HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Andrej Sekera to maximize our assets

Old
05-01-2013, 08:38 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Keep Sekera and reevaluate situation next off season (but we're probably keeping him then as well). Our D is too inexperienced to lose him this year.

Also, rebuild to me does not me deliberately tank next year. I want us to rebuild but we should still be fighting make the playoffs.
Agreed, I want a winning attitude in this team, always fight for the best.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:55 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I have no issue with trading Sekera. I just doubt you get much for him in a trade.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Puff View Post
Players we keep threw the rebuild
Vanek (possibly)
leino if he proves he can play at a high level of play and stay healthy.
Ott.... do i gotta explain
kaleta
myers
ehrhoff
weber

That is a decent amount of veteran leaders that can help the kids.

also allowing hodgson foligno pysyk mcnabb and others to have a chance at changing the locker room and making it theirs and claiming the C
Ott should be kept, yes, but to assume, given his style of play, that he can be effective when the Sabres rebuild train exits the other end of he tunnel, is speculative. Same with Kaleta. Myers is still a kid. Moreover, I don't want Myers helping anyone else but himself, six days a week and twice on Sundays.

I absolutely want Sekera around for a deep playoff run after a (assumed 2-year) rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I have no issue with trading Sekera. I just doubt you get much for him in a trade.
Is there a more valuable contract on the Sabres Blueline? Rhetorical Q. - you don't need to answer that. I'd bet over 2 dozen NHL GMs would love to have Sekera for the last 2 years of his contract, given his actual salary, cap, abilities, and versatility in situations / minutes.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:15 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Ott should be kept, yes, but to assume, given his style of play, that he can be effective when the Sabres rebuild train exits the other end of he tunnel, is speculative. Same with Kaleta. Myers is still a kid. Moreover, I don't want Myers helping anyone else but himself, six days a week and twice on Sundays.

I absolutely want Sekera around for a deep playoff run after a (assumed 2-year) rebuild.

Is there a more valuable contract on the Sabres Blueline? Rhetorical Q. - you don't need to answer that. I'd bet over 2 dozen NHL GMs would love to have Sekera for the last 2 years of his contract, given his actual salary, cap, abilities, and versatility in situations / minutes.
For what? A second round pick and a b or c level prospect? No thanks.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Summer is traditionally not a time to maximize value on defensemen in trade. The trade deadline, sure, years of service remaining or not, is a whole other matter.

That said, they still do need to have some d-men on the team who have played a few games and he and Ehrhoff are really the only two I don't have questions about. Myers, can he get in shape, get his head on straight and round back into form? Weber, is this another limited stretch of good play that will completely unravel again like it has two or three times in the last few years? Pysyk... Ruhwedel... rookies will have growing pains. McNabb, bad knee injury could take away from his already limited mobility to the point he is not effective at the NHL level.

Gauthier-Leduc is a long, long way away if ever. McCabe is probably two more years off. The rest of the farmhands look like they've topped out as AHL-level competitors (if that). They're not in a position where dealing away cheap, good defensemen is of much benefit unless Sekera is a key piece in landing a young d-man/player with higher upside (classic HF).

05-01-2013, 09:35 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
For what? A second round pick and a b or c level prospect? No thanks.
Regher on the downside of his career garnered 2 seconds.

Leopold even further downhill on his career brough back a 2nd and either a 5th or 4th.

Sekera, given his age/asymptote, skills, and contract, is worth more, regardless of when value is maximized in the trade.

You wouldn't trade him because you think he's low-value and wouldn't bring much back in trade. I wouldn't trade him because he's the quality/versatility you want through a rebuild and when you're back in the playoffs again. Sekera's the steady vet d-man insurance policy for when the Sabres come out of the rebuild, in the event Ehrhoff's wheels have begun to fall off.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Regher on the downside of his career garnered 2 seconds.

Leopold even further downhill on his career brough back a 2nd and either a 5th or 4th.

Sekera, given his age/asymptote, skills, and contract, is worth more, regardless of when value is maximized in the trade.

You wouldn't trade him because you think he's low-value and wouldn't bring much back in trade. I wouldn't trade him because he's the quality/versatility you want through a rebuild and when you're back in the playoffs again. Sekera's the steady vet d-man insurance policy for when the Sabres come out of the rebuild, in the event Ehrhoff's wheels have begun to fall off.
On a good team, Sekera is a 4/5 defenseman. The fact that we have so many posters who talk about him like he's something special shows how atrocious our d-corps really have been. Let's not get carried away with his importance.

Last edited by joshjull: 05-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
On a good team, Sekera is a 4/5 defenseman. The fact that we have so many posters who talk about him like he's something special shows how atrocious our d-corps really have been. Let's not get carried away with his importance.
This is just wrong. Sekera's a no. 3 on plenty of teams in the league, including good ones. Coupling his play with his contract just increases his trade value.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't see a need to worry about Sekera. Any player is tradeable and it would be nice if prospects develop to the point that Sekera could be expendable, but I see no need to to look at trading him in two years. He's a solid, good skating d-man, but he doesn't intimidate anyone with punishing hits or QB a PP and collect a bunch of pts. These are the things that drive up a D-man's price at UFA time. Sekera will not command more than a 4 mil cap hit, so I see no issue with re-signing him. If some GM comes along and just hazzz to hazzz him, then go ahead and pull the trigger for a 1st or top prospect. Otherwise he's going to be in the top four when this team turn it around.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

He goes nowhere. He's underrated around the league relative to his value to this team. He's young and on a very affordable contract. I think you over-estimate how much $$ he's going to get on his next contract.

Guys who don't put up offensive numbers, who also don't get a lot of hype for being in Norris consideration or being on a team that made a run deep into the playoffs just don't command big salaries.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

ANSWER : Play him more

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Hey, remember when Sekera outscored Myers this year?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Vito_81

I think trading Sekera this offseason is too soon.

However, we may have a better version of Sekera in Pysyk. If Pysyk has himself a very good 2013-2014, This time next year moving Rej could be a good idea.

That being said. Why can't we have both?

Our D isn't really needing much in terms of a rebuild. We have the now pieces in Ehrhoff and Sekera. A Myers bounce back brings the D corps lightyears ahead, but even if he never lives up to the hype he's still a solid second paring guy. Weber is coming into his own. All we really need are guys like Pysyk, McNabb and McCabe to become NHL ready. A couple seasons from now, we may have one of the strongest backends around and that's without adding another piece.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Keep him so we have a hope of improving our defense.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

No thanks to trading him, keep him. Like Jame said, he should be playing more. I consider him a key cog to the future of this team.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hey, remember when Sekera outscored Myers this year?
faint praise

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
slip

Sekera is one of the few players I see sticking with the team through the rebuild until we come out stronger on the other side.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I know the folks over at TBN will disagree, but Sekera should be part of the new "core". No, he'll probably not be a Norris contender, but he will be a key part of any future Sabres playoff runs as the other kids grow up.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:43 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Yeah, having less players capable of succeeding against top competition is an excellent developmental environment for the rest of the team.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

You lost me with the title. Under no circumstances should we trade him. Unless we get some type of Godfather/"is he hammered and/or serious?" kind of offers.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
I like how pretty much everyone in the thread disagrees with you.

Sekera is a part of the solution, not the problem...
You ONLY trade him if some ridiculous opportunity comes along where you trade a package centered around him for a legit star/superstar.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:38 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I like how pretty much everyone in the thread disagrees with you.

Sekera is a part of the solution, not the problem...
You ONLY trade him if some ridiculous opportunity comes along where you trade a package centered around him for a legit star/superstar.
Corto, you know what's even better? This isn't the only thread that has happened

I agree about Sekera. He is someone you keep unless you get a chance to land a top line player who'll make a difference.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
ZeroPT
Nos sumus in futurum

vCash: 450
I think you keep him, and as mentioned above if you do trade him it's for ready guys not picks and prospects, he is the type of guy you want on a rebuilding team, solid all around on a good cap hit and good age.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Puff View Post
Considering we will not be contenders in the next 2 seasons what should we do with Andrej Sekera to maximize the value we receive for him.
Play him next to Myers. That's how you maximize Buffalo's assets. You keep Sekera and help get Myers back on track.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote