HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Thread Pt. II (Del Zotto has surgery to repair sports hernia)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
  #26
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Most people who "hate" Boyle love him for what he should be used for- a fourth line center and PKer who could be bumped up in case of injury, Not a consistent top-9 winger who ruins all chemistry on whatever line he's on.
Shouldn't the hate be directed towards Torts then?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
  #27
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Give me a break. That is not why people dislike Boyle.

Boyle is not only useless in the offensive zone, but he also isn't physical (despite being 6'7) and I think is overrated defensively. He's a good PKer and can block shots, but I don't see any extreme defensive instincts (like a Stepan) or physical abilities that may be able to make up for lack of instincts (like a Hagelin) in Boyle. He's a soft, big guy that takes up space and can block shots. He's also good at FOs.

Most people who "hate" Boyle love him for what he should be used for- a fourth line center and PKer who could be bumped up in case of injury, Not a consistent top-9 winger who ruins all chemistry on whatever line he's on.
Was he not bumped up this year due to poor play and injuries?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
  #28
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Give me a break. That is not why people dislike Boyle.

Boyle is not only useless in the offensive zone, but he also isn't physical (despite being 6'7) and I think is overrated defensively. He's a good PKer and can block shots, but I don't see any extreme defensive instincts (like a Stepan) or physical abilities that may be able to make up for lack of instincts (like a Hagelin) in Boyle. He's a soft, big guy that takes up space and can block shots. He's also good at FOs.

Most people who "hate" Boyle love him for what he should be used for- a fourth line center and PKer who could be bumped up in case of injury, Not a consistent top-9 winger who ruins all chemistry on whatever line he's on.
Sums up my feelings about Boyle to a t. People here don't hate Powe and Asham. They don't put points up either. But they're on the fourth line where they belong.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
  #29
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Shouldn't the hate be directed towards Torts then?
They'll tell you that it is

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:10 PM
  #30
Shroomtastic71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC/CT
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Sums up my feelings about Boyle to a t. People here don't hate Powe and Asham. They don't put points up either. But they're on the fourth line where they belong.
So you should be angry at Torts, not Boyle. How does he have any control over what line he is put on?

Shroomtastic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:12 PM
  #31
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
I'm not saying its fair that people hate Boyle. Everyone who "hates him" will say they hate him being used where he's used on this team. Somehow that gets misconstrued into us wanting MOAR GOALZZZZZz

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
  #32
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Was he not bumped up this year due to poor play and injuries?
Poor play is subjective. He was moved up for a slumping Gaborik at times. Gaborik's poorest play is 100x better than Boyle's best. This is what frustrated us "MOAR GOALZ BOYLE HATERZ" to no end. This can be said for almost all of our "slumping players" as well.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
  #33
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomtastic71 View Post
So you should be angry at Torts, not Boyle. How does he have any control over what line he is put on?
He keeps secret pictures of Torts.

Yes, I should be mad at Torts, and I am. I guess it's just infuriating to see Boyle on the ice 5 minutes before the game ends when we're trailing. He will not provide any offense. I don't see him grinding very well without Prust either. Feds-Boyle-Prust was a beastly line though.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
  #34
SavedByLundqvist
Registered User
 
SavedByLundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jersey Represent!
Country: United States
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
I love Boyle just because of his performance on 24/7.

SavedByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
  #35
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Poor play is subjective. He was moved up for a slumping Gaborik at times. Gaborik's poorest play is 100x better than Boyle's best. This is what frustrated us "MOAR GOALZ BOYLE HATERZ" to no end. This can be said for almost all of our "slumping players" as well.
Completely disagree. Everyone has a role on the team and even a 3rd or 4th liner who may seem insignificant to most fans, is just as important in winning games as the skill guys are. Just because you are fast and have great puck skills and a dangerous shot doesnt necessarily make you a more important player.

Gaborik was complete garbage for a long stretch of the season. He wasnt doing a damn thing physically and therefore was killing the systems successfulness on a game to game basis.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
  #36
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trench23 View Post
i read this board daily/religiously, and don't post here often - but i felt this was necessary to comment on...
I can't beleive the hate for Boyle on this board. I am not a Boyle fan, but he gives 100%, and was playing well prior to the injury. I think the expectations were set too high when he potted his 16. Hes not an offensive player, never will be.
Hes a perfect 4th line guy, who can do a "good" job on the 3rd line. Better than Pyatt I beleive. Boyle adds more grit, speed, forechecking than Pyatt does - at least this season (I will give Pyatt the benefit of the doubt since its a new system in a shortened season).

I think most of this board just hears one person bash a guy for a stretch of games, and everyone plays pile on.
Prior to the injury, Boyle was providing physicality, grit and energy on a team that lacked it.

The terrible thing about Boyle actually isn't even Boyle's fault... It's the fact that Torts tends to rely on Boyle in situations that he is not suited for. That's it. That's the bottom line for me when I think about Brian Boyle. Brian Boyle as a 4th line Center and second unit PK'er? Perfect! I'm FINE with that. Heck, throw him on the first PK unit...

The second that Boyle is "juggled" up to the 3rd or 2nd line or *shudders* 2nd PK unit... is when I start to hate him. LOL and like I said it's not his fault. He's just NOT GOOD offensively. Not even along the boards where his size should help him on the forecheck and working the cycle. He's just TOO SLOW, has hardly any hockey-sense, and his shot doesn't make up for it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:21 PM
  #37
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Poor play is subjective. He was moved up for a slumping Gaborik at times. Gaborik's poorest play is 100x better than Boyle's best.
Really? You'd rather have Gaborik's play in the Ottawa series than Boyle's?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
  #38
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Poor play is subjective. He was moved up for a slumping Gaborik at times. Gaborik's poorest play is 100x better than Boyle's best. This is what frustrated us "MOAR GOALZ BOYLE HATERZ" to no end. This can be said for almost all of our "slumping players" as well.
Disagree. He was replacing guys like Kreider, Pyatt, Richards who all looked like complete dog poop. He is a very good 4th line player who was required to play above his head. Would you have rather seen Powe or Asham?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
  #39
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Completely disagree. Everyone has a role on the team and even a 3rd or 4th liner who may seem insignificant to most fans, is just as important in winning games as the skill guys are. Just because you are fast and have great puck skills and a dangerous shot doesnt necessarily make you a more important player.

Gaborik was complete garbage for a long stretch of the season. He wasnt doing a damn thing physically and therefore was killing the systems successfulness on a game to game basis.
Exactly. No way the worst Gaborik is close to as valuable as Boyle at his best. Gaborik at his worst provides NOTHING.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
  #40
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,312
vCash: 500
Alright guys, let's steer this back on topic. I am as guilty as the rest of you....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
  #41
JD123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brad View Post
Exactly. If he comes back as the 4C and gets 5-7 minutes, I'm fine with that. You know that will never happen though because Torts is in love with him.

Boyle getting PP time throughout the year is one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen in sports. He is a black hole offensively.
Totally agree. Well said. He is definitely overused by Torts. 4th line center or wing with lots of PK/important faceoffs. Period. We all know he will get top minutes if he comes back.

JD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
  #42
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Really? You'd rather have Gaborik's play in the Ottawa series than Boyle's?
Fine. You got me. Pick Boyle's best two game stretch of his career over a time when Gaborik had a torn shoudler. Boyle wins.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
  #43
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trench23 View Post
i read this board daily/religiously, and don't post here often - but i felt this was necessary to comment on...
I can't beleive the hate for Boyle on this board. I am not a Boyle fan, but he gives 100%, and was playing well prior to the injury. I think the expectations were set too high when he potted his 16. Hes not an offensive player, never will be.
Hes a perfect 4th line guy, who can do a "good" job on the 3rd line. Better than Pyatt I beleive. Boyle adds more grit, speed, forechecking than Pyatt does - at least this season (I will give Pyatt the benefit of the doubt since its a new system in a shortened season).

I think most of this board just hears one person bash a guy for a stretch of games, and everyone plays pile on.
Prior to the injury, Boyle was providing physicality, grit and energy on a team that lacked it.

As someone who takes an anti-Boyle stance alot I can tell you why I do it. Torts overrates his skill set and uses him in situations he is not suited for. If BB was used as a 4C and PK guy you would see little frustration over his performance. But since he finds himself on the third line and PP, the fact that he is crap offensively is a problem. Some people will always complain because his hit numbers are better than the impact they have since he often bumps into guys and falls down and is credited with a hit. I like his effort and don't care too much about that stuff. I just want him to be slotted correctly.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
  #44
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You don't get it. Every player has to create offense and be a 50 point scorer. Screw defense, physical play or anything like that. Moar GoalzZ
Why do this? You never hear this from the Boyle detractors. This is so dishonest and inflammatory. you make me want to post what a piece of crap he is.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
  #45
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Really? You'd rather have Gaborik's play in the Ottawa series than Boyle's?
Ah yes, BB's shining moment. Where puck luck became legendary. He has no offensive talent; let's not pine over the few moments which tempt us to ignore reality. And yes I would take Gaborik's play. just the attention he drew is more valuable than Boyle's fortuitous output.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:03 PM
  #46
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Why do this? You never hear this from the Boyle detractors. This is so dishonest and inflammatory. you make me want to post what a piece of crap he is.
Do I really need to post a sarcasm smiley? Goodness, this place is on edge today. RELAX.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
  #47
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Why do this? You never hear this from the Boyle detractors. This is so dishonest and inflammatory. you make me want to post what a piece of crap he is.
No, you would never post anything like that. It has numbers in it.


Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  #48
GFiP
Registered User
 
GFiP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Imagine how bad our defense would look if we didn't get Moore? Thank you Sather.

GFiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
  #49
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,880
vCash: 500
After watching the video of the interview with Boyle, its extremely apparent to me that he wants to play (tonight) and thinks hes ready to go but is being held out by the training staff and doctors.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
  #50
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFiP View Post
Imagine how bad our defense would look if we didn't get Moore? Thank you Sather.
Eminger and Hamrlik still as our bottom pairing?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.