HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Around NHL Part IV : The Final Chapter

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Who cares about softies? Evaluate the entire performance after it is over. Quick will bail you out more than he will cost you the game. That series is a long way from being over.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
To be fair, Crawford wasn't coming off a Conne smythe, cup winning, Vezina caliber season when he let in that softie
quick is coming off a horrible season:18-13-4 with a .902 sv%...

Old
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Isn't Kesler injured too?
He didnt take the morning skate, so who knows. I'm guessing he's probably hurt. Ever since he went all-world against Nashville in 2011 2nd round he's been hurt the last 3 PO series. I think San Jose will win this series I've gone back and forth on it but Niemi's been great this year and I think if used effectively a guy like Brent Burns could have a "Buff" like impact in the series.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Who cares about softies? Evaluate the entire performance after it is over. Quick will bail you out more than he will cost you the game. That series is a long way from being over.
softies will cost you games and like last year, series. Goalies are not allowed to make mistakes. If they do, a goal will get scored against. If it is in OT, it will lose you the game.

Quicks job is to make that save, he gets millions to do that.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
madgoat33

it would be one thing if it was just a soft goal, but it was a terrible decision by him that led to it.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

but it won't happen again... better in this game than like Crawford in Game 4...

Old
05-01-2013, 02:49 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
but it won't happen again... better in this game than like Crawford in Game 4...
again, there's no guarantee quick plays like he did last year. Look what he did this season. Not saying he's a bum or anything, but is/did he ever get 100% after that back surgery?

Old
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
This could be a lost year for Quick. He's been playing a lot better lately though. We'll see. He ****ed up pretty bad, no denying that. It's worse when the goalie is playing the puck like that. He should have just put in the corner behind him and got back to his net when the pressure came.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

The guy singing the national anthem at the Bruins/Leafs game is definitely no Jim Cornelison

Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Well tonight's games are blowouts

4-1 Bruins over Leafs
4-0 Pens over Isles

Old
05-01-2013, 08:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Let's just hope that the Sharks/Nucks game is a bit more competitive..... or that Vancouver's blown out so massively that it's hilarious.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Let's just hope that the Sharks/Nucks game is a bit more competitive..... or that Vancouver's blown out so massively that it's hilarious.
That's exactly how I feel.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Leafs was just painful to watch. They were always going to have trouble with Boston...but that was at a completely different level. The D! The Turnovers! The terrible coaching

Old
05-01-2013, 09:53 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Anyone else secretly wanting Torres to blow up a Canuck, and then watch as all their fans, who defended him two years ago, lose their minds on the main boards?

Old
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Leafs was just painful to watch. They were always going to have trouble with Boston...but that was at a completely different level. The D! The Turnovers! The terrible coaching
I don't think the Leafs would have made the playoffs in an 82-game season, nor do I think the Islanders would have either. Those two teams were embarrassed tonight.

The Leafs routinely get out-shot and out-chanced, and if they don't get a couple quick goals early in one of the games, they'll get swept. They're simply not a very good hockey team.

Granted, they're better now than they were last year and finally giving Kadri a chance is a big step.. but they're playing AHLers Mark Fraser and Mike Kostka way too much, and they get out-played far too regularly.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:08 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Anyone else secretly wanting Torres to blow up a Canuck, and then watch as all their fans, who defended him two years ago, lose their minds on the main boards?
yes.

Quote:
I don't think the Leafs would have made the playoffs in an 82-game season, nor do I think the Islanders would have either. Those two teams were embarrassed tonight.

The Leafs routinely get out-shot and out-chanced, and if they don't get a couple quick goals early in one of the games, they'll get swept. They're simply not a very good hockey team.

Granted, they're better now than they were last year and finally giving Kadri a chance is a big step.. but they're playing AHLers Mark Fraser and Mike Kostka way too much, and they get out-played far too regularly.
I actually don't think the team itself is all that bad - they're not great by any stretch...but what bothers me most is the coaching. I think Carlyle is a horrible, horrible coach for the team, has brutal decision making skills, and is not going to be able to move them to the next level at all.

I don't know if they'd made it in a full season or not - with Carlyle as coach probably not. but on the basis of the pieces they have alone they're probably a bottom tier playoff team.

As far as the Islanders go, it's hard to fault any team for getting run over by the Pens. I'm sure this isn't the only blowout game they'll inflict before the playoffs are through.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

win draft lottery. Assuming Seth Jones will be the first Dman taken 1st overall in a very long time.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
2006 isn't that long ago.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
I actually don't think the team itself is all that bad - they're not great by any stretch...but what bothers me most is the coaching. I think Carlyle is a horrible, horrible coach for the team, has brutal decision making skills, and is not going to be able to move them to the next level at all.

I don't know if they'd made it in a full season or not - with Carlyle as coach probably not. but on the basis of the pieces they have alone they're probably a bottom tier playoff team.

As far as the Islanders go, it's hard to fault any team for getting run over by the Pens. I'm sure this isn't the only blowout game they'll inflict before the playoffs are through.
I actually like Carlyle as a coach, but the double-standard with Kadri/Gardiner is so polarizing in Toronto. Last year, Gardiner could do no wrong, was overall very good for a rookie and Kadri was toiling away in the minors. This year, it's been the complete opposite.

The whole Toronto situation over the past 5-6 years has bothered me, honestly. I'm not a fan of theirs, but I'm from and the area and I just don't understand why they tried to push for the playoffs, when it was clear they needed a complete rebuild.

They could have had a young core going forward of Seguin, Kadri, Hamilton, Gardiner, another top-3 pick in 2011 (Landeskog/Huberdeau), a top-5 pick in 2012 (Reilly) and another top-5 pick this year (Barkov/Drouin). Then, they could have gone out and started spending money to insulate those players, and suddenly they'd really be on the upswing. I don't think it's a guarantee, by any stretch, that this Leafs team is a playoff team going forward and it's really a damn shame, because Toronto loves hockey and the Leafs have fans all across Ontario.

Not all the trades Brian Burke made were bad, a lot of them were good.. but it wasn't what the team needed at the time and they really missed out on having a great, competitive team for the next 10-15 years, IMO.. because, again, it'll probably be a struggle for them to make the playoffs next year, and if they loose Kessel next summer, I don't know what they'll do.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
0-0 after one in Vancouver.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I actually like Carlyle as a coach, but the double-standard with Kadri/Gardiner is so polarizing in Toronto. Last year, Gardiner could do no wrong, was overall very good for a rookie and Kadri was toiling away in the minors. This year, it's been the complete opposite.

The whole Toronto situation over the past 5-6 years has bothered me, honestly. I'm not a fan of theirs, but I'm from and the area and I just don't understand why they tried to push for the playoffs, when it was clear they needed a complete rebuild.

They could have had a young core going forward of Seguin, Kadri, Hamilton, Gardiner, another top-3 pick in 2011 (Landeskog/Huberdeau), a top-5 pick in 2012 (Reilly) and another top-5 pick this year (Barkov/Drouin). Then, they could have gone out and started spending money to insulate those players, and suddenly they'd really be on the upswing. I don't think it's a guarantee, by any stretch, that this Leafs team is a playoff team going forward and it's really a damn shame, because Toronto loves hockey and the Leafs have fans all across Ontario.

Not all the trades Brian Burke made were bad, a lot of them were good.. but it wasn't what the team needed at the time and they really missed out on having a great, competitive team for the next 10-15 years, IMO.. because, again, it'll probably be a struggle for them to make the playoffs next year, and if they loose Kessel next summer, I don't know what they'll do.
Well, I think Burke underestimated just how bad the team was...people make it sound like he traded Kessel for Seguin, etc. or a #2 overall pick, etc...when really he was traded him for first round picks he (wrongfully) assumed would end up being later in the draft than they were. He didn't think that 2010 was going to be a cup contender (or even a playoff team)...but I'm sure he didn't think it would have the 2nd worst record in the NHL.

He also underestimated the fans' tolerance for a full out rebuild. The media's nasty and the fans take "bipolar" to levels that are extreme, even for a sports team - but the fans never ever desert the team...and even if they whined non-stop wouldn't have abandonned ship during a rebuild.

It's a bit like in Calgary where you've got a team who is currently too good to be truly awful (tonight, notwithstanding) and too bad to be overly competitive.

As far as the "young core" you're suggesting, who knows. It's the "butterfly effect" where one move can change the core of things - had he not traded for Kessel you can't say for sure how things would have turned out.

Re Carlyle - I think he's awful for the team...and I think his "system" is a joke.

I'm waiting to see whether Kessel bails on the team...at this point I don't know why he wouldn't. Then they're really ****ed.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Illinihockey

Niemi got run over by Raymond and Vancouver scores

Old
05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yeah I saw that. I wouldn't say he ran him over, but he pushed him off balance, and on his back. The ref was right there too.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:10 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I should add to my previous post...the type of coach the Leafs need is someone like Quenneville who will be able to work with the offensive skill they have (b/c they're actually fairly good offensively) and get them to be defensively responsible.

Sharks score on pp. tie game.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
I should add to my previous post...the type of coach the Leafs need is someone like Quenneville who will be able to work with the offensive skill they have (b/c they're actually fairly good offensively) and get them to be defensively responsible.

Sharks score on pp. tie game.
Yeah, I can see that.. but there aren't too many coaches out there that can balance offense and defense the way Q does, when he gets a team to play the right way. It is a mixed bag though, because you do need players that are willing and able to buy into both sides of the puck.

Q's had a lot of good two-way players at his disposal in Chicago. Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Ladd, Madden, Kruger, Frolik, Saad, etc..

In Toronto, I don't think their forwards would have the same commitment. I could see Lupul.. but I couldn't see Kadri, Kessel, MacArthur, JVR, etc. really buying in from what I've seen.

Closed Thread