HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 06:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I wanted us to win the #1 pick, then trade it to florida (they could always use a defenseman right?) and take Drouin in the second spot. But now I've been falling for all the Barkov hype and I'm worried he might be taken in the top 3.
Florida seemed to be pretty adamant about taking Mackinnon, regardless of where they landed.

I think Barkov will be there at 4.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Nichushkin has far more offensive potential than Monahan(whose offensive potential has been questioned)

It's like comparing Ovechkin to Shawn Horcoff.
I don't agree at all. Nichushkin is a one-trick-pony and I think he will be closer to a Paajarvi than an Ovechkin. He is simply not a very dynamic player in the offensive zone. His shot is good but not great, his playmaking ability is not close to Monahan's.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Nothing Is New

Here's a good statistical correlation on Barkov (hope it hasn't already been pasted). Unless one of the big three slide, he's the man IMO.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...eter-forsberg/

Old
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
I don't agree at all. Nichushkin is a one-trick-pony and I think he will be closer to a Paajarvi than an Ovechkin. He is simply not a very dynamic player in the offensive zone. His shot is good but not great, his playmaking ability is not close to Monahan's.
I know there are questions regarding his IQ that have been brought up by some scouts. Monahan is better now as a more dynamic offensive player. Nichushkin has that upside though tht if he puts things together, he's like a Russian Rick Nash, whocj would be a huge pick.

But that's the issue with him. Does he reach that potential or does he falter and never develop his game? Of nichuskin was just a big, fast Russian skater, who didn't have any possibility of growing, he wouldn't be going listed this high.

Nichushkin is a risk pick but the upside is huge. It's debatable if its better than barkov's (might be a little better, or around the same level) so you need to judge if it makes sense to make the safer barkov pick (who might not even have a lower upside) or if you go with the big oak pick in the hopes you hit a major home run.

It all depends on what nichushkin's upside is relative to barkov's and whether it not you decide o make the risk with him.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I know there are questions regarding his IQ that have been brought up by some scouts. Monahan is better now as a more dynamic offensive player. Nichushkin has that upside though tht if he puts things together, he's like a Russian Rick Nash, whocj would be a huge pick.

But that's the issue with him. Does he reach that potential or does he falter and never develop his game? Of nichuskin was just a big, fast Russian skater, who didn't have any possibility of growing, he wouldn't be going listed this high.

Nichushkin is a risk pick but the upside is huge. It's debatable if its better than barkov's (might be a little better, or around the same level) so you need to judge if it makes sense to make the safer barkov pick (who might not even have a lower upside) or if you go with the big oak pick in the hopes you hit a major home run.

It all depends on what nichushkin's upside is relative to barkov's and whether it not you decide o make the risk with him.
Nichoushkin is a gamble right now that we really don't need.

Barkov seems like the more logical pick.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:37 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

There's been some good #4's over the last few years (Ladd, Backstrom, Pietrangelo, E. Kane). Let's hope we get one that joins that group.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
There's been some good #4's over the last few years (Ladd, Backstrom, Pietrangelo, E. Kane). Let's hope we get one that joins that group.
this is considered the deepest draft since 03, so theoretically we should be getting a player at least that good, if not better.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
maplepred

I personally think nichushkin, barkov, drouin and mackinnon all have the same potential ceiling, NHL superstars.

Will all four achieve it?! Who knows, it's impossible to truly know, otherwise teams would never miss on draft picks.
That being said, these guys could ALL be a number one pick in another draft, so essentially at #4 we are getting a #1.

I think picking fourth is the best possible spot we could have asked for. We will get one of the big forwards, plus we do not have the be number five taking a risk on nichushkin and his khl contract, and it's a no brainer pick for poile, whoever slides out of Mack, barkov and drouin, you select him! Done!

I am so excited for this draft!!

Old
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I personally think nichushkin, barkov, drouin and mackinnon all have the same potential ceiling, NHL superstars.

Will all four achieve it?! Who knows, it's impossible to truly know, otherwise teams would never miss on draft picks.
That being said, these guys could ALL be a number one pick in another draft, so essentially at #4 we are getting a #1.

I think picking fourth is the best possible spot we could have asked for. We will get one of the big forwards, plus we do not have the be number five taking a risk on nichushkin and his khl contract, and it's a no brainer pick for poile, whoever slides out of Mack, barkov and drouin, you select him! Done!

I am so excited for this draft!!
This pretty much says it all and why i was praying more so to stay at 4th even over landing the 1st pick.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Mercalius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_PAwg7Ayls

Craig Button interview from several months back. He's really, really high on Barkov.

Says skating/shot are 4/5 but everything else is 5/5.

Goes into detail about him being the best player on the ice with NHL talent during the lockout and outplaying Mikko Koivu.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He thinks Barkov goes at 3 in that video.

If Barkov does go 3, do you draft Drouin or do you trade out and draft Lindholm?

I really think we need a center with that pick.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

If Barkov does go 3, do you draft Drouin or do you trade out and draft Lindholm?

Interesting - Button here is saying Barkov at 4.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427

Old
05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Interesting - Button here is saying Barkov at 4.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427
Yeah that video is a bit older I think.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
this is considered the deepest draft since 03, so theoretically we should be getting a player at least that good, if not better.
Seems like every draft is the deepest draft since 2003.

There are busts in every draft, as well, including players with a lot of hype surrounding them. The fourth overall pick in 2003 was Nikolai Zherdev.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

There are busts in every draft, as well, including players with a lot of hype surrounding them. The fourth overall pick in 2003 was Nikolai Zherdev.
The question is has Zherdev dropped because he is not doing well or are others players simply rising and passing him making the draft even deeper. I tend to think it will be a really deep draft from what I have seen. There are players going between 10-20 that look really good.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:41 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
The question is has Zherdev dropped because he is not doing well or are others players simply rising and passing him making the draft even deeper. I tend to think it will be a really deep draft from what I have seen. There are players going between 10-20 that look really good.
I don't think it is as deep as it is high end.
After top ten it really drops off. Still talented prospects but the top 5 is massive, then 5-10 is awesome, and then it's a regular class.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Persona5

Quote:
After top ten it really drops off. Still talented prospects but the top 5 is massive, then 5-10 is awesome, and then it's a regular class.
I agree that the top 5 are very strong but I also have watched a lot of the player that are listed from 11-30 on the mock drafts right now. Players like Zadorov, Domi, Pulock, Mantha, Lazar, Erne, Horvat, Fucale, Hartman, and Petan all look like very strong players. I can see the majority of these guys being NHL players for a long time. Obviously they won't all pan out but right now it really looks like a deep draft.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I'm sure you guys will see it when you venture back to the Barkov thread on the prospects forum, but I thought I'd leave it here just in case.

The shift beginning at :43 is just Barkov n a nutshell. Gets the puck in the defensive zone, fights off the opponent's forwards, rushes it up the ice, protects the puck from about 3 defenders, and makes a gorgeous pass to a teammates who puts it in the open net.

I really hope you guys draft Barkov, I've been following him all year and I think he's going to be a superstar and I have no problem rooting for you guys.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm sure you guys will see it when you venture back to the Barkov thread on the prospects forum, but I thought I'd leave it here just in case.

The shift beginning at :43 is just Barkov n a nutshell. Gets the puck in the defensive zone, fights off the opponent's forwards, rushes it up the ice, protects the puck from about 3 defenders, and makes a gorgeous pass to a teammates who puts it in the open net.

I really hope you guys draft Barkov, I've been following him all year and I think he's going to be a superstar and I have no problem rooting for you guys.
Totally sick - especially the shift you pointed out. I don't see how he's not the pick at this point, unless something crazy happens ahead of us with Mac/Drouin.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

That play reminded me of Forsberg.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Nothing Is New

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

It would not surprise me much if Drouin were taken and Jones is available. He's still a raw D-man (though a great prospect), years away. What to do then?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:18 PM
maplepred

Hockey news ranking,

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. Mackinnon
4. Lindholm
5. Nichushkin
6. Barkov

What's with that?!?! Hockey news is only ones I've seen rank barkov out of top five. Who does their list?!?!

Old
05-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Hockey news ranking,

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. Mackinnon
4. Lindholm
5. Nichushkin
6. Barkov

What's with that?!?! Hockey news is only ones I've seen rank barkov out of top five. Who does their list?!?!
THN is awful.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

that's not true at all, and as someone who really gets into the draft every year(all year,) it's kind of insulting.

There are great drafts where the high end is crazy (2008 was one) but not very deep...there's drafts like this one where there's not a true marquee Tavares\Crosby type...but there's a deep pool of the next tier down--that's what this draft is.

2009, conversely, was a very shallow draft.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:49 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
that's not true at all, and as someone who really gets into the draft every year(all year,) it's kind of insulting.

There are great drafts where the high end is crazy (2008 was one) but not very deep...there's drafts like this one where there's not a true marquee Tavares\Crosby type...but there's a deep pool of the next tier down--that's what this draft is.

2009, conversely, was a very shallow draft.
personally I hope everyone picked in round 1 below four ends up being a bust... unless of course we trade down...

Closed Thread