HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Case For Keeping Ville Leino

Old
05-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Jacob582

vCash: 500
As I stated before, I think he stays. You have another buyout next year.

The reason they might buy him out this summer would be because they want the roster space for someone else:

1. Prospect/young player?
2. UFA market - doesn't look good, but Regier stated they have players they are interested in.
3. Players coming back in trade for Vanek, Miller, Stafford ?
4. A bunch of "good" players we don't even know about will become UFA this summer through the amnesty buyouts. Teams will need to get under the salary cap.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Any chance you have to unload contracts of older players you do it. There is no future for Leino in Buffalo. He is not a leader that can groom younger players like Ott is. Move on. Fill the spot with someone young.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Prishpreed
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Any chance you have to unload contracts of older players you do it. There is no future for Leino in Buffalo. He is not a leader that can groom younger players like Ott is. Move on. Fill the spot with someone young.
You speak as though he's tradeable...am I missing something? Or are you suggesting he be bought out?

Prishpreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

You keep him because he will aid in the suffering....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:58 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Any chance Regier is thinking of keeping him just to have the Finland connection with Armia?

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prishpreed View Post
You speak as though he's tradeable...am I missing something? Or are you suggesting he be bought out?
Im not really sure how the new trade system works where you can keep up to 50% of the salary, something like that. But if we are in a true rebuild, why not try and trade Leino using that new system.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:41 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Any chance Regier is thinking of keeping him just to have the Finland connection with Armia?
I dont know if Leino is the type of veteran voice you want in the room, but maybe Im incorrect here. He just doesnt come across as someone I want teaching young players.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I dont know if Leino is the type of veteran voice you want in the room, but maybe Im incorrect here. He just doesnt come across as someone I want teaching young players.
Hasn't he said stuff about the accountability/mentality of this team being weak **** in past interviews? Besides that, he might be our most skilled winger after Vanek. And I'm cringing hard at the idea of watching our young centers struggle to create offense without some veterans to help them out on the wings.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Hasn't he said stuff about the accountability/mentality of this team being weak **** in past interviews? Besides that, he might be our most skilled winger after Vanek. And I'm cringing hard at the idea of watching our young centers struggle to create offense without some veterans to help them out on the wings.
Leino says a lot of things.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Just wondering. Are you saying this is a positive or a negative?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
joshjull

Is there a specific offseason window (dates) when these compliance buyouts can take place? I ask because buying Leino out may not be an option this summer if he is recovering from hip surgery. So the case for him to stay is he has to.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Djp

Leino is a 2014 compliance buy out candidate.

Other option they eat $2.5M of his cap hit and trade himas a $2M per yr player for 3 years---enough teams would bite to get something of use from him.

Other issue---if they trade Vanek and Miller--then cut Leino---they could be below the cap floor after other moves were made (like trading stafford)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Is there a specific offseason window (dates) when these compliance buyouts can take place? I ask because buying Leino out may not be an option this summer if he is recovering from hip surgery. So the case for him to stay is he has to.
what I have read is that there are 2 windows....a few week period prior to UFA start date in June/July and in september after arbitration hearings.

You cant do this on an injured player....If they tried to buy him out now there will be questions on his health which is why waiting till 2014 to decide makes sense.

What i can't find---what are the rules on who can be a complaince buy out. I know they have to exceeed a certain slary to be a buy out....like $2.75M/yr.

What is unclear---if you make a trade and as part of the deal you take a high cap hit on a palyer...how long do you have to keep them before they are eligible to become a cap buy out. This is the hinge on many proposed deals such as a Luongo trade where Vancouvers trades him to team X along with a 1st + quality propect+ cash for a 4th...then team X buys him out and Vancouver then resigns him a a reasonable contract.

Last edited by Djp: 05-02-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Jacob582

It will be interesting to see who gets bought out around the league. Who becomes a UFA?

Who will Regier trade with for a player that needs to get bought out in order to acquire additional assets?

This could be a budget team (hello Dipietro) or a team who needs to amnesty more than 2 players to fit under the cap.

NY R and Montreal have already used one of their two buyouts.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
I'm not drunk. Okay, maybe a touch but I think there's some merit for keeping him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The case:
What else do we need the cap space for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
If they trade Vanek and/or Miller there's no reason not to keep him. Even if they don't, this team isn't hurting for cap space and probably won't be for awhile.
No? If more talented and impact veterans like Vanek and Miller - with better work ethics - are sacrificial in a rebuild, what would be the reason to keep an underachieving veteran like Leino? Just because they can afford his cap hit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I think he stays.
Probably - but not because it's the Sabres first choice. They're stuck with him.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
If I'm not mistaken an injured player cant be bought out. Darcy was pretty evasive when asked about buying Leino out. He said he is having a procedure done on his hip but will be 100% by the start of next season. Lots to read between the lines but I suspect he stays an dbecomes a useful product on this team.
You can buy him out next summer, if you want.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
You can buy him out next summer, if you want.
I thought they could also do it this summer.....

Old
05-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Hal2000

Quote:
Just wondering. Are you saying this is a positive or a negative?
i am guessing she think its a positive. Anyways i think leino was prob the best forwards during his short return from injury

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
He's having surgery so that means you can't buy him out as he's considered injured. That's the reason why the Rangers and Canadiens asked Gomez and Redden to wrap themselves in bubble wrap and sit on their couches instead of coming to training camp. That is until the NHL allowed the extra buyout so those players' careers wouldn't be unduly impacted, though I'd be happy to sit on the couch eating chips for 8mil per season.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Superhero

Lieno is small, soft, he's not a leader, he doesn't play the penalty kill, he has only once scored over 8 goals in a season. Paying him $4.5 million per season is a very very very bad thing to do.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Lieno is small, soft, he's not a leader, he doesn't play the penalty kill, he has only once scored over 8 goals in a season. Paying him $4.5 million per season is a very very very bad thing to do.

Leino has had two bad seasons; he's due for a good season.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:25 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
I don't disagree with the overall sentiment but ....

Leino is 6" 1" ... He's not small

There a plenty of players who don't PK. Are they bad too because of it? In other words, of all the reasons to slam Leino, this is the weakest one.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
No? If more talented and impact veterans like Vanek and Miller - with better work ethics - are sacrificial in a rebuild, what would be the reason to keep an underachieving veteran like Leino? Just because they can afford his cap hit?

If Leino could command the return that Vanek or Miller potentially do... you bet your button he'd be shipped out along with them.

Keeping him has virtually no risk (best case scenario, he plays really well... worst case scenario, he doesn't play at all) and losing him offers nothing to a rebuild other than an open roster space that may or may not have anyone to fill it. Unlike Vanek and Miller, who would likely bring us solid draft picks and prospects. We'd be keeping him mostly as a valueless warm body that has the potential to contribute in a time where our young guys are developing and figuring things out.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
They can, but why not wait until next year? Give him a chance to play a full year healthy under a different coach, and not to mention, you'll have to reach the cap floor-especially if they trade Miller and/or Vanek.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
I'd rather they just keep Numminen as an assistant coach - given the hero status he has in Finland, I suspect Armia probably grew up looking up to (and learn more from) Teppo more than he would to an underachiever like Leino.

Quote:
Before long, he'll have Foligno complaining about being forced to play center and Ennis being forced to play wing....

Quote:
Besides that, he might be our most skilled winger after Vanek.
That isn't saying much, considering that Stafford, Kaleta, Gerbe, Foligno and Scott are the only other choices.

Quote:
Leino has had two bad seasons; he's due for a good season.
I see you found some of the Kool-Aid that Regier has been guzzling for years!