HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst Print Media: Toronto, Montreal, or elsewhere?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Upgrayedd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Ottawa's media are the biggest homers ever and Toronto's are the biggest haters ever... I guess it depends what you dislike more
Lol serious? Im pretty sure Ottawa is the only sporting city where virtually none of the media covering the team actually root/are fans of said team....garrioch(habs) and brennan(bruins) will go toe to toe with anyone in the world regarding awful sports reporting this i am sure of!

Upgrayedd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Swarez

Montreal is the worst, unless you are quebecois than you are treated with kid gloves. I speak pretty good french and read a lot of stuff. The PK stuff was mostly a joke. If he did what kessel did this week stayed away from media he would have been called a self centered arrogant d-bag.

Toronto has a lot of media, but they treat teams with kids gloves. I live in Toronto/Leafs fan and never hear Kessel talk. The only time they talked about it was right before playoffs. He talked, and its over.

I think a lot of it is driven by the fans, I don't think we really care if they talk to media etc, in Montreal (I am assuming here) they are more vocal, here we are more laid back with our team.

Ottawa- who reads Ottawa papers? seriously even if I am in Ottawa i'll go find a post or the star.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Stauffer is really the only PR guy for the Oil. If anything Edmonton has a pretty unbiased media.

They are also pretty reputable around the league. Their work on Corsi, Fenwick etc has been taken on by others.

Although Staples at times is clearly looking for some massive brownie points.

Ok. Stauffer is a PR guy, Tencer is the same thing. They blatently argue with fans about everything the Oilers tell them to and positive spin everything. Like during the 10 game losing streak when Tencer is trying to tell people the Oilers are in a positive direction because one game they lost "they didn't quit half way through"...

Then you get the papers, Terry Jones gets a bit of a pass because of his 80s work but he questioned the management, and that Tambellini needs to get fired. Next day Tambellini is fired. You really think that wasn't a sell job by the Oilers? After that even though it's the same management team with a new puppet Jones is praising their vision for the future.

Staples is just a beat reporter that started a blog because he wants in on the action. His took on the arena sell job schtick and ran with it to get points with the Oilers.

All the Corsi garbage is just another Edmonton blogger. The "blogosphere" of the Oilers is just a massive group of infighting internet clowns, but they are hardly the day to day media of the team.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:17 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Oh the irony....that picture should be below your quote.

It's 2013 not 1998....you can follow your team a multitude of ways online through bloggers or forums and don't need local reporters.

Yeah, because I trust what you post more than the people who get paid to report information. Did you know that Crosby's dating Taylor Swift now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
was thinking the same thing
Faidh ar Rud Eigin knows where it's at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Bob McCown isn't a Sportsnet journalist. He's a radio host who happens to work for Sportsnet's flagship radio station. Besides, he's smart, know's what he's talking about. People don't like him because he's abrasive. He's also more interested in baseball than hockey anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
100 per cent.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:19 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Toronto has a lot of media, but they treat teams with kids gloves. I live in Toronto/Leafs fan and never hear Kessel talk. The only time they talked about it was right before playoffs. He talked, and its over.
Did you see his interview the other day? He said the exact same thing as you.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZKingK View Post
Ottawa is pretty bad
Agreed

Emery got in a fender-bender and the print ran him out of the city in the off season. The Ottawa Sun had Emery on the front page for weeks, like he was Lindsey Lohan.

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Inconceivable

Toronto. Always trying to stir up controversy for no reason

Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:11 PM
TheStroker

mtrl

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:42 PM
bogolisk

Montreal's print is pretty bad, but the radio guys are 1000 times worse than the print guys: always finding way to stir up ****.

Ottawa Sun's guys are just dumb!!!

Last edited by spiny norman: 05-01-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: filter
bogolisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Perfect_Drug

Edmonton media is run like North Korea.

Even when mired in the basement, the media spins everything the organization does as a good thing.

Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Swervin81
Deflated Leafs Fan

Toronto. We have tools like Damien Cox, Steve Simmons, Dave Feschuk, and anyone from the Toronto Sun.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:25 AM
jetsfan8

winnipeg is the worst
we have a bunch of idiots who report completely different and opposite stories that are bs
then we hve lawless.....

jetsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:30 AM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Ottawa's media are the biggest homers ever and Toronto's are the biggest haters ever... I guess it depends what you dislike more
The national sports media in Canada are mostly based in Toronto and are major Toronto homers.

There are some pretty bad reporters in Ottawa but they are not homers, Brennan is a major Bruins fan for example and even most of the radio personalities are fans of other teams-the Flames the Devils the Habs and so on.

Wayne Scanlan of the Citizen is pretty good though.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:48 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

print? toronto maybe
tv? it's got to be montreal hands down. l'antichambre is a fine example of that. like watching a bunch of drooling morons... makes kipper and mclean look like a couple of geniuses.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:49 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

You should read some of the Buffalo News stuff. I stopped reading it a few years ago. But everytime someone quotes something a columnist spews, I shake my head at the clueless sophomoric "journalist" things they write about. It's pitiful.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Holden66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
The national sports media in Canada are mostly based in Toronto and are major Toronto homers.

There are some pretty bad reporters in Ottawa but they are not homers, Brennan is a major Bruins fan for example and even most of the radio personalities are fans of other teams-the Flames the Devils the Habs and so on.

Wayne Scanlan of the Citizen is pretty good though.
The Citizen is considerably better than the Sun for hockey coverage, that is true, however I take issue with your point about the print media not being homers. They clearly are. They may have been fans of other teams as you point out but they are now jornos working for the Ottawa papers. The radio personalities rival the print media for the "homerism" title in this city, no doubts about that.

Holden66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:15 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

I don't think anyone in the Toronto media actually likes the Leafs or grew up as Toronto sports fans.

Even the Raptors are reported on with more respect and professionalism than the Leafs, it's pretty sad and frustrating.

Simmons is the worst though, extremely low class and it disgusts me that he gets gigs on TSN after some of the articles he's written, especially the one questioning Burke's ability to continue performing his job after his son died tragically and unexpectedly. Even if there's some possibility that it affected his ability to run a hockey club, you just don't go there even if it's crossed you mind, yet of course he did go there with a full article on the subject.

SmoggyTwinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:25 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyTwinkles View Post
I don't think anyone in the Toronto media actually likes the Leafs or grew up as Toronto sports fans.

Even the Raptors are reported on with more respect and professionalism than the Leafs, it's pretty sad and frustrating.

Simmons is the worst though, extremely low class and it disgusts me that he gets gigs on TSN after some of the articles he's written, especially the one questioning Burke's ability to continue performing his job after his son died tragically and unexpectedly. Even if there's some possibility that it affected his ability to run a hockey club, you just don't go there even if it's crossed you mind, yet of course he did go there with a full article on the subject.
So journalists shouldn't ask tough questions that arise from current events?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:53 AM
StringerBell

Vancouver's print media is bad, but not the worst I don't think. I do however think we have the worst radio media when it comes to hockey. A few hours before the game tonight, the hosts of the 'Canucks Lunch' show on the team's official station were speculating that Schneider couldn't play because he was suffering from anxiety after the Boston bombings near his home town.

And that's just today

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
"Darkest day in Canadiens history"

enough said...
Yup

Montreal has, hands down, the worst media. All they know is the Canadiens and not much else throughout the league. Consequently, many Habs fans know little to nothing about anything else, hence the overrating of players and prospects.

Hard to blame them, that's what's accessible (btw I exclude many on here, HF is different). They're the biggest homers when things are going right but will throw the team under the bus when it's bleek.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Forgot about Vogl. He's pretty bad. I've seen him "interview" Miller with the obvious, exclusive purpose of trying to set him off and create a controversy. Hatchet man.
That's Harrington or Sullivan or Gleason. Vogl's never done that in my experience. The other three provincial buffoons though, suck at being good journalists.

Harrington's probably the worst. I know he's blocked people on Twitter who have schooled him on things ranging from the CBA to waiver rules. His usual comeback tends toward "how many followers do you have" or "where is your journalism degree from". I've seen more professionalism from Grade 10 year book editors.

05-02-2013, 09:08 AM
tml145

for the longest time i gave a pass to the Toronto media

the team was crap

negative articles are a given

but this year, they were writing negavive articles during a stretch of games where the team got points in 13 of 17 games

we have all watched Kessel play the past 4 seasons in Toronto and know what kind of player he is

but the print media guys keep advocating to trade him in an article every weeks

i have a feeling Kessel will sign in Minnasota or Nashville next summer

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
but he was implying in multiple articles that Burke couldn't do his job properly because of the death of his son

to me that is just classless

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Lol serious? Im pretty sure Ottawa is the only sporting city where virtually none of the media covering the team actually root/are fans of said team....garrioch(habs) and brennan(bruins) will go toe to toe with anyone in the world regarding awful sports reporting this i am sure of!
Picked up the Ottawa Sun the past few days (going back to Sunday);

Tim Baines: 10 Reasons the Senators are in the playoffs, he even mentions Dany Heatley not being here.
Tim Baines: Rebuild? What rebuild?
Brennan and Garrioch: Fluff pieces about Karlsson.
Garrioch: Article about Andy not having won a playoff series.
Full page article about Bryan Murray and his genius, how he wants to target Habs' fans kids for Senators conversion.
Fluff article on Paul MacLean

And so it goes...

There's a reason our team hasn't accomplished anything in years, there is no pressure from the media, no pressure from the fans, no pressure from upstairs. The only guy on the whole team that mentioned beating all teams in front of him, Erik Karlsson.
Our media is garbage cheerleaders.

Now, Toronto media is good to awful. Steve Simmons spends his time manufacturing imaginary slights and targeting skilled players. Damien Cox similary runs players out of town. Overall though Toronto brings a good amount of criticism toward the team, balances it out with some homers (Bryan Hayes comes to mind).

Montreal media is by far the best. You have a great mix of critical articles, some boosterism and a ton of analysis, at least from the print media. TSN Montreal is garbage though, but I listen to CKAC for the most part, Ron Fournier at least being somewhat critical in between being funny and homerish.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:20 AM
ungentrified

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Not when you go so low in your columns as to imply your subject is doing a bad job because a) there might be some problems with his marriage and b) he might be an alcoholic, among other bottom-feeding topics that Simmons has speculated on.

There may be lots of media in Toronto, but they are definitely not homers. It's hard to say that people like Simmons and Cox actually like success because they thrive so much on the controversy and conflict that emerges from losing. Unfortunately, their wide circulation also means their drivel tends to influence most casual fans' perceptions too.

ungentrified is offline   Reply With Quote