HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

dawes has shot to make rangers

Old
09-17-2006, 12:44 PM
JDNYR11

vCash: 500
dawes has shot to make rangers

http://www.nypost.com/sports/dawes_h...rry_brooks.htm

JDNYR11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 12:52 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Now this I like hearing. I hope Nigel can get a spot in the top 6, but I don't want Petr pushed out of it. If anything, Cullen can play 3rd line center, Petr can play 1st line left wing, and Nigel can play on the 2nd line with Straka and Shanny to easy him in. This team has the potential to put a MONSTROUS offense with the depth it has, not only from it's veteran players, but it's young guns, like Nigel, Dubi, Immonen, Moore, who can all come in and contribute. If we can get the young kids chipping in, I wouldn't be surprised to see us taking the division, and going deep in the playoffs. Dubinsky has been a real eye-opener as well, he's been VERY impressive from what I've been reading. He keeps it up, he'll be playing 3rd line center, most likely 2nd line center by the end of the season so they can move Straka around. Another thing I love about this team, versatility. We have a few players like Straka, Cullen, Hall, Prucha, who can play a variety of different positions. If most of you remember, there was time where Prucha was playing center on the power play, and taking draws. Those who have watched Cullen in the past know his versatility to play any of the 3 forward positions. Straka can play LW or C, Hall can play either side wing. We have a lot to work with this year, and that will lead to a lot of mismatches in our favor. Opposing coaches will have a lot of trouble strategizing against us.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 12:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Now this I like hearing. I hope Nigel can get a spot in the top 6, but I don't want Petr pushed out of it. If anything, Cullen can play 3rd line center, Petr can play 1st line left wing, and Nigel can play on the 2nd line with Straka and Shanny to easy him in. This team has the potential to put a MONSTROUS offense with the depth it has, not only from it's veteran players, but it's young guns, like Nigel, Dubi, Immonen, Moore, who can all come in and contribute. If we can get the young kids chipping in, I wouldn't be surprised to see us taking the division, and going deep in the playoffs. Dubinsky has been a real eye-opener as well, he's been VERY impressive from what I've been reading. He keeps it up, he'll be playing 3rd line center, most likely 2nd line center by the end of the season so they can move Straka around. Another thing I love about this team, versatility. We have a few players like Straka, Cullen, Hall, Prucha, who can play a variety of different positions. If most of you remember, there was time where Prucha was playing center on the power play, and taking draws. Those who have watched Cullen in the past know his versatility to play any of the 3 forward positions. Straka can play LW or C, Hall can play either side wing. We have a lot to work with this year, and that will lead to a lot of mismatches in our favor. Opposing coaches will have a lot of trouble strategizing against us.
and Jason Ward who have played some centre last year and some this training camp, and Ryan Hollweg who have played some centre at times last year and in juniors as well. Its good to have that with players just in case the player taking the faceoff might get knocked out for whatever reason.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If Dawes bumps Prucha to the third line is that big of a deal? Good teams have three lines that can score and Renney seems to want to use Prucha as a rover this year.

Dawes might be a better fit on the top two lines that Prucha...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If Dawes bumps Prucha to the third line is that big of a deal? Good teams have three lines that can score and Renney seems to want to use Prucha as a rover this year.

Dawes might be a better fit on the top two lines that Prucha...
Especially if Dawes outplays Prucha.

If he does, than by all means bump Petr down.

This is a competition. NO one is being handed a spot.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Pizza

Good point.

Nigel could be a more durable than Petr in that he's just more used to an NHL style of play. Plus he's just plain thicker tha Prucha.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Pizza

Funny that there has been no update to the Rangers site in almost 24 hours.

Old
09-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Good point.

Nigel could be a more durable than Petr in that he's just more used to an NHL style of play. Plus he's just plain thicker tha Prucha.
Plus he could be better than Prucha.

If Dawes out plays Prucha than Dawes should get the spot, it's that simple..

Old
09-17-2006, 02:16 PM
digitalmonkey*

FYI

The Hockey News Ultimate Pool Guide has NY Rangers lines at...

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Cullen-Dawes
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer
Prucha-D. Moore-Orr
Ward-Immonen-G. Moore

Don't forget this came out over a month ago.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 02:20 PM
maddog24g

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
and Jason Ward who have played some centre last year and some this training camp, and Ryan Hollweg who have played some centre at times last year and in juniors as well. Its good to have that with players just in case the player taking the faceoff might get knocked out for whatever reason.
Jason Ward is a center by trade. He was drafted as a center and played the entire lockout year as a center in hamilton, so moving him back to his natural position isn't much of a big deal.

maddog24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Plus he could be better than Prucha.

If Dawes out plays Prucha than Dawes should get the spot, it's that simple..
Yup. Go for it Nigel.

Old
09-17-2006, 03:54 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Agreed. On a related note, what's Prucha looking like these days? He was a guy who looked like he needed another 10 pounds of muscle last year.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Fletch

SoS...

if Dawes and Prucha outplay Shanny and Straka, should they play instead? I don't think it's that simple.

I disagree that it's as easy as Dawes playing better than Prucha in a couple preseason games against kids and AHLers (an exaggeration, admittedly) to supplant him at a position in which he was this team's second leading scorer last season. I know we disagree on what training camp's for, but for me, it would take a bit more than a good camp to beat-out a guy we saw score 30 goals last season. Renney does imply that he's not going to look hard and long at kids who don't catch his attention fast because his main objective is to get guys like Cullen, Shanny, Ward, etc., acclimated to their new surroundings and new system, as well as get used to the guys with whom they'll be playing. It's always a tough balance because you need to prepare for a season and certain guys use preseason for different things (vets are looking to get into game shape and get their timing down while avoiding injury).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Agreed. On a related note, what's Prucha looking like these days? He was a guy who looked like he needed another 10 pounds of muscle last year.
I read something the other day that said he had not really filled out much if at all. Perhaps that's what has Renney musing about putting him on the 3rd line as opposed to the 2nd.

Renney seems to be thinking that if he can just spot Prucha properly for another season, it gives him a better chance of making it in the long run. Plus if there are players like Shanny, Dawes and Dubi potting goals on the other lines, the load will be spread out a bit.

Old
09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
GarretJoseph

Dawes on the top line with Jags & Nylander? He should hit 20 goals and at least 30 assists if he stays on that line all year.

If hes with Shanny & Straka, I can see him hitting 15 goals and 20-25 assists...

Not bad either way for a rookie.

GarretJoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 06:52 PM
shoothepuck

It will be good to see Dawes playing this year, and I hope he makes the big club. Prucha just doesn't seem like a guy who's going to grow much more or get any bigger, but as long as he can score, and play like he did last season, NY may have to live with his size.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
if Dawes and Prucha outplay Shanny and Straka, should they play instead? I don't think it's that simple.

I disagree that it's as easy as Dawes playing better than Prucha in a couple preseason games against kids and AHLers (an exaggeration, admittedly) to supplant him at a position in which he was this team's second leading scorer last season. I know we disagree on what training camp's for, but for me, it would take a bit more than a good camp to beat-out a guy we saw score 30 goals last season. Renney does imply that he's not going to look hard and long at kids who don't catch his attention fast because his main objective is to get guys like Cullen, Shanny, Ward, etc., acclimated to their new surroundings and new system, as well as get used to the guys with whom they'll be playing. It's always a tough balance because you need to prepare for a season and certain guys use preseason for different things (vets are looking to get into game shape and get their timing down while avoiding injury).
Fletch I think it is that simple. If Dawes plays better and shows more chemistry with the established vets than Dawes should get that spot. It could come down to a number of different reasons but I think you are forgetting that playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines is not that different. This team has players that can play on any line so what's the big deal? Pruchas one good season showed a lot but it still shouldn't be handed to him. I bet before Straka and Shanny were established vets they had to fight for ice time.

All i know is if Dawes and one of Immonen/Dubinsky make the team out of camp thats two more young players added to the mix of young forwards.

Renney has already indicated his thinking with Prucha and playing on a 3rd line with Betts isn't a bad thing. It isn't like the ice is tilted to the opponent when the third line is on the ice. Prucha showed last season that the whole "its who you play with" mantra that was cried for years about Manny and Lundmark was false. He made the most of his chances and should do the same this year...

The thing we both know is the lines on opening night might not be the lines the second game of the season. It's nice that we are talking about good young players fighting for roles on this team. Maybe, Finally Hockey IS different here..

Old
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Fletch

SoS...

first, I should say I'm talking more in general, as opposed to Rangers-specific. Second, go back and count how many goals Prucha scored off Betts' stick. Here's a guy who scored 14 ES goals in 68 games and zero with Betts as a center. If Renney's fine with that, then Renney doesn't believe long-term in Prucha, which is fine becuase perhaps there are better options, but you don't put a guy like Prucha with a guy like Betts when last season they shoed zero chemistry in about 15 games; heck, Betts is a fourth line player - he doesn't show 'chemistry'. He just plays a north-south game and shoots the puck when he can - offensively, he has little creative instincts.

I agree about the line shifting - Jagr playing well makes for this to be done succesfully (last season). That's why Dubinsky and Dawes may not be playing straight out of camp, but may by Christmas.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:20 PM
bleedblue94

betts is going to center the 4th line this year... if immo or dubi makes this team they are not going to make it just so they can play 5-6 mins a game ...they will be here to go and take a regular shift so the whole lets not prucha on the 3rd line bc he should play with someone better then betts thing is a moot point bc betts simply will not be the 3rd center this year ....certinly not after the first 10 games atleast

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote