HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Eh? I thought that was the whole point, was to revitalize downtown, you are telling me it is already a busy active center. And you get one block north or one block east from 'downtown' and it's as big of a cespool as the north east.
It keeps the people downtown. They can leave a game and walk to nice pubs. Whereas currently nobody is saying "Hey, let's go for a nice stroll down these dark streets past that massage parlor to enjoy a beer with the locals at Duster's Pub."

Old
05-01-2013, 01:59 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Eh? I thought that was the whole point, was to revitalize downtown, you are telling me it is already a busy active center. And you get one block north or one block east from 'downtown' and it's as big of a cespool as the north east.
It is an active busy centre. The problem being, much the same as other cities, once the business community leaves it becomes a ghost town. The arena in theory will help keep those people "near" the action and likely spur new bars/restaurants that will entice other patrons eventually making a new hot spot.

The area north of the arena will almost certainly be developed with new multifamily housing and will eventually move the cesspool a little farther north and east but that is irrelevant. The area of focus is "and I'm assuming here" south of the proposed arena site and into dowtown as it should be.

Old
05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
pucky

He can afford to give money to politicians, why can't he fund his own rink? If I was an Edmontonian, I'd be asking that question.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
It keeps the people downtown. They can leave a game and walk to nice pubs. Whereas currently nobody is saying "Hey, let's go for a nice stroll down these dark streets past that massage parlor to enjoy a beer with the locals at Duster's Pub."
Most urban downtowns have areas with these characteristics. The problem is that there isn't enough legitimate activity going in Edmonton's downtown after 6 pm.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
He can afford to give money to politicians, why can't he fund his own rink? If I was an Edmontonian, I'd be asking that question.
You know there is a vast difference between a couple of hundred thousand and 400 million right?

Old
05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Then god forbid, KATZ would actually have to come up with real money. You know, like what happened in Ottawa.
With that guys ttrack record, aint going to happen.
Good thing you've been paying attention over this whole ordeal. River Cree offered to help out with an arena out there a while back. Around 2 years ago if I remember correctly.

On another not, does anyone on here actually argue their points like an adult anymore, or is everyone just devolving to the 14 year old girl style of argument on both sides. "OMG this is going to happen like this, because so and so never does anything right". It's pretty damned sad.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Good thing you've been paying attention over this whole ordeal. River Cree offered to help out with an arena out there a while back. Around 2 years ago if I remember correctly.

On another not, does anyone on here actually argue their points like an adult anymore, or is everyone just devolving to the 14 year old girl style of argument on both sides. "OMG this is going to happen like this, because so and so never does anything right". It's pretty damned sad.
This is basically where this board is at now.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:13 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
It is an active busy centre. The problem being, much the same as other cities, once the business community leaves it becomes a ghost town. The arena in theory will help keep those people "near" the action and likely spur new bars/restaurants that will entice other patrons eventually making a new hot spot.

The area north of the arena will almost certainly be developed with new multifamily housing and will eventually move the cesspool a little farther north and east but that is irrelevant. The area of focus is "and I'm assuming here" south of the proposed arena site and into dowtown as it should be.
Good post - if anyone has had the opportunity to be in NHL cities prior to downtown arenas being built and witnessing the change in the area after the arena is built will understand the benefit.

Denver, St. Paul, Winnipeg and even Calgary experienced an increase in new business/restaurants/bars that have changed the dynamics of the areas, not only for NHL games but for other events at the arena.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
We could always screw up the entire thing, pull an Ottawa and build it in Enoch.
Meh, the City is already built right up to Enoch, wasn't Kanata actually a drive out of Ottawa?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:04 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post

I'd be curious what River Cree's standpoint would be now. I've heard they are starting to change things up with regards to who's running things there now.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Most urban downtowns have areas with these characteristics. The problem is that there isn't enough legitimate activity going in Edmonton's downtown after 6 pm.
Agreed.

But I was saying the area around Rexall is far worse and putting another arena in the NorthEast won't help anything. People will go and leave just as they do now. At least in Edmonton's downtown now there are areas that are legit. Far rather go out to eat at the restaurants downtown than the Coliseum Inn. You can make a night out downtown, not in the North end.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I'm on the far west end, I would love if it was in Enoch!

Old
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Agreed.

But I was saying the area around Rexall is far worse and putting another arena in the NorthEast won't help anything. People will go and leave just as they do now. At least in Edmonton's downtown now there are areas that are legit. Far rather go out to eat at the restaurants downtown than the Coliseum Inn. You can make a night out downtown, not in the North end.
Would be good if it was true.

Ironically you have a better chance of getting into a restaurant post game around Rexall(Coliseum Steak and Pizza) then you would around downtown with restauarants invariable closed by 10pm downtown.

Downtown currently has thousands of patrons from the Citadel, Winspear, Shaw Conference, roaming around after a show looking for something to do. I always like to have dinner after a show. On a weekday its a rush to go out for dinner before a performance so I like to go after. But you find one restaurant after another downtown that is closed early.
Desperate, one night we even tried to hit up BP's downtown and it too was closing at 10pm. Ironically we ended up going to one in our burb that had no discernible closing time.

This, in a microcosm is everything wrong with our downtown and it occurs despite downtown foot traffic increasing.

My sum experience with downtown is its essentially closed for business on Sundays and closed early on weekdays = fail.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Would be good if it was true.

Ironically you have a better chance of getting into a restaurant post game around Rexall(Coliseum Steak house) then you would around downtown with restauarants invariable closed by 10pm downtown.

Downtown currently has thousands of patrons from the Citadel, Winspear, Shaw Conference, roaming around after a show looking for something to do. I always like to have dinner after a show. On a weekday its a rush to go out for dinner before a performance so I like to go after. But you find one restaurant after another downtown that is closed early.
Desperate, one night we even tried to hit up BP's downtown and it too was closing at 10pm. Ironically we ended up going to one in our burb that had no discernible closing time.

This, in a microcosm is everything wrong with our downtown and it occurs despite downtown foot traffic increasing.

My sum experience with downtown is its essentially closed for business on Sundays and closed early on weekdays = fail.
You must've been at a BP's on a Sunday or a one off. There is generally more places downtown to go to, well places that people actually want to go to. Your experience with downtown isn't an accurate one.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You must've been at a BP's on a Sunday or a one off. There is generally more places Your experience with downtown isn't an accurate one.
The last time I mention actually was a Sunday. You don't find it odd a BP's on Jasper AVe was closing at 10pm on a Sunday when any one of their locations in our burb is open latenight and has regular traffic latenight?

We went and tried several places downtown. EVERY restaurant on the boardwalk was closed, Any place we tried closed. Its a ghost city for a reason, every diner is closed.

I'm sure I could find several nightclubs open at the time but not what I'm looking for.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

I also can't imagine these places shutting up shop on a night that 20,000 people are in the area. Right now, sure.

Downtown is also getting a plethora of viable pubs to go to, I know of two of those beer tap specialty pubs opening in the next two months within walking distance of the proposed arena site. Anywhere you go on Jasper up to 104 ave these days there is a new restaurant or pub opening up.

If you can't find somewhere to enjoy a night out in around the new arena these days you're not really looking or haven't been downtown in a while. Whyte Ave will pale in comparison by the time that place is open.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I also can't imagine these places shutting up shop on a night that 20,000 people are in the area. Right now, sure.

Downtown is also getting a plethora of viable pubs to go to, I know of two of those beer tap specialty pubs opening in the next two months within walking distance of the proposed arena site. Anywhere you go on Jasper up to 104 ave these days there is a new restaurant or pub opening up.

If you can't find somewhere to enjoy a night out in around the new arena these days you're not really looking or haven't been downtown in a while. Whyte Ave will pale in comparison by the time that place is open.
I have zero interest in going to a pub after going to the Citadel or Winspear. It isn't pub food or atmosphere one tends to look for. Used to be many places like Bistro Praha, Waldens, Carvery, Pacific Fish Company etc. open and close by after a play. Performers and Patrons alike going out after a show. Now unless you like dreck like Sherlock Holmes nowhere decent to go nearby.

It doesn't create much sustained foot traffic when all restauarants within a few blocks of the Entertainment district are all closed early. I'm unfamiliar with any downtown anywhere closing early as much as ours does.

Again, any number of restaurants in the Burbs, and anywhere but downtown have the sense to stay open a little longer. Currently the thousands of patrons roaming around looking for a place after a show learn to just go home. Nothing going on.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

I have to agree. As for what Replacement is looking for it might not exist in this City. Doesn't want to go to Pubs, but goes to BP's. Bistro Praha apparently is open til midnight sunday so who knows.

I do know that if you want to go out downtown there is a variety of spots and they are busy, a lot more then what is around the current district.

http://bistropraha.com/page/contact/

Old
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Tedi

Quote:
I have zero interest in going to a pub after going to the Citadel or Winspear. It isn't pub food or atmosphere one tends to look for. Used to be many places like Bistro Praha, Waldens, Carvery, Pacific Fish Company etc. open and close by after a play. Performers and Patrons alike going out after a show. Now unless you like dreck like Sherlock Holmes nowhere decent to go nearby.

It doesn't create much sustained foot traffic when all restauarants within a few blocks of the Entertainment district are all closed early. I'm unfamiliar with any downtown anywhere closing early as much as ours does.

Again, any number of restaurants in the Burbs, and anywhere but downtown have the sense to stay open a little longer. Currently the thousands of patrons roaming around looking for a place after a show learn to just go home. Nothing going on.
Isn't it the whole, if you build it they will come type thing or at least it may spur the new establishments to build there...maybe??

Old
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Quote:

Yeah, I don't know what else you're looking for. Just because a place serves beer doesn't mean they don't serve good food. Try one of the tap houses, not Sherlock Holmes. Hit up the Underground, good food, quiet crowd. Nevermind the taps and presto! Instant restaurant.

A new place opening this spring right across from Sherlock Holmes, turn the corner there's the Underground across the street from Ruth's Chris, wrap around to the other side and you have a street full of varying restaurants. And that's all in one block.

Or you can stay in the North end, and walk to the Coliseum Inn or head on over to Duster's and have three people in five minutes ask you if you either want to buy or sell them weed.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Isn't it the whole, if you build it they will come type thing or at least it may spur the new establishments to build there...maybe??
Not at all, for those old enough to remember downtown used to be hopping in the 70's and 80's with quality restaurants all over the place. Many of these places apparently a distant memory. There was a lively after oerformance restaurant circuit here and Rice Howard and Boardwalk were a big part of that. Theres plenty of people downtown, and certainly enough to warrant some restaurants to stay open late. Where are they?

Old
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Not at all, for those old enough to remember downtown used to be hopping in the 70's and 80's with quality restaurants all over the place. Many of these places apparently a distant memory. There was a lively after oerformance restaurant circuit here and Rice Howard and Boardwalk were a big part of that. Theres plenty of people downtown, and certainly enough to warrant some restaurants to stay open late. Where are they?
i'm not from edmonton, but from reading this thread there are LOTS of people giving you restaurant ideas, but you just seem to be ignoring them

Old
05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Very few pure restaurants are open late anywhere, especially on Sundays. Certainly not fine dining places. Because we don't live in Spain where people go out to eat at 10 p.m. Places that are open late tend to be places that cater to a young crowd: MRKT, the Hat, the Common. You want white table cloths and the whole nine yards, you're gonna have to book before the show. That holds in just about any city.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I have to agree. As for what Replacement is looking for it might not exist in this City. Doesn't want to go to Pubs, but goes to BP's. Bistro Praha apparently is open til midnight sunday so who knows.

I do know that if you want to go out downtown there is a variety of spots and they are busy, a lot more then what is around the current district.

http://bistropraha.com/page/contact/
Bistro Praha on RHW used to be a fine place and a regular gathering point post theatre. The new location is bland, no atmosphere, and not at all the same feeling. Gone is a European atmosphere that fed the place.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know what else you're looking for. Just because a place serves beer doesn't mean they don't serve good food. Try one of the tap houses, not Sherlock Holmes. Hit up the Underground, good food, quiet crowd. Nevermind the taps and presto! Instant restaurant.
As a rule (and for good reason) I don't go to bars or nightclubs period. I don't go to any establishment in Edmonton where the express purpose is drinking. Been there, done that, learned from it.

Quote:
A new place opening this spring right across from Sherlock Holmes, turn the corner there's the Underground across the street from Ruth's Chris, wrap around to the other side and you have a street full of varying restaurants. And that's all in one block.
Not sure which specifically you are referring to. Which restaurants? Ruth Chris btw way being an awful steak place. Good for anybody that wants butter marinated steak I guess. I can get a better steak almost anywhere.

Quote:
Or you can stay in the North end, and walk to the Coliseum Inn or head on over to Duster's and have three people in five minutes ask you if you either want to buy or sell them weed.
I get accosted more for money in a two block walk ANYTIME downtown virtually anywhere I go. Not sure what great distinction you are making with that.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Very few pure restaurants are open late anywhere, especially on Sundays. Certainly not fine dining places. Because we don't live in Spain where people go out to eat at 10 p.m. Places that are open late tend to be places that cater to a young crowd: MRKT, the Hat, the Common. You want white table cloths and the whole nine yards, you're gonna have to book before the show. That holds in just about any city.
They used to be here in this very same city. In the 70's late night dining downtown was a rule. Edmonton had a vibrant, varied, downtown nightlife at that time. People would be quite surprised.

I don't want the white cloths either ftr. Just a decent restaurant open late.

If I go to Montreal, Vancouver, even Calgary, I have no trouble getting a table at a decent restaurant late at night.

Closed Thread