouts grab a guy who will help the Preds for years to come at 4.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:45 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I'd love the move if we could get him to NA this fall, but, with his current KHL contract that is highly unlikely. He's another highly skilled, big kid playing against men right now.
He does have an NHL out clause. I agree though, Id honestly be thrilled. The way he plays looks exactly like Evgeni Malkin. Just look at his bronze medal GWG against Canada in the WJC's. He displayed what he does best. Im torn between him and Barkov.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:58 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Who knows - I think you can throw them all in a hat and just pick one. They are all projected to be impact elite players in the NHL. I hope the one we get is. But right now no one really knows how it will all turn out.

Just hope Poile and the scouts grab a guy who will help the Preds for years to come at 4.

Very good analogy.

I'm kind of getting a vibe the two euros (bark and nich) may possibly end up better than the Canadian teammates (drouin and Mack).

All in time we shall know though...

This is nuts though! As if the one season we bomb, there is 4 franchise forwards available in the draft!! Maybe the hockey gods are looking at us and shedding some light?!

Old
05-01-2013, 11:15 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
He does have an NHL out clause. I agree though, Id honestly be thrilled. The way he plays looks exactly like Evgeni Malkin. Just look at his bronze medal GWG against Canada in the WJC's. He displayed what he does best. Im torn between him and Barkov.
There are conflicting reports about when the out clause kicks in with most I've seen stating summer 2014, and we are talking about KHL/NHL relations here which means almost anything can happen. With the options available, I'll leave the hand wringing to others.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:26 PM
maplepred

I would just be bitter if we wasted such a high pick in such a deep draft and nichushkin ended up staying in Russia.

Poile would never have a Russian on our team again ever if that was the case.

I think it's best just to go with barkov, he will be elite, and if he gets picked before fourth, then take Mack or drouin, whoever wasn't taken.

I'd love to have nich, but just to scary the risk

Old
05-01-2013, 11:47 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Just a hypothetical. If Poile could somehow garner another pick in the 1st round say in the 10-15 range and Nichushkin fell because of his KHL contract, would you take the risk and draft him? I think I would.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:59 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Just a hypothetical. If Poile could somehow garner another pick in the 1st round say in the 10-15 range and Nichushkin fell because of his KHL contract, would you take the risk and draft him? I think I would.
I would in 10-15 in a heartbeat!! But I would be shocked if he slipped that far, very doubtful.

But I wouldn't take him over guys like barkov, Mack, drouin because the talent is all very close, but none of those three have the khl contract.

I would take nichushkin fifth overall over guys like monahan and Lindholm to be honest, he just has way more potential, the draft really drops after top 5, then even bigger drop after top 10.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:54 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I wanted us to win the #1 pick, then trade it to florida (they could always use a defenseman right?) and take Drouin in the second spot. But now I've been falling for all the Barkov hype and I'm worried he might be taken in the top 3.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Huffman

Quote:
I would in 10-15 in a heartbeat!! But I would be shocked if he slipped that far, very doubtful.

But I wouldn't take him over guys like barkov, Mack, drouin because the talent is all very close, but none of those three have the khl contract.

I would take nichushkin fifth overall over guys like monahan and Lindholm to be honest, he just has way more potential, the draft really drops after top 5, then even bigger drop after top 10.
How much have you seen him play? I'd say he's got less offensive potential than Monahan. I've watched Nichushkin quite closely in the WJC and U18-WJC and he does not appear to have a whole lot more than great speed, size and strength. His Hockey IQ is just way lower than any of the other top forwards, basically all of his offense comes off the rush and I wonder how that will translate to the NHL with the smaller ice surface and stronger/faster opponents. There were maybe 3-4 guys on his own team that impressed me more at the U18's.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I wanted us to win the #1 pick, then trade it to florida (they could always use a defenseman right?) and take Drouin in the second spot. But now I've been falling for all the Barkov hype and I'm worried he might be taken in the top 3.
well, if he is, then that means we will end up getting Drouin, so its all good.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
How much have you seen him play? I'd say he's got less offensive potential than Monahan. I've watched Nichushkin quite closely in the WJC and U18-WJC and he does not appear to have a whole lot more than great speed, size and strength. His Hockey IQ is just way lower than any of the other top forwards, basically all of his offense comes off the rush and I wonder how that will translate to the NHL with the smaller ice surface and stronger/faster opponents. There were maybe 3-4 guys on his own team that impressed me more at the U18's.
Nichushkin has far more offensive potential than Monahan(whose offensive potential has been questioned)

It's like comparing Ovechkin to Shawn Horcoff.

Closed Thread