HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Encompassing Call-ups Thread (4/29: Thomas, 9 others recalled to NYR)

Old
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
E-Train

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
So even if the team thinks he can be a difference maker on defense sometime next season, they're going to leave him in Hartford for the whole year, and then ANOTHER season as well? Because that makes sense...

Jorts being Jorts.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

AHL scoring doesn't mean much to me. Newbury is like, a god in the AHL. As long as McL can play good, punishing defense, I won't care very much about his point production.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
That rule didn't seem to apply to Kreider

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let's be honest, the Rangers need a player like McI. when he's ready, he will be playing.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
NYRKindms

Question: I have read that the taxi squad doesn't practice with the big club. Is this a NHL rule or ?

Also if not, is it not common to have the "JV team"assume the role of opponent ? In many team sports I have played coaches will generally have the squad play / lineup / run plays common to the other team etc. is this something that isn't traditionally done in hockey ?

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Question: I have read that the taxi squad doesn't practice with the big club. Is this a NHL rule or ?

Also if not, is it not common to have the "JV team"assume the role of opponent ? In many team sports I have played coaches will generally have the squad play / lineup / run plays common to the other team etc. is this something that isn't traditionally done in hockey ?
No rule as far as I know. The Black Aces (as they have been called within the organization for quite a while) are up to get a feel for the atmosphere surrounding a team during the playoffs, nothing more, nothing less. And, at least as far as the Rangers go, I can never remember the Black Aces practicing with the team--they are minor leaguers, not fair game for NHLers. The practices that the team has had have been about special teams and various strategies, not having Thomas pretend to be Ovechkin.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
No rule as far as I know. The Black Aces (as they have been called within the organization for quite a while) are up to get a feel for the atmosphere surrounding a team during the playoffs, nothing more, nothing less. And, at least as far as the Rangers go, I can never remember the Black Aces practicing with the team--they are minor leaguers, not fair game for NHLers. The practices that the team has had have been about special teams and various strategies, not having Thomas pretend to be Ovechkin.
Doug Lidtser & Eddie Olczyk were Black Aces.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Black Aces aren't the same thing as the playoff taxi squad. Generally, I remember them as being the guys who were the 13th, 14th forwards and 7th, 8th defensemen. For example, the 93-94 guys were Olczyk, Hartman, Hudson, Lidster and Andersson (until he got traded). None of them spent any time in the minors.

By that standard, this year's Aces would be Gilroy, Eminger, Hamrlik.

Of course, times have changed, so call them whatever you want

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The Black Aces aren't the same thing as the playoff taxi squad. Generally, I remember them as being the guys who were the 13th, 14th forwards and 7th, 8th defensemen. For example, the 93-94 guys were Olczyk, Hartman, Hudson, Lidster and Andersson (until he got traded). None of them spent any time in the minors.

By that standard, this year's Aces would be Gilroy, Eminger, Hamrlik.

Of course, times have changed, so call them whatever you want
Spot-on. They weren't players who just skated during practice, they were the healthy scratches who got their chances when we had injuries or suspensions.

This sesaon, due to a lot of injuries, we haven't had forwards being healthy scratches on a regular basis, but if I have to compare attackers form this season to the Black Aces, the names of Powe, Asham and Pyatt come to mind. With a healthy roster and talents performing, those 3 would most likely be our Black Aces together with Gilroy and Hamrlik

05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I think the lack of forwards as Black Aces for most of the year has more to do with our 13th and 14th guys being Kreider and Miller, who are better served in the minors than in the press box.

Now, of course, we have more depth. So Pyatt and Powe for sure.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote