HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 09:37 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Just wondering : have you guys been watching all these first round players play at least a game or you're talking about what you heard about them?
I watch a ton of OHL games(100+ games a year) which are definitely my favorite to watch, mainly because I think the best players play there. I also see a lot of WHL games and a catch maybe 15-20 Q games a year which are my least favorite unless I catch a feed in english.

If you saw my wants in the last thread, you'll notice most are from the OHL. Sometimes I dont like even looking at the rankings that are released until I make my own judgement. I think a lot of these "experts" we see making rankings just take someone else's ranking and switch them around a little. I think people are either too scared to stray from the usual rankings or don't know enough to take a leap.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:39 AM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
At this point it would be awesome if nichushkin fell to 11, but I would be more than happy if we ended up with ristolainen or pulock. I would feel good if we came out of the draft with any of those three with the 11th pick

Old
05-02-2013, 09:48 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I'd be happy with any of Nurse, Ristolainen or Pulock

Old
05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
At this point it would be awesome if nichushkin fell to 11, but I would be more than happy if we ended up with ristolainen or pulock. I would feel good if we came out of the draft with any of those three with the 11th pick
Agreed, I would be happy with Risto, Pulock, Nich, or Shinkaruk. One of them should be there, if not than logically somebody fell who would probably be worth taking, I don't want Nurse though. I think he's very raw and have little faith the flyers can develop him, plus the whole McNabb factor will get on my nerves (not that it's a reason to pass on him).

Old
05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
litflyersfan

Couturier + our early 2nd to Buffalo for Myers (Our version of Jack Johnson + late 1st for Carter)

Draft BPA at 11th

Don't think Couturier will even get a chance to shine in Philly if Lavy is hell bent on him being/using him as a checking line center. What a waste of talent in that role. Myers is exactly what we need on our back-end, size, speed, right-hand shot. Wonder if this gets it done.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:08 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Couturier + our early 2nd to Buffalo for Myers (Our version of Jack Johnson + late 1st for Carter)

Draft BPA at 11th

Don't think Couturier will even get a chance to shine in Philly if Lavy is hell bent on him being/using him as a checking line center. What a waste of talent in that role. Myers is exactly what we need on our back-end, size, speed, right-hand shot. Wonder if this gets it done.
myers is straight up dumb, dont want him on the team at all. he'd be a whipping boy after 1 shift.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:10 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Understandable. Everyone's got question marks, just who we think can overcome them. Im only going off of what scouts say. if he can improve it he would easily he worth the pick. the ony thing is if he doesnt I dont know how effective he would be in the NHL. I do like Pulock. I'm a Risto fan so I'm obviously hoping he's around when we pic, but wouldn't mind Pulock. I'd have him before Zadarov, Morrissey, and Muller (etc etc)

I really like Pulock...but once i researched Zadorov a little more I came away with the feeling that he's going to add some more offensive production to his already very solid defensive game...together with his truly exceptional size (the recent article below has him at 6'7"), in my mind, make him a special player. This was his first season in the OHL, playing the "north american" game. He put up .40 pts per game. I'm thinking that rises next season as he takes on a larger role and further asserts himself in the offensive zone. Listening to inerviews etc., this kid seems to be smart, determined and dedicated to improving.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ts/#more-88795

Something is telling me to take this kid (if available) or regret it later. That said, I would probably be happy with Pulock or Nurse.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestique View Post
It's Philly press! Can't you see Tim P going on how Nurse is a bum just like his uncle McNabb blah blah blah.
It's OK, if he's in Canada, people will associate him with his father, clutch CFL receiver Richard Nurse, not his uncle by marriage. I trust our scouts to figure it out....

Old
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
ORYX

Is it possible (of course its possible, but how likely?) that if Nurse/Ristolainen/Zadorov are off the board by the 11th pick, unless a dynamite forward slips to us, that the Flyers trade back in the first round, instead of 'stretching' for the remaining d-men?

It seems there are forwards available in that draft position who hold higher NHL potential, than the available d-men. Wouldnt make sense to draft Pulock, Morrissey in that position would it, if you could draf them towards middle/late teens?

Im just thinking out loud. I'd just hate to see them stretch for a d-man and subsequently pass over higher impact forwards. If the right D-man isnt there, I'd love to see them draft a flashy winger, if one slips as a result of some d-men going ahead of their time.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd be happy with any of Nurse, Ristolainen or Pulock
Not sure if it's against the rules to share info from the non-commercial competition, but the Orange and Black.net board has a great thread on Defensive Draft Prospects with a bunch of video clips of Risto, Pulock, Morrissey and Morin and some articles on Zadorov among others. Some good sleuthing.

http://www.orangeandblack.net/philly...raft-Prospects

The Ristolainen advertisement video was particularly scary. It's a nice day for a white wedding! No wonder his stock is dropping. He makes Bryz seem sane!

Old
05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Flyers2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I really like Pulock...but once i researched Zadorov a little more I came away with the feeling that he's going to add some more offensive production to his already very solid defensive game...together with his truly exceptional size (the recent article below has him at 6'7"), in my mind, make him a special player. This was his first season in the OHL, playing the "north american" game. He put up .40 pts per game. I'm thinking that rises next season as he takes on a larger role and further asserts himself in the offensive zone. Listening to inerviews etc., this kid seems to be smart, determined and dedicated to improving.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ts/#more-88795

Something is telling me to take this kid (if available) or regret it later. That said, I would probably be happy with Pulock or Nurse.
I agree...I think he's a special player and whichever team gets him will be extremely lucky. If he's available and we pass on him we'll regret it. I really hope he's our pick.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
BillDineen

From the Morin highlights video, his skating is very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veePsuUDpDY

Zadorov in the first and Morin in the second would be nice.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
From the Morin highlights video, his skating is very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veePsuUDpDY

Zadorov in the first and Morin in the second would be nice.
Movement looks good, but he's a tricky prospect. Stock is rising, so he won't likely make it to the 2nd (let alone to 41), but he still strikes me as a huge reach at 11.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:05 PM
StoneHands

I know we all have our hopes up for a franchise defenseman in the first round but don't be surprised if the Flyers end up picking a forward, maybe even a center in the first round.

Last 10 drafts:
Center- Laughton, Couturier, Giroux, Carter, Richards
Wing- JvR, Downie
Defense- Sbisa
Goalie-

5 Center, 2 wingers, 1 defenseman, no goalies.

The Flyers love drafting centers. They love being stacked down the middle. They look at it as a problem they like to have and think they can just move someone to wing if they need to sinc it's harder to move a wing to center if you run into injury problems.

They drafted Carter and Richards when we alre had Roenick(who was 32 years old), Primeau, and Handzus. They added 2 centers to a team stacked with centers.

They drafted Giroux when carter and Richards were rookies, Forsberg was 32 but had just posted 75 points in 60 games and turned Gagne from a 25-30 goal scorer to a 40-45 goal scorer, handzus was in his prime, and Umberger looked like a 3rd line option. Again added a center into a mix with 2 other recent first rounders, a hall of famer, and 2 solid 3rd line centers.

They drafted Couturier when we really needed a defenseman. Pronger and Kimmo were both 35 and Pronger had injury problems. We had Giroux, Briere, Carter, and Richards down the middle who finished 1-4 in that order in team scoring. Everyone was screaming "Dougie!" at the TV when they were up to draft and then took a Center.

Last year they drafted Laughton when we had Giroux who just fully broke out, had just traded for Schenn, and had just drafted Couturier. It looked like our top 3 center spots were potentially filled for the next 10 years. We also still had Briere under contract for a few more years, Read who showed he could play center in a bind, and Talbot who scored 19 goals and showed he could be a good 3rd liner when needed. pronger was obviously done for good and Timonen was clearly declining, and they knew they would be letting Carle walk in free agency yet they drafted another center.

Dont be surprised if the Flyers pick a forward especially if someone like Monahan or Lindholmsomehow drops. The Flyers love picking best available and usually thats a center in their minds.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

In my eyes the Flyers really can't go wrong with the 11th pick. one of Nurse, Pulock, Ristolainen or Zadorov will be there and while some are better than others in certain aspects of the game, they all have tremendous upside. i'd be very happy with any of them really.

really starting to like the idea of Pulock especially after watching these these:

Old
05-02-2013, 12:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I know we all have our hopes up for a franchise defenseman in the first round but don't be surprised if the Flyers end up picking a forward, maybe even a center in the first round.

Last 10 drafts:
Wing- JvR, Downie
Defense- Sbisa
Goalie-

The Flyers love drafting centers. They love being stacked down the middle. They look at it as a problem they like to have and think they can just move someone to wing if they need to sinc it's harder to move a wing to center if you run into injury problems.

They drafted Carter and Richards when we alre had Roenick(who was 32 years old), Primeau, and Handzus. They added 2 centers to a team stacked with centers.

They drafted Giroux when carter and Richards were rookies, Forsberg was 32 but had just posted 75 points in 60 games and turned Gagne from a 25-30 goal scorer to a 40-45 goal scorer, handzus was in his prime, and Umberger looked like a 3rd line option. Again added a center into a mix with 2 other recent first rounders, a hall of famer, and 2 solid 3rd line centers.

They drafted Couturier when we really needed a defenseman. Pronger and Kimmo were both 35 and Pronger had injury problems. We had Giroux, Briere, Carter, and Richards down the middle who finished 1-4 in that order in team scoring. Everyone was screaming "Dougie!" at the TV when they were up to draft and then took a Center.

Last year they drafted Laughton when we had Giroux who just fully broke out, had just traded for Schenn, and had just drafted Couturier. It looked like our top 3 center spots were potentially filled for the next 10 years. We also still had Briere under contract for a few more years, Read who showed he could play center in a bind, and Talbot who scored 19 goals and showed he could be a good 3rd liner when needed. pronger was obviously done for good and Timonen was clearly declining, and they knew they would be letting Carle walk in free agency yet they drafted another center.

Dont be surprised if the Flyers pick a forward especially if someone like Monahan or Lindholmsomehow drops. The Flyers love picking best available and usually thats a center in their minds.
We didn't have Richards and Carter on the roster when we drafted Couturier. They were traded a couple of days before that draft. I can't speak for everybody but once the 7th pick passed and Sean was still there I was praying Homer wasn't going to F it up and not take him. He was the BPA at that point and ranked number 1 overall at certain points during that year.

You always take the BPA. You don't draft for needs like they do in football and other drafts. Besides its better to take centers because you can always convert them to wing.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Last 10 drafts:
Wing- JvR, Downie
Defense- Sbisa
Goalie-

If Monahan or Lindholm gets to 11, then I think most of us would agree that the Flyers will and should pick them.

That said, the assumption (or hope?) that they'll take a defenseman is only partly about perceived organizational needs, which, as you've pointed out, haven't been a guiding factor in the past. It is also about projecting who BPA might be at 11. Going off of most lists, there's a strong chance that it will be defenseman.

Remember, by most accounts, we were slated to take Siemens until Couturier fell in 2011.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
@1:10.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I'm really starting to get on the Ryan Pulock train. I was originally a little leery about him because I really haven't seen him play much, plus his numbers were down this year. But the Wheat Kings offense sucked a fat one this year compared to last; but he was second on the team in scoring this year, had 14 goals in 61 games from the point, already has an NHL frame and from all reports he's a really smart player. Seems like he's gonna be a good one.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
We didn't have Richards and Carter on the roster when we drafted Couturier. They were traded a couple of days before that draft. I can't speak for everybody but once the 7th pick passed and Sean was still there I was praying Homer wasn't going to F it up and not take him. He was the BPA at that point and ranked number 1 overall at certain points during that year.

You always take the BPA. You don't draft for needs like they do in football and other drafts. Besides its better to take centers because you can always convert them to wing.
You're right, brain fart on the Carter and Richards trades. But still, that year, they had Giroux, Schenn, and Briere still locked up for a few years.

I agree though, and I liked the Couturier pick then, and still do now. As you said, you pick BPA especially that earlier in the draft. Looking back though, it may have been better if we would have picked Dougie which is who a lot of people wanted.

The only problem with BPA is that if there is a Center and a defenseman that msot people feel are equal, the Flyers will almost certainly take the forward. Not that it's a bad thing, forwards seem easier to project than defenseman. I just see a lot of people listing 3-4 defenseman that they want with the first pick and I'm just saying, don't be shocked if they pick a forward, or even more specifically a center again.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Movement looks good, but he's a tricky prospect. Stock is rising, so he won't likely make it to the 2nd (let alone to 41), but he still strikes me as a huge reach at 11.
Morin got turned inside out a few times on that video and he can be beaten wide. On top of that, you can see that there's issues with his turning and pivoting. His speed in general is good, but his footwork is going to need a lot of work. The raw skill is there, but once again, if you're drafting Morin, you're looking 4 to possibly 5 years worth of development before he cracks the roster full time.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
His skating looked pretty good there.

Meltzer breaks down the defensemen in the draft.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...1#.UYKlssppRtw

Quote:
Ryan Pulock: In my opinion, Pulock is the defenseman in the Draft with the highest all-around upside after Jones. He may not be the second or even the third defenseman off the draft board, but he'd be the blueliner I'd have the highest after Jones.

In my opinion, the primary reason why Pulock is not the consensus second-ranked D-man in the 2013 Draft is the chip fracture in his wrist that caused him to miss time this season and knocked him out of the Top Prospects Game. Even after he returned to the Wheat Kings' lineup, he was not quite at 100 percent for several weeks.

Looking beyond the injury, which is now fully healed, there is a lot to like about Pulock's potential. Start with his shooting. He possesses a rocket of a shot, which has been clocked at over 100 miles per hour. More importantly, he gets his shots on the net and doesn't have a long, slow windup. As such, he stands a very good chance of becoming a top-unit power play point man as he develops in the professional ranks.

Pulock is also fairly reliable on the defensive side of the puck. Forget his plus-minus ranking this year. His minus-seven was a reflection of playing on a bad Brandon club. His defensive game is not yet NHL caliber but is evolving at a satisfactory clip toward that status. In limited viewing exposures, I saw him routinely make a good first pass out of the defensive zone and generally makes the right reads on opposing rushes. All the tools are there to become a dependable two-way defenseman.

Pulock is not the speediest defenseman in the draft class in foot races, but he's not a deficient skater. Likewise, he's not always mean or physical but has it in him to play that way when the situation dictates it. In a mid-November game against Kootenay that I caught via webcast, he threw a pair of crushing hits on a single shift with his team trailing 2-0 early in the game. The Wheaties lost the game, 5-3, but Pulock had nothing to do with any of the Ice's goals and was easily the best defenseman on the ice for either side in that match. He also contributed a power play goal to the effort.

In an age of behemoth defensemen who can also skate well, Pulock's frame (6-feet, 210 pounds) is average sized but far from small. He will continue to fill out.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
BillDineen

Quote:

Last 10 drafts:
Wing- JvR, Downie
Defense- Sbisa
Goalie-

Giroux was a winger. Just saying.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
His skating looked pretty good there.

Meltzer breaks down the defensemen in the draft.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...1#.UYKlssppRtw
Just came to post this.

I found his description of Pulock quite intriguing--and the verdict (2nd best after Jones) makes sense if you accepted both 1) he has the highest all around upside and 2) he's the safest projection of the options.

I'm still not convinced he's the best choice--but I think he's the defenseman that the team is more likely to take at 11, and I wouldn't be disappointed in the selection.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If we got Pulock, does he go back to juniors?

Closed Thread