HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Sad truth is we don't have the depth to give up on Brewer just yet. Also, we need to take a long hard look at the fact that Cooper and his "you'll ****ing play defense, or you'll play elsewhere" system *should* show some improvement in quite a few guys, notably Carle and Brewer.
Agreed on both counts. While it wouldn't completely surprise me to see Brewer moved this summer, IMO he is OK as a third pairing D-man. If he is moved he will have to be replaced, which means either another (inexperienced) Syracuse D makes the big club - Gudas is pretty much a given at this point - or Yzerman goes shopping in an expensive open market.

On the Cooper system, let's not forget the team was playing most of the season with the somewhat unconventional Boucher system in their heads: both D on the puck and a forward covering the slot in the defensive zone. It didn't seem to work for this group. I remember watching a practice where Lee in particular was having trouble picking it up. Let's see what a full camp with Cooper brings.

As a final point on Brewer, I see a lot of criticism of his skating. While he is slowish in terms of straight line speed and won't catch many forwards on a breakaway, he actually skates reasonably well. You can see this when he joins the rush, as well as some plays in his own end. It is his positioning that often gets him in trouble, and he makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes for a veteran.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I think it would be wise to get rid of either Purcell or Malone and dump the salary of Ohlund and then use that for D. They got so many guys ready to come up. Id get rid of Purcell if it was my choice. I think Malone still serves a good valuable role on this team. Purcell is too up and down for my liking. Some team will want him though. Hes got a decent price for what he brings.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I think it would be wise to get rid of either Purcell or Malone and dump the salary of Ohlund and then use that for D. They got so many guys ready to come up. Id get rid of Purcell if it was my choice. I think Malone still serves a good valuable role on this team. Purcell is too up and down for my liking. Some team will want him though. Hes got a decent price for what he brings.
Totally agree, but I'm a little worried about what Malone might bring us back. I mean, if he's packaged with Teddy (woah. blockbuster pretty much), I'm sure it wouldn't be bad, as Teddy has some good value I would think, but Malone alone (heh) I can't see returning all that much. He is just injured way too often, and when he's not, doesn't bring what he used to to the table.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Alivesi

Barberio could replace Brewer in the top 4 I think

Old
05-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Mhm, would prefer Gudas next season, give Barberio a season to ease in and maybe he is good enough for the season Salo reitres (I really hope he signs for 1 more year next summer)

Old
05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
2015cupwinners

I think Gudas will be improved in his 2nd season.

Hedman- Gudas
Carle- Salo
- - - - - - -

Three of: Aulie, Brewer, Trade, Barberio, Korobov, Taormina, Sustr. Koekkoek probably isn't ready yet.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Mhm, would prefer Gudas next season, give Barberio a season to ease in and maybe he is good enough for the season Salo reitres (I really hope he signs for 1 more year next summer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post

Hedman- Gudas
Carle- Salo
- - - - - - -

Three of: Aulie, Brewer, Trade, Barberio, Korobov, Taormina, Sustr. Koekkoek probably isn't ready yet.
Eh, Idk. Barbs didn't look so hot in his stint here. A defenseman doesn't just come in from the A and come into a top 4 role. Gudas, I'm not so sure either. We might have to keep Brewer for depth reasons unfortunately. A good portion of our NHL D would be on a lot of other team's AHL team.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Thoughts from the farm on the D situation. Barber is probably still looking at a fill in role next year, or maybe what Gudas saw this year, a late season call up. He put up points this year, but it was the quietest 40 point season I can ever recall. Taormina started of slow but really picked up at the end of the year. Wouldn't mind seeing the two of them as the 8/9 role.

For anyone counting on Sustr being ready next year...don't. He's shown a lot of potential, but needs a lot of time to even get used to AHL speed, let alone NHL speed (that's not saying he hasn't been better than Lee...but that's not saying much).

If the thought is to trade for a top-4, I think the best parts to offer up would be Connolly and Wyman. Both are close to being ready and have have some value, but I think there are others in the system that could fill their roles. Toss in Salary going back or a mid round pick and that might get a good return.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 134
I think our options are as follows:

1) Stand pat. Maybe make a minor move here or there, but largely stay the course. Maybe move Gudas to the second pairing and Brewer to the third. Without a guy coming back, we don't have the luxury of moving Brewer right now, and if we want to not send off any forwards for D, this is probably what we'll do. The other option is to split up Hedman and Salo, maybe put Salo with Carle and Hedman with Gudas/Carle/Brewer. I don't love this idea because I think Hedman/Salo is a kickass top pairing at the moment.

2) Probably the likely option, but it is to pick up a guy in free agency. We need to shed some salary, which I could see with a Malone for low pick trade/buyout, but pick up a cost effective defensive guy to play the role Lundin did when he was here. Don't think we can afford a full blown top 4 guy, so it would have to be a bottom pairing utility guy.

3) Trade one of our forwards with value (probably Purcell or Connolly) for a top 4 guy. This could be the best or worst move of the three options. What if the guy comes in and doesn't perform (injury or ineptitude or both)? What if Connolly turns out to be a 35-35 guy? What if Purcell haunts our dreams when we can't enter the zone? This is the highest risk, highest reward option of the three. I am torn on whether this is the right move.

Anyway, that's how I see the D playing out. I think doing #1, if we get better goaltending and more D help from the forwards could get us into the playoffs. I think #2 makes it more likely we make the playoffs, and #3 is the type of move we would end up either loving or hating.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:29 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Not a chance. Teddy has something that Bugsy doesn't, and thats the ability to actually be in the lineup. Bugsy is just hurt and/or hungover and chasing women.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Neither one of them should be in the top four yet. Barberio looked downright terrible while up, and Gudas has played a lot of sheltered minutes so far. He should be a five at this point with spot duty.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Not a chance. Teddy has something that Bugsy doesn't, and thats the ability to actually be in the lineup. Bugsy is just hurt and/or hungover and chasing women.
He also has significant value and can be adequately replaced for millions less. It would be foolish not to at least explore the possibility of trading him.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
He also has significant value and can be adequately replaced for millions less. It would be foolish not to at least explore the possibility of trading him.
Right, if you trade Malone it's for the cap relief. If you trade Purcell it's because he could return you a top-4 defenseman. The two situations aren't all that similar, IMO.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
I agree that Malone is hurt often. When healthy he does being a physical presence and that hasn't been something we have had much of for a while and he does that. I disagree with those that say Malone would bring more back. Purcell is at least healthy and contributes. Thing is we have all these guys ready to play. We can trade Purcell + could get something decent in return on D I think. If we want to get rid of Malone, I'd rather do it at the trade deadline if the teams not in the playoffs. I think we would get a decent return for him at the deadline. Packaging them together is an interesting idea. But that's a lot of salary for those two together in a trade. I wonder what kind of return we could get.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:40 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:

Hedman- Gudas
Carle- Salo
- - - - - - -

That's fine for rebuilding, but we need to compete next season. That group won't be ready at that point. Some forward talent will have to be moved, and the #3 pick possibly, to get what we need on D.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
That's fine for rebuilding, but we need to compete next season. That group won't be ready at that point. Some forward talent will have to be moved, and the #3 pick possibly, to get what we need on D.
Yeah, which is why he said one of them will be from trade. Although, moving the #3 pick is a pipedream.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:42 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I agree that Malone is hurt often. When healthy he does being a physical presence and that hasn't been something we have had much of for a while and he does that. I disagree with those that say Malone would bring more back. Purcell is at least healthy and contributes. Thing is we have all these guys ready to play. We can trade Purcell + could get something decent in return on D I think. If we want to get rid of Malone, I'd rather do it at the trade deadline if the teams not in the playoffs. I think we would get a decent return for him at the deadline. Packaging them together is an interesting idea. But that's a lot of salary for those two together in a trade. I wonder what kind of return we could get.
He really isn't, though. Hes generally been the worst guy on the ice, doesn't skate, doesn't backcheck, and really only seems to care about going out drinking and chasing ass after games.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
2015cupwinners

NHL lineup for next season.

Palat- Stamkos- St. Louis
Killorn- Lecavalier- Purcell
Pouliot- Johnson- Panik
Pyatt- Thompson- Crombeen
Labrie

Drouin, Connolly, and Kucherov have to wait a year. Palat, Johnson, and Panik are enough rookies to have at one time.

Hedman- Gudas
Carle- Salo
Korobov- Taormina
Aulie

Average, but Cooper will have the forwards helping these guys out, which will make them look much better. Malone and/or Brewer get traded for a D if the Bolts don't like Korobov or Taormina, or for draft picks otherwise.

Bishop
Lindback

I like these two. At least one of them will be playing well at any given time. Overall, decent playoff team, that is if Gudas, Salo, and Carle have good years, and if the forwards help out on D.

AHL lineup.

Gauthier- Namestnikov- Connolly
Devos- Angelidis- Kucherov
Tyrell- Paquette- Wyman
Paradis- Richard- Sexton
Jacques

Not as good as this year. Connolly and Kucherov will have to carry them.

Barberio- Sustr
Nesterov- Sergeev
Witkowski- Lee

Any lineup with Lee in it has got to be good...

Janus
Vasilevskiy

Tending will be the strong point of the team. Overall, the AHL team will likely fall to just average next season. My 2 cents.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:45 AM
JFleegs

Quote:

Pouliot- Johnson- Panik
Labrie

Drouin, Connolly, and Kucherov have to wait a year. Palat, Johnson, and Panik are enough rookies to have at one time.

Hedman- Gudas
Carle- Salo
Korobov- Taormina
Aulie

Average, but Cooper will have the forwards helping these guys out, which will make them look much better. Malone and/or Brewer get traded for a D if the Bolts don't like Korobov or Taormina, or for draft picks otherwise.

Bishop
Lindback

I like these two. At least one of them will be playing well at any given time. Overall, decent playoff team, that is if Gudas, Salo, and Carle have good years, and if the forwards help out on D.

AHL lineup.

Tyrell- Paquette- Wyman
Paradis- Richard- Sexton
Jacques

Barberio- Sustr
Nesterov- Sergeev
Witkowski- Lee

Janus
Vasilevskiy

Tending will be the strong point of the team. Overall, the AHL team will likely fall to just average next season. My 2 cents.
I like this, I think Korobov will be a nice surprise next year. Whats nice is Coop already knows exactly who's ready to make the jump and what they are capable of. I hope we are able to get atleast one more solid dman through trade tho.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:55 PM
jg39
SFY is great

I would caution those trying to make lineups for next year to take notice of expiring contracts...there's a lot that could change. RFA's/UFA's:

RFA's:
Pouliot
Aulie
Gudas
----------
J.T. Brown
Mikkelson
Hutchings
Barbs
Nagle
Sexton

UFA's:
Nacho
Garon (SERIOUSLY doubt he'll be back)
-------
JF Jacques
Taormina
Desjardins
Wyman
Oberg
Angelidis

http://capgeek.com/lightning/

The offseason will be interesting.

Old
05-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I found an interesting link on the playoff board about Ian White, who we've had various degrees of interest in on here.

http://www.blackacesottawa.com/2008/...ian-white.html

this was a few years prior to even the blog post so White may have matured.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:26 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I found an interesting link on the playoff board about Ian White, who we've had various degrees of interest in on here.

http://www.blackacesottawa.com/2008/...ian-white.html

this was a few years prior to even the blog post so White may have matured.
Doesn't sound like the kind of player Yzerman would like to sign. Remember Mitch Fadden? But yeah, he (White) may have matured.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:51 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
I would caution those trying to make lineups for next year to take notice of expiring contracts...there's a lot that could change. RFA's/UFA's:

RFA's:
Pouliot
Aulie
Gudas
----------
J.T. Brown
Barbs

UFA's:
Nacho
Taormina
Desjardins (Possible, but unlikely)
Wyman (also possible but less likely)
Angelidis

http://capgeek.com/lightning/

The offseason will be interesting.
I think this is about how it ends up.

Quote:

Pouliot- Johnson- Panik
Labrie

Hedman- Gudas
Carle- Salo
Korobov- Taormina
Aulie

Bishop
Lindback

AHL lineup.

Tyrell- Paquette- Wyman
Paradis- Richard- Sexton
Jacques

Barberio- Sustr
Nesterov- Sergeev
Witkowski- Lee

Janus
Vasilevskiy

Palat on the top line? Gudas on the top pairing? Korobov, Taormina on our third pairing? Buhhhhhhh. Also, no Connolly?

Old
05-04-2013, 10:30 PM
HoseEmUp

Replacing all of our under-achieving regulars with prospects is the fast track to playoff success.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:30 AM
Pontius Palat
Blame Gudas Iscariot

Quote:

Pouliot- Johnson- Panik
Labrie

Drouin wouldn't really be developing if he went back to juniors so how 'bout trading Pouliot so he could be slotted in there instead of him?

Closed Thread