HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone concerned about our 4th line in the playoffs?

Old
05-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Chelios

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I must agree. Morin is just as physical as Bollig if he wants to be. The myth that bottom 6 players don't need to score seems to be shared by the usual suspects around here. It is often a 4th line goal that is the difference in a tight playoff game.

I'd prefer the 4th line consist of more physicality, and by all 3 forwards, not 1 or 2 of them. Ideally they'd all be well over 200 lbs that can cause havoc for the ops, but that's merely a pipe dream.
These statements drive me insane. You state this stuff as fact when there is no way to prove it. What constitutes "often". How many 4th lune goals made the difference in tight playoff games last year? How about during the Hawks cup in 2010? It reminds me of my senile 70 year old coach in junior who used to spew this crap all the time.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:09 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Lol, oh Bobby.

So, on one hand, you want more offense from the 4th line. On the other, you want 3 Bolligs.

Make up your mind.
Who said that? I certainly didn't. Morin is hardly a Bollig. It's like trading posts with the wall. You read what you want to read.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:30 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Yikes Romer, we get it. You don't like Bollig. Enough already.

He's been a big part of a very good 4th line for a lot of this season. Q wants him there and he'll see a lot of 4th line minutes. Deal with it

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:31 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Morin over Bollig makes this team better. It's that simple. And he might bring more offense? Please.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Morin over Bollig makes this team better. It's that simple. And he might bring more offense? Please.
Why hasn't he been up much with the big club then?

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
No idea. Matt Walker got big minutes under Q. Doesn't mean it was a good idea.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

While I will agree Bollig isn't horrible in his role any compassion to Madden is beyond stupid. Madden was a warrior who would win FO, kill penalties and play 110% at all times. If he wasn't his age he was exactly what this team needed before getting Handzus.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
madgoat33

lol deterrant? seriously? nobody is afraid of bollig. when he does fight he's lucky to draw and i don't think he's thrown a single punishing hit this season. and john Scott barely deterred **** and he's twice the size and 100x the fighter

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
If and when Bolland comes back, Shaw will move down to 4th line and Bollig will be out.
I hope not. Don't break up Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg. Instead put Bolland together with Kruger and Frolik (and sit Bollig). Kruger and Frolik are better suited to play on a shutdown line than Bickell and Stalberg are - and it's time Bolland get back to being the center on the shutdown line. Kruger-Bolland-Frolik would be an outstanding shutdown line and the top 3 lines can keep doing what they've been doing.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Handzus-Kane
Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg
Kruger-Bolland-Frolik

Roll all 4 lines and win the Cup.

EbonyRaptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

in the end, if Bollig or Morin or Smith or Mayers plays won't mean **** and won't be the reason why we win the cup or not

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
These statements drive me insane. You state this stuff as fact when there is no way to prove it. What constitutes "often". How many 4th lune goals made the difference in tight playoff games last year? How about during the Hawks cup in 2010? It reminds me of my senile 70 year old coach in junior who used to spew this crap all the time.
The obvious point is: show me a team that relies exclusively on top 6 players to do all the scoring in the PO's and I show you a non-SC winner. One day, if you learn the game, you may understand why.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I hope not. Don't break up Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg. Instead put Bolland together with Kruger and Frolik (and sit Bollig). Kruger and Frolik are better suited to play on a shutdown line than Bickell and Stalberg are - and it's time Bolland get back to being the center on the shutdown line. Kruger-Bolland-Frolik would be an outstanding shutdown line and the top 3 lines can keep doing what they've been doing.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Handzus-Kane
Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg
Kruger-Bolland-Frolik

Yep.

I said at the deadline: add a 2C and stick Bolland with Kruger and Frolik.

And, well, Bowman did in fact add a 2C, as we've seen from Handzus. He's a much better fit with Sharp and Kane. All those guys needed was someone to win draws and pass them the puck.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
salty justice

I clicked this thread thinking it was an old one dug up to say I TOLD YOU SO after our last game.

The 4th line played great and Carcillo and Mayers can always be plugged into it. Zero cause for concern right now.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Pepe Silvia

vCash: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Handzus-Kane
Bickell-Shaw-Stalberg
Kruger-Bolland-Frolik

I don't have a problem with Bollig playing but that's a damn good lineup. That 4th line would get a good amount of ice time.

Pepe Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Chelios

Quote:
The obvious point is: show me a team that relies exclusively on top 6 players to do all the scoring in the PO's and I show you a non-SC winner. One day, if you learn the game, you may understand why.
This is such an arrogant post. I can't wait until I "learn the game" (if I ever do), so I can post valuable insight like "often a goal from the 4th line is the difference in a close playoff game".

I also like the fact that you have now changed it to "top 6 players" and are posting it after our 3rd line scored the OT winner in game 1.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Does it really matter that Bollig doesn't create offense on the 4th line? He's playing with 2 blackholes anyway.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Good thing Chicago isn't relying on their top 6 to score then. They are relying on their top 9.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
This is such an arrogant post. I can't wait until I "learn the game" (if I ever do), so I can post valuable insight like "often a goal from the 4th line is the difference in a close playoff game".

I also like the fact that you have now changed it to "top 6 players" and are posting it after our 3rd line scored the OT winner in game 1.
Exactly. You may also recall one Ben Eager scoring a key goal in the SC year as well.

When you post stupidity, that's what you get in return.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Exactly. You may also recall one Ben Eager scoring a key goal in the SC year as well.

What about all those 4th liners scoring for LA last year??

That's right, they had 1 goal from their 4th line in the SCF...the argument is weak.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Chelios

Quote:

Stupidity? You do realize that you said "often a 4th line goal makes the difference in a tight playoff game" with nothing to back it up, and then proceded to change your argument to "goals outside the top 6" (which I agree with BTW) in your following post right? And then you call me stupid for pointing out those facts.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Any team that relies only on top 6 whether regular season or playoffs, will not go far. The top 9 are important for scoring and the 4th line is important for setting up the other three lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Good thing Chicago isn't relying on their top 6 to score then. They are relying on their top 9.
So true.

And also, if you want to talk about the 4th line, it takes all three members working together, something called chemistry. If they work together and get their job done, witching out one player can impact the chemistry and make them less effective. And you compare him to Eager. Really? He plays a different game than eager. Compare Eager to the person that plays the same role as he did.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Eager scored his "4th line goal" in the SCF playing with noted scrubs Toews and Byfuglien

I am pretty confident in saying the two 4th line goals scored by the Hawks in the playoffs over the past 4 years were both against Vancouver in '09: Eager in Game 2 and Burish in Game 6 (and for the latter, Sharp was on the 4th line so I don't even want to count it)

e: and Bollig last year of course

Last edited by theaub: 05-02-2013 at 02:41 PM.
theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
What about all those 4th liners scoring for LA last year??

That's right, they had 1 goal from their 4th line in the SCF...the argument is weak.
That 1 goal is a goal that comes unexpectedly and can do wonders to lift the team as well as contribute to a win. You make it sound insignificant when it isnít. If our 4th line scores 1 timely goal in this series, Iíll be elated. In the SC finals, if we ever get there, ecstatic! Call me arrogant if you wish, but any knowledgeable hockey guy will say the same thing but many Hawk fans here are clueless when it comes to understanding the game. Sorry for being so blunt.

The original discussion was about having Morin up here, playing instead of Bollig and I agreed he could make our 4th line better (and most definitely more of a scoring threat) while not losing anything physical that Bollig may bring. Iím done here.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Chelios

Quote:
That 1 goal is a goal that comes unexpectedly and can do wonders to lift the team as well as contribute to a win. You make it sound insignificant when it isnít. If our 4th line scores 1 timely goal in this series, Iíll be elated. In the SC finals, if we ever get there, ecstatic! Call me arrogant if you wish, but any knowledgeable hockey guy will say the same thing but many Hawk fans here are clueless when it comes to understanding the game. Sorry for being so blunt.

The original discussion was about having Morin up here, playing instead of Bollig and I agreed he could make our 4th line better (and most definitely more of a scoring threat) while not losing anything physical that Bollig may bring. Iím done here.
Had you said "getting a goal from the 4th line is an excellent bonus that helps the team" I would agree with you wholeheartedly. But that's not what you said, you said that "often" a tight game is determined by a goal from the 4th line. Which is BS. The arrogance doesn't come from your stance, it comes from your dismissing anyone who calls you out on that crap as "clueless" when it comes to "understanding" the game.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Ya it would be good if the 4th line scored a goal, but it won't win us the series.
But keep acting like you are smarter than everyone else.