HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who still has faith?

Old
05-02-2013, 08:35 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
If we get down 2-0 I will start to worry.

Im just angry about the way it went last night more then anything.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Take a page out of the Leafs history book, the 92/93 Leafs round #1:

April 19 - Toronto 3 Detroit 6
April 21 - Toronto 2 Detroit 6

April 23 - Detroit 2 Toronto 4
April 25 - Detroit 2 Toronto 3
April 27 - Toronto 5 Detroit 4 (OT)
April 29 - Detroit 7 Toronto 3
May 1 - Toronto 4 Detroit 3 (OT)
Toronto wins best-of-seven series 4–3

If we're down 3 games then we're out of it.
Funny I thought it took 4 losses to be 'out of it'

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

9 years without playoffs and we stuck with this team. 1 terrible loss isn't going to change that. I'm glad these young guys finally get to experience playoff hockey. Sure they knew how intense/physical it would be after watching from the sidelines for so long, but now they really know....especially Grabo, lol.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:38 AM
IBeL13f

I have faith until we're eliminated. There's no reason calling the series after 1 game, 2 games, or even 3 games. As long as there are boys in Blue and White on the ice (and I don't see Tampa anywhere), you've gotta hold faith that they'll find a way.

Having said all of that, my main concern with this year's Playoffs was to get the best possible experience for our young team so that we know what it takes in the post-season. The best way to do that is against the best of the best, and we're up against a Boston team that really hasn't changed much since their Cup run. They replaced Recchi with Jagr (good swap, if you ask me), and Thomas with Rask, and basically then just kept on chugging.

Win or lose, I'm damn proud of this team for doing what so few people thought they were capable of doing, just making it to the show. I'd like to see a tighter effort the rest of the series, and try to get back to the kind of hockey that got us here, but this is a great learning experience for a group of guys that sorely need it, regardless of the outcome.

Hell, we've yet to see us playing in our own barn in this series, and who knows what kind of electricity and momentum home ice could swing in our favour. The series is far from over after last night, and these guys are more than capable of both a strong bounce-back game, and victory over the Bruins. Let's get tough, defensive, and use our speed to capitalize, and then let the games play out how they play out.

There's no turning back now, boys. No sense in giving up, even when all seems lost, this is do-or-die.

Burn the Boats! GO LEAFS GO!

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
dubplatepressure

I'll be a leaf fan for the rest of my life but that doesn't mean I think we'll win this series. This year is about the experience, not the outcome. A 2nd round would be a huge bonus, but isn't necessary when we're talking the next 5 years.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
9 years without playoffs and we stuck with this team. 1 terrible loss isn't going to change that. I'm glad these young guys finally get to experience playoff hockey. Sure they knew how intense/physical it would be after watching from the sidelines for so long, but now they really know....especially Grabo, lol.
Grabo tried hard last night, he showed courage, he is a Mike Brown without the size, but there is no way he should be centering any of our top 2 lines.

He should be on the 3rd or 4th line, when he is back there, we have a chance to pull out a game.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Clark4Ever

I have faith that we can make a series of it if Carlyle makes the necessary changes to the lineup and maximizes our strengths; speed, offensive skill, and special teams.

VanRiemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-O'Byrne

Reimer

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:44 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

I didn't have faith in the Leafs before this series started (I predicted Boston would win it in 5 games) and last night's performance certainly hasn't done anything to sway my opinion on that. Having said that, this year isn't about a deep playoff run. This year is about just making the playoffs, getting our feet wet, gaining some much needed playoff experience and monitoring our performance. It'll make us a much better team next year and will also show Nonis what issues need to be addressed in the offseason.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
all the players I listed are fringe/complimentary players

we don't need 27 and 28 year old career AHLers

Kadri, Kulemin, Kamarov, Reimer, Scrivens, Gunnerson, and Frattin are the only players

originally drafted by the team, currently on the roster

this needs to change

the team will never have identity if the core of the team are pieces from other teams
Thats BS - Kessel, Dion, Grabo, Gardiner, Orr, McLaren and many others are Leafs through and through. Where you are drafted has nothing to do with identity. Is it nice to draft home grown stars? Of course. Is it needed, no, all that matters is you have them.

Do you know how many Bruins were drafted by them? 5.. That's right 5. So don't give me the garbage that to be good your players have to be drafted by your team. It is a nice story, but that's it.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:45 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I have faith that we can make a series of it if Carlyle makes the necessary changes to the lineup and maximizes our strengths; speed, offensive skill, and special teams.

VanRiemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-O'Byrne

Reimer
Get out of my head! I was literally just posting that line-up

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

The goal should be to try to steal one on the road, and hold serve at home. One can still be stolen on the road. No panic here. No panic from anyone who's actually seen this team in the playoffs before.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Take a page out of the Leafs history book, the 92/93 Leafs round #1:

Toronto wins best-of-seven series 4–3

If we're down 3 games then we're out of it.
We also got destroyed 5-0 at home in the opening game of one of the playoff series against Ottawa if I recall correctly.

The true test will be measured by the response of our coaching staff and our players.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:55 AM
leburn98

It was 1993. The Leafs were appearing in the playoffs for the first time since failing to clinch a berth for 3 consecutive seasons. The Leafs first round opponent was the Detroit Red Wings, a team many expected to make a good run at the Cup that year. The lowly Leafs were not expected to put up much of a fight and many predicted a 4 games sweep.

...and it was that way after two games where the Wings out scored the Leafs by a total of 12-5.

By this time, optimism was at an all time low, the predictions being true for the first two games. The Leafs were being dominated by a contending Wings team.

...but like the old saying goes - It's not over til it's over.

Leafs arrived back home and despite all odds, took games 3 and 4 to tie the series at 2 games a piece.

Back in Detroit, there was a sense of new optimism in the air. We can do this, and do it we did in a thrilling 5-4 OT victory. We were going home to win this series in 6.

Emotions of Leafs nation were at an all-time high. We could feel it, a victory nobody expected us to do. Unfortunately they were right, Detroit came to play and thumped the Leafs 7-3, in what was an absolute embarrassment. Many, my father and I included felt we had our chance and blew it.

Heading into the 7th game after our beating in game 6, the feeling wasn't great. Alas, this is why it's a 7 game series and it takes 4 games to win. Going into overtime our nerves were shot, tension was incredible. It was an unknown rookie who could not even speak English who would score one of the most memorable goals in Leafs history (at least for those of us who grew up loving the Leafs in the 90s). This man was Nikolai Borschevsky. He helped us complete what many of the so called "experts" said was impossible, defeat the Wings in 7.

In the end, do I think the Leafs will beat Boston to pull off what the '93 Leafs did? I don't know, but having witness that I have been taught to never underestimate what seems like the impossible. Hopefully our current Leafs will give the new generation of Leaf fans a memory they can be proud of.

Last edited by leburn98: 05-02-2013 at 09:04 AM.
leburn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Ari91

I have faith that the Leafs can play better than they did last night. That was their worst game against Boston all season.

Do I have faith that they can win this series? I went into this with temperated expectations. I predicted a Bruins series win based with inexperience and general struggles against the Bruins being the biggest factors in my prediction. Can the Leafs win the series? Sure, they have the talent to break through the Bruins defense...hell, they did it once last night. In order for them to have any chance in this series, they have to want the puck more and they have Bruins are a strong defensive team. You need to use speed to gain an advantage in their own zone and you aren't going to utilize your speed if you're trying to make long passes from your own end to the offensive blue line, it's going to get intercepted. The Bruins are a defensive minded team and have the experience to know that when the opposition has the puck, defense doesn't start in your defensive zone, it starts in the neutral zone. If the Leafs keep trying for those stretch passes, they're going to get intercepted all day, everyday.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:17 AM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

Why should we be worried about the Leafs after just one game? there is a lot of series left for them to do better. Maybe inexperience did play a role and these young guy just had some rookie playoff jitters. I am hopeful those are gone now and they can get back to playing their game.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I am not at all prepared to give up on the Leafs. I concede the Leafs ended the regular season on an inconsistent note. But one of the great positives to take from that has been this team's resiliency. It has been rare for this team to have repeated poor performances.

The odds are against us, but if we can snatch one away in the Gardens, we've got the advantage at that point. Even if we don't get one in Boston, we still have a strong chance.

Lets not forget that many series have been won by teams that lost the first or even first couple of games. And lets not forget that the Bruins, who had some of the same pieces then, gave up a 3-0 series lead against the Flyers. Finally, lets not forget that the season series aren't necessarily indicative of much -- I remember losing to the Sens so badly in regular season play and being afraid of facing them in the playoffs... but we know how that turned out!
The Leafs have lost 11 of the past 12 games they have played against Boston including yesterday.

If the Leafs do not split in Boston, it will mean Leafs will need to win 4 of the next 5 games in the series in order to advance.

Based on past performance the odds will not be great, against a battle ready, playoff tested and the reigning eastern conference Cup champions.

Its never over until its over, however a young inexperienced team, will need a lot of things going their way in order for this series to have a happy ending. IMO

05-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Earth Rocker

I have faith that this team will improve with the experience gained in these playoffs, we can still win the series but it's not expected.

If they can push the Bruins to the limit and play a physical game, then the season was a success as we made the playoffs and gained very valuable experience for our core going forward. It will also show us who can elevate their game under pressure and who just disappears.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
N4Z3M LUPUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Just by making this thread your doubting them. This fanbase.. THE SKY IS FALLING after 1 game.
/thread.

N4Z3M LUPUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
We also got destroyed 5-0 at home in the opening game of one of the playoff series against Ottawa if I recall correctly.

The true test will be measured by the response of our coaching staff and our players.
That was with a bunch of playoff vets, several of which were future HOFers, not borderline AHL plugs and sophomores. Completely different team makeup, completely different era of the club's history.

Quote:
Why should we be worried about the Leafs after just one game?
Not one game. Ten+ games. Look at the Leafs' recent record against the Bruins.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabsOWNTheLeafs View Post
Thats BS - Kessel, Dion, Grabo, Gardiner, Orr, McLaren and many others are Leafs through and through. Where you are drafted has nothing to do with identity. Is it nice to draft home grown stars? Of course. Is it needed, no, all that matters is you have them.

Do you know how many Bruins were drafted by them? 5.. That's right 5. So don't give me the garbage that to be good your players have to be drafted by your team. It is a nice story, but that's it.
i am not advocating to trade any of them

but i want the leafs to have at least 60% of the team to be either drafted or developed by the Leafs

i don't even care if they become stars

i just want the team to be solid player

Mcarthur is no better than Frattin

Kostka is no better than Holzer

Liles is no better than Gardner

i would rather have our drafted/developed player play

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
rustysvetz

I keep saying this.. but hopefully it was the wake up call the team needed. I am not worried because I've seen the level of play this team is capable of and outside of last nights game, all the games vs. Boston have been closer on the scoreboard this season.

Perhaps if the Leafs can start skating with a purpose in the defensive zone to support each other to get the puck out instead of wheeling it back 5x during the same sequence we will have more success.

Seems to be a lot of Leaf players in the defensive zone have been taking a 'you deal with it' attitude during the teams latest run and that needs to change if they will be successful!
Go Leafs!

Last edited by rustysvetz: 05-02-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Hope is eternal
rustysvetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Grabo tried hard last night, he showed courage, he is a Mike Brown without the size, but there is no way he should be centering any of our top 2 lines.

He should be on the 3rd or 4th line, when he is back there, we have a chance to pull out a game.
The entire team watched him get rocked all night, only to get up and still scrap for the puck in the corners. The guy isn't afraid. I love that. Hopefully the rest of them bring the same spunk game2. I'd agree that kadri/lupul/kulemin need to reunite on the 2nd line. This wasn't the time to experiment with grabo..carlyle had all season for that.

Last edited by Lilou: 05-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysvetz View Post
I keep saying this.. but hopefully it was the wake up call the team needed. I am not worried because I've seen the level of play this team is capable of and outside of last nights game, all the games vs. Boston have been closer on the scoreboard this season.

Perhaps if the Leafs can start skating with a purpose in the defensive zone to support each other to get the puck out instead of wheeling it back 5x during the same sequence we will have more success.

Seems to be a lot of Leaf players in the defensive zone have been taking a 'you deal with it' attitude during the teams latest run and that needs to change if they will be successful!
Go Leafs!
I'd like to think this was the wake-up call the team needed. But they've had a lot of those the past couple weeks. The 5-2 to Tampa, the 4-1 loss to Montreal, etc. They've been playing like this for weeks and I'm not sure what they need in order to figure out that they can't win by letting the opposition dictate the game for 90% of it.

Anyways, I'm not giving up on the team. After years of failure this is hardly the time to throw in the towel. But there was nothing to be happy about in that first game and the Leafs will need to play unbelievably better to make this a legitimate series.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Prototype

playoffs hockey - just takes one good bounce and you're back in it

lots of time left

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
i am not advocating to trade any of them

but i want the leafs to have at least 60% of the team to be either drafted or developed by the Leafs

i don't even care if they become stars

i just want the team to be solid player

Mcarthur is no better than Frattin

Kostka is no better than Holzer

Liles is no better than Gardner

i would rather have our drafted/developed player play

Again, why do they need to be drafted by the Leafs? How does that make them better? How does it make us a better team? You want the best players you can get, irregardless of who drafted them. Where did your arbitrary number of 60% come from? You was 14 of our players to be leaf drafts?

Home grown players =/= winning and winning = identity. I would rather not a single Leaf pick on the team, as long as we won.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote