HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market

Old
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
pucky

vCash: 500
Isn't there a limit how much you'll spend on tickets? I guess it depends what disposable income one has?

What if it's $300? $500? $500+ Where does it stop?

Also, the Leafs were saying that everyone is doing it. Really? I suggest it's mostly the Canadian teams and even if it was everyone, eventually people might decide it is too expensive?

It's strange. After the lockout, fans were angry and the NHL organizations and Mr. Bettman were going to thank the fans.... Wow, what a great way to show thanks...by gouging those who actually pay to go to the games!

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:51 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
When those markets maintain 95% capacity despite an average ticket price of $250 then you should see fewer complaints about them. As it is, those markets might sell out in the first round of the playoffs or average respectible capacities during the regular season, but their average ticket prices are closer to $50. It's hardly comparable
Those markets also had total revenues around $50 million each, not including revenue sharing whereas Vancouver's total revenues exceed $130 million. Until those markets have both respectable attendance AND healthy revenues, they will continue to be met with criticism on the HOF business boards.

Baby steps I guess..
I'm sorry but if you're paying $250 for a ticket you are being gouged. I mean what if you had a family of 4 and wanted to take your kids and wife? You're at $1,000.00 just for tickets and you haven't even factored in food/beverages, parking and gas(if you drive). Also $50 might seem cheap to some but to others it isn't depending on their income level and whether they just go alone or with friends or a girlfriend/wife.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:29 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
owner screwed up the pricing. This is an example of how the NHL needs to get involved to prevent stuff like this from happening

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:53 PM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthander View Post
I feel like anyone who speaks of Vancouver in the same breath as Toronto or New York has never been to Vancouver and knows nothing of the city.

Compared to Toronto, New York and all of the American NHL markets, Vancouver is tiny. And the fact that they are only just now having slight trouble selling a few hundred extremely expensive playoff tickets in a lockout shortened year is just further indication of how great the market is and has been. The Canucks play in a relatively small market but their revenues are in the same ballpark as the massive markets like Toronto, New York, Chicago, etc.

I'm still surprised that the tickets weren't gobbled up immediately like they usually are but its nice to see that there is a limit and some push back from the fans after the lockout.
Yeah exactly how I feel.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
bbud

Gary Bettman thought using a lockout wouldnt hurt his bottom line huh fans have had enough of his ******** and the result is a very good team in a good market is paying for his complete lack of respect .

bbud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:56 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
I'm sorry but if you're paying $250 for a ticket you are being gouged. I mean what if you had a family of 4 and wanted to take your kids and wife? You're at $1,000.00 just for tickets and you haven't even factored in food/beverages, parking and gas(if you drive). Also $50 might seem cheap to some but to others it isn't depending on their income level and whether they just go alone or with friends or a girlfriend/wife.
I'm sorry, even if you have the family of four excuse, if the tickets in hockey towns are like $20, you will still have no chance of seeing a game live because thousands of people will try to watch the game too and it's not like you're the only family who want their whole family to get in. Often it's two people in the family and they take turns if they have season tickets, but never a bunch of people at once, unless you're a player's family that they could hook you up.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:44 PM
DyerMaker66

Yeah: You wouldn't be able to watch the game anyway so the owners might as well gouge everyone.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:02 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
I'm sorry, even if you have the family of four excuse, if the tickets in hockey towns are like $20, you will still have no chance of seeing a game live because thousands of people will try to watch the game too and it's not like you're the only family who want their whole family to get in. Often it's two people in the family and they take turns if they have season tickets, but never a bunch of people at once, unless you're a player's family that they could hook you up.
I'm not talking about season ticket holders. I am talking about the average person who buys individual game tickets because they can only make a few games a year.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:15 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Tonight's attendance (game 1): 18,910

... looking up capacity....

Per notes: 18,630

So, they had another sell out.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:01 AM
Ringmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Toronto and NY are more expensive then Vancouver as well.
house prices aren't

http://www.livingin-canada.com/house-prices-canada.html

Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Ringmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Tonight's attendance (game 1): 18,910

... looking up capacity....

Per notes: 18,630

So, they had another sell out.
really?

TSN said it wasn't a sell out

Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:17 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
really?

TSN said it wasn't a sell out
You misheard. They said there was worry it wouldn't sell out but that it was jam packed.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:36 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
You can be a "rich" city and still not be a big league market in a given sport. It all depends how much the fans are willing to spend on the product.

My point is, because of this, fans of the Canucks shouldnt complain when the team takes measures to behave more like a mid sized market.
And how precisely are they behaving like a mid-sized market? Their cheapest seats were more expensive than Toronto's. Their average ticket price is pretty well in line with Montreal, Toronto and New York - hardly mid-sized at that.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:52 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
I agree with you. I think they are being gouged as well, especially when you consider it is the first round of the playoffs. I was simply responding to Mayor Bee's ridiculous assertions of a double standard. The reality is Vancouver has some of the highest ticket prices in the league and even if a few hundred seats remain unsold at gametime the Canucks would still have a higher gate than all but 2, maybe 3 teams.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:11 AM

This is a non story.

When the league releases honest, truthful, legitimate, non-doctored, accurate, no BS, detailed, actual revenue from every game, playoff and non playoff and then releases what teams pay into and what teams receive revenue sharing....then it'll be a story. Until then, the only thing Vancouver sucks at, is playoff hockey

Of course and this is my opinion only, the league will only release such figures when Toronto and or Montreal and or Vancouver and or Ottawa and or Calgary and or Edmonton and or Winnipeg have problems.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:05 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...602/story.html

Overnight article on lagging sales.
Quote:
He said that was still enough to keep the teamís home-game sellout streak going, as per the North American industry standard for a sellout, which is any game with about one per cent of its seats left unsold.
The North American standard of a sellout is falling short of selling out?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:54 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
I'm not talking about season ticket holders. I am talking about the average person who buys individual game tickets because they can only make a few games a year.
Duh. It's the same thing or even harder for non STHs.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Expensive tickets. I don't blame fans for not taking the bait.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
And how precisely are they behaving like a mid-sized market? Their cheapest seats were more expensive than Toronto's. Their average ticket price is pretty well in line with Montreal, Toronto and New York - hardly mid-sized at that.
MOD

the point of the thread is that vancouver fans clearly were balking at top tier price levels. my point was, IF the fans won't accept those prices, then the result WILL BE less money spent on the team and the team will start to behave more like a mid market team. if fans are cool with that, they shouldn't pay the high prices and accept their place.

Last edited by Fugu: 05-02-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: ...
The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Not even surprised. Vancouver and San Francisco, the most expensive post cities anywhere. Too much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
This is a non story.

When the league releases honest, truthful, legitimate, non-doctored, accurate, no BS, detailed, actual revenue from every game, playoff and non playoff and then releases what teams pay into and what teams receive revenue sharing....then it'll be a story. Until then, the only thing Vancouver sucks at, is playoff hockey

Of course and this is my opinion only, the league will only release such figures when Toronto and or Montreal and or Vancouver and or Ottawa and or Calgary and or Edmonton and or Winnipeg have problems.
The league won't hurt Toronto or Montreal, they are in a separate class from the other canadian teams. Plus this looks bad.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Yeah: You wouldn't be able to watch the game anyway so the owners might as well gouge everyone.
I agree, JFH come on no one is paying for that unless its for the NFL.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
saskganesh

Quote:

the point of the thread is that vancouver fans clearly were balking at top tier price levels. my point was, IF the fans won't accept those prices, then the result WILL BE less money spent on the team and the team will start to behave more like a mid market team. if fans are cool with that, they shouldn't pay the high prices and accept their place.
Cap is going down anyway due to the CBA. Regardless, the Canucks will continue to make a profit.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Their normal pricing may be sustainable, but this thread is about playoff tickets going unsold, and most importantly that playoff tickets were raised [apparently] past the point of equilibrium. A few hundred unsold isn't a threat to their business or price model, but it is a bellwether that they're exceeding what their market will bear for playoff gate pricing.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I agree, JFH come on no one is paying for that unless its for the NFL.
NHL is NFL in Canada though.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Burke the Legend

BTW there were still tickets available in Montreal yesterday for game 1 tonight. My cousin walked up to Bell Centre ticket window and bought a row of 4 up in nosebleeds.

80$ each for crap seats

I think even though Montreal & Vancouver are large cities with a lot of hockey fans there's still a limit on the demand for JACKED up prices on mostly lousy seats. Even upper middle class types who can generally afford them start to balk at this kind of sticker shock and consider other entertainment propositions with better value for money (like how about a weekend at Tremblant / Whistler instead??).

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote