HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do we choose at #2?

View Poll Results: Your choice at 2
MacKinnon 115 90.55%
Drouin 12 9.45%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-30-2013, 12:12 PM
gudzilla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i think its more likely he gets sent back to juniors. DT has hown he knows how to develop players and is patient, so going back down is more likely, but it may be like only a 60-40 on the odds. but im sure mackinnon wont start on the top line. i think hell be developed like anze kopitar was. give him plenty of time to earn it and play against teams lower lines.
huberdeau was supposed to be eased this year too, ended up he was the best player on the team and it didnt matter who he played against, pretty much

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
huberdeau was supposed to be eased this year too, ended up he was the best player on the team and it didnt matter who he played against, pretty much
hubby was given a year and a half in juniors and he wasnt the best player on the team. flash still holds that honor. and as good as hubby was, he still struggled and has a long way to go. also, the only reason he ever saw top line minutes was due to attrition and need. if we hadnt been so banged up then hubby wouldve stayed on the 2nd line the whole time.

if DT has the option not to play mackinnon on the top line then i dont think he will. i also doubt DT wants to have shore jugs and mckinnon as his centers when theyre all so green. im not saying it wont happen, but i think its slightly more likely he is sent down.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
hubby was given a year and a half in juniors and he wasnt the best player on the team. flash still holds that honor. and as good as hubby was, he still struggled and has a long way to go. also, the only reason he ever saw top line minutes was due to attrition and need. if we hadnt been so banged up then hubby wouldve stayed on the 2nd line the whole time.

if DT has the option not to play mackinnon on the top line then i dont think he will. i also doubt DT wants to have shore jugs and mckinnon as his centers when theyre all so green. im not saying it wont happen, but i think its slightly more likely he is sent down.
of course, but i honestly think that huberdeau was our best forward this year, along with kopecky and flash. with a healthy team it would be different, but i think the fact of how long huberdeaus season was, if he came in fresh and rested like most others, he would have been more effective during the later part of the season with more hustle

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:05 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
of course, but i honestly think that huberdeau was our best forward this year, along with kopecky and flash. with a healthy team it would be different, but i think the fact of how long huberdeaus season was, if he came in fresh and rested like most others, he would have been more effective during the later part of the season with more hustle
you could be right. it'll be interesting to see how he improves next year.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
While he was very good for a rookie and you can see his offensive talent and vision every time he had the puck, he was also very inconsistent and it was obvious he still needs to work on his strength. Too often he was just bumped off the puck by bigger/stronger players. Not unexpected give his age and size, but definitely something he needs to work on.

Flash was our best player, followed by Kopecky.

Chino Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
I think shore should be groomed to be a top center and matthias to the wing. Matthias has seen time on the wing and I think his game suits it better. He is great for the cycle and has tremendous untapped speed.
I remember that Matthias even said that he likes it more to play center..

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:35 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
meh, macks game will translate better to the NHL + he's a C

he's also one of the fastest skaters scouts have seen for a very long time

me likey
i don't get this - why does mackinnon's game automatically translate better than drouin's?

he plays an identical style of game that patrick kane does - and kane is doing just fine these days in the NHL

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:41 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
the thing is, like kovalev said in na interview earlier this year, the NHL isn't about skill anymore. you used to be able to be a superstar with just skill, now the name of the agme is speed. and having macK would give us one of the fastest centers in the league

also, of course DT is pissed, who isn't pissed losing 1OA to the lottery?
kovalev also said that because he's as slow as molasses now. drouin isn't slow, he's just not insanely fast like mackinnon is.

there's plenty, plenty of players in this league who are considered "superstars" without being fast. hell, there are several players who are very slow and cerebral. ryan getzlaf, henrik/daniel sedin, jason spezza, mike ribeiro, john tavares, are all mediocre/poor skaters who have had, obviously, plenty of success in this league.

jack skille is faster than all of them. what's that get him?

just because mackinnon is faster than drouin means nothing. obviously, mackinnon is a hell of alot more skilled than skille is and that wasn't the analogy i was trying to make.

my point is, while i think both will end up being very good players, i think drouin will end up being the better offensive player and that's all im interested in.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Vilam
#LetsChangeIt

Oh hell yeah! GREAT news!

I was buried in work and totally missed the draft order getting set. I was happy as soon as I saw we got #2 so that we couldn't screw up and take Jones. I immediately rushed to the Avalanche's website to see if they got #1... then I became ecstatic! It's all falling into perfect place... MacKinnon come on down please!!

Vilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i don't get this - why does mackinnon's game automatically translate better than drouin's?

he plays an identical style of game that patrick kane does - and kane is doing just fine these days in the NHL
We need a #1 Center more than a scoring wing. It's a huge gap in our lineup now and the future. We have other prospects that could compliment a Mac/Huby line. We won't have a true #1 center for Drouin/Huby in a couple years unless we overpay an FA or lose a promising prospect in a trade.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
AaronEkbald

If scouts thought Drouin could become a player like Kane or is a player like Kane then Drouin would've been ranked number one. MacKinnon had an injury and was still ranked higher than Drouin. No way can we select Drouin over MacKinnon. Drouin might have better hands but MacK has more tools in his toolbox.

AaronEkbald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:

Thats easy, MacKinnon actually plays defense and Drouin doesn't. Thats how it translates better to the NHL because forwards still need to play defense too. Drouin may be the better offensive player but MacKinnon will be the better overall player.

Unless the difference in scoring is like 20 pts, I cant see why/how Drouin will be more valuable than MacKinnon. If you compare Drouin to Kane, Kane's barely over a PPG in his best yr and often less than that. Lets just say offensively, MacKinnon compares to Toews (to make it easy for looking at the difference to Kane) and is just under a PPG himself so the difference in scoring in negilible. The difference between Kane & Toews is that Toews is also an elite level defensive forward too who can shut down opposing forwards.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Plus Drouin is a perimeter player, small, and while he is quick he is not particularly fast. Pat Kane is way faster. Drouin simply has more problem areas. MacKinnon already plays a pro style game.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:41 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Drouin, to me, seems very similar to Huberdeau. We don't need the same type of player, but more a player that completes Huberdeau. And MacKinnon to me is better than Drouin, safer pick and more suited for the pro-game. And I've seen post of people attending Mooseheads game saying that MacKinnon has outplayed Drouin the last two months, even if Drouin has put up more points. MacKinnon does so much more than just put up points (strong two-way, hits, create turnovers etc).

Drouin might also need to do more adjustments to the NHL, because many of the plays he does in junior, wont work in the NHL. Having the puck on his stick for 15 seconds and just going around other players. And his speed isnt that impressive too.

No doubt in my mind that MacKinnon is the right pick for us. Also value a center more than a winger.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
I honestly think that you guys lucked out by losing the lottery.

Seth Jones is a great player but I would take a talent like Mackinnon over Jones any day. If you had the #1 pick, it would make the decision tougher due to Seth Jones' marketability and being the face of the franchise etc.

Nathan MacKinnon reminds me of a better Tyler Seguin.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Vilam
#LetsChangeIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I honestly think that you guys lucked out by losing the lottery.
Absolutely. I couldn't be happier!

Vilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
If scouts thought Drouin could become a player like Kane or is a player like Kane then Drouin would've been ranked number one. MacKinnon had an injury and was still ranked higher than Drouin. No way can we select Drouin over MacKinnon. Drouin might have better hands but MacK has more tools in his toolbox.
out of the scouts Bob McKenzie talked to, more scouts rated #1 overall than they did MacKinnon.

our own scout Scott Luce compared him to Claude Giroux.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:15 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Thats easy, MacKinnon actually plays defense and Drouin doesn't. Thats how it translates better to the NHL because forwards still need to play defense too. Drouin may be the better offensive player but MacKinnon will be the better overall player.

Unless the difference in scoring is like 20 pts, I cant see why/how Drouin will be more valuable than MacKinnon. If you compare Drouin to Kane, Kane's barely over a PPG in his best yr and often less than that. Lets just say offensively, MacKinnon compares to Toews (to make it easy for looking at the difference to Kane) and is just under a PPG himself so the difference in scoring in negilible. The difference between Kane & Toews is that Toews is also an elite level defensive forward too who can shut down opposing forwards.
MacKinnon is not a comparable player to Toews so your analogy is pointless.

btw - you're right. Drouin didn't have 20 more points than MacKinnon in Jr's. He had 30 more.

I think both will be great players. I think Drouin will be a better scorer, though. that's what i want with this pick.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:07 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I think the pick will (and should) be MacKinnon, but Drouin reminds me a lot of Heuberdeau. Not because of the way they play or anything like that, but both players seem to be "instant chemistry" no matter who they play with. I've only seen Heuberdeau play maybe two or three times since he's been in the NHL, but I always thought that about him in juinor and tournament play.

I think it speaks to their intelligence and so-called "hockey IQ".

05-01-2013, 09:26 PM
harv3317

you know, i can't freaking understand why everyone is so freaking happy we pick second. that's the lowest we could pick!!! if you don't have faith that tallon would have made the best decision for the club with the number one pick, or somehow parlayed it into additional picks you must be clueless, or feel that tallon is a moron. do you not understand, we got the lowest pick possible under the circumstances!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:31 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
you know, i can't freaking understand why everyone is so freaking happy we pick second. that's the lowest we could pick!!! if you don't have faith that tallon would have made the best decision for the club with the number one pick, or somehow parlayed it into additional picks you must be clueless, or feel that tallon is a moron. do you not understand, we got the lowest pick possible under the circumstances!
Jones may be the consensus #1 but this team has lacked a #1 Center forever. Nathan Mackinnon is going #2 (amazing chance) and he is a center. That is why the consensus of this board is happy. No one thinks Tallon is a moron it is just we want the center and not the defenseman even if he may be better. No one is clueless it's just a lucky situation where I think either pick would make people happy, but Mackinnon is the situation where people are most happy.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
What is the "right" pick? Jones is a phenom for a 17-18 year old defenseman and most scouts have him #1. Most of us here want a forward. Jones may be better in the long run, who knows. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and according to Central Scouting the difference between MacKinnon and Jones is negligible.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:24 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
What is the "right" pick? Jones is a phenom for a 17-18 year old defenseman and most scouts have him #1. Most of us here want a forward. Jones may be better in the long run, who knows. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and according to Central Scouting the difference between MacKinnon and Jones is negligible.
there's just too many d-men who were considered "phenoms" in jr's/pre-draft to turn out to be good, but underwhelming nhl players

jack johnson, erik johnson, adam larsson, victor hedman, zach bogosian... just off the top of my head.

it seems like top rated forwards are less volatile than d-men. they generally fulfill their potential while d-men are more of a crap-shoot.

we already went that route with a few years ago, and i DONT want to turn this into a gudbranson thread, but we picked third overall and ended up with a guy with limited upside. it stings considering how bad we were that year and the guys the teams in front of us got (hall, seguin). we need to come out of this draft with an IMPACT player, and i think MacKinnon or Drouin is more of a guarantee to be that than Jones is, even if Jones is considered the #1 pick right now.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I wasn't happy when we lost the lottery. We are last in the league and I feel we should've picked 1st overall. But oh well.

And I wouldn't of had any problems with Tallon picking 1st. He wouldn't pick Jones 1st overall just because the media/scouts said so. It would be because that's what he thinks is best for the organization.

I honestly think he has his eye on Mac anyway. It's been reported that he's been to Halifax several times watching their playoff run and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he attended this weekend either.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
there's just too many d-men who were considered "phenoms" in jr's/pre-draft to turn out to be good, but underwhelming nhl players

jack johnson, erik johnson, adam larsson, victor hedman, zach bogosian... just off the top of my head.

it seems like top rated forwards are less volatile than d-men. they generally fulfill their potential while d-men are more of a crap-shoot.

we already went that route with a few years ago, and i DONT want to turn this into a gudbranson thread, but we picked third overall and ended up with a guy with limited upside. it stings considering how bad we were that year and the guys the teams in front of us got (hall, seguin). we need to come out of this draft with an IMPACT player, and i think MacKinnon or Drouin is more of a guarantee to be that than Jones is, even if Jones is considered the #1 pick right now.
I agree that defensemen are harder to project, but Jones is considered to be better at the same age than all the guys you listed and has a better resume at the same age than all of them. Plus Jones at 17 and Gudbranson at 17 arent even in the same universe. But Im done arguing this line of thinking. There's no skin left on this horse.