HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poti deserves a bit of credit at both ends of the rink for last night

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 04:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Poti deserves a bit of credit at both ends of the rink for last night

I'm no Poti glorifier, and if he's traded today I wouldn't be sad to see him go, but I have to give credit to him on the game winning goal as it was his efforts at BOTH ends of the ice that made the play possible.

His poke check of the Coyote crossing the blueline created the loose puck that Messier was able to corall and send a nice saucer pass to Rucinsky who made a nice pass to the streaking Poti.

The fact that Poti was in that position, to me, was pretty impressive in that it was he who was in position to stop the on coming Phoenix rush and then be in position to finish off the Rangers rush.

Additionally, I think that someone mentioned that it was Poti's error that allowed Hrdina to score his goal? That was a Leetch blunder by going down on the fake shot while Jan was left alone down the RW boards, Poti was on the other side of the ice manning his position.

BTW, that was a bad goal by Dunny, his angle was way off, when he backed up, the left post was pretty much between his skates which means he was cheating to far to the left and Hardina made him pay.

Also, as much as I bash Messier, something telling is that he still has the eye hand coordination, usually when you get older the eyes go first don't they?? lol

Anyway, that was a great goal as he batted the puck out of the air, about a foot off the ground.

Old
12-30-2003, 05:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
I'm no Poti glorifier, and if he's traded today I wouldn't be sad to see him go, but I have to give credit to him on the game winning goal as it was his efforts at BOTH ends of the ice that made the play possible.

His poke check of the Coyote crossing the blueline created the loose puck that Messier was able to corall and send a nice saucer pass to Rucinsky who made a nice pass to the streaking Poti.

The fact that Poti was in that position, to me, was pretty impressive in that it was he who was in position to stop the on coming Phoenix rush and then be in position to finish off the Rangers rush.

Additionally, I think that someone mentioned that it was Poti's error that allowed Hrdina to score his goal? That was a Leetch blunder by going down on the fake shot while Jan was left alone down the RW boards, Poti was on the other side of the ice manning his position.

BTW, that was a bad goal by Dunny, his angle was way off, when he backed up, the left post was pretty much between his skates which means he was cheating to far to the left and Hardina made him pay.

Also, as much as I bash Messier, something telling is that he still has the eye hand coordination, usually when you get older the eyes go first don't they?? lol

Anyway, that was a great goal as he batted the puck out of the air, about a foot off the ground.
Yes and no, IMO.

Yeah be made a nice poke check (because he doesn't do much else) but if he missed with the check, he would have been in a bad situation and the forward would have had a pretty good path to the net. And I just can't give him credit for being in position. The guy is an NHL defenseman that's what he is supposed to do. ]

And Messier scores goals because he is just smarter than everyone else out there. He has scored the majority of his goals from around the net. He is in position for the puck to come to him. And he finishes his chances (quite a concept right Kovy?)

12-30-2003, 06:06 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Yes and no, IMO.

Yeah be made a nice poke check (because he doesn't do much else) but if he missed with the check, he would have been in a bad situation and the forward would have had a pretty good path to the net. And I just can't give him credit for being in position. The guy is an NHL defenseman that's what he is supposed to do. ]

And Messier scores goals because he is just smarter than everyone else out there. He has scored the majority of his goals from around the net. He is in position for the puck to come to him. And he finishes his chances (quite a concept right Kovy?)

Somewhat disagree, Poti, while I do so hate the poke check, was skating backwards and would have remaind in position. The likelyhood that he would have been muscled out of the way is a given, but that swinging purse did it's job last night.

As for Mess I do agree, but taking into consideration that the puck was in the air and it was a bang bang type of play shows the eye-hand thing as well as the quickness in the hands and mind.

for at least 1 night, both have earned a respite from my personal disdain for both players.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Somewhat disagree, Poti, while I do so hate the poke check, was skating backwards and would have remaind in position. The likelyhood that he would have been muscled out of the way is a given, but that swinging purse did it's job last night.

As for Mess I do agree, but taking into consideration that the puck was in the air and it was a bang bang type of play shows the eye-hand thing as well as the quickness in the hands and mind.

for at least 1 night, both have earned a respite from my personal disdain for both players.
I didn't mean to discount the play that Mess made. Rather I was just adding that it is his intelligence that puts him in position to convert those chances.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:27 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I just don't like the Poti Leetch combination in the defensive zone.

Assuming Sather isn't going to use Bouchard or Dale unless there's an injury, and assuming he's keeping Tjutin in Hartford,
are there any pairs you guys and gals think might be more effective?

I like Kaspar-deVries. Do you suppose Leetch -Mironov and Malakhov-Poti would be an improvement?

Old
12-30-2003, 06:36 AM
Barnaby

I think Poti is 15-20 years too young. I think he woulda been awesome in the earlier days of open hockey. Nowadays he's just too weak defensively. He could be very useful if we had a very good stay-at-home d-man, but we really dont have that top guy. We havent had that since Beuk left and this organization hasnt done much to correct it. Put a guy like Hatcher next to Poti and I really belive Poti could be very good. Next to Leetch, Kaspar, and even DeVries he's just too much of a liability.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:37 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor

Assuming Sather isn't going to use Bouchard or Dale unless there's an injury, and assuming he's keeping Tjutin in Hartford,

I like Kaspar-deVries. Do you suppose Leetch -Mironov and Malakhov-Poti would be an improvement?

Leetch and Foote or Leetch and Norstorm

would be my choices

but for what we have??

Other than either Kaspar or deVries I don't see a pairing I like.

Maladog and Krispy work well together as the 3rd pairing which means that either Leetch or Poti has to go.

I want to keep Leetch which means....

Old
12-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Davisian

Sorry, he's still on my list..

Sure, one of his poke checks worked, but I also think he would've been toasted if he missed..

Let's not forget that he missed the shot and it went off his shaft.. Sure it went in and I'm happy they won, but I'd roll up the newspaper and smack him on the snout if he tried to step out of the doghouse after one night of good breaks..

Old
12-30-2003, 06:41 AM
True Blue

Quote:

I don't think that there is a sane Rangers fan out there that likes Leetch and Poti being paired together. But you hit upon the problem. I have said from the beginning that Kasper needs to be treated almost like an offenseman. He needs a steady partner to be paired with. Remember last year, he was erratic until Cross paired with him. Kasper needs a steady, stay-at-home partner. De Vires is such a plalyer and by playing with Kasper, he need not be exposed by being played as a top pairing defenseman (something he clearly is not). So the marriage of Kasper and de Vries makes sense as it allows them to play their game and not be counted as a top pair.
After that is when we start to have problems. You just cannot make a sensible set of defensemen out of what is left. Leetch is a clear #1. However, Poti is NOT a sensible partner for him. And for whatever reason, Jackass is loathe to break up M&M. Maybe he thinks that there play would deteriorate even more if they were broker up. M&M CAN be a 3rd pairing. HOwever that leaves Poti as the only one who can partner with Leech. That is why, to me, Poti is like a fish out of water. Theoretically, he should be on a second pair with a de Vries type. But that is taken up with Kasper. And as I do not think that Sather is in a hurry to break up M&M, we may be stuck with the Leetch/Poti pairing for a while.
The best that can occur is that Poti gets traded for a comperably aged, stay-at-home defender that will become Leetch's partner and solidify the rest of the defensemen's roles.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:58 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Sorry, he's still on my list..

Sure, one of his poke checks worked, but I also think he would've been toasted if he missed..

Let's not forget that he missed the shot and it went off his shaft.. Sure it went in and I'm happy they won, but I'd roll up the newspaper and smack him on the snout if he tried to step out of the doghouse after one night of good breaks..

His left arm was hooked which forced him to flub the shot.

But he was backing up as he did the hokey pokey before turning himself around

and scored and that's what it's all about

I'm pathetic

Old
12-30-2003, 07:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

That pairing needs to be broken up. They sure as hell shouldn't be killing penalties together. M&M pairing has cooled off and seems to be on a downtrend. Seeing how they seem to feed off each other, I would break them up too. I have long said that Malakhov played his best as Ranger with Leetch (not saying much, I know):

Leetch-Malakhov
deVries-Kasparaitis
Poti-Mironov

Old
12-30-2003, 07:04 AM
nyr5186

Quote:

Malakhov played his best hockey as a Ranger when paired with Leetch a few years ago. I know he hasnt deserved top pairing minutes, but maybe moving Vlad back with Leetch would spark him up. With Mironov as his pair, Malakhov is expected to rush the puck up ice, something he just doesnt do very good anymore. I think if you put him with Leetch and asked him to stay at home, that pairing might work (again). Also, this puts Poti, an offensive defenseman, down to the 3rd pairing with Mironov, a defensive defenseman, which is the way it should be. That way, Poti wont be as much of a liability because he'll be playing against 3rd and 4th lines instead of the likes of Sundin and Thornton.

Leetch-Malakhov
deVries-Kaspar
Mironov-Poti

If Kaspar cant go tonight, just put Bouchard in his spot.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Poti's a good player, but get him in front of his own net and he's the most clueless player out there.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:56 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
And I just can't give him credit for being in position. The guy is an NHL defenseman that's what he is supposed to do.
Thats pretty stupid on 2 fronts. The way you put it, that means whenever Kovalev scores he doesnt deserve credit because thats his job. OR when Dunham makes a good save he doesnt deserve credit cause thats his job?

Secondly, most of you fail to even give a shred of credit to Poti. The things you fail to give him credit for cause thats his job, was he doing that stuff last year? No. So he has improved since last season but since everyone hates him already you cant even admit it.

Or was i seeing things when Poti was battling the likes of Zdeno Chara in front of our net?

I admit, he isnt very consistent but at least give him some credit for trying to improve.

Old
01-01-2004, 11:31 AM
barnaby63

No response?

Old
01-01-2004, 11:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
Thats pretty stupid on 2 fronts. The way you put it, that means whenever Kovalev scores he doesnt deserve credit because thats his job. OR when Dunham makes a good save he doesnt deserve credit cause thats his job?

Secondly, most of you fail to even give a shred of credit to Poti. The things you fail to give him credit for cause thats his job, was he doing that stuff last year? No. So he has improved since last season but since everyone hates him already you cant even admit it.

Or was i seeing things when Poti was battling the likes of Zdeno Chara in front of our net?

I admit, he isnt very consistent but at least give him some credit for trying to improve.

I'm supposed to respond to someone calling me stupid? OK Einstein, here it is:

I don't give people credit for merely doing their job. To give Poti credit for being in position when he rarely is is assinine. Poti creates more scoring chances for the opposing team than he does for the Rangers. And, if he did miss with that aforementioned pokecheck, he would have been toast. A real defenseman, stands up at the blueline and plays the body and the puck. Porcelain Poti got lucky. He did make a good play by joining the rush but he got lucky on the pokecheck and the shot.

I see no noticeable difference in Poti from last year other than the fact that he is not scoring as much.

Quite frankly, I'm bored of discussing this with you. You say that I'm blinded by my hatred of Poti, fine. You are blinded by your adoration for him. The truth is you go out of your way to find things to compiment him on. He deserves credit for being in position and making a routine play? Why? He is an NHL defenseman and is paid well to do his job. Maybe we are supposed to give him credit for doing his job because he doesn't do nearly often enough. Frankly I have not seen Poti do much of anything that compells me to compliment him on his play. He battled Chara? SO WHAT? THAT IS HIS JOB! And I fail to believe that you are actually going to try and trump Poti's physical play. Because that would be...well...stupid.

If you want to give people credit for doing what they are supposed to do, give me some credit for not robbing a bank.

Enough stupidity for you?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-01-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old
01-01-2004, 12:17 PM
barnaby63

That thinking is still stupid.

If Kovalev scores a hat-trick he doesnt deserve credit cause thats his job?

If Leetch makes a nice play in the defensive zone he doesnt deserve credit cause thats his job?

Yes, i think thats pretty idiotic. Then i guess i wont be seeing you praising anyone in anymore gamethreads then, right? I mean no one deserves credit no matter what they do. Its their job.

This goes right to the top of the list.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
That thinking is still stupid.

If Kovalev scores a hat-trick he doesnt deserve credit cause thats his job?

If Leetch makes a nice play in the defensive zone he doesnt deserve credit cause thats his job?

Yes, i think thats pretty idiotic. Then i guess i wont be seeing you praising anyone in anymore gamethreads then, right? I mean no one deserves credit no matter what they do. Its their job.

This goes right to the top of the list.
If Kovalev scores a hattrick, that is something that is extraordinary. Now, I know that Poti making a defensive play is extraordinary but it shouldn't be. And I did say that Poti made a good read by jumping up and being there to receive the pass from Rucinsky. But to praise someone for making a routine play is ridiculous. And you seem to overlook the fact that if he had miss with that poke check (which happend more often then Poti is in the right position) the Yotes player would have had a very good scoring opportunity. How convenient.

You seem to think that Poti deserves praise when he actually does something well when it never happens enough. Why? Why should we praise Poti for doing something that he should do? To compare that play to Kovalev scoring a hat trick is a huge reach. But if you feel that Poti deserves praise everytime he makes a decent defensive play (lucky or not) go right ahead.

I'm done with this. I'll give you the final word. And I'll stop being stupid because trying to argue this with you is just that.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:59 PM
barnaby63

I dont praise Poti every time he makes a good defensive play. I just try and show how he is improving from last year when he was bad in his own zone. Is he a defensive wiz? Far from it. But he isnt as bad as some of you make him out to be.

As for the hat-trick, doesnt that fall under the category of Kovalev's job? i mean, his job is to score goals isnt it? So why praise him when he scores 3?

Old
01-01-2004, 01:24 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
His left arm was hooked which forced him to flub the shot.

But he was backing up as he did the hokey pokey before turning himself around

and scored and that's what it's all about

I'm pathetic

I don't know how I missed your post.

Pathetic? NO!!!

Inspired, I'd say.

Closed Thread