HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who still has faith?

Old
05-02-2013, 06:07 AM
saffronleaf

vCash: 500
Who still has faith?

I am not at all prepared to give up on the Leafs. I concede the Leafs ended the regular season on an inconsistent note. But one of the great positives to take from that has been this team's resiliency. It has been rare for this team to have repeated poor performances.

The odds are against us, but if we can snatch one away in the Gardens, we've got the advantage at that point. Even if we don't get one in Boston, we still have a strong chance.

Lets not forget that many series have been won by teams that lost the first or even first couple of games. And lets not forget that the Bruins, who had some of the same pieces then, gave up a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers. Finally, lets not forget that the season series aren't necessarily indicative of much -- I remember losing to the Sens so badly in regular season play and being afraid of facing them in the playoffs... but we know how that turned out!

Come on, ladies and gents. I see a lot of worried and sad faces in Leafs Nation. Lets rally behind our boys and show them our support. Lets instill confidence in them. God damn, if JVR had potted that shorthanded goal near the end of the 1st... we may be looking at a different result.

Worst possibility: we lose to a very strong cup contender and we takeaway a lot of things that we can use to improve ourselves next year.

Yea, we got dominated. But we can bounce back. That's the real test of a good team. How we deal with adversity.

Regardless of the results, we better give our boys the best reception when they come home for Games 3 and 4

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Just by making this thread your doubting them. This fanbase.. THE SKY IS FALLING after 1 game.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Not worried at all.

this was the match up I wanted, and all the stuff we're seeing is exactly why. It's "easy" to say oh well, if you don't know how to ramp it up in the playoffs, then blah blah blah. Please. You totally SAW why the Playoffs are a different animal. Boston did not play like Boston in the last few weeks of the regular season.

We. did.

However. we're capable of playing so much more, and I think being smacked around like that, will help. Now. if (and for me,it's a small if) we lose the series, there will be some (necessary changes, Nonis, thanks) that will have to be made - but that's also a good thing. (regardless if we win - lol some of those changes are going to be made).

Everyone is saying "Oh if we're down two games, we'll be swept."
Um. sure, okay? Because teams haven't come back from winning two games before.

People don't think we have the personnel to come back from a 3-0 hole? Well, I do. (and we're not even THERE yet).

I think we (I am using royal we: the Leafs, the Fans) neeed to start taking this period by period, not game by game, and just build from there. this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. I beleaf.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:14 AM
noBSleafsFAN

It's been one game so they've got at least 3 left. If they stop the turnovers and get more shots they will be fine.

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Nope. Leafs are done in 4. They've been awful against Boston for a long time and I don't see that changing.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:16 AM
SwissLeaf

vCash: 968
It's 1 game...

I still believe in this team. Nothing's lost!

We will win this series in 6.

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:22 AM
saffronleaf

Awesome. Great to see some optimism.

I admit, I am usually the worst kind of Leafs fan that everyone rails against: when we play well, plan the parade! When we play poorly, OMG destroy and rebuild!

But man, since Sundin left the Leafs, this is the first iteration of the Leafs hockey club that I feel comfortable placing my faith in.

We've assembled a good team here. I don't even care how deep we go this year. All I hope is that we put up a great fight.

JVR looks like he's going to continue his excellence in the playoffs. He's a force to be reckoned with.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Aplayaz2000

i know it's one game
but it's a game where the Leafs didnt have a chance...
with the exception if JVR didnt hit the post

Leafs got rocked by Habs... and Tampa
but came back with a Kadri hat trick
and a shutout...

is this really a bounce back game?
if there is one thing about hockey
teams can bounce back and flip heads

if that's one positive thing i can share in the light from my experience

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:33 AM
Aplayaz2000

also hockey has no aggravate like what happened to Barcelona

the advantage goes to teams that bounce back

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:36 AM
EDDIE20*

The series isn't over after the first game. This is a very young team getting their first taste of playoff action. Let's see how they fare Saturday before burning the bridge.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:45 AM
tml145

of all 16 teams in the playoffs the Leafs have

1)the most players with less than 100 nhl games played

2)the least amount of collective playoff experience

3)2nd youngest team after Ottawa

i expected this team to be picking in the top 10 this year

i consider this season a success

guys like Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles and probably a few others wont be

with this team nest year

i am happy the team is going to try and rebuild the right way for the first time ever

all i remember from the last decade is trading draft picks and prospect

we can't even be patient with our own prospects (see Steen and Tlusty)

hopefully next year, guys like Blacker, Holzer, Gardiner, Colbourne, Ashton, Di'magio are

given a legitimate chance to develop in the NHL

i feel that is better than keeping Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles

they have no future with the team

i hate the media, but I understood why they were negative for the past decade

but this year all i hear is

when the Leafs win- "they didn't deserve to win" or "they won despite being outplayed"

and when the Leafs Lose "The sky is falling"

as if this team was expected to win the Stanley Cup

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
guys like Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles and probably a few others wont be

with this team nest year

hopefully next year, guys like Blacker, Holzer, Gardiner, Colbourne, Ashton, Di'magio are given a legitimate chance to develop in the NHL i feel that is better than keeping Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles,they have no future with the team
So you want to let go of all the experienced players we have to make way for younger players? You need as much experience as possible for any sort of playoff run . Bringing in more kids wont help out. We made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years and you're willing to blow our chances next year on maybe's?

KuleminFan41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Deuce Awesome

Im happy that we made the playoffs to begin with and played some competitive hockey this season.

After our Rotten Ronnie experiment, just getting to where we are now is an amazing success.

Our chance to do well in the playoffs was by playing Montreal. Every team has that one team that just has their number.

That team to us is Boston.

I am happy with the Leafs as long as they play a competitive series against Boston. Im not expecting a series win and wasn't from the start.

However, it is a seven game series and this team has shown an uncanny ability to bounce back.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:57 AM
SprDaVE

Plenty of hope and faith. Frustrating game but by tomorrow and Saturday, there will be plenty of optimism.

As fans, that's the only thing we can do really.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:09 AM
korndog81

We got this boys, gotta win the next one to take away home ice advantage.

korndog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:13 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

I still have as much faith as I ever had in this team. I'm not worried about them after this game...what better way to drill into the heads of our players what playoff hockey is all about. Now that they've seen what it's about, a few days off to recollect and I think we'll see a much different leaf team. I still have faith.

But lettuce be cereal for a minute; 90% of the posters on the Leafs board went on about how we didn't stand a chance against Boston and they were just happy to be in the playoffs, even if we got hosed. Well; we played a stinker....where are those people now? Are they the ones that are crying? Likely.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
So you want to let go of all the experienced players we have to make way for younger players? You need as much experience as possible for any sort of playoff run . Bringing in more kids wont help out. We made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years and you're willing to blow our chances next year on maybe's?
all the players I listed are fringe/complimentary players

we don't need 27 and 28 year old career AHLers

Kadri, Kulemin, Kamarov, Reimer, Scrivens, Gunnerson, and Frattin are the only players

originally drafted by the team, currently on the roster

this needs to change

the team will never have identity if the core of the team are pieces from other teams

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:16 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
We beat Carolina 4-1 in game 1 in 2009 and dropped the next three. These things change game to game....never get too up, or too down...also, never reason to panic until you play an elimination game....Leafs are a good team...well coached...they had some butterflies, and will be far better the rest of the way....Good luck.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

I wonder how many of these optimists have actually seen a playoff series?

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Geeze folks it's only game 1, let's embrace this because it's been 9 years. We have been too good and have shown good bouceback ability this year to pack it in. Come on folks. This is playoff hockey, lots of ups and downs for those that remember the playoffs.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:20 AM
HFX902

Why even start this thread.. If someone looses faith after game 1, they are clearly not a fan.

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:24 AM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Geeze folks it's only game 1, let's embrace this because it's been 9 years. We have been too good and have shown good bouceback ability this year to pack it in. Come on folks. This is playoff hockey, lots of ups and downs for those that remember the playoffs.
Well said.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Loosie

Heres what I posted in the series thread on the main board:

Quote:
Since when did the Stanley Cup playoffs become single-elimination? So many Boston fans already looking to the Penguins and they haven't finished the series they are currently playing. (Yes I know it is not all fans, and thank you to level-headed Bruins fans that have pointed out the need to finish the current series first)

That game swung on one play. The JVR SH post. That goal goes in it 2-1 Leafs after one and they have momentum in the game. Instead it hits the post and the Bruins come right back and score to make it 2-1 Bruins and Leafs shut down.

If the Leafs want to get back in this series they cannot shut down after bad plays like that. Some lineup changes need to happen, while the 4th line for the Leafs was effective, I'm not sure we need both Orr and McLaren out there. Bring in Frattin, bring in O'Byrne for Kostka, if Franson is injured leave Kostka out and bring in Gardiner as well.

The Leafs can fix what went wrong in Game 1 (let down of play after a bad bounce, horrible giveaways in all zones, better shot blocking) and get back in this series.
I will always have faith in this team. I bleed Blue and White.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Well, my expectations were set at a sweep in the first round, with all four games being shutouts.

So theyve already exceeded my expectations..

In all seriousness, its one game.

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:33 AM
JackJ

Take a page out of the Leafs history book, the 92/93 Leafs round #1:

April 19 - Toronto 3 Detroit 6
April 21 - Toronto 2 Detroit 6

April 23 - Detroit 2 Toronto 4
April 25 - Detroit 2 Toronto 3
April 27 - Toronto 5 Detroit 4 (OT)
April 29 - Detroit 7 Toronto 3
May 1 - Toronto 4 Detroit 3 (OT)
Toronto wins best-of-seven series 43

If we're down 3 games then we're out of it.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote