HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Will the world championships come back to NA?

Old
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I was in Halifax for it in 08, and it was a huge hit. Much better atmosphere than Ottawa's world juniors too, because with the Euro fans in the streets at all times, the party atmosphere didn't end once the games did, it was a ten day long hockey fest from the moment you woke up til four in the morning. I can definitely see a non NHL city like London or Hamilton hosting it. Toronto would no doubt do great as well, but that won't happen with the Leafs and Marlies potentially still playing. And if I was you, I'd find a better sports bar. Your current place is a pretty pathetic excuse for one if they don't follow, or even know about the Worlds.
With the 6 hour time difference wouldn't most people in the bar at game times be unemployed

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
ThatGuy22

In theory they could hold a Midwest located championships. Plenty of venues with the Engelstad in Grand Forks(11,000 capacity), Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis(10,000), Bradley Center in Madison(17,000) and Amsoil Arena in Duluth(6,000).

Plenty of available ice. And places that do like hockey, without an NHL team(with the exception of Minneapolis, even though the Wild play in St. Paul).

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 187
If they brought it to Edmonton or Saskatoon, or basically anywhere relatively close, I would definitely go

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
IHaveNoCreativity

I think so, and I hope so.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLAzzurri View Post
As a Canadian, I think they should keep them in Europe. They wouldn't be able to hold it in any NHL cities as it coincides with the playoffs obviously.
so what about the 14 teams that don't make the play offs?

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
so what about the 14 teams that don't make the play offs?
There is some planning that has go on, can't wait for teams to be eliminated to start awarding the event.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:52 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I prefer it stay in Europe, but here's a suggestion, how about trying it in Paris or London? Now what Canadian hockey player would refuse an invite when his wife and family get an all paid and all inclusive 3 weeks spring vacation in Paris?
If Great Britain was there (and they should be, if it was in London!) they'd get squashed by almost every team they met, although there are probably enough Canadians abroad to watch the Canadian games. I don't know if the demand would be there to see the home team smashed.

Paris would be a slightly smaller version of the same scenario I believe, despite having a more talented roster.

Although I like the idea! Maybe Great Britain can get a few hockey players the way South Korea is doing it and make a push for the top tier soon.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:40 AM
alko

Slovakia want 2018. They wanted do it also in 2015 with Czech Republic, but they refused.

alko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:07 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I suggest Ann Arbor, MI.

Between A2Ice3 (USA Hockey NTDP, USHL) and Yost (University of Michigan, NCAA), there's more than enough ice.

If necessary, Compuware Arena (Plymouth Whalers, OHL) is only a short drive away as well.
Of these stadiums only Yost is (barely) big enough to host a WC game.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:39 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
If Great Britain was there (and they should be, if it was in London!) they'd get squashed by almost every team they met, although there are probably enough Canadians abroad to watch the Canadian games. I don't know if the demand would be there to see the home team smashed.

Paris would be a slightly smaller version of the same scenario I believe, despite having a more talented roster.

Although I like the idea! Maybe Great Britain can get a few hockey players the way South Korea is doing it and make a push for the top tier soon.
GB just got relegated in the WC's this year. South Korea is getting mega government money into their hockey program so that their team doesn't suck when they host the Olympics in 2018. GB hockey gets **** all resources and whilst a few of the available dual nationals would, IMO, help the squad, the GB head coach is pretty against 'plastic' Brits playing and would rather take lesser home grown Brits to the tournaments.

If the KHL is seriously attempting to push Elite hockey further West then they should look to their sponsors to sponsor the WCs and put them in places like London, Paris etc, to see how well they are received.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:01 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Absolutely. No offense to the people that love this tournament (i for one love watching the tournament),but since the tournament is not best and best, and it is held during the middle of the NHL Playoffs, it would be a mistake to have it in Canada or even the US. All of the attention and focus is on the Playoffs, and frankly
nobody cares about it.
Last year i went to my local sports bar in
Toronto, and told them to put on the Canada game; and the

people there did not know what i was talking about because they did not know that they were even playing. There is no attention to the game. If we win, that is great, but if we do not, it is no big deal. I just do not know why the World Championships are not held maybe during September before the start of the NHL season, so more of the best players can possibly suit up.
Worked pretty well in 2008 attendance-wise. I would imagine TSN got better ratings than usual. The only negative would be the lower European TV audience.

Halifax would be a great spot to host again.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:09 AM
waitin425

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
I was curious to see what you North Americans think about the possibility of the World Championships coming back to North America. The tournament in Canada in 2008 had the sixth highest attendance per game in the history of the tournament with 8,834 per game? That's not bad.

The tournament is usually held in two arenas not too far from each other? Which options do you see in North America? The schedule of the AHL and NHL collides with the tournament, but it seems the other leagues are done by the time it's World Championships.
Wait.....less than 9000 people is 6th highest?? I promise you if London had it, it would sell out.....every game 9090 people per game easy!

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:01 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Wait.....less than 9000 people is 6th highest?? I promise you if London had it, it would sell out.....every game 9090 people per game easy!
I doubt that Italy-Austria would sell out abywhere if none of these countries were the host.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
There was a lot of enthusiasm for the tournament in 2008, no reason to think this couldn't happend again.
It did well attendance wise but outside of Halifax and Quebec City there wasn't much enthusiasm for the tournament. NHL playoffs still dominated.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:04 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It did well attendance wise but outside of Halifax and Quebec City there wasn't much enthusiasm for the tournament. NHL playoffs still dominated.
I didn't go to Halifax, but people in Quebec City were very happy to have high level hockey back in town, and some sport shop owners were very surprised and pleased by the number of visitors the tournament brought, so I have no doubt they would enjoy the opportunity to organise it again.

If Quebec City did fine while a strong Montreal team was in the playoffs, there is no reason other Canadian cities couldn't do it, even if the closest NHL team is still playing.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
It could be huge in Canada if they put a bid in and hope for the best that the NHL team closest to the cities hosting doesn't make the playoffs.

I say leave it in Europe. They may not get the big stars, but they do get a few stars that play over there and they can see them live. Would help to grow the game, too I'd think.

I care about the WC and if it were in Ottawa I might go. However, I do watch it on tv when I can.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
I hope it's never in North America. It's not fair to Europeans to take it out of the European timezones to cater to North Americans who aren't going to be watching it because of the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
EbencoyE

The US and Canada would probably get the WC easily if they actually had any interest in hosting it. Canada has the WJC every other year which more Canadians care about and thus makes them more money, and USA Hockey isn't going to bother with it either since they can't count on Canadians to fill the arena like they do when they host the WJC or any other tournament. A tournament in, say, Minnesota isn't likely to get many European visitors either.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:36 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post

Paris is already bidding for the WC (in 2017 I believe)

London won't happen unless Britain can promote and stay in the top division for a while. Even Budapest was overlooked even though Hungary has actually promoted to the top fairly recently.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
And if I was you, I'd find a better sports bar. Your current place is a pretty pathetic excuse for one if they don't follow, or even know about the Worlds.
You're in T.O., where do you go?

I'd like it to come to NA, and all the suggestions were pretty good, except for Toronto.
London, Paris, Phoenix, Regina/Saskatoon...all of them.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

Quote:
As a Canadian, I think they should keep them in Europe. They wouldn't be able to hold it in any NHL cities as it coincides with the playoffs obviously.
For the most part.
If a dual cities wanted to it could happen.
I think there's lots of places in northern USA that could as well.
I don't think the USA will ever get the attendance most places in the world would though.

I like it as a predominantly European thing though, I think they like it more than we do, and don't have the NHL around to mess with things.

One of the better parts about the WC is that you get to watch games early in the morning, then NHL playoff games at night. For days and days of unadulterated hockey.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Petey21

Although it's predominantly a European tournament, it's pretty refreshing if it's held in North America once in a while. It was pretty successful in Quebec and Halifax, and I could consider Hamilton an option as well.

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21 View Post
Although it's predominantly a European tournament, it's pretty refreshing if it's held in North America once in a while. It was pretty successful in Quebec and Halifax, and I could consider Hamilton an option as well.
It does well in non-NHL cities. I think they should maybe go to Saskatchewan next.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
MTLAzzurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
GB just got relegated in the WC's this year. South Korea is getting mega government money into their hockey program so that their team doesn't suck when they host the Olympics in 2018. GB hockey gets **** all resources and whilst a few of the available dual nationals would, IMO, help the squad, the GB head coach is pretty against 'plastic' Brits playing and would rather take lesser home grown Brits to the tournaments.

If the KHL is seriously attempting to push Elite hockey further West then they should look to their sponsors to sponsor the WCs and put them in places like London, Paris etc, to see how well they are received.
Bolded part is interesting, although I doubt they improve tremendously in the next 5-6 years. Any chance they reach out to some dual national American and Canadians who want to represent their parents' countries to help bolster the squad?

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Bolded part is interesting, although I doubt they improve tremendously in the next 5-6 years. Any chance they reach out to some dual national American and Canadians who want to represent their parents' countries to help bolster the squad?
Korea has already improved tremendously in the past 3 years. Who knows what they're capable of in another 5-6.

They also added Brock Radunske (Canadian) to their roster this year after he played the necessary amount of time in Korea for Anyang Halla and gained Korean citizenship.

They don't plan on naturalizing any more players though, mostly because there isn't enough time to do so before the Olympics - nor enough interest from players who are skilled enough to make the team.