HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colten Teubert

Old
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
McShogun99

vCash: 500
Colten Teubert

I was really excited when the Oiler's obtained Teubert from the Kings. I thought that maybe he couldn't crack the Kings lineup due to there defensive depth. Now it's starting to look like we'll be lucky if he even turns into a 3rd pairing defenceman. He is a current 1st overall pick in the WHL Bantam draft and was drafted 13th overall in a very deep 2008 NHL entry draft. Every defenceman, minus Tyler Cuma, drafted in the first round of 2008 is already a star defenceman, or on their way. I haven't watched much OKC games this season but what is the scouting report on Teubert? Does he even have a chance at becoming an NHL regular? He has the size and the pedigree, just wondering what he's missing.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Turrican*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I was really excited when the Oiler's obtained Teubert from the Kings. I thought that maybe he couldn't crack the Kings lineup due to there defensive depth. Now it's starting to look like we'll be lucky if he even turns into a 3rd pairing defenceman. He is a current 1st overall pick in the WHL Bantam draft and was drafted 13th overall in a very deep 2008 NHL entry draft. Every defenceman, minus Tyler Cuma, drafted in the first round of 2008 is already a star defenceman, or on their way. I haven't watched much OKC games this season but what is the scouting report on Teubert? Does he even have a chance at becoming an NHL regular? He has the size and the pedigree, just wondering what he's missing.
A brain.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
heart and effort and nastiness

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
mobility I think...
The guy has plenty nastiness.

Draiskull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
heart and effort and nastiness
This is such a bizarro post. Those are literally the only things the kid has going for him. It's everything else that's missing, (especially hockey IQ and mobility).

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
This is such a bizarro post. Those are literally the only things the kid has going for him. It's everything else that's missing, (especially hockey IQ and mobility).
It seems like he may be another example of a guy with just such great tools that he could dominate in Juniors, but didn't have the hockey sense/smarts to take those tools to the NHL.

I see him as a career tweener or a guy that goes to Europe.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I wasn't. Everything you could read on line about his progression from the draft was negative. Tambellini and the Oilers Amateur scouts way over valued his upside; but at least they pulled Klefbom out of the draft with that pick that came along with Teubert. Hopefully Klefbom can live up to the same hype we heard when Lander came over .

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

He's missing hockey IQ and mobility.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Nuts, Teubert and Barker would make a fine pairing!

Old
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It seems like he may be another example of a guy with just such great tools that he could dominate in Juniors, but didn't have the hockey sense/smarts to take those tools to the NHL.

I see him as a career tweener or a guy that goes to Europe.
Indeed.

I think he'll get there, but it might take having to go to Europe.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I wasn't. Everything you could read on line about his progression from the draft was negative. Tambellini and the Oilers Amateur scouts way over valued his upside; but at least they pulled Klefbom out of the draft with that pick that came along with Teubert. Hopefully Klefbom can live up to the same hype we heard when Lander came over .
You probably wanted Forbort really bad, because he's...um...ripping things up?

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Hockey Nightmare

I just don't think he was good enough of a return. I heard he wasn't exactly lights out in the minors when we got him. Was he the best we could really get for Penner?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I don't think this is true. I remember Tambellini saying at the time that they see Teubert's upside as a bottom pairing d-man. Teubert has, of course, never lived up to his draft position. But it was KIngs' mistake, not OIlers. I doubt they could get a better prospect in a deal for Penner that already included a 1st round pick.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Beerfish

He was about #5 or 6 on LA's dman prospect list and the oilers foolishly grabbed him. It would have been like us trading plante a year or so ago.

For the Oilers 'schooling' the Kings on that deal we sure have a big fat zero to show for it at this point in time.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He was about #5 or 6 on LA's dman prospect list and the oilers foolishly grabbed him. It would have been like us trading plante a year or so ago.

For the Oilers 'schooling' the Kings on that deal we sure have a big fat zero to show for it at this point in time.
You mean other than Klefbom, a blue chip prospect, right?

Wasn't Penner a HS for the Kings again this year?

Not saying we won that deal (since Klef hasn't played a single game), but to say we have a "zero" at this point is just plain wrong. If Tambellini had called LA earlier this year offering Klembom for Penner straight up, LA would have done it in a heartbeat.

We'll see how Klefbom turns out before making a final decision, though.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Nuts, Teubert and Barker would make a fine pairing!
I think they actually did, once or twice, in the last handful of games last year.

Last edited by NAF: 05-02-2013 at 12:41 PM.
NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
You mean other than Klefbom, a blue chip prospect, right?

Wasn't Penner a HS for the Kings again this year?

Not saying we won that deal (since Klef hasn't played a single game), but to say we have a "zero" at this point is just plain wrong. If Tambellini had called LA earlier this year offering Klembom for Penner straight up, LA would have done it in a heartbeat.

We'll see how Klefbom turns out before making a final decision, though.
How many games has Klefbom played? How many games has Teubert played? How many cups has La won? How many games has Penner played? As for saying, don't make a final decision before we see how klefbom turns out. No problemo, tell that to 85% of this forum who anointed the Oilers as big winners the moment we drafted Klefbom.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Honestly, I think it's time to cut ties. He's an RFA this year and I don't think it would be a great loss to forego giving him a qualifying offer.

I know, he's 23 years old and defenseman develop slower, but mobility and hockey sense are some of the toughest things to develop and he's shown no signs of developing either as a prospect to date.

He hasn't been particularly good in OKC either. They're probably better off with an AHL veteran in his place.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Honestly, I think it's time to cut ties. He's an RFA this year and I don't think it would be a great loss to forego giving him a qualifying offer.

I know, he's 23 years old and defenseman develop slower, but mobility and hockey sense are some of the toughest things to develop and he's shown no signs of developing either as a prospect to date.

He hasn't been particularly good in OKC either. They're probably better off with an AHL veteran in his place.
I think he will get a 1 year contract, but I tend to agree with you. With Klefbom and Musil most likely on the way to OKC next year, I would rather the ice-time to go to those guys and Marincin. Teubert might still have an NHL future in store for him, but it probably won't be until he's 26-27.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:13 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
How many games has Klefbom played? How many games has Teubert played? How many cups has La won? How many games has Penner played? As for saying, don't make a final decision before we see how klefbom turns out. No problemo, tell that to 85% of this forum who anointed the Oilers as big winners the moment we drafted Klefbom.
I can't award a winner yet until I get to see Klefbom, I think it will be as soon as next season we will be able to judge. But even so we will have to give a few seasons. Teubert, I agree, its looking like a bust for him. But if Klefbom turns into Borje Salming JR, then it is a win. Maybe I'm part of the 15%.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You probably wanted Forbort really bad, because he's...um...ripping things up?
Well, I think we all know what Jimmi is about with comments like that. But if you are sincerely interested, I as hoping for Voynov.

When are you going to put me on ignore Jimmi?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
I think they actually did, once or twice, in the last handful of games last year.

Seriously? Thankfully I missed those games.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Where do some of you get the idea that mobility is his biggest issue? Mobility has never been a big problem for him, he moves pretty decently for a big guy.
His problem is that he's dumb as rocks, has no hockey sense whatsoever. All the physical gifts are there though and he plays hard, it's between the ears that's the problem. He is positionally horrible and is awful with the puck, just doesn't make the smart plays.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Arpeggio

I think he'll break into the league in 2-3 years.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Where do some of you get the idea that mobility is his biggest issue? Mobility has never been a big problem for him, he moves pretty decently for a big guy.
His problem is that he's dumb as rocks, has no hockey sense whatsoever. All the physical gifts are there though and he plays hard, it's between the ears that's the problem. He is positionally horrible and is awful with the puck, just doesn't make the smart plays.
He's a decent skater in a straight line.

I think he really lacks in his first-step and lateral mobility though.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote