HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What The Hell Happened To...The Colorado Avalanche?

Old
05-02-2013, 09:52 AM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Watching them from quit some distance, I've always felt like they had a natrual tough period after some tremendous years, and that they've for a long time took the right decisions and slowely built up a team.

But, I've definitely missed the dot over the i so to speak lately. They have Johnson. They have Duchene. They have Landeskog. They are not Sid or Malkin, but they also have a ton of cap space.

If they made a big splash on the UFA market and went out of and got like the top 2 players available, they would be really interesting. But to my suprise, they never even seem to be in the mix. Maybe it will come? Whats the talk in Colorado anyway?

Yeah, I think a firesale would be moronic too. I mean, they have the cap space to add alot of pieces, and they already have several core pieces.
*shrug* the Avs had signed a first line Winger (Parenteau) and a top 4 Dman (Hejda), and bid for Suter. It's not as easy as just trying in FA, cause the Avs have, there just aren't many top pairing dmen who hit fa and when they do the avs need them to not already know where they're going to sign.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouBasedGod View Post
I live in Saskatoon and have seen Siemens play over 50 times the last two years. He is looking more like a bust than a potential top four defencemen.
I'll say this one time and one time only....hes 19 freakin yrs old.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I'll say this one time and one time only....hes 19 freakin yrs old.
Yeah, and he's not even playing in the big time. What a bust.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Yeah, and he's not even playing in the big time. What a bust.
Sux, cuz he's clearly in his prime.

05-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

So because Avs didn't manage to keep Fleischmann (who had season ending blod clots in his lungs when practicing in Denver) and didn't want to keep Peter Mueller (who played 47 games in two and a half seasons as an Av) they have to have, and I quote because otherwise people would think I make **** up, "a serious firesale in the off-season to rebuild from scratch".

Jesus.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
So because Avs didn't manage to keep Fleischmann (who had season ending blod clots in his lungs when practicing in Denver) and didn't want to keep Peter Mueller (who played 47 games in two and a half seasons as an Av) they have to have, and I quote because otherwise people would think I make **** up, "a serious firesale in the off-season to rebuild from scratch".

Jesus.
Did we trade away or acquire that guy?

Bubba Thudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Did we trade away or acquire that guy?
Waived. Only room for one savior.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Reality Check

Colorado magically jumped ahead of Florida and was able to land the hometown hero.

At least when the NBA occasionally rigs it's lottery, they'll put some type of suspense in it.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by letowskie View Post
Some of these do play into it quite a bit. I remember a few years ago where they had an almost miracle run lead by Statsny that almost went from dead last to knocking the Flames out of a playoff spot. I thought for sure that they are a team on the rise. But so far there has been zero to no results since then.

The wierd thing is that their entire organization has this wierd obsession (and also a good part of their fan-base) of getting as many quality centers as possible, at the detriment of basically every other position. Now they are still very strong down the middle, but have to call players like Jones a top winger. Their D is especially neglected, with the only significant thing done to bolster in the last few years being the Johnson trade, which turned out to be somewhat of a flop (at least not what they hoped). Not really sure where they go from here except a serious firesale in the off-season to rebuild from scratch.
Ok...

That "miracle run" was six seasons ago. The only person still on the team from then is Stastny. We've been through two coaches since and will have a new one for next season. So, irrelevant.

I would like to know how you would go about doing the bolded part. Roughly.

Ed - and for fun, drafts since 2007 by position

C - 14
LW - 3
RW - 2
D - 14
G - 7

So yeah, completely obsessed with drafting centres. And in any case it's not like there's ever been a centre who gets drafted and ends up playing wing.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013

Last edited by Ceremony: 05-02-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
acor

Quote:
So the Nordiques didn't amount to anything?
Nordiques didn't amount anything, except losing their team.

Being bad doesn't mean you "are rebuilding". It means you are bad. Only "rebuild" that may help you is rebuild of front office.

****, I've read here that even Blackhawks 98-08 Era was "rebuild"...10 years rebuild...Yeah, right...

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

Jesus.

Funny how both of those guys ended up on the only team to finish below the Avs. hmmm

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Sux, cuz he's clearly in his prime.
Yeah, I mean he has been playing the game for years, how much better can he really get? The guy couldn't even play in the AHL this year, he's that bad.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Yeah, I mean he has been playing the game for years, how much better can he really get? The guy couldn't even play in the AHL this year, he's that bad.
He played 3 games in the AHL the previous year. Clearly he couldn't hack it.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote