HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Avs d-man situation

Old
05-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Avs71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Do you envision Seth eventually playing LD with EJ?

If so, he should get to know that position from the get-go, not play RD with Hejda. IMO.
I wonder what would be easier for him. Transition to the NHL on his good side, and then once he is comfortable playing against NHL level competition night in and night out, move him to the left. Or just throw him right into the fire. If he really is a Doughty level prospect, then I would say just throw him on the left with EJ right away. Doughty averaged almost 24 minutes a night as a rookie, if that is the level Jones is at, then he should play roughly the same. The Avs could use the defencemen like the Rangers, where EJ, Barrie, and Jones all average 24 minutes, and then the rest get roughly 13 minutes.

Someone is going to have to switch the left side unless the new coach has the same beliefs as Sacco.

I don't really care if the Avs start with:

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Vet*-Barrie

(Vet* being only 1 of Hunwick/O'Brien/Zanon. The other two are gone)

Because Wilson will eventually miss some time. As long as their is only one Vet* on the roster, then the Avs will be forced to call up Seimens or Elliott and someone will have to slide the left side of EJ.

However, I so badly want to see either Barrie-EJ or Jones-EJ for the majority of next year.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:26 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Do you envision Seth eventually playing LD with EJ?

If so, he should get to know that position from the get-go, not play RD with Hejda. IMO.
Yeah I wasn't too concerned with the sides that they would play on when I wrote my opinion, just that they should be the pairings.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:45 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Zanon is such a terrible player that there are no scenarios in which Colorado would be better off with him.
One terrible year preceded by several years of being a solid depth guy. If Chuck Kobasew had a decent season left in the tank, this guy might too.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I wonder what would be easier for him. Transition to the NHL on his good side, and then once he is comfortable playing against NHL level competition night in and night out, move him to the left. Or just throw him right into the fire. If he really is a Doughty level prospect, then I would say just throw him on the left with EJ right away. Doughty averaged almost 24 minutes a night as a rookie, if that is the level Jones is at, then he should play roughly the same. The Avs could use the defencemen like the Rangers, where EJ, Barrie, and Jones all average 24 minutes, and then the rest get roughly 13 minutes.

Someone is going to have to switch the left side unless the new coach has the same beliefs as Sacco.

I don't really care if the Avs start with:

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Vet*-Barrie

(Vet* being only 1 of Hunwick/O'Brien/Zanon. The other two are gone)

Because Wilson will eventually miss some time. As long as their is only one Vet* on the roster, then the Avs will be forced to call up Seimens or Elliott and someone will have to slide the left side of EJ.

However, I so badly want to see either Barrie-EJ or Jones-EJ for the majority of next year.
I wasn't saying that Jones should play on the top pairing with EJ right away, but rather that he should maybe start playing LD right away, with whomever...

05-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Avs71

Quote:
I wasn't saying that Jones should play on the top pairing with EJ right away, but rather that he should maybe start playing LD right away, with whomever...
No, I got that. I was just adding that if he really is as good as he is hyped to be, then why not just start with him EJ. Problem with starting on the left and his partner not being EJ is then it will have to be Barrie, Elliott, or someone like O'Brien.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
No, I got that. I was just adding that if he really is as good as he is hyped to be, then why not just start with him EJ. Problem with starting on the left and his partner not being EJ is then it will have to be Barrie, Elliott, or someone like O'Brien.
I really think we need to go out and get one of the better left handed shutdown veterans that will be available in free-agency. Jones should probably start out on the right side until it's decided he can handle the NHL pace. Once that happens, then he could be tried on the left side. There is no reason to make things even more difficult on him from the start.

I like,

Barrie - EJ

Scuderi - Jones

Hejda - Wilson/Elliott

Hunwick/SOB

Two of Zannon, SOB, and Hunwick need to be moved out IMO (Buy out Zannon, and trade one of the others). Barrie has shown he can handle 20+ a night and not be a liability, Barrie was also the one that was put out there on the left side at the end of the year between him and Elliott.

If Jones proves to be able to play the left side at a high level, then you swap Barrie and Jones in that lineup. Either way works...

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
tucker3434

I still hope we bring in somebody to be EJ's partner on the left side. Then we can rotate Hejda, Barrie, Jones, and Elliott as needed. Wilson and hunwick as 7/8. I'm a little afraid we bring in another guy in fa that has been a 3/4 with his prior team but we try to turn him into a 1/2. We should have plenty of 3/4 guys next year, and I want Elliott and barrie getting that ice time.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Foppa Frossa

Do you guys see us sticking with Wilson? He has a tough time staying healthy and we have a lot of rookies vying for roster spots. We would miss his physicality, but I'm not sure his potential upside is worth it. If our rookies all do well, I don't see him cracking the top 4.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Wilson would be good on the 3rd pairing if the D prospects progress as expected.

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Wilson would be good on the 3rd pairing if the D prospects progress as expected.
Wilson would be GREAT on third pairing. He can play top-4 minutes, but he's just too injury-prone for that kind of role. Let's hope he stays healthy next season. He has potential to be solid top-3/4 guy.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Do you guys see us sticking with Wilson? He has a tough time staying healthy and we have a lot of rookies vying for roster spots. We would miss his physicality, but I'm not sure his potential upside is worth it. If our rookies all do well, I don't see him cracking the top 4.
He is definitely better than Hunwick/Zannon/O'Brien. If he is healthy he is the best hitter on the team, and one of the best fighters. If he doesn't stay healthy this next season, I think it might be time to move on without him.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Foppa Frossa

If Siemens impresses in camp, would you rather have him or Wilson in that bottom pairing? I feel like Hejda and to some extent Johnson can fill that vet role at this point.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
If Siemens impresses in camp, would you rather have him or Wilson in that bottom pairing? I feel like Hejda and to some extent Johnson can fill that vet role at this point.
Wilson. Siemens should be getting 22-26 minutes a game in Lake Erie. Then when Wilson gets hurt you can call Siemens up if he is the best option.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
What difference does it make if he plays the spot in 10 games when Wilson gets injured or from the start?

Siemens should start in LE, my only concern is the lack of PM guys down there for him to work with.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:43 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Seems would need to have a HUGE camp and play great in exhibition to get a shot at starting the season with the Avalanche. The potential addition of Jones re-enforces that even further.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:59 AM
the_fan

I really hope Siemens makes the team next year.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
outoftune

so am I in the minority here to want to have the our D look like this by december next year (hoping buyouts are used effectively)?

EJ
Jones
Barrie
Elliott
Siemens
Hejda
Wilson

Combos will change obviously but something like

EJ Jones
Barrie Hejda
Elliott Siemens

Wilson

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:50 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Seems would need to have a HUGE camp and play great in exhibition to get a shot at starting the season with the Avalanche. The potential addition of Jones re-enforces that even further.
I honestly feel a bit bad for Duncan, because he has apparently worked very hard to have a bounce-back year, and from all accounts looked pretty damn good.

Now he's going to (potentially) get passed up on the Depth Chart before he even plays a game in an Avs sweater.

But passing up a player like Jones is something that the Avs should not do.

Hopefully he'd realize that realistically it might only be for about a year, because if he (Siemens) keeps playing like he has, then there's no reason not to expect him to make the Avs team in some form or fashion in the 2014-15 season.

And I wouldn't put it out of the question to see him get some games in next year...and who knows, if he plays exceptionally well then he is going to force some decisions.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:02 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I honestly feel a bit bad for Duncan, because he has apparently worked very hard to have a bounce-back year, and from all accounts looked pretty damn good.

Now he's going to (potentially) get passed up on the Depth Chart before he even plays a game in an Avs sweater.

Hopefully he'd realize that realistically it might only be for about a year, because if he (Siemens) keeps playing like he has, then there's no reason not to expect him to make the Avs team in some form or fashion in the 2014-15 season.

And I wouldn't put it out of the question to see him get some games in next year...and who knows, if he plays exceptionally well then he is going to force some decisions.
Shouldn't be a hard decision to make at all if Siemens has a good camp and ready for NHL.

He's gonna replace Hunwick, Zanon, O'Brien or Wilson. All of this players are easily replacable

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:37 AM
dsheehan73

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftune View Post
so am I in the minority here to want to have the our D look like this by december next year (hoping buyouts are used effectively)?

EJ
Jones
Barrie
Elliott
Siemens
Hejda
Wilson

Combos will change obviously but something like

EJ Jones
Barrie Hejda
Elliott Siemens

Wilson
Not sure I've ever seen an NHL team ice 4 of 6 defensemen w/ less than 1 season's worth of NHL experience. Likely Siemens and Elliott (b/c of Jones) are in Lake Erie.

dsheehan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:21 AM
ScotAv

I'd be tempted to let Siemens have Elliott and top pairing minutes in LE right off the bat. Would hopefully help his transition to the AHL. Would also hopefully increase Elliotts confidence. Particularly if Jones comes in and makes it right away. I'd like to see Elliott given the time away from the spotlight to work on his game. Even though he looked really good towards the end of the season.

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:35 PM
NWAvs

What is everyone's views/expectations of Siemens at camp?

Thanks

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

I don't feel bad for Siemens at all. He's passed in the depth spot, but with us being weak on the Left, along with him being more of a DFD he'll have his place on the team when he earns it. I also think he was drafted with the idea of becoming Elliot's partner eventually

I personally want Siemens - Elliot combo in the AHL to start. Give Jones a 9 game trial, but unless he blows us away with his play, keep him in the WHL for another year. My ideal line pairing for next year:

Scuderi - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Hunwick
O'Brien

Elliot could take Hunwicks spot, but I still think playing top line AHL minutes will be just as good for his development compared to playing in the NHL. Hunny will be good once he's regulated to bottom pairing minutes, and it will help increase his trade value if he's solid.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I don't feel bad for Siemens at all. He's passed in the depth spot, but with us being weak on the Left, along with him being more of a DFD he'll have his place on the team when he earns it. I also think he was drafted with the idea of becoming Elliot's partner eventually

I personally want Siemens - Elliot combo in the AHL to start. Give Jones a 9 game trial, but unless he blows us away with his play, keep him in the WHL for another year. My ideal line pairing for next year:

Scuderi - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Hunwick
O'Brien

Elliot could take Hunwicks spot, but I still think playing top line AHL minutes will be just as good for his development compared to playing in the NHL. Hunny will be good once he's regulated to bottom pairing minutes, and it will help increase his trade value if he's solid.
If we draft Jones first overall he will start and stay with us all year long . I dont remember the last First overall pick who was sent back and/or didnt play at 18 ( EJ maybe ? ) . I fully agree with you, in an ideal world we would take our time with him because Jones is a Dman. They take more time to fully develop plus we have to patient with them to make sure that they reach their full potential.

They will probably start him with reduce icetime and give Jones more and more minutes as the games will pass , they wont put him in situations that will hurt his development , but that's all they will do . You can be almost certain that if we draft him , as a first overall pick , he will start and stay the whole season with us.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Just as a comparison, Hedman has averaged 20+ minutes from the day he was drafted.

Right or wrong, Jones is probably going to get that. I personally wish he wouldn't, but that's just the way it's probably going to go.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote