HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Thoughts on preemptive hits (a la Letang on Tavares)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
  #1
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Thoughts on preemptive hits (a la Letang on Tavares)

The hit they're showing on the NHL website right now is what I'm looking to discuss. When I was younger I had a player do pretty much the same thing to me about 10 feet away from the puck and ended up getting injured. Chest muscles between the pecks felt all tight for years later. Doctor described it as instead of it being like an elastic it was more like duct tape.

Anyways, bringing up my personal experience here because I really don't like these type of hits because they're away from the puck and often catch people off guard like Letang's hit on Tavares. I believe people have a right to protect themselves on the play, but there's a line that seems to get crossed when you do this away from the puck.

Dustin Brown's recent suspension came about because he tried to do the same thing and ended up elbowing that poor guy in the face instead of absorbing the hit after playing the puck.

I'm hoping people can at least understand my point and not ridicule it. I'm not a Pittsburgh hater, in fact since you picked up Iggy I've been following the games and really come to liking the team.

So anyways, ignoring everything else like what team someone plays for and who's doing the hitting/receiving do people think that it tends to be a bit dangerous or do you see it as being perfectly fine? To me it's a hit on an unsuspecting player away from the puck and should be discouraged in all levels of hockey.

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
  #2
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Both are going for the puck, so how is Tavares unsuspecting? If you don't want to get hit back when you're going to hit someone...don't play the game. As long as I've been playing hockey, defensemen have hit back when a forward was coming down on them. It was a solid, clean hit. Shoulder tucked, right in the chest, never made contact with the head.

JTG is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
  #3
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
Yeah it's not away from the puck if they are both going for it. I suppose an argument could be made that Letang initiated contact too soon and thus it's interference, but that would be a ticky tacky call. It's two guys going in to battle for the puck. If Letang doesn't initiate contact, he's likely getting leveled into the boards. Tavares had to know contact was coming so if he's unsuspecting, it's his own fault. Good hockey play. Welcome to the playoffs Johnny.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:13 AM
  #4
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Both are going for the puck, so how is Tavares unsuspecting? If you don't want to get hit back when you're going to hit someone...don't play the game. As long as I've been playing hockey, defensemen have hit back when a forward was coming down on them. It was a solid, clean hit. Shoulder tucked, right in the chest, never made contact with the head.
Both are going for the puck, but Letang is nowhere near it when he stops and checks Tavares. It's unsuspecting because Letang doesn't even attempt to play the puck and instead stops up to check JT at the goal line. Do you really think if Tavares was expecting a check he would have landed on his ass that easily?

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
  #5
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,248
vCash: 500
Letang had already got Tavares pretty good earlier in the shift so it was pretty clear to me that Tavares was going to try and get him back but Letang got his hit in first.

wej20 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
  #6
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Both are going for the puck, but Letang is nowhere near it when he stops and checks Tavares. It's unsuspecting because Letang doesn't even attempt to play the puck and instead stops up to check JT at the goal line. Do you really think if Tavares was expecting a check he would have landed on his ass that easily?
They were right next to the puck. And if Tavares wasn't expecting a hit, that's his fault. You're going to hit a guy who is going for the puck. He's going to hit you back.

JTG is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:16 AM
  #7
Bones45
Registered User
 
Bones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Low Taxville
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
as an Isles fan -- I have no problem with the play.

Bones45 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:17 AM
  #8
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
They were right next to the puck. And if Tavares wasn't expecting a hit, that's his fault. You're going to hit a guy who is going for the puck. He's going to hit you back.
Yeah exactly, you expect the hit, but not that soon. The puck wasn't even within Letang's reach when he nailed him. It bounced to him afterwards though.

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:18 AM
  #9
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Both are going for the puck, but Letang is nowhere near it when he stops and checks Tavares. It's unsuspecting because Letang doesn't even attempt to play the puck and instead stops up to check JT at the goal line. Do you really think if Tavares was expecting a check he would have landed on his ass that easily?
What do you define as "nowhere near it"? He was like 2 feet from it before he stopped up to collide with Tavares. Again, if Tavares wasn't expecting contact, then that's his fault. And yeah, Letang is a strong ass dude, so I'm not surprised Tavares went flying.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:18 AM
  #10
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,107
vCash: 50

Crafton is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:18 AM
  #11
goal1228
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
The hit they're showing on the NHL website right now is what I'm looking to discuss. When I was younger I had a player do pretty much the same thing to me about 10 feet away from the puck and ended up getting injured. Chest muscles between the pecks felt all tight for years later. Doctor described it as instead of it being like an elastic it was more like duct tape.

Anyways, bringing up my personal experience here because I really don't like these type of hits because they're away from the puck and often catch people off guard like Letang's hit on Tavares. I believe people have a right to protect themselves on the play, but there's a line that seems to get crossed when you do this away from the puck.

Dustin Brown's recent suspension came about because he tried to do the same thing and ended up elbowing that poor guy in the face instead of absorbing the hit after playing the puck.

I'm hoping people can at least understand my point and not ridicule it. I'm not a Pittsburgh hater, in fact since you picked up Iggy I've been following the games and really come to liking the team.

So anyways, ignoring everything else like what team someone plays for and who's doing the hitting/receiving do people think that it tends to be a bit dangerous or do you see it as being perfectly fine? To me it's a hit on an unsuspecting player away from the puck and should be discouraged in all levels of hockey.


Islander fan here . It was clean, a player has to be responsible for himself. I think Del zotto did the same thing to Neal during the season.

goal1228 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
  #12
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Yeah exactly, you expect the hit, but not that soon. The puck wasn't even within Letang's reach when he nailed him. It bounced to him afterwards though.
if memory serves, it was a very similar (in style, not in result) to the one that put Neal out with a concussion. The only thing questionable about that hit was the fact that an elbow hit Neal in the middle of the face.

So, just philosophically speaking, I don't think you'll find many Penguins fans having sympathy for Tavares or thinking it was a questionable hit.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
  #13
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Yeah exactly, you expect the hit, but not that soon. The puck wasn't even within Letang's reach when he nailed him. It bounced to him afterwards though.
You are making a big deal out of nothing. What is the result you were looking for on the play? Do you think it's a serious offense that warrants supplementary discipline?

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
  #14
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Yeah exactly, you expect the hit, but not that soon. The puck wasn't even within Letang's reach when he nailed him. It bounced to him afterwards though.
The hilarity of this whole thing is when you watch the gif that was posted, it goes completely against everything you were saying. Letang stopped. Tavares was ready for the hit to the point he actually had his arms up and ready. Both initiated contact, JT got the worst of it. You're being sensitive.

JTG is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:23 AM
  #15
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
if memory serves, it was a very similar (in style, not in result) to the one that put Neal out with a concussion. The only thing questionable about that hit was the fact that an elbow hit Neal in the middle of the face.

So, just philosophically speaking, I don't think you'll find many Penguins fans having sympathy for Tavares or thinking it was a questionable hit.
I was hoping to just use it as an example of the type of hit and not the entire basis of whether people think THAT particular instance was fine or not. However, most of the people in here are only commentating on the Letang vs JT hit which doesn't really reply to the true intent of this thread. Does this type of hit potentially lead to injury? Yes, no and why?

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
  #16
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Not to mention he was hooking/slashing Letang at the same time. Coincidental minors during the reg season, during the playoffs, no chance.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:25 AM
  #17
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Looked like a clear case of interference to me.

Whatever though. NHL officiating is embarrassing in general.

WVP is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
  #18
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The hilarity of this whole thing is when you watch the gif that was posted, it goes completely against everything you were saying. Letang stopped. Tavares was ready for the hit to the point he actually had his arms up and ready. Both initiated contact, JT got the worst of it. You're being sensitive.
He shifted his weight to stop and Tavares recognized this and braced himself for contact realizing this. I really wish people here actually understood the point to this thread and stopped defending Letang like I think he deserves some kind of suspension, because I never said that.

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
  #19
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
IMO that's 2 for interference but a good no call

Le Magnifique 66 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
  #20
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Looked like a clear case of interference to me.

Whatever though. NHL officiating is embarrassing in general.
Yeah I would say it's interference as well.

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
  #21
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
He shifted his weight to stop and Tavares recognized this and braced himself for contact realizing this. I really wish people here actually understood the point to this thread and stopped defending Letang like I think he deserves some kind of suspension, because I never said that.
Okay and that's fine but can you please explain what is the point of this thread. I am definitely confused.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
  #22
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Not to mention he was hooking/slashing Letang at the same time. Coincidental minors during the reg season, during the playoffs, no chance.
Players use their sticks to try and guide opposing players away from the open ice in order to try and get better positioning to throw a check or take away the puck. He wasn't slashing him so much as trying to lead him closer to the boards where he could hit him. "Steering" the player so to speak.

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
  #23
heretik27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
I was hoping to just use it as an example of the type of hit and not the entire basis of whether people think THAT particular instance was fine or not. However, most of the people in here are only commentating on the Letang vs JT hit which doesn't really reply to the true intent of this thread. Does this type of hit potentially lead to injury? Yes, no and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Okay and that's fine but can you please explain what is the point of this thread. I am definitely confused.
Here I bolded it for you.

heretik27 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
  #24
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretik27 View Post
Players use their sticks to try and guide opposing players away from the open ice in order to try and get better positioning to throw a check or take away the puck. He wasn't slashing him so much as trying to lead him closer to the boards where he could hit him. "Steering" the player so to speak.
Steering? So wouldn't that be hooking?

plaidchuck is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
  #25
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Looked like a clear case of interference to me.

Whatever though. NHL officiating is embarrassing in general.
I think it's borderline. I wouldn't have complained too much if he was called for interference, but I like that it wasn't called. It's 2 guys going back for the puck in a battle. Letang is first and uses body position to keep Tavares from the puck. If he retrieves the puck first, then he puts himself in a vulnerable position to get crushed. I want a game that allows 2 guys to initiate contact before they get the puck in a battle like that.


Last edited by Shady Machine: 05-02-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Shady Machine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.