HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who still has faith?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Frelimo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Take a page out of the Leafs history book, the 92/93 Leafs round #1:

April 19 - Toronto 3 Detroit 6
April 21 - Toronto 2 Detroit 6

April 23 - Detroit 2 Toronto 4
April 25 - Detroit 2 Toronto 3
April 27 - Toronto 5 Detroit 4 (OT)
April 29 - Detroit 7 Toronto 3
May 1 - Toronto 4 Detroit 3 (OT)
Toronto wins best-of-seven series 4–3

If we're down 3 games then we're out of it.

Thanks for reminding us. That was also with a playoff-fresh goalie.

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Stephen

I still think the Bruins are ripe for a picking, but at the same time there's one issue with the Leafs that I need to figure out first:

When they play without skill, composure, compete level, hockey sense, skating etc., I wonder if it's because they've just neglected to do the things they ought to, or if the opposition has effectively shut them down.

That version of the Leafs that was smart, quick, physical and offensively explosive against a Philadelphia in our first meeting for example, I wonder if Toronto is actually capable of playing that way.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Really wish people would stop saying crap like this. Reimer was great last night.
Reimer was ok last night, but a starting goaltender cannot concede 1-2 soft goals in the playoffs. He was far from great.

That being said, Reimer gets a mulligan because it was his first playoff action. I think he has the fortitude to bounce back with a great effort in game 2.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Nope. This team would never have even made the playoffs on a full 82 game season. No way they get past the first round against a strong, tested team like Boston.

We're ****ed.
Leafs mailed it in game 48 against Montreal and as a result of that ended up now playing Boston a much tougher opponent.

If the Leafs do get knocked out early, that will play a part in their fate.

Leafs would have matched up better verses Montreal.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Donmega

If we get blown out in the second game or play like in the first I will lose all my faith.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
abridgel

I am a little concerned that we keep on getting badly outshot - I know Carlyle likes to sweep this under the rug but I think it needs to be addressed. We need to control the puck a little better and get a few more shots on net.

It might be time to call on Jake Gardiner.

abridgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
LC

vCash: 50
I thought they could win 2 games before and now I think they'll maybe win 1. It's just a bad match up for us and when you add in Carlyle trying to grind it out with players like Kostka it just spells disaster. Our tough guys should just be there to back up skill players, not to back up AHL defencemen like Kostka.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Leafsfan83

What I don't get is WHY the Leafs have such a hard time against Boston. Is there another team out there that has such a hard time against the Bruins as well? Other teams lower than the Leafs in the standings don't get dominated by the Bruins like the Leafs do. I don't get it.

I know the Bruins are a good, talented experienced team, won the cup a few years ago etc. I'm not taking any of that away from them.

Leafsfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:31 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
MFW I win the Lotto!

vCash: 50
Yes I have faith. the leafs have the ability to bounce back. they have showed this from time to time during the regular season. whenever we're in a 1 to 2 game losing slump, we usually go on a 3-4 game winning streak right after.

it's only been 1 game, the series is far from over. everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. our team probably had the playoff jitters and the pressure to perform and that got to the players. let's look forward to game 2 instead of people being on suicide watch.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Al14

Based solely on last nights game, I've lost all faith that our Leafs have any chance of winning a game never mind the series.

Our Leafs didn't appear to me, to be in the same league as the Bruins. Totally out classed, out coached, and, out played last night.

If nothing changes, and soon, we'll be gone in 4 straight. The Bruins aren't even going to be beat up coming out of the series either.

We need to come out and make the Bruins pay for touching the puck.

Marchand, Bergeron, and Horton need to be targeted for some really heavy hitting in response to the Ference elbo to Grabo's noggin.

JVR poking Marchand was just plain stupidity in my mind. Marchand needs to be hit, and hit hard, to take him out of the game, not poke at his family jewels as he has claimed.

We need our skill players to play like they have the skills and are determined to compete. We need our D to assert themselves physically! Yes, I'm looking at you Phaneuf, Franson, and Fraser!

Komarov, Kulemin, McLaren, and Orr, need to punish their D on the forecheck with some authority. Yes, I would as coach, play McLaren and Orr against the Bruins. I might even spot them on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines with orders to hit a Bruin at every opportunity.

Come on Leafs, wake up, and be Toronto Strong!

Last edited by Al14: 05-02-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan83 View Post
What I don't get is WHY the Leafs have such a hard time against Boston. Is there another team out there that has such a hard time against the Bruins as well? Other teams lower than the Leafs in the standings don't get dominated by the Bruins like the Leafs do. I don't get it.

I know the Bruins are a good, talented experienced team, won the cup a few years ago etc. I'm not taking any of that away from them.
Yesterday's game showed the difference between a contender and pretender when it comes to Cup aspirations.

It was however to be expected also. as the Leafs are young and inexperienced and still have a long ways to go before they can be where the Bruins are now, and battle ready, experienced and playoff tested.

You can't get experience without playing, so the learning is happening in this series. Leafs are the underdogs and as such the odds of success were always stacked against us to begin with.

As they say its not about getting knocked down, its about getting back up and how you respond thereafter. Game #2 will be interesting and a huge factor in determining the outcome of the series.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
leftwinghockey

The Leafs have been thoroughly outplayed for almost a month, maybe more.

Performances like last night have been common place recently and really not much of a surprise.

Since the beginning of April the Leafs have almost entire hockey games in their own zone.

leftwinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post

Performances like last night have been common place recently and really not much of a surprise.

Since the beginning of April the Leafs have almost entire hockey games in their own zone.
It's almost like Wilson started pulling the strings again in April!

Old
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Yesterday's game showed the difference between a contender and pretender when it comes to Cup aspirations.

It was however to be expected also. as the Leafs are young and inexperienced and still have a long ways to go before they can be where the Bruins are now, and battle ready, experienced and playoff tested.

You can't get experience without playing, so the learning is happening in this series. Leafs are the underdogs and as such the odds of success were always stacked against us to begin with.

As they say its not about getting knocked down, its about getting back up and how you respond thereafter. Game #2 will be interesting and a huge factor in determining the outcome of the series.
The scrum after the game was a little encouraging, like they still had a bit of pride that they weren't going to get run off the ice without some kind of venting...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Split would be huge. You're not in trouble until you lose on home ice, right?

They have some big adjustments to make, but most of the season they have been very good in bounce back games. Biggest one of the year is Saturday. No need for panic.

Yet.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post

The Bruins were the worst team to qualify for the post season based on their record during the last month of the regular season. It means nothing now.

The Leafs have shown that they can play much better than last night. We'll see if they show up in this series.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Liminality

One factor going into the game yesterday that I didn't realize is that our defensive depth is pretty outmatched by Boston's. Kostka and Fraser showed great weakness after being pressured and grinding out for long shifts.

I liked our speed and determination early on in the game but like Carlyle said, we just broke down. The Leafs stopped skating for whatever reason, maybe letting that first goal get to their heads. This is a young and inexperienced team that needs to learn just what level they need to be at during the playoffs and especially against teams like the Bruins.

The Leafs need to keep their speed at an all time high if they want any success against the Bruins. I'm impatiently waiting to see the lineup changes if any that Carlyle might make for the next game.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
The Bruins were the worst team to qualify for the post season based on their record during the last month of the regular season. It means nothing now.

The Leafs have shown that they can play much better than last night. We'll see if they show up in this series.
Will they show up before the series is over?

In the last game of the season against Montreal, they looked like they would rather be golfing than playing hockey!!! Last night was no different.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:51 AM
darrylsittler27

Faith?

I doubt this team would even make the playoffs in a 82 game season.The good news,Luongo would make no difference.I dont think I ever seen such a one sided playoff game before.Unless Reimer gets a shut out,we won't win a single game.No offense,looked scrambly and played the whole game in our own end.Looks like we need much more than a star center.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
One factor going into the game yesterday that I didn't realize is that our defensive depth is pretty outmatched by Boston's. Kostka and Fraser showed great weakness after being pressured and grinding out for long shifts.

I liked our speed and determination early on in the game but like Carlyle said, we just broke down. The Leafs stopped skating for whatever reason, maybe letting that first goal get to their heads. This is a young and inexperienced team that needs to learn just what level they need to be at during the playoffs and especially against teams like the Bruins.

The Leafs need to keep their speed at an all time high if they want any success against the Bruins. I'm impatiently waiting to see the lineup changes if any that Carlyle might make for the next game.
Again, the first goal against and they looked like they gave up. I've said already in another thread that they seem to be only willing to play if they can win with a shutout!

The wheels fell of in the Montreal game too when the Habs scored to tie the game. Are our Leafs too fragile mentally?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
GilmourClarkScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post

guys like Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles and probably a few others wont be

with this team nest year

Yes he had an awful game last night but he was one of the main reasons we had success this season. There is no chance in hell he is gone next season.

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Funny I thought it took 4 losses to be 'out of it'
As if the leafs could come back from being 3 games down.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
William Hylander
There can be only 1

vCash: 431
I still beleaf.

William Hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

Leafs will come out in game 2 like gangbusters. This is their game to win.
RC gave lots of guys a 2nd chance in the 'new season'
Kostka Frattin, Grabovski with Lupul.
Didnt work - now a more serious lineup card gets put out.

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
I doubt this team would even make the playoffs in a 82 game season.The good news,Luongo would make no difference.I dont think I ever seen such a one sided playoff game before.Unless Reimer gets a shut out,we won't win a single game.No offense,looked scrambly and played the whole game in our own end.Looks like we need much more than a star center.
Sorry Phaneuf fans, but, I think we need at least 1, and maybe 2 top 2 D. Phaneuf would be a great 2a D. Phaneuf is way overpaid for what he brings too! Ask yourselves this: Is Phaneuf as good as Chara?

Also, I think we are a couple of top 6 forwards short as well. We have plenty of bottom 6 forwards in the system.

Nonis still has a lot of work to do to transform our Leafs into true Stanley Cup contenders IMHO.