HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do we choose at #2?

View Poll Results: Your choice at 2
MacKinnon 115 90.55%
Drouin 12 9.45%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
What's the difference in Weiss and MacKinnon? Especially when Weiss was drafted, cause they're similar in size and both apparently play a two-way game.

05-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Pantherfan12

Can we all admit that no matter what we think will happen, Dale Tallon is the one who has to make all the decisions. I am sure Tallon knows these players better than we do and he knows what they are capable of and come draft day, he'll be making the choices.
While I enjoy reading all the comments about the up and coming draft choices and what it might mean for the Panthers, I think we're going back and forth about stuff that hasn't happened yet. We all know that no matter how well a player may be in juniors or any other league prior the NHL/AHL, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be just as productive in the NHL. Look at our draft history and you'll see choices that didn't pan out so well.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Ain't this a message board, where we discuss stuff?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Can we all admit that no matter what we think will happen, Dale Tallon is the one who has to make all the decisions. I am sure Tallon knows these players better than we do and he knows what they are capable of and come draft day, he'll be making the choices.
While I enjoy reading all the comments about the up and coming draft choices and what it might mean for the Panthers, I think we're going back and forth about stuff that hasn't happened yet. We all know that no matter how well a player may be in juniors or any other league prior the NHL/AHL, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be just as productive in the NHL. Look at our draft history and you'll see choices that didn't pan out so well.
If you dont like the topic of this thread, why are you here posting in it? And like Laus said, isnt this a message board, where people post stuff?

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What's the difference in Weiss and MacKinnon? Especially when Weiss was drafted, cause they're similar in size and both apparently play a two-way game.
MacKinnon is a couple inches taller(there's no way Weiss is 5'11" as he's listed), a lot grittier, stronger on the boards, faster, and is a better shooter. Weiss is probably a better playmaker than MacKinnon will turn out to be.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:37 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Weiss was not the greatest skater when he was drafted, while Mackinnon can step in and be one of the best skaters in the NHL ala Howden. Weiss is also more of a perimeter playmaker, while Mackinnon is more like a David Backes drive the net and crash it. They both had elite vision coming out of juniors it took Weiss a little longer to develop his game as he wasn't NHL ready while Mac is probably a lot closer to a finished product.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Nice, thanks guys, really appreciate it. MacKinnon, PLEASE!! Lol

Old
05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Weiss was not the greatest skater when he was drafted, while Mackinnon can step in and be one of the best skaters in the NHL ala Howden. Weiss is also more of a perimeter playmaker, while Mackinnon is more like a David Backes drive the net and crash it. They both had elite vision coming out of juniors it took Weiss a little longer to develop his game as he wasn't NHL ready while Mac is probably a lot closer to a finished product.
I don't think MacKinnon is anything like Backes. Backes is a lot more physical and not in the same league skating wise. Backes is also much bigger. MacKinnon has game breaking ability, that extra skating gear, that is so rare. Backes is a good skater for his size but nothing noteworthy. MacKinnon will be in the conversation about who is the best skater/fastest skater in the NHL. The offensive upside for Mac is also higher. The adept NHL comparison, IMO, is a slightly better version of Tyler Seguin.

If Nick Bjugstad or even Drew Shore started to play a much more physical game they'd be more similar to Backes, IMO. In fact, I'd love for Shore to start driving through people on hits like Backes. He's got the size and defensive game to model his after Backes. Hopefully the goals will come.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Took his drive to the net, not overall game, as being like Backes.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:52 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Took his drive to the net, not overall game, as being like Backes.
Still not really true. Backes is so much slower. Mac has explosive, very rare, speed. the comparison is off, imo.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I agree that defensemen are harder to project, but Jones is considered to be better at the same age than all the guys you listed and has a better resume at the same age than all of them. Plus Jones at 17 and Gudbranson at 17 arent even in the same universe. But Im done arguing this line of thinking. There's no skin left on this horse.
I wasn't comparing Gudbranson to Jones - I know Jones is thought to be a much better player with a much higher ceiling than Gudbranson ever was thought to have.

I was just saying we can't be stuck with another "meh" top-3 draft pick if Jones fails to fulfill his potential, as d-men often seem to do.

Erik Johnson was the clear-cut #1 pick of his draft ( a draft that included Toews and Backstrom) - and he's a good, but underwhelming player.

D-men are far more hit-or-miss than forwards are this early in drafts.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:33 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
LOL @ comparing MacKinnon to Backes in any form.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:27 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
LOL @ comparing MacKinnon to Backes in any form.
lol @ reading comprehension

Old
05-02-2013, 10:50 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Still not really true. Backes is so much slower. Mac has explosive, very rare, speed. the comparison is off, imo.

Agree with the difference in tool set, and yeah Backes is more physical, while Mackinnon being is the more skilled. But if you take a look at where these guys get their goals and how they go in you will see a lot of similarities.

AND NOW THIS..

Old
05-02-2013, 11:06 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
MacKinnon is a much better prospect. At age 17, his toolbox is awesome. He's got great stick-handling, skating and scoring ability that Weiss never had at that age.

There's not a whole lot of difference between 5'11 and 6'0, but if you look at John Tavares.. He's listed at 6'0 and he's phenomenal on the offensive side of the puck.

Weiss just doesn't possess some things that I'd like my number-one center to have: explosive skating, above-average handles, above-average vision, ability to score at least 25-30 goals etc. He's got to possess a combination of three or all four. MacKinnon could be that guy.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:05 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Agree with the difference in tool set, and yeah Backes is more physical, while Mackinnon being is the more skilled. But if you take a look at where these guys get their goals and how they go in you will see a lot of similarities.

AND NOW THIS..

what an absolutely terrible comparison...because of "where they score" and "how they go in".....

Old
05-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Ain't this a message board, where we discuss stuff?
You're absolutely right! I have learned a tremendous amount of information from you guys on these boards and I'm happy to have a place to go where like-minded people come to chat. I just feel like people are going back and forth about who's better than whom and who we should draft yet none of these players have actually played one NHL game yet. We can agree that junior stats dont always equal NHL stats. Any player could be a bust or they could become superstars. I don't think anyone would complain if we ended up with Drouin,Mac, or Jones because we're getting a franchise player. Yes we need a elite top line center, but we also need an elite Dman, so I don't think there's a bad pick to choose from.

I'm sorry, I just lost my grandmother and I'm probably not making any sense. I don't mean to ramble on, I'm just excited to see what Tallon has up his sleeve this draft/offseason and what our team looks like come opening night.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:10 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:

what an absolutely terrible comparison...because of "where they score" and "how they go in".....

Anybody can see for themselves along with exactly what I said. If you want to ignore it that is your prerogative. Mackinnon is a POWERFORWARD point blank. The fact that he has the skill of a goal scorer is added bonus.

Last edited by IceManCat: 05-03-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: looking at your previous post history it doesn't surprise me that you came out with this gem. :laugh:
Old
05-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Looking forward to checking out MacK tonight, assuming I can find a stream...

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
You're absolutely right! I have learned a tremendous amount of information from you guys on these boards and I'm happy to have a place to go where like-minded people come to chat. I just feel like people are going back and forth about who's better than whom and who we should draft yet none of these players have actually played one NHL game yet. We can agree that junior stats dont always equal NHL stats. Any player could be a bust or they could become superstars. I don't think anyone would complain if we ended up with Drouin,Mac, or Jones because we're getting a franchise player. Yes we need a elite top line center, but we also need an elite Dman, so I don't think there's a bad pick to choose from.

I'm sorry, I just lost my grandmother and I'm probably not making any sense. I don't mean to ramble on, I'm just excited to see what Tallon has up his sleeve this draft/offseason and what our team looks like come opening night.
Sorry about your grandmother man. Always sucks.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Anybody can see for themselves along with exactly what I said. If you want to ignore it that is your prerogative. Mackinnon is a POWERFORWARD point blank. The fact that he has the skill of a goal scorer is added bonus.
he's 6'0 179 lbs. he plays nothing like a powerforward, instead uses his speed to be effective.

but yes, you're right. he's a powerforward, comparable to 6'3 225 lb David Backes in the fullest.

Laughable.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
he's 6'0 179 lbs. he plays nothing like a powerforward, instead uses his speed to be effective.

but yes, you're right. he's a powerforward, comparable to 6'3 225 lb David Backes in the fullest.

Laughable.
Instead of listening to me, check out these legitimate sources calling Nate Mackinnon a powerforward.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644177
- A Direct quote

"During his first year of body contact, he always had that strong center of gravity and was so strong on his skates," Greenwood said. "People tried to run him, but he'd be ready for it. He'd go out of his way to finish checks and had no problem being the first forward in there, plowing someone over.Imagine that? Nathan MacKinnon, power forward"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...eads-magazine/

I will save you some reading on the second link.
Another Direct quote -

"Style-wise, MacKinnon isn’t Crosby redux. At almost six feet and 180 lb., and growing fast, MacKinnon will be the bigger and more physical player by the time he hits his draft year in 2013. “MacKinnon will be a classic power forward,” says Florida Panthers scout Paul Gallagher, who coached Crosby in bantam. “He delivers big hits to make plays. He has an explosive first three steps, as good as anybody you’ll see out there.”

Silly me I found another one, here ya go

http://www.topnhlprospects.com/natha...e-next-crosby/
Direct Quote

"On the ice, the similarities are less apparent. MacKinnon does not possess the same vision as Crosby and is projected to be more of a power forward in the mould of Jeremy Roenick."

How do you feel now?I'm cracking up here usually when people debate on these forums its a my word vs your word debate. I don't ever remember anyone getting crushed like this before you should try and delete your old posts before people notice them

Old
05-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Sorry about your grandmother man. Always sucks.
Thank you buddy. It does suck but have tons of family and friends around.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Thank you buddy. It does suck but have tons of family and friends around.
Lean on em, and don't hesitate. I've lost my dad and only have one grandpa left. It can mess with your head, but I'm glad you've got a good support network.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:22 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Instead of listening to me, check out these legitimate sources calling Nate Mackinnon a powerforward.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644177
- A Direct quote

"During his first year of body contact, he always had that strong center of gravity and was so strong on his skates," Greenwood said. "People tried to run him, but he'd be ready for it. He'd go out of his way to finish checks and had no problem being the first forward in there, plowing someone over.Imagine that? Nathan MacKinnon, power forward"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...eads-magazine/

I will save you some reading on the second link.
Another Direct quote -

"Style-wise, MacKinnon isn’t Crosby redux. At almost six feet and 180 lb., and growing fast, MacKinnon will be the bigger and more physical player by the time he hits his draft year in 2013. “MacKinnon will be a classic power forward,” says Florida Panthers scout Paul Gallagher, who coached Crosby in bantam. “He delivers big hits to make plays. He has an explosive first three steps, as good as anybody you’ll see out there.”

Silly me I found another one, here ya go

http://www.topnhlprospects.com/natha...e-next-crosby/
Direct Quote

"On the ice, the similarities are less apparent. MacKinnon does not possess the same vision as Crosby and is projected to be more of a power forward in the mould of Jeremy Roenick."

How do you feel now?I'm cracking up here usually when people debate on these forums its a my word vs your word debate. I don't ever remember anyone getting crushed like this before you should try and delete your old posts before people notice them
awesome, well done.