HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who still has faith?

Old
05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Al14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Leafs will come out in game 2 like gangbusters. This is their game to win.
RC gave lots of guys a 2nd chance in the 'new season'
Kostka Frattin, Grabovski with Lupul.
Didnt work - now a more serious lineup card gets put out.
Or gungbasters as my wife likes to say! lol

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
The Leafs have been thoroughly outplayed for almost a month, maybe more.

Performances like last night have been common place recently and really not much of a surprise.

Since the beginning of April the Leafs have almost entire hockey games in their own zone.
Based on the Leafs play the last month, the 18-wheeler had rolled up and was parked outside the ACC. Just not everyone noticed.

You're correct because the way the team played yesterday, was how they have been playing recently, and so this isn't just a single game anomaly we witnessed, but rather a concerning trend continuing.

They've been outshot and outplayed for some time now with only Reimer and a few games against bottom teams like Florida, and NJ preventing longer losing streaks. If you are struggling to muster 20 shots on net in any game, you're going to have difficulty beating anyone.

So Leafs don't just need to correct and adjust from yesterday's results, but in fact fix things overall that have been ailing them for a while now. That is the bigger concern in turning this around.

Last edited by Mess: 05-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Based on the Leafs play the last month, the 18-wheeler had rolled up and was parked outside the ACC. Just not everyone noticed.

You're correct because the way the team played yesterday, was how they have been playing recently, and so this isn't just a single game anomaly we witnessed, but rather a concerning trend continuing.

They've been outshot and outplayed for some time now with only Reimer and a few games against bottom teams like Florida, and NJ preventing longer losing streaks. If you are struggling to must 20 shots on net a game, you're going to have difficulty beating anyone.

So Leafs don't just need to correct and adjust from yesterday's results, but in fact fix things overall that have been ailing them for a while now. That is the bigger concern in turning this around.
Montreal and Boston were the same a month before.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:

They've been outshot and outplayed for some time now with only Reimer and a few games against bottom teams like Florida, and NJ preventing longer losing streaks. If you are struggling to must 20 shots on net a game, you're going to have difficulty beating anyone.

It's a wonder that this kind of a performance came as a surprise to anyone, really. We're dead last in shots for/against in the league, limping into the post-season more because EC teams don't have their crap together than because we're playing particularly well. It's not at all a bad thing - these kids need to get there and lose in order to understand what it takes.

This is good prep for next season.

dubplatepressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
There is a big difference between Boston and Toronto and their struggles in the win column. The two teams did not look comparable on the ice yesterday in any capacity.

It might have been Bruins complacency down the stretch looking ahead to the playoffs a determining factor in their results. Bruins problem seems to have been corrected come playoff time, while the Leafs trend continued on.

Lets be honest here, it was really only Bruins struggles that are the basis for Leaf nation's optimism here for success, while our own struggles creating doubt similarly. This was always on that basis, a Bruins series to lose as opposed Leafs to win.

Leafs will need help from Bruins beating themselves to be victorious in this matchup. IMO

Old
05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
No Mess has it right. They were having problems but not of the same variety the Leafs has. In Montreal's case Price was the culprit and neither team was being as badly outplayed as the Leafs has been.

I am hoping they turn it around but I am not seeing how this is going to come about.

Having said that I will go in the prediction thread and predict a Leaf win.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Need to win game 2. I'm cautiously optimistic, but they continue to make the same stupid mistakes game after game. Nothing seems to change.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
It's a wonder that this kind of a performance came as a surprise to anyone, really. We're dead last in shots for/against in the league, limping into the post-season more because EC teams don't have their crap together than because we're playing particularly well. It's not at all a bad thing - these kids need to get there and lose in order to understand what it takes.

This is good prep for next season.
Hockey experts will tell you a team needs to learn how to lose, in order to learn how to win.

It's true, that losing exposes weaknesses and builds character and experience, that will benefit a team in the future.

In this case the Leafs need to learn from their opponents what is required to be successful, as Bruins where the teacher and Leafs the pupils yesterday.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Need to win game 2. I'm cautiously optimistic, but they continue to make the same stupid mistakes game after game. Nothing seems to change.
Yeah, but they're learning according to some of us. Too bad they seem to be very, very, very, slow learners!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Haven't necessarily lost faith, but I didn't have too much coming into the series. They've been playing this hockey for a while now, so I don't really expect much to change for the rest of the series. Though obviously I'd love to see it. Hopefully the loss lights some sort of fire under them and their boats.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Smif

We took for granted Boston's skill. Everyone talked about how tough and vicious the series was going to be and we came out looking like a deer in headlights while Boston's skilled players skated circles around us. I also hated that Grabovski was on the 2nd line with Lupul, if you're going to make a move like that try it for 5 games in the regular season first. You don't put a line together that hasn't played a shift together once all year.

Get ready for more speed and skill next game and I think we'll bounce back.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Leafsfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
We took for granted Boston's skill. Everyone talked about how tough and vicious the series was going to be and we came out looking like a deer in headlights while Boston's skilled players skated circles around us. I also hated that Grabovski was on the 2nd line with Lupul, if you're going to make a move like that try it for 5 games in the regular season first. You don't put a line together that hasn't played a shift together once all year.Get ready for more speed and skill next game and I think we'll bounce back.
Exactly, I said that last night as well.

Leafsfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Game 2 is pivotal and a must win for Toronto.

It would be hard to image the Leafs winning 4 of the next 5 games in the series to a team that you have only beaten once in the past 12 games.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Kibago

we were underdogs, and we still are. it doesn't matter if it was a close loss or blowout - need 4 of 6 when both teams are talented. simple as that.

I think Kadri, for one, is going to look a lot better Saturday night.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Offspring

Had JVR buried the gorgeous chance in the first period (not his fault), we're up 2-1 and it's a totally different game.

If the Ference hit on Grabovski gets penalized, we're on a 5-on-3 with a chance to make it 2-0, and if we do, it's a totally different game.

The boys are gonna come out steaming next game, especially if we can get out of the habit of trying the same thing every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.l.f.
Leafs will come out in game 2 like gangbusters. This is their game to win.
RC gave lots of guys a 2nd chance in the 'new season'
Kostka Frattin, Grabovski with Lupul.
Didnt work - now a more serious lineup card gets put out.
I couldnt agree more.

Offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Hockey experts will tell you a team needs to learn how to lose, in order to learn how to win.

It's true, that losing exposes weaknesses and builds character and experience, that will benefit a team in the future.

In this case the Leafs need to learn from their opponents what is required to be successful, as Bruins where the teacher and Leafs the pupils yesterday.
Absolutely agree. I mean, really, talk about flipping the proverbial switch come playoff time. The Bruins, if they play that way will be contenders against the Penguins, who don't have an answer to their overall physcial play, I think.

Leafs got beat bad last night, but I can count 27 or 28 other teams that would have lost that game too.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm trying to figure out why a fan wouldn't believe his team was going to win a series until the point where it becomes virtually impossible (say down 4 goals with 3 minutes left in a game that can eliminate) for the team to win.

What is the benefit in believing your team is going to lose a series? If there is no benefit, why do it?

Last edited by rojac: 05-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Absolutely agree. I mean, really, talk about flipping the proverbial switch come playoff time. The Bruins, if they play that way will be contenders against the Penguins, who don't have an answer to their overall physcial play, I think.

Leafs got beat bad last night, but I can count 27 or 28 other teams that would have lost that game too.
At the beginning of the season before the puck even dropped most hockey experts had Pens and Bruins being the teams to beat in the east.

So it really shouldn't come as a real shock or surprise that their opponents will be underdogs against them when the games really matter come playoff time.

The Bruins demonstrated yesterday why they were deserving of that early season praise, and recognized as a cup contender. Most NHL teams would have struggled the way they played yesterday.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:02 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
At the beginning of the season before the puck even dropped most hockey experts had Pens and Bruins being the teams to beat in the east.

So it really shouldn't come as a real shock or surprise that their opponents will be underdogs against them when the games really matter come playoff time.

The Bruins demonstrated yesterday why they were deserving of that early season praise, and recognized as a cup contender. Most NHL teams would have struggled the way they played yesterday.
See, to me, all the Bruins demonstrated was that they could beat the Leafs on the evening of May 1, 2013.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:15 PM
hfsk

Im not worried for 2 reasons

1.) The mistakes we made in game 1 were the basics of hockey, we made boston look soo much better than they really...half the turnovers weren't even as a result of their pressure. Thats a showing to me that we were very nervous and got caught in the limelights

Very normal human reaction and can be corrected with a little mental work

2.) We eased up on our gap control, if our forwards come a little deeper in the zone, we will have no problem frustrating the bruins offense

I have watched boston over the years, very fragile team , horton bergeron are concussion prone, rask's last playoff experience (before last night) was watching simon gagne score the 4th and final goal of the epic comeback and claude julien makes alot of bonehead decisions

Last nights loss was very predictable, nothing to panic over in the playoffs you dont worry until you have lost a home game.

hfsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Stephen

The more I think about it, the less I would characterize the win as "Boston Dominating". Remember those series against Ottawa when they actually did dominate us by skating circles and peppering Belfour and Cujo with shots and it was a miracle we beat them every year? That actually looked like domination.

Playing against Boston, it's like both teams are stuck in slow motion and playing low energy hockey, and the Bruins seem more acclimated to that pacing.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
Quote:

Despite his work for Miracle, I hardly think Steven Tyler qualifies as a hockey expert.

And why would any of us lose faith? It's ONE road game, if we can win the next one and head back the ACC with a 1-1 record then that's about as good as it gets.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The more I think about it, the less I would characterize the win as "Boston Dominating". Remember those series against Ottawa when they actually did dominate us by skating circles and peppering Belfour and Cujo with shots and it was a miracle we beat them every year? That actually looked like domination.

Playing against Boston, it's like both teams are stuck in slow motion and playing low energy hockey, and the Bruins seem more acclimated to that pacing.
I think the Bruins are under the illusion that they played a great game when in fact the Leafs just played a downright terrible game...something they have done for the better part of the last month.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Tak7

I don't have much faith at all.

Think last night showed that if the Bruins can play remotely close to the way they can, they can handle the Leafs super easily without much fuss. Kind of like that big bully in school holding the little kid at arm's length while he tries to swing away.

I said before, during, and after game 48 - you can't mail the final game in, because it'll cost us. This is nothing more than the team deserves for taking the final game of the season off

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
I don't have much faith at all.

Think last night showed that if the Bruins can play remotely close to the way they can, they can handle the Leafs super easily without much fuss. Kind of like that big bully in school holding the little kid at arm's length while he tries to swing away.

I said before, during, and after game 48 - you can't mail the final game in, because it'll cost us. This is nothing more than the team deserves for taking the final game of the season off
I still have faith but this is spot on. We should be laughing it up after bullying the Habs right now, but instead they phoned in the last game and we're stuck with bullies of our own. I'm sure we can still make it happen though.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote