HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

(2) Montreal Canadiens vs. (7) Ottawa Senators | Pt. III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
  #926
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Try pp time minus pk time. Just for fun.
I won't. It is not relevant. PP and PKs end after a goal. Opportunities is what you must look at.

Your PKs last longer because you have the best PK. This scews time.

SeriousHabs is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
  #927
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
He mentioned the stat, whereas I posted it. He also used time, which is completely worthless.
You didn't post it, though. Again, your reading comprehension has failed you.

He was not talking about this season alone.

"Over the last decade" is not "over the last 48 games" ... I'm sorry.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:31 AM
  #928
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Montreal was 4th in the regular season in G/G. Ottawa was 27th.

Are posters really wondering why Montreal draws more penalties? It's simple: They threaten to score more often.

lamp9post is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:31 AM
  #929
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
You didn't post it, though. Again, your reading comprehension has failed you.

He was not talking about this season alone.

"Over the last decade" is not "over the last 48 games" ... I'm sorry.
How many players from both teams were in the league 10 years ago? Why not look at the past 20 years while we are at it? How many of the refs were the same? The rules?

SeriousHabs is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
  #930
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
How many players from both teams were in the league 10 years ago? Why not look at the past 20 years while we are at it? How many of the refs were the same? The rules?
I am not debating the validity of his argument.

I'm telling you he's saying one thing and you're posting stats about something else.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
  #931
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,437
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
They watch, like, five games a year on Centre Ice! If that doesn't qualify them to be experts, what does?!
Dude we're stuck with 82 games on Sportsnet and CBC on weekends. Nice try. I watch the Sens a lot when the Habs aren't playing, always like the style of game they played and always been a big fan of Spezza

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  #932
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 50
I see that the excuses are already starting to lineup

Bob Cole is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  #933
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Montreal was 4th in the regular season in G/G. Ottawa was 27th.

Are posters really wondering why Montreal draws more penalties? It's simple: They threaten to score more often.
I think if this argument has proven anything, it's that the Sens are even bigger underdogs than we first thought.

The King of Town is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:35 AM
  #934
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
I won't. It is not relevant. PP and PKs end after a goal. Opportunities is what you must look at.

Your PKs last longer because you have the best PK. This scews time.
Ok, I'll settle for pp opportunities minus pk opportunities.

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:35 AM
  #935
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
On mobile so it's hard, but I'll tell you where and you can do the math. Go to NHL.com...go to team stats. At the top there is a bunch of clickable words. Go under penalty killing. One of the stats is total pp time minus total pk time. Then add up all 30 teams for the last 10 years. It may take you half an hour. Or just look at each season individually which takes no time.
Thanks, checked it out. Are you sure you were looking under total PP - PK? Montreal wasn't near first and Ottawa wasn't even close to last over the last decade. In fact, unless you only focus on the last 4-5 yr, Montreal's was worse than Ottawa's.

Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  #936
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
I see that the excuses are already starting to lineup
I love the attitude that some Habs fans seem to believe they've never disliked or gotten irritated with certain refs before. They're above the whole thing. The Sens are alone in this phenomenon and they're "blaming" the refs already.

I'd love to see the reaction if Chris Lee showed up in this series. Or any series that MTL plays in going forward.

I'm sure not a single person would complain, right? Please.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
  #937
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,437
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
I think if this argument has proven anything, it's that the Sens are even bigger underdogs than we first thought.
This is going to be a long tight series, neither team is going to have it easy

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
  #938
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
I love the attitude that some Habs fans seem to believe they've never disliked or gotten irritated with certain refs before. They're above the whole thing. The Sens are alone in this phenomenon and they're "blaming" the refs already.

I'd love to see the reaction if Chris Lee showed up in this series. I'm sure not a single person would complain, right? Please.
We would freak out and cry bloody murder, just like the Sens fans are doing. Anyone saying otherwise is lying, but to be fair I haven't seen anyone say otherwise yet.

However that's not what's going down, so in the mean time we can get a good laugh out of the referee situation. Pre-excuses are the best

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
  #939
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Ok, I'll settle for pp opportunities minus pk opportunities.
You were -10. We were +30.

SeriousHabs is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
  #940
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
We would freak out and cry bloody murder, just like the Sens fans are doing.

However that's not what's happening, so in the mean time we can get a good laugh out of it. Pre-excuses are the best
Pre-excuses for what? Regardless of referee, the Sens are going to take more penalties than the Habs. We take a lot of them anyway. O'Rourke just means the quality of them will be questionable.

The Sens don't need an "excuse" to lose to the Habs. The Habs are the better team. They can win all on their own.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
  #941
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
This is going to be a long tight series, neither team is going to have it easy
That's not what I'm getting from Habs fans in here.

I just hope we manage to take the lead at least once.

The King of Town is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
  #942
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
Pre-excuses for what? Regardless of referee, the Sens are going to take more penalties than the Habs. We take a lot of them anyway. O'Rourke just means the quality of them will be questionable.

The Sens don't need an "excuse" to lose to the Habs. The Habs are the better team. They can win all on their own.
Just for fun, show me all the Habs fans saying we wouldn't be annoyed with Lee reffing the series. Seems to me that you are attacking a position no one took. I may be wrong though, this thread is going by really fast, so I may have missed it.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:43 AM
  #943
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Just for fun, show me all the Habs fans saying we wouldn't be annoyed with Lee reffing the series. Seems to be you are attacking a position no one took. I may be wrong though, this thread is going by really fast, so I may have missed it.
The difference is that you can find anti-Lee articles from several years ago. This O'Rourke thing is based on 3 games.

SeriousHabs is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:44 AM
  #944
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Just for fun, show me all the Habs fans saying we wouldn't be annoyed with Lee reffing the series. Seems to be you are attacking a position no one took. I may be wrong though, this thread is going by really fast, so I may have missed it.
That's the thing - the attitude that Sens fans are blaming the refs already when the truth is, if it was Lee, the Habs fans would be saying the same things.

Yet there are Habs fans who act like the Sens are just complaining for the sake of complaining and have no basis to their arguments. Mostly from people who didn't see the games being discussed.

I know you would be annoyed if it were Lee. So acting incredulous to the Sens being annoyed is a bit hypocritical.

Penny Lane is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:44 AM
  #945
ILLESToO
Forever red & black
 
ILLESToO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,536
vCash: 500
Seriously I know O'rourke is a ****ing joke but game isn't even started now we look like whinners who're trying to find excuses over excuses, there are 1000 excuses we could find and same for the Habs, just enjoy the ride folks, hope for the best and expect the worse too! Good series MTL and Sens fans!!

ILLESToO is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
  #946
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
The difference is that you can find anti-Lee articles from several years ago. This O'Rourke thing is based on 3 games.
Was O'Rourke reffing the game where the Sens got called on a phantom goalie interference penalty, and the good goal got denied?

I would be pissed about that as well.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
  #947
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
I think if this argument has proven anything, it's that the Sens are even bigger underdogs than we first thought.
It's not an argument, it's a fact; one that could explain the differential in PP opportunities between the two teams.

If you look at GA/G Ottawa is 2nd and Montreal is 14th. So does that make Montreal the underdog?

lamp9post is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:46 AM
  #948
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
That's the thing - the attitude that Sens fans are blaming the refs already when the truth is, if it was Lee, the Habs fans would be saying the same things.
.
But he is isn't. Honestly, has ANY Habs fan denied that they would be pissed if Lee was reffing this series?

Attacking a position no one took is an exercise in futility my friend. It only serves in getting yourself riled up.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
  #949
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
It's not an argument, it's a fact; one that could explain the differential in PP opportunities between the two teams.

If you look at GA/G Ottawa is 2nd and Montreal is 14th. So does that make Montreal the underdog?
No of course not. Montreal's offense is way too good, and we can't score goals. It's Montreal's series to lose all the way.

The King of Town is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
  #950
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa > Wisconsin.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
But is isn't. Honestly, has ANY Habs fan denied that they would be pissed if Lee was reffing this series?

Attacking a position no one took is an exercise in futility my friend.
I think you're missing my point.

Thinking the Sens fans are being silly for complaining about O'Rourke is hypocritical when they'd be doing the same thing if it were Lee.

Why complain about a behavior that nobody denies they'd participate in as well if it were their team?

Penny Lane is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.