HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 Playoff Discussion Thread: Kings vs Blues

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Same. He wasn't great, but he did do his job defensively. Is that not enough? Sure, he could have been better, but so could have a lot of players, to be honest. J-Bo needs to put more on his passes. Perron needs to stop stickhandling instead of reading the ice. I'd like to see better and more D to D passes as well. Have to get goalies moving side to side and create lanes through passing.
Wanna know something crazy? The fact that we are sitting here nitpicking Perron, and Perron alone over a game we won tells me we played really freaking well.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
So awesome to watch. Love the part starting at 2:21 that shows that maze of players coming into the pile.
Lol poor Schwartzy. He's just a little guy...he can't join in.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

So the key to this series is forcing Quick to play the puck?

Old
05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Twisted Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
So the key to this series is forcing Quick to play the puck?
So instead of shooting the puck at Quick...we "pass" it to him

Old
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

seeing the video with Kelly and pang calling the game on FSM makes me sad i had to watch it on CNBC.....

Old
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I may be alone in this but I didn't think Quick was anywhere as good as he's been in two years against us. He gave up a ton of fat rebounds, he was scrambling, misplaying the puck all night and was literally beat for a goal at least 7-10 times. The Blues just didn't bury the puck. Watching that game I wasn't the least bit intimidated by him. He wasn't awful but I didn't think he was amazing by any stretch. I'd take that game from hm every night if I could.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Twisted Blue

Just wonder what defensive pairings you all would like to see for game 2. Personally I did not believe Shatty or Jackman played very well and would like to see Russell get in game 2.
J-Bo/Pietro
Leo/Shatty
Russell/Polak
Give Jackman extra rest.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Twisted Blue

Also wouldn't mind seeing Tarasenko in for A-Mac or Oshie(only if ankle not responding well).

Old
05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Blue View Post
Just wonder what defensive pairings you all would like to see for game 2. Personally I did not believe Shatty or Jackman played very well and would like to see Russell get in game 2.
J-Bo/Pietro
Leo/Shatty
Russell/Polak
Give Jackman extra rest.
No way in hell to sitting jackman. He made one bad pass. Other than that he played awesome. What I'd like to see is Jax go back with Shatty and slide Leopold down with polak.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:55 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I may be alone in this but I didn't think Quick was anywhere as good as he's been in two years against us. He gave up a ton of fat rebounds, he was scrambling, misplaying the puck all night and was literally beat for a goal at least 7-10 times. The Blues just didn't bury the puck. Watching that game I wasn't the least bit intimidated by him. He wasn't awful but I didn't think he was amazing by any stretch. I'd take that game from hm every night if I could.
I agree completely. I think the one area we -really- need to work on is getting to the post and staying there. Too often did rebounds pop out in dangerous areas with no Blues player hustling to really crash the net. Too much watching and waiting on rushes for one-timers and slick plays. The fellas need to get their big ass to the net and stay there. The rebounds will come!

Old
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Big Huff

I wish we would of won in regulation. But I'm glad I got to the see the overtime win at Mike Shannons after the cards game.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
I agree completely. I think the one area we -really- need to work on is getting to the post and staying there. Too often did rebounds pop out in dangerous areas with no Blues player hustling to really crash the net. Too much watching and waiting on rushes for one-timers and slick plays. The fellas need to get their big ass to the net and stay there. The rebounds will come!
The Blues had net presence, but typically only in the passerby capacity. I don't think our guys understand that they are supposed to plant themselves there.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:51 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
The Blues had net presence, but typically only in the passerby capacity. I don't think our guys understand that they are supposed to plant themselves there.
Quote of the season by far, Outstanding Celtic!

Old
05-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Alklha

We've basically been doing it all season. When we have control of the puck behind the net, how often is there ever someone in front of the net to centre to? I think Schwartz was one of the few who actually attempted to screen Quick last night as well.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:24 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'm starting to think I watched a different game than some of you. I saw Blues players in the hard areas all night. In terms of getting to the hard areas that was the best game the Blues have played under Hitchcock. They were outhustling Kings to nearly every puck in front of Quick and just firing off of bodies in front or pipes or just wide. It was crazy.

Comments suggesting that the Blues need to be better at getting to the front of the net than they were in this specific game is maybe the strongest I've disagreed with anything on this board in several years. They need to get better at finishing.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
I'm starting to think I watched a different game than some of you. I saw Blues players in the hard areas all night. In terms of getting to the hard areas that was the best game the Blues have played under Hitchcock. They were outhustling Kings to nearly every puck in front of Quick and just firing off of bodies in front or pipes or just wide. It was crazy.

Comments suggesting that the Blues need to be better at getting to the front of the net than they were in this specific game is maybe the strongest I've disagreed with anything on this board in several years. They need to get better at finishing.
That was our most complete game of the year. But I totally agree with you about lack of finishing. It will be our downfall if we don't fix it.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:28 PM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Game Plan: Pass the puck to Quick.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:

I don't think the Blues did bad getting to the front of the net. Where the Blues end up and how long they are there is the area the Blues can improve on. The Blues did well in comparison to their past efforts these last few years, but the fact of the matter is they do not position themselves well near the crease. The best netfront teams don't have to skate to the rebound, they are already there for the release. We haven't figured that part of the game out. The Blues seem to think that getting to the crease is enough.

As for the finishing, I don't see anyone disagreeing. But that has been a problem for a long time.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:43 PM
carter333167

My eyes may have deceived me but I thought Jackman had a rough game. It seemed that everytime things got dicey in our end, Jackman was on the ice. Could be wrong though....just an impression.

It was such a great game that it's hard to nitpick but the one issue that scared me was that it seemed that we really went into a shell with about 5-7 minutes left in regulation. The Blues seemed to only want to lob the puck into the LA zone and peel off for a line change, completely abandoning the forecheck. I think that was a major tactical miscalculation (I place the blame on the coaches as they must be calling for it) as the Kings really started generating some speed exiting their own zone and through neutral ice. I think we really have to maintain the forecheck throughout the game, even with a lead. We need to contest the puck at both blue lines and through the neutral zone to prevent their skill players from gaining our zone with speed.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:51 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter333167 View Post
My eyes may have deceived me but I thought Jackman had a rough game. It seemed that everytime things got dicey in our end, Jackman was on the ice. Could be wrong though....just an impression.

It was such a great game that it's hard to nitpick but the one issue that scared me was that it seemed that we really went into a shell with about 5-7 minutes left in regulation. The Blues seemed to only want to lob the puck into the LA zone and peel off for a line change, completely abandoning the forecheck. I think that was a major tactical miscalculation (I place the blame on the coaches as they must be calling for it) as the Kings really started generating some speed exiting their own zone and through neutral ice. I think we really have to maintain the forecheck throughout the game, even with a lead. We need to contest the puck at both blue lines and through the neutral zone to prevent their skill players from gaining our zone with speed.
I thought Jackman made a couple of bad decisions in the second period, but overall I thought he was solid. Puck moving has never been his specialty, and I thought he got in trouble a couple of times due to their forecheck, which is an area he's always struggled.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:11 PM
carter333167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I thought Jackman made a couple of bad decisions in the second period, but overall I thought he was solid. Puck moving has never been his specialty, and I thought he got in trouble a couple of times due to their forecheck, which is an area he's always struggled.
Do you think Russell is a safer or riskier play against the Kings?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Robb_K

Quote:

That's quite an understatement. Right now it takes them about shots on goal to get 1-2 goals, while it takes most other teams about 20-25. The Blues double up shots on the other team while their goalie has a shutout, and they only have a 1-goal lead. And then they tire out, and just go into a defensive shell for the last 5 to 9 minutes trying to preserve the 1-goal lead, - but often eventually giving up the tying (and often winning) goal.

They've GOT to get better at putting the puck into the net. They're getting a reasonable amount of decent chances- just not succeeding very well at taking advantage of them.

McDonald, Perron, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, and Stewart all have soft hands. Even Backes has some scoring touch. They have the potential. Apparently, several of them are just not all that skilled at shooting. Several of them seem to make poor choices, such as trying to go 5-hole when they should just lift the puck, or shooting the puck too soon, directly towards where the goalie is moving, rather than making a little move and putting the puck behind him.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:58 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter333167 View Post
Do you think Russell is a safer or riskier play against the Kings?
I'd keep Jackman in there because he's had such a great year, and he plays that mean, physical game that the Blues obviously want to play against Kings, and he was still pretty good last night. If someone got injured, I would have absolutely no reservations about putting Russell in there because he was strong last year against the Kings, and the last two months of this season, he was quite steady. That said, I think if we're icing our very best line up, Russ is in the press box.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 05-01-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old
05-01-2013, 11:45 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Yep it wasn't Jackmans best game but no way Hitch sits him.
We need his physicality and he's one of our only guys who can get under their skin

Alone the shift he blocked 2 shots and even threw a hit right after the second block makes him "unsitable" for me

Old
05-02-2013, 12:16 AM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
Yep it wasn't Jackmans best game but no way Hitch sits him.
We need his physicality and he's one of our only guys who can get under their skin

Alone the shift he blocked 2 shots and even threw a hit right after the second block makes him "unsitable" for me
Yep, Blues need Jackman's intangibles back there especially against the Kings. Unless he turns into a complete liability, he needs to play.

Closed Thread