HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XVIII - TWTW Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I'll give you the Pistons but the Mavs were pretty stacked

Old
05-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'll give you the Pistons but the Mavs were pretty stacked
But had 1 star, the Bulls are a similar team. 1 supertstar and the rest some good role players.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:21 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
The guys around those stars were so much better though. Rasheed Wallace, who is that guy on the Bulls?

Old
05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The guys around those stars were so much better though. Rasheed Wallace, who is that guy on the Bulls?
The Pistons didn't have a star, they where just a good team.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:26 AM
coldsteelonice84

The concern with the Bulls is that Rose starts to break down when the better depth finally does arrive. You'd like to see them do something about it sooner rather than later but they don't have much to give up to get it. Howard is a joke but if he hits UFA, you have to consider it.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Illinihockey

People always point to the Pistons. That was the exception. Plus that LA team absolutely melted down. That was probably the worst season in the NBA over the past 30 years. The early-mid 2000's were really a low point in the NBA.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:58 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

It doesn't happen often but does happen.
Look at the guy holding the trophy.

OMG, a stacked team with Dirk won a title!! I am so shocked!!

Old
05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Really? I disagree.

Dallas had the most effective bench player of either team (Terry), but their starting lineup was clearly inferior.

Rose is a much better player than Kidd, Butler is better than Stevenson, Deng is a good deal better than Marion (who I actually really like), Nowitzki's got a big edge on Boozer, and Noah is a little better than or about as good as Chandler.
Mavs main bench producers were Terry and Barea. Bulls' main guys today (assuming health, obviously) are Hinrich, Gibson, Belinelli, and Robinson. Give the Mavs the edge for having the best player, but it's not that large.

I don't see much of a difference between the two teams other than the fact that their two superstars play different positions.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Look at the guy holding the trophy.

OMG, a stacked team with Dirk won a title!! I am so shocked!!
That's the point. A team built well around 1 superstar can win it.

I'd argue that the current Bulls supporting cast is clearly better than Nowitzki's. I'd take Rose, Deng, Boozer, and Noah over Nowitzki, Marion, Kidd, and Chandler any day of the week. Doesn't require much deliberation at all.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Really? I disagree.

Dallas had the most effective bench player of either team (Terry), but their starting lineup was clearly inferior.

Rose is a much better player than Kidd, Butler is better than Stevenson, Deng is a good deal better than Marion (who I actually really like), Nowitzki's got a big edge on Boozer, and Noah is a little better than or about as good as Chandler.
Mavs main bench producers were Terry and Barea. Bulls' main guys today (assuming health, obviously) are Hinrich, Gibson, Belinelli, and Robinson. Give the Mavs the edge for having the best player, but it's not that large.

I don't see much of a difference between the two teams other than the fact that their two superstars play different positions.
You nailed the difference. Nowitzki is 6'11 and Derrick Rose is 6'2. Jason Terry played the 3rd most minutes per game on that Mavs team. I'm not sure how you can say he is a bench player. Their starting 5 was Kidd-Terry-Marion-Nowitzki-Chandler.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
That's the point. A team built well around 1 superstar can win it.
Except it's way harder when your star is a PG. That'd be the 1st position that I'd want a complimentary player in.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
You nailed the difference. Nowitzki is 6'11 and Derrick Rose is 6'2. Jason Terry played the 3rd most minutes per game on that Mavs team. I'm not sure how you can say he is a bench player. Their starting 5 was Kidd-Terry-Marion-Nowitzki-Chandler.
He played the same role as J.R. Smith - didn't start games, but finished them and played a lot of minutes. The ultimate point was that the Mavs' supporting cast for Nowitzki was either inferior or about equal to what the Bulls would offer Rose this year and next.

I'm not sure why you make the distinction in height as if having (one of) the best big men and shooters in the league is somehow more advantageous than having the best point guard.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Except it's way harder when your star is a PG. That'd be the 1st position that I'd want a complimentary player in.
Why? If your star is the best point guard in the league and you can choose between him and one of the best power forwards, what makes the choice so easy in the latter direction?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Why? If your star is the best point guard in the league and you can choose between him and one of the best power forwards, what makes the choice so easy in the latter direction?
How many teams have won championships with their biggest start as a point guard?

Here's a list of the most recent championship PGs:

Chalmers
Kidd - Once was a 'star', was able to win with Dirk in front of him
Fisher
Rondo - a top star today, but not his team's #1 star at the time
Parker - could you build a team around him? No, he's a #2 star
Payton - role player at that point behind Wade & Shaq
Billups
Avery Johnson

So, pretty much all role players, with a few guys who are stars but not ones who could lead a team just role players beneath them. You simply don't need a star PG as much as you need stars elsewhere.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
He played the same role as J.R. Smith - didn't start games, but finished them and played a lot of minutes. The ultimate point was that the Mavs' supporting cast for Nowitzki was either inferior or about equal to what the Bulls would offer Rose this year and next.

I'm not sure why you make the distinction in height as if having (one of) the best big men and shooters in the league is somehow more advantageous than having the best point guard.
It absolutely is more advantageous. Please list the teams that won when their best player was shorter than 6'5. Isiah Thomas in 1990 may be the only example in the last 40 years.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yep, all about height. Those teams had it, the Bulls don't. The taller the Bulls players get, the worse they are.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
It absolutely is more advantageous. Please list the teams that won when their best player was shorter than 6'5. Isiah Thomas in 1990 may be the only example in the last 40 years.
Yes, the best players in the league have tended to be tall. Perhaps that's because the league's average height is 6'7".
(Also liked the cutoff being put at 6'5". Quite convenient given Bryant is listed as 6'6").

Guards have had a renaissance in recent years. There was a huge dry spell for them until somewhat recently.

IU - no, you don't need a star point guard, but that doesn't mean you can't win with one. There has not been a point guard as good as Rose was (pre-injury) in a very long time.

coldsteel, the Bulls' best players outside of Rose are all forwards. Boozer, Deng, and Noah. Not sure why you would say that.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
IU - no, you don't need a star point guard, but that doesn't mean you can't win with one. There has not been a point guard as good as Rose was (pre-injury) in a very long time.
Seems to me like you can't, since nobody ever does.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Yes, the best players in the league have tended to be tall. Perhaps that's because the league's average height is 6'7".
(Also liked the cutoff being put at 6'5". Quite convenient given Bryant is listed as 6'6").
So was Jordan...

Old
05-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Seems to me like you can't, since nobody ever does.
It was the league's worst position for a number of years. The best point guards were usually not in the discussion at all for best players in the league. So yeah, obviously there's not much precedent.

Was there a ton of precedent for big men whose games are purely shooting-based to win championships before Nowitzki did? No, and the talk around the NBA regarding Dallas was always that Nowitzki needed another star, or was "soft," or was too weak defensively...

Old
05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
So was Jordan...
Right. Under the league average. But of course it's impossible to win with guys who aren't really tall.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
coldsteel, the Bulls' best players outside of Rose are all forwards. Boozer, Deng, and Noah. Not sure why you would say that.
The guys with size are decent. They need that monster tall guy like Dirk or Sheed though. Doesn't have to be a prototype low post player but they need someone a big notch above the likes of Boozer and Noah.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Right. Under the league average. But of course it's impossible to win with guys who aren't really tall.

Good shooting guards usually aren't giants.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Guards have had a renaissance in recent years. There was a huge dry spell for them until somewhat recently.

Its because small players can't get their shot off. Point guards don't lead teams to titles, its just how it is. There have been all kinds of great point guards/lead guards over the years (Payton, Iverson, Stockton, Hardaway, Kidd, Deron Williams, Nash, CP3, Rose, etc.) None of those players have lead their team to a title and only 2 made the Finals and Payton may not have been the best player on that Sonics team.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
The guys with size are decent. They need that monster tall guy like Dirk or Sheed though. Doesn't have to be a prototype low post player but they need someone a big notch above the likes of Boozer and Noah.
They're not going to get a Nowitzki-level talent without giving up every good player on the roster not named Rose.

Wallace averaged 13 points per game in Detroit's two long playoff runs.

Closed Thread