HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Purpose "Next Head Coach" Thread l ALL Head Coach Discussion Here!

View Poll Results: Who coaches the Avs next season?
Patrick Roy 68 37.36%
Lindy Ruff 12 6.59%
Army 3 1.65%
Quinn 19 10.44%
Other 27 14.84%
Sacco (God help us all) 29 15.93%
Pepsi Center Janitor who always watches games with big dreams 24 13.19%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Great to hear that Avs would've probably moved up for Jones.
Which is why I think this happened...

No pressure on getting a trade done now

Old
05-01-2013, 04:30 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonos View Post
Did I miss that Sherman got fired or is he giving up his GM duties? Where is all this GM talk coming from? Wish list or is there actual news that Avs are looking for a new GM as well?
There's been talk for a couple weeks now about Sherman's contract actually being up after this year.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Friedman actually touches on a lot of Colorado issues in his new article. He does mention how Chenowyth played a role in helping Barrie this year.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
There's been talk for a couple weeks now about Sherman's contract actually being up after this year.
Is everyone going off of Garrioch's report or did someone else confirm this as well?

Old
05-01-2013, 04:40 PM
ikonos

Thanks for the clarification and I just read the Friedman link. Lot of thoughts on Avs.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:54 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
I was just thinking (no jokes please) and I wonder if PL would even consider Patty Roy about the job.

PL has a reputation (right or wrong) of allowing business to become personal. He absolutely made trades to get rid of players that hurt him by holding out. When Roy turned him down or asked for too much it probably hurt PL personally. We all now it was a media nightmare because it became a national story that he was offering a GM/HC position to a former player and he still hadn't even you know...got around to firing his current HC yet...

Is that something PL could get over? Would he actually still want Roy after being publicly spurned by him?

Old
05-01-2013, 05:02 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I was just thinking (no jokes please) and I wonder if PL would even consider Patty Roy about the job.

PL has a reputation (right or wrong) of allowing business to become personal. He absolutely made trades to get rid of players that hurt him by holding out. When Roy turned him down or asked for too much it probably hurt PL personally. We all now it was a media nightmare because it became a national story that he was offering a GM/HC position to a former player and he still hadn't even you know...got around to firing his current HC yet...

Is that something PL could get over? Would he actually still want Roy after being publicly spurned by him?
At the same time, he goes hard after the guys he wants. Look at Gratton and to a little bit of a lesser extent, Lecavalier.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
At the same time, he goes hard after the guys he wants. Look at Gratton and to a little bit of a lesser extent, Lecavalier.
Yeah, but honestly...PL only got Gratton so he could waive him and buy him out to humiliate him.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

PL used to be Roy's agent and then they were together for another 8 years with the Avs. I don't think PL could hate him even if he wanted to.

Old
05-01-2013, 05:42 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Guys...if you all keep disagreeing with me, Dater will never write an article about it.

Was really hoping to see him or Chambers run with that plot tomorrow.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Elliott Friedman touches on the subject in his 30 thoughts

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
i'm so glad we would have done what it took to get Jones.
this reminds me of when the Bulls got #1 and had to choose between Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley. everyone said it was foolish for the Bulls not to take the big because the impact of a highly talented big was more than a PG.
that thinking is similar to a forward having a big impact and taking less time to develop than a D man.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Sherlock007
Avs & Bolts Fan

Would you guys think management would choose a coach after the Playoffs if some coaches get fired

Last edited by Sherlock007: 05-01-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear007 View Post
Would you guys think management would choose a coach after the Playoffs if some coaches get fired
it depends on where the focus of the search is going.
if we actually go outside the organization then i could definitely see this happening.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Which is why I think this happened...

No pressure on getting a trade done now

Little bit OT, but does anyone know why Pracey was our representative instead of Dirty Sherm?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear007 View Post
I'd say just before the draft.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Jack View Post
Little bit OT, but does anyone know why Pracey was our representative instead of Dirty Sherm?
Avs said Sherman is focused on the head coach search.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
They said it was because of Sherman working on coaching.

It's not a big deal. Yzerman wasn't there this year either and in 2009 Avs sent Billington. It's not like it's an important event. It's a 30 minute tv thing where the representative says they haven't decided who they will pick if they get the first overall pick.

That said I do think it's possible that Sherman will step down (but stay within the front office) and Avs get another GM. That new GM will obviously have some say in who the next coach will be so I'm not surprised Avs haven't contacted Roy. I wouldn't be surprised if Avs haven't contacted any coach at this stage.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:26 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
the Avs story is that he was focusing on the coaching search.
the fans theory is that he's on his last leg as GM.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Puck Poise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Avs said Sherman is focused on the head coach search.
Sounds like a pretty shady excuse. Couldn't go on a half-hour show on national TV? He would barely have to talk....

Old
05-02-2013, 07:23 AM
JeffFingerDiscount

vCash: 171
If the Sharks get bounced out of the playoffs this year, I want us to pursue Todd McLellan. There was talk that he was going to get fired last year if the Sharks didn't go far in the playoffs. This year could be his last chance.

I don't think we could've attracted him four years ago with the team we had, but with all the new talent on the team, we could probably make the case to him to join up with us.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:26 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreopancake View Post
Sounds like a pretty shady excuse. Couldn't go on a half-hour show on national TV? He would barely have to talk....
I don't think he needs excuses for not sitting there, smiling and saying how great all those prospects are. It's just a circus.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFingerDiscount View Post
If the Sharks get bounced out of the playoffs this year, I want us to pursue Todd McLellan. There was talk that he was going to get fired last year if the Sharks didn't go far in the playoffs. This year could be his last chance.

I don't think we could've attracted him four years ago with the team we had, but with all the new talent on the team, we could probably make the case to him to join up with us.
I'm not 100% sure and a lot of time has passed but I think I read that McLellan had hoped to become the new Avs coach but PL never spoke to him.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Lefty9420

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
I'm not 100% sure and a lot of time has passed but I think I read that McLellan had hoped to become the new Avs coach but PL never spoke to him.
Of course he didn't. McLellan isn't family. He never had a shot.

And for those that are reading into Sherman not being at the draft thing....don't. He has absolutely no say in the coach. Pierre and Pierre alone decides that. Sherman just takes the fall when it goes horribly wrong. Sherman is a CPA, with no hockey background. He will have NO involvement, or should I say NO REAL involvement in selecting the new coach.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
It was just a general, sure I'd be interested type of response to being an NHL head coach. Not necessarily hoping it was the Avs.

Quote:
I asked McLellan, in his third season with Detroit, if he would be interested in the Colorado coaching job, vacant since the Avalanche and Joel Quenneville parted ways Friday.

"I would be very interested," McLellan, 40, said several hours before the Wings beat the Dallas Stars in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals. "I think right now there are a number of young coaches who have come up from the American League and have done a good job, and I consider myself one of those."
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_9238407

Old
05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
cgf

Please not McLellan. Me and a sharks fan friend had a really good commiseration this year about our terrible coaches and McLellan apparently does a lot of sacco things, like breaking lines up when they get hot to "spread the skill around", playing terrible players way too many minutes, and being generally clueless. So no thank you.

Closed Thread