HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

LatvianTwist's 2013 Mock Draft 3.0 (Top 14 - Lottery Edition)

Old
05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
LatvianTwist's 2013 Mock Draft 3.0 (Top 14 - Lottery Edition)

Pick Team Player Position Change in Position Reasoning
1st Seth Jones Defender None After winning the lottery, there's no easier pick in the draft than #1. Colorado takes the hometown defender with elite #1 potential to hopefully put an end to their rebuild.
2nd Nathan MacKinnon Center None Another easy pick, MacKinnon is far and away the BPA and conveniently fills a position of need. He'll provide the most dominant offensive force Orlando has seen since Bure and be a fixture on their first line with Huberdeau for many upcoming years.
3rd Jonathan Drouin Winger None Arguably the BPA, Tampa finds their heir to St. Louis. He'll be producing well before Martin retires however, and gives Tampa one of the deepest and scariest top 9s in the entire league.
4th Aleksandr Barkov Center None Another easy pick, Barkov fits the mold of a defensively solid forward that Nashville covets, but adds an offensive dimension they've lacked in their entirety outside of Radulov. The combination of offensive skill and defensive ability makes Barkov too good to pass up for the team craving a top notch forward.
5th Elias Lindholm Center Up 2 Carolina has a tough choice between Monahan and Lindholm, but the slick skill and talent of Lindholm ends up winning out. With the ability to play all three forwards positions, Lindholm gives them some versatility in their top 6 and cements a great group of young forwards.
6th Hunter Shinkaruk Winger Up 3 A team with no prospect depth anywhere, they take Shinkaruk to add a near elite offensive player to their pool. Drafting heavily out of the WHL, this pick may not be popular, but Feaster seems to target one guy every year, and Shinkaruk's the apple of his eye in 2013.
7th Curtis Lazar Center Up 8 They'll take some heat for passing over Monahan for Lazar, but Edmonton will stick with a guy they have loads of interest and confidence in over an unknown commodity. Regardless of how much of a reach it's considered, they're snagging a great player and will be happy with him as a #2/3 tweener to compete with Gagner.
8th Valeri Nichushkin Winger Down 3 Another team passing over Monahan? Yup. The Sabres pass on the 67s' center to take one of the most offensively talented players this year. A Grigorenko - Nichushkin pair for the future could be one of the most dominant duos in the league, and the thought of that is the driving force behind this pick.
9th Sean Monahan Center Down 3 Finally, his plummet stops, as the Devils salivate at the chance to add such a defensively sound center. He's pretty much a perfect fit for New Jersey, and will provide a great 1-2 punch with Zajac down the middle for the future.
10th Rasmus Ristolainen Defender Up 2 Only the second defender taken, the Stars capitalize on the run of forwards taken beforehand to get their choice of defenders, and they choose the big, near-NHL-ready Finn. The RHD cements a great future on the blue-line in Dallas, as their depth is borderline elite on the backend after this pick.
11th Darnell Nurse Defender Down 3 A near perfect scenario for Philly, they're able to snag the big, nasty defender without having to move up. He'll hopefully take over the void left by Pronger within the next 2-3 years, and adds to an already bright future in the City of Brotherly Love.
12th Alexander Wennberg Center Down 1 Another great fit, Wennberg hopefully takes over the #1 center spot, and provides a Ribeiro-esque player in the offensive zone, something Tippett covets, while bringing the defensive ability expected of Phoenix players. He and Hanzal will be a ridiculously strong 1-2 punch, frustrating other teams' top forwards night in and night out.
13th Bo Horvat Center Up 7 Probably the most well-rounded player in the draft, the Jets add to an already deep group of centers, hoping Horvat turns into an O'Reilly-esque player, a near-elite #2. He'll join Scheifele and Burmistrov to give the Jets a 3-deep group of top notch centers.
14th Anthony Mantha Winger Down 4 Going with the BPA, they add a player with top 10 talent, but a 7th round attitude. They'll take that risk, though, in hopes that he develops into a first line forward who can be a threat from anywhere on the ice. His size is just an added bonus for a team that seems to want to get bigger as well.

Mock Draft 2.0

Mock Draft 1.0

Any comments or constructive criticism would be gladly welcomed.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Well done! Lazar to me in the top 10 is a head scratcher to me as I don't see elite offensive upside, but I won't knock you for it, lots can change.

Remember when Couturier was a top 3 lock by everyone around here?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Well done! Lazar to me in the top 10 is a head scratcher to me as I don't see elite offensive upside, but I won't knock you for it, lots can change.

Remember when Couturier was a top 3 lock by everyone around here?
And no one saw Lindholm, Pouliot, or Koekkoek going top 10 last year either. Crazier stuff has happened than Shinkaruk and Lazar at 6 and 7.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
I think Calgary probably takes Monahan over Shinkaruk. Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Barkov to Nashville seems to be a lock, so I approve there.

Surprised Lazar goes before Monahan, and by Nich's fall, but hey, there are always a few surprises.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:32 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think Calgary probably takes Monahan over Shinkaruk. Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.
Normally I'd say so as well, but the difference between these two is pretty minimal IMO. Monahan is miles ahead defensively, but Shinkaruk is definitely more talented offensively. Calgary has also shown a preference for WHL players in the past 3-4 years (they've only taken 1 CHL player not out of the WHL), and it's just too good of a fit for me, especially since Shinkaruk is starting to transition to center.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:33 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Lazar to Edmonton is dumb. A failed opportunity. And completely likely.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
A team with no prospect depth anywhere,
Maybe you should actually know something about a team before commenting on them. The Flames would be nuts to take Shinkurak over over Monahan.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:40 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Maybe you should actually know something about a team before commenting on them. The Flames would be nuts to take Shinkurak over over Monahan.
Show me where their depth is. 2 centers and 2 wingers, pretty much nothing outside of that.

Guess you're gonna think Feaster's nuts too when he goes with Shinkaruk at 6?

Old
05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Show me where their depth is. 2 centers and 2 wingers, pretty much nothing outside of that.

Guess you're gonna think Feaster's nuts too when he goes with Shinkaruk at 6?
Well, too start with, Feaster doesn't handle the draft, assistant GM, John Weisbrod does.

The Jankowski pick? Weisbrod.

Feaster's only contribution was the asinine 'best player in ten years' comment.

Second, good to see you go from no prospect depth whatsoever to 'only' two centres and two wingers. It's progress at least.

But you ignore the Flames goaltending prospect pool, which just so happens to be their strongest area. Brossiot, Gillies, Ramo, Berra and Ortio. They're relatively stacked here.

Third, Weisbrod is already on record saying the Flames are quite high on Lindholm. Both Feaster and Weisbrod have repeatedly mentioned the Flames need to improve their depth and it's area in which they need to address.

But I guess all of that suggests they'll pick the winger over centre, right? Can I get a look at your crystal ball that guarantee's the Flames pick Shinkaruk over Monahan?

Old
05-01-2013, 07:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, too start with, Feaster doesn't handle the draft, assistant GM, John Weisbrod does.

Second, good to see you go from no prospect depth whatsoever to 'only' two centres and two wingers. It's progress at least.

But you ignore the Flames goaltending prospect pool, which just so happens to be their strongest area. Brossiot, Gillies, Ramo, Berra and Ortio. They're relatively stacked here.

Third, Weisbrod is already on record saying the Flames are quite high on Lindholm. Both Feaster and Weisbrod have repeatedly mentioned the Flames need to improve their depth and it's area in which they need to address.

But I guess all of that suggests they'll pick the winger over centre, right? Can I get a look at your crystal ball that guarantee's the Flames pick Shinkaruk over Monahan?
How the hell is 1 good prospect and 3 slightly above-average prospects any kind of depth...?

Goalies are a completely different story and really shouldn't be a part of this conversation. They're such a crap shoot anyways. I will admit that that is some decent goaltending depth, though.

And Lindholm is obviously gone at #6, unless you can't read. And if they're really looking to improve their depth, then they'll trade down and add more picks.

Where's yours that guarantees they won't?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
How the hell is 1 good prospect and 3 slightly above-average prospects any kind of depth...?

Goalies are a completely different story and really shouldn't be a part of this conversation. They're such a crap shoot anyways. I will admit that that is some decent goaltending depth, though.

And Lindholm is obviously gone at #6, unless you can't read. And if they're really looking to improve their depth, then they'll trade down and add more picks.

Where's yours that guarantees they won't?
I said they were interested in Lindholm which would allow any reasonable person to infer the Flames were very interested in acquiring a centremen. Someone like Monahan, which in your mock draft was still available at the number six spot if you can recall.

And while the Flames do need to improve their depth, they need to add quality far more than quantity. They don't need more middle end depth, they need high end, quality players more than anything. Trading down would be beyond asinine and is something Feaster has already acknowledged that they won't do.

Unlike you I never guaranteed anything. I simply said the Flames would be nuts to pick a winger if there's a high quality centremen still available.

Last edited by Calculon: 05-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Is it just me or does Nichushkin to Buffalo seem very probable

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:00 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Is it just me or does Nichushkin to Buffalo seem very probable
Just you

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Ashasx

The Alberta picks are simply terrible.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Just you
It's really not, seems like every or most mocks have him going #8 to Buffalo. I don't really care either way but I think he is quite easily a top 8 talent in this draft.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:46 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I agree. Orlando is about 3 hours north of Sunrise, where the Panthers play.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:45 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:

LOL who, who, meh, who, and who?

Homer much?

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I agree. Orlando is about 3 hours north of Sunrise, where the Panthers play.
Oops, my bad

Old
05-02-2013, 09:11 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I don't think Shinkaruk over Monahan is a bad pick at all. Both are elite talents, and Shinkaruk has a higher offensive ceiling

DKQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Cheerio

Shinkaruk is a LW where the Flames have their most depth but RW and C is a huge hole for the Flames. I'd argue that Shinkaruk is a similar prospect to Baertschi whom the Flames already have, and given that the Flames spent the last 15 years with their franchise player playing with 2nd/3rd liners I think they hop on the opportunity to draft the franchise centre in Monohan

EDIT: Also you can only look at their last 2 drafts for reference because prior to that Sutter was at the helm and he loved his big bodied Western Canadian kids.

Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Money Baer
COYS

I would be disappointed from a Flames stand point. Shinkaruk is a great talent, but doesn't address our problems of size/strength/skill down the middle.

Monahan would be the most likely pick. We have good prospects and NHL depth at LW too. (Baertschi, Gaudreau, GlenX, Cammy).

I think it's safe to say Calgary will draft one of Monahan or Lindholm come draft day...

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Lazar to Edmonton is dumb. A failed opportunity. And completely likely.
Quality analysis.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
I don't think Shinkaruk over Monahan is a bad pick at all. Both are elite talents, and Shinkaruk has a higher offensive ceiling
Maybe in a vacuum. But he would a redundant piece on the Flames, considering they already have guys like Baertschi and Gaudreau on the LW.

Does Shinkaruk have a higher ceiling than both of those guys? Again, it's arguable. But seeing as how LW isn't a need whatsoever for the Flames, it really doesn't make sense to take another one, especially since Monahan is widely considered to be the better pick. And as the Flames do have a real dearth of quality centre prospects, passing on a premier centre for yet another left winger, who's not even considered to be the BPA at that spot would be beyond asinine.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:35 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Thinking the Flames will pass on a number one center (something they have not had in years) and go for a smaller player is maddening. A small left winger should not be something the Flames need to look at when they still have no:
a) Number 1 Centers
b) Good right winger prospects
c) Good defense men prospects

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote