HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Being an AHL allstar and an NHL all star a completely different ball games. We have seen players succeed in the AHL and bomb in the NHL. It's not uncommon whatsoever.

Strome is being developed the right way. Nino was thrown right into the mix and now he isn't playing with the big club and is unhappy. He already asked to be moved. A team trying to get him won't/shouldn't offer a first rounder. Late 2nd rounders are more probable.

Isles think Nino's development is back on track.

Nino and his agent have both accepted, he has no leverage to force a trade. The agent has said how tough he expects Nino's 2014 contract talks with Snow will be.

Boyes, struggling the last 5 weeks and in the playoffs is a ufa this summer.
Moulson, having taken 2 cheap contracts, will be a ufa in 2014.

Coming in 2013-2014 Moulson-Tavares-Nino
Coming in 2014-2015 Strome-Tavares-Nino.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Strome is being developed the right way. Nino was thrown right into the mix and now he isn't playing with the big club and is unhappy. He already asked to be moved. A team trying to get him won't/shouldn't offer a first rounder. Late 2nd rounders are more probable.
There's literally no reason for the Islanders to do that.

If he still wants out, Nino's best bet is to come in next year and set the world on fire and set himself up for his extension talks next summer. If Snow aims too low, try to force an offer sheet, but coming off of a then-successful season, moving into the city, I'd think he'd be thrilled to stay put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Coming in 2014-2015 Strome-Tavares-Nino.
"TSN" line?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:19 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Message board fans?? I am just going on what was reported by media outlets. I even said he could be moved, but it's not a definite. Just some players to keep your eyes on. He asked to be moved.

Could you link where Snow and his agent said they won't deal him please.
You may have to go to archives.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter
Isles not interested in moving upset Niederreiter
Published: January 22, 2013 8:42 PM
By ARTHUR STAPLE arthur.staple@newsday.com
Rufener sent Snow the email last week, during the Islanders' six-day training camp prior to the start of the current, 48-game season, voicing his displeasure with the team's handling of his client. The next day, Snow, along with his coaches from the Islanders and in Bridgeport, sat down with Niederreiter after the scrimmage between the Islanders and the Sound Tigers and discussed why Niederreiter did not get an invite to the NHL camp.

"He's playing 20-22 minutes a night, playing in all situations," Snow said when the Isles camp opened. "It's more conducive for him to be there at this point in time."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/coreypronman
Corey Pronman‏@coreypronman
Talked to a scout yesterday who described his AHL play as 'dynamic'. RT @SinedHockey: @coreypronman Thought on Niederreiter?
Expand
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...aubt--30354469
Q: What are you going to do now?
A: We’ll see. I’ll have some tough negotiations with GM Garth Snow when Nino’s contract is over in two years, anyway. I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance. It doesn’t matter if this team is the New York Islanders or a different team.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I'm a Blues fan coming in peace and I just want to explain our financial position to clear some things up. I'll just respond to posts if questions are brought up as I don't want to stir things up.

We have been on a budget for quite awhile, that is true. It is also true that last season, we would have been profitable if we went on a deep playoff run. That kind of sums up last season.

Over the summer, Armstrong was given a budget, and we made competitive offers to Carle an Garrison. For majority of the season we were spending under budget by about 4-5 million.

Our ownership has been cutting costs, most notably John Davidson at $2 million and the Peoria Rivermen that was operating at an unknown loss and it was a significant amount, so take what Vancouver paid us and take the loss out, and that is a significant amount. Ownership also cut numerous other positions on the non-hockey side. Basically, a lot of non-essential costs have been cut.

We have local ownership that are huge Blues fans, and they do have money, in particular the Taylor family, they own Enterprise and are billionaires. We have the ability to spend whatever we want, but they don't want to lose a boatload of money either.

Blues fans do expect a move to be made, but the moves we expect include moving a forward from the group of Perron/Berglund/Stewart/Oshie and possibly moving Halak. Reasons for these trades could be failure in the playoffs, financial, or young players like Jaskin or Allen taking their spot.

Hope this kind of clears things up and explains why we aren't too worried about losing our defensemen. Now, if you have interest in any of those forwards or Halak, then we could discuss a deal, but Schenn would probably be the only player that we'd have interest in, as we need a center to take more offensive minutes since we have Backes to play the shutdown role.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You may have to go to archives.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter
Isles not interested in moving upset Niederreiter
Published: January 22, 2013 8:42 PM
By ARTHUR STAPLE arthur.staple@newsday.com
Rufener sent Snow the email last week, during the Islanders' six-day training camp prior to the start of the current, 48-game season, voicing his displeasure with the team's handling of his client. The next day, Snow, along with his coaches from the Islanders and in Bridgeport, sat down with Niederreiter after the scrimmage between the Islanders and the Sound Tigers and discussed why Niederreiter did not get an invite to the NHL camp.

"He's playing 20-22 minutes a night, playing in all situations," Snow said when the Isles camp opened. "It's more conducive for him to be there at this point in time."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/coreypronman
Corey Pronman‏@coreypronman
Talked to a scout yesterday who described his AHL play as 'dynamic'. RT @SinedHockey: @coreypronman Thought on Niederreiter?
Expand
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...aubt--30354469
Q: What are you going to do now?
A: We’ll see. I’ll have some tough negotiations with GM Garth Snow when Nino’s contract is over in two years, anyway. I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance. It doesn’t matter if this team is the New York Islanders or a different team.
So this whole ordeal basically came from Nino's agent who was angry he wasn't invited to training camp? I would fire him if I was Nino. I do believe Nino would have to tell him to do so though.

Alright rule out Nino as a possible trade chip for the Islander. Still think Burmistrov is worth a look from Winnipeg if they don't ask the world for him.

Last edited by Prongo: 05-02-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm a Blues fan coming in peace and I just want to explain our financial position to clear some things up. I'll just respond to posts if questions are brought up as I don't want to stir things up.

We have been on a budget for quite awhile, that is true. It is also true that last season, we would have been profitable if we went on a deep playoff run. That kind of sums up last season.

Over the summer, Armstrong was given a budget, and we made competitive offers to Carle an Garrison. For majority of the season we were spending under budget by about 4-5 million.

Our ownership has been cutting costs, most notably John Davidson at $2 million and the Peoria Rivermen that was operating at an unknown loss and it was a significant amount, so take what Vancouver paid us and take the loss out, and that is a significant amount. Ownership also cut numerous other positions on the non-hockey side. Basically, a lot of non-essential costs have been cut.

We have local ownership that are huge Blues fans, and they do have money, in particular the Taylor family, they own Enterprise and are billionaires. We have the ability to spend whatever we want, but they don't want to lose a boatload of money either.

Blues fans do expect a move to be made, but the moves we expect include moving a forward from the group of Perron/Berglund/Stewart/Oshie and possibly moving Halak. Reasons for these trades could be failure in the playoffs, financial, or young players like Jaskin or Allen taking their spot.

Hope this kind of clears things up and explains why we aren't too worried about losing our defensemen. Now, if you have interest in any of those forwards or Halak, then we could discuss a deal, but Schenn would probably be the only player that we'd have interest in, as we need a center to take more offensive minutes since we have Backes to play the shutdown role.
Thanks for the write up. I'm looking forward to playing each team in the league twice next season, cause I haven't seen enough of those forwards to know if any of them are worth the Flyers trading for.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
So this whole ordeal basically came from Nino's agent who was angry he wasn't invited to training camp? I would fire him if I was Nino. I do believe Nino would have to tell him to do so though.

Alright rule out Nino as a possible trade chip for the Islander. Still think Burmistrov is worth a look from Winnipeg if they don't ask the world for him.
I think any player can be dealt.

I had a mini debate with another NYI fan, over my preferring Stamkos to Tavares.

But, 20 yr old Nino has no leverage to force a trade. Nino and his agent have shutup and sat down. If Snow gets a Nino offer he likes, Nino may be dealt. But, Snow's not trading him because he's sad or on the cheap.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:

Appreciate the write-up, thanks!

Old
05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

L. Schenn gets no love around the league.

From the Oilers board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Philly needs D..
My PHI proposal:

Petry + N.Schultz +1st
for
Schenn + Schenn +1st

We take a hit on D but add the right guys..

Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

From the Oilers board:
That is the same guy who wanted the 11th overall for Petry.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
There are Oilers fans who would say they're taking a hit by trading for prime Hasek.

05-02-2013, 12:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

From the Oilers board:
Luke has two things going against him, he's not a flashy player and he used to play for the Leafs. That's why he gets no love.

I wouldn't do that trade honestly. I like Schultz but I'm not really crazy about Petry.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There are Oilers fans who would say they're taking a hit by trading for prime Hasek.
Schenn is always going to be undervalued by fans of other teams for two reasons:

1. He started in Toronto on the big stage, and he underwhelmed for a lot of his time there.

2. He's a stay at home defenseman. He'll never put up big stats that will jump off the page to people that don't watch him.

I really don't care how other fans view him at this point. If he continues to improve the way he has since being traded here, he'll be vital to a potential cup run in the future with this core.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
That is the same guy who wanted the 11th overall for Petry.
To be fair in that thread about us trading our 11th overall pick for young PMD, there's some crazy offers. Diaz, Petry, Wiercioch, etc. A bunch of guys would never fetch that kind of return.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Thanks for the write up. I'm looking forward to playing each team in the league twice next season, cause I haven't seen enough of those forwards to know if any of them are worth the Flyers trading for.
Oshie is a 55ish point 2-way forward regardless of what system he is in. He can play in any situation, brings energy, and can is a big help to the transition game.

Stewart is a 60 point winger, but Blues fans believe his production would be elevated if we can acquire a 1st line playmaking center, so I think he would excel with Giroux, but doesn't Voracek play the RW on his line, so not sure if it's the best fit. He has stretches of dominate 1st liner and follows it up with stretches of average 2nd liner.

Perron is very inconsistent, but in a system that fits him better, he's a 60-70 point player. Last season he was on pace for a 30-30 season, so a more free-flowing offensive system would see him be even more productive. Similar to Stewart he will have stretches of game-breaking ability and stretches of invisibility or a defensive liability. You will either love watching him or he will drive you nuts.

Berglund is the most frustrating player I've ever seen. He's a shoot first center, but only shoots if he has a high probability of scoring. Sometimes he uses his body and goes to the net, and sometimes he just stays on the perimeter. Ideally he is a 3rd line center on a contender, but will have seasons of a good 2nd liner. He's pretty comparable to Handzus.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Oshie is a 55ish point 2-way forward regardless of what system he is in. He can play in any situation, brings energy, and can is a big help to the transition game.

Stewart is a 60 point winger, but Blues fans believe his production would be elevated if we can acquire a 1st line playmaking center, so I think he would excel with Giroux, but doesn't Voracek play the RW on his line, so not sure if it's the best fit. He has stretches of dominate 1st liner and follows it up with stretches of average 2nd liner.

Perron is very inconsistent, but in a system that fits him better, he's a 60-70 point player. Last season he was on pace for a 30-30 season, so a more free-flowing offensive system would see him be even more productive. Similar to Stewart he will have stretches of game-breaking ability and stretches of invisibility or a defensive liability. You will either love watching him or he will drive you nuts.

Berglund is the most frustrating player I've ever seen. He's a shoot first center, but only shoots if he has a high probability of scoring. Sometimes he uses his body and goes to the net, and sometimes he just stays on the perimeter. Ideally he is a 3rd line center on a contender, but will have seasons of a good 2nd liner. He's pretty comparable to Handzus.
I would be happy getting one of Stewart, Perron, or Oshie. I feel they would all fit into the team rather nicely. The only problem is the return, what are the Blues needs?

Old
05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
I would be happy getting one of Stewart, Perron, or Oshie. I feel they would all fit into the team rather nicely. The only problem is the return, what are the Blues needs?
We'd need at least Brayden Schenn, which probably ends talks.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Speculation on twitter throughout the day is the Canucks might entertain offers for Edler. Would you be willing to part with Couts for him? It would be Couts+ though.

That team needs a culture change, dare I say, similar to one the Flyers went through when they traded #18 and #17.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Curufinwe

Then change the coach. Trading Couturier wouldn't change a thing in terms of culture.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Speculation on twitter throughout the day is the Canucks might entertain offers for Edler. Would you be willing to part with Couts for him? It would be Couts+ though.

That team needs a culture change, dare I say, similar to one the Flyers went through when they traded #18 and #17.
My favorite defensemen are offensive d-men from Sweden or Finland so I'm in.

As long as the Flyers don't trade this years first. Don't have a problem moving Couts for him. The question is how much else needs to be added.

I think Couts will be a player in this league...but I don't think he's ever going to be a big scorer, but more of a two-way centerman. If the Flyers could fill a huge need by getting a D-man in his prime who moves the puck better than any other D on the roster that's worth it.

If you can somehow luck into drafting Risto adding both Edler and Risto to this team plus making Mason the starting goalie suddenly you have a very different look and more success running Lavy's system IMO.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:01 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

What leads you to believe they need another culture change? They need a GM and coach who are on the same page more than anything.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
What leads you to believe they need another culture change? They need a GM and coach who are on the same page more than anything.
The Canucks are one of the most ridiculed teams in the NHL. The team is known for diving, complaining to the media, whining about the refs. They have some of the most hated players in the league in Lap, Burrows, Kesler. The team gets no benefit of the doubt anymore from the way their key players play the game. It might be best for them to change the culture of the team and head in another direction. I am not saying blow it up(keep the Sedins) but move some players. Kesler, Lap, Burrow should all be candidates to be shipped out. Since their cup run they have been a serious disappointment, they need to change something.

They are a team in trouble. Relying on a coaching change to change that locker room might be a good idea, but it might not solve the way some of those players play the game.

Also when did they have a culture change before? That team has been pretty much the same for about 4-5 years. Just in decline.

Also there is something bound to happen there anyway. They are in horrible condition cap wise. I believe I saw somewhere they have the most 4 mill+ contracts in the NHL. Luongo needs to be shipped out or bought out. I think they keep Schneider.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
The Canucks are one of the most ridiculed teams in the NHL. The team is known for diving, complaining to the media, whining about the refs. They have some of the most hated players in the league in Lap, Burrows, Kesler. The team gets no benefit of the doubt anymore from the way their key players play the game. It might be best for them to change the culture of the team and head in another direction. I am not saying blow it up(keep the Sedins) but move some players. Kesler, Lap, Burrow should all be candidates to be shipped out. Since their cup run they have been a serious disappointment, they need to change something.

They are a team in trouble. Relying on a coaching change to change that locker room might be a good idea, but it might not solve the way some of those players play the game.

Also when did they have a culture change before? That team has been pretty much the same for about 4-5 years. Just in decline.

Also there is something bound to happen there anyway. They are in horrible condition cap wise. I believe I saw somewhere they have the most 4 mill+ contracts in the NHL. Luongo needs to be shipped out or bought out. I think they keep Schneider.
My bad. Read it on my phone as if you said the flyers need another change. Agreed about the canucks then. They left their prime when the kings knocked them out last year.

Old
05-08-2013, 03:36 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
I would give up Couturier and any prospect not named Laughton, Gustaffsson, or Gostisbehere. And not the 11th OVR or any 1st round pick, unless we are getting a first in return. I think a lot agreed that Couturier + 1st in 2013 for Edler + 1st in 2013 was a pretty reasonable deal. I think I'd be ok with that deal

Old
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I would give up Couturier and any prospect not named Laughton, Gustaffsson, or Gostisbehere. And not the 11th OVR or any 1st round pick, unless we are getting a first in return. I think a lot agreed that Couturier + 1st in 2013 for Edler + 1st in 2013 was a pretty reasonable deal. I think I'd be ok with that deal
I'd do that too, because it is need for need. Edler isn't old by any stretch and we already have a logjam of young centers.