HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Meszeros

Old
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Tripod

vCash: 500
Andrej Meszeros

Just wondering what fans of OTHER teams would offer for him.
2011 81 Games...32 points...+30
then hit injuries
2012 62 games...25 points...+6
2013 11 games...2 pints...-9

He has 1 year left at 4 million, then a UFA. What would you offer?

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Curufinwe

He has no real value unless he can play next season in Philly without getting injured. Then maybe the Flyers can get a pick for him as the deadline approaches.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I'd be happy just to get rid of him. He's regressed badly, and Laurdisen has about the same function.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I'd be happy just to get rid of him. He's regressed badly, and Laurdisen has about the same function.
He played good hockey for the 15 minutes or so that he was healthy, so I think the regression stuff was unfair. He went from being healthy most of the time to injured most of the time pretty quick though.

If some team were inclined, he's probably worth a gamble for a 4th.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If some team were inclined, he's probably worth a gamble for a 4th.
Yeah, realistically, you're probably looking at a conditional mid-round pick at this point.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Ricky Bobby

The Flyers need D so why would they want to trade him?

He was your Dman of the year not to long ago. Hold onto him and hopes he get healthy.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The Flyers need D so why would they want to trade him?

He was your Dman of the year not to long ago. Hold onto him and hopes he get healthy.
When healthy, Meszaros is probably the Flyers 4th best defenseman (Timonen, Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann), and even before his injuries, his form had started to drop a bit. He struggles when playing against tougher competition, so he's basically relegated to a 3rd-pairing/ 2nd PP role on the Flyers. He can be very effective in that role--but on a cap team, his $4 AAV is a bit tricky to fit in.

Add to that the injuries, and the need for some sort of PMD upgrade on the blueline, and Meszaros is the logical guy to go. But for all those reasons, he holds little trade value.

EDIT: All that said, he's big, mobile, with a good shot, and he's still relatively young (27), by NHL defense standards.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Cootsfanclub

What about a conditional trade with a team looking for really any defense?
The Flyers get nothing this year and conditional picks in 2014 based on how many games he plays or if he re-signs.

Flyers gain some cap space and a team that needs defense get a low risk high reward player.

Cootsfanclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:41 PM
CTU2fan

I liked Mezsaros when he first got here, before he started breaking all the time. At this point his value is so low I'd almost rather they just keep him and hope he can heal up and contribute. If they add another NHL D-man he'll have to go though, as Gustafsson won't make it through waivers to go to ADK I don't think.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
When healthy, Meszaros is probably the Flyers 4th best defenseman (Timonen, Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann), and even before his injuries, his form had started to drop a bit. He struggles when playing against tougher competition, so he's basically relegated to a 3rd-pairing/ 2nd PP role on the Flyers. He can be very effective in that role--but on a cap team, his $4 AAV is a bit tricky to fit in.

Add to that the injuries, and the need for some sort of PMD upgrade on the blueline, and Meszaros is the logical guy to go. But for all those reasons, he holds little trade value.

EDIT: All that said, he's big, mobile, with a good shot, and he's still relatively young (27), by NHL defense standards.
Fair points. Some team who doesn't have cap issues will be glad to take a chance on him regaining his health and level of play. It's a low risk/high reward move for the acquiring team.

4 million buys a second pairing dman in UFA so don't expect a big upgrade for less money by going that route and signing someone like Scuderi, Hainsey, Streit, etc.

If the Flyers need to create cap room I still think the best move is to try and trade Briere (which they already tried to do) or buy him out.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Fair points. Some team who doesn't have cap issues will be glad to take a chance on him regaining his health and level of play. It's a low risk/high reward move for the acquiring team.

4 million buys a second pairing dman in UFA so don't expect a big upgrade for less money by going that route and signing someone like Scuderi, Hainsey, Streit, etc.

If the Flyers need to create cap room I still think the best move is to try and trade Briere (which they already tried to do) or buy him out.
Ugggh. I just noticed his ACTUAL salary next year is 5.5 million. Can't even pawn him off on a team looking to inflate their cap. I guess he is staying and the fingers are crossed he stays healthy.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Ricky Bobby

To Oilers:

Meszaros (4 million caphit that expires at the end of next season)
Conditional pick (2nd rounder if he plays than 50 games, 3rd if he plays between 50-65, no pick if he plays over 65 games)

To Flyers:

N. Schultz (3.5 caphit that expires at the end of next season)

Old
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Ugggh. I just noticed his ACTUAL salary next year is 5.5 million. Can't even pawn him off on a team looking to inflate their cap. I guess he is staying and the fingers are crossed he stays healthy.
UFA D Market sucks so he'd find a home.

Oilers, Sabres, Flames all have a need for D and lots of salary and cap money.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
To Oilers:

Meszaros (4 million caphit that expires at the end of next season)
Conditional pick (2nd rounder if he plays than 50 games, 3rd if he plays between 50-65, no pick if he plays over 65 games)

To Flyers:

N. Schultz (3.5 caphit that expires at the end of next season)
Schultz isn't the kind of defenseman the Flyers need, and the modest cap savings isn't worth the risk of giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. With Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann under contract, the Flyers don't really need more defensive-minded defensemen. They need a puck mover.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Meszaros, when healthy is a big upgrade over Lauridsen. If Lauridsen keeps progressing, that could change. For the immediate future, Meszaros is clearly better.

I don't think it's fair to judge Meszaros on his limited ice time this season. In reality almost every Flyers defenseman struggled early this year except Grossmann and Schenn. I conceed that even last season, Meszaros wasn't as good as his first season with the Flyers. If the Flyers truly think he can stay healthy, I have no problem with keeping him one more year and hoping he can rebound a bit.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Briere is as good as gone. 0% chance he is a Flyer next season.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Flyerfan47

Quote:
then hit injuries

Not sure what others would offer, but I'd take a 3rd or 4th for him. Addition by subtraction. I fear Mesz' shoulders are going too be a chronic issue

Flyerfan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Schultz isn't the kind of defenseman the Flyers need, and the modest cap savings isn't worth the risk of giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. With Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann under contract, the Flyers don't really need more defensive-minded defensemen. They need a puck mover.
I'd argue that the Flyers just need NHL calibar dmen.

Timmonen is old and has to see his minutes kept in check for them to be high quality minutes. Coburn, Schenn and Grossman all play a physical/shot blocking style so count on at least one of them to be injured next season.

After that the D is really dicey. Mes would have made a big difference and even Schultz (who only has 1 year remaining) could help make a difference as a # 4/5 quality dman.

Schultz or Mes might not be ideal but with 1 year on each of their deals if they don't have the cap space to use elsewhere then........

Old
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Schultz or Mes might not be ideal but with 1 year on each of their deals if they don't have the cap space to use elsewhere then........
Yeah, I think it stands to reason that if they don't plan to spend the money elsewhere, they'd just hold on to Meszaros.

A few guys have kicked around the idea of dumping Meszaros to create space to sign Streit ($5.5 x 3). I'm not enamored with that idea--but I assume that that's the sort of thing that the OP had in mind.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
flapanthersfan

Meszaros for Scottie Upshall? Two injury prone players, Flyers love their grit, Florida needs d-help

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Meszaros for Scottie Upshall? Two injury prone players, Flyers love their grit, Florida needs d-help
Also a former Flyer.

If Meszy is healthy he's a really good dman imo.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
The Flyers would likely be looking to clear cap space if they moved Meszaros, so Upshall doesn't really make sense. I think they'd probably prefer to just re-sign Gagne for a year to play 3LW.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:40 PM
trebendan

with Simmonds to Winnipeg for Byfuglien.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
IranCondraAffair

Meszaros for Hemsky?

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
The Cat Captain

Quote:
then hit injuries

I present to you... Filip Kuba! Please?

The Cat Captain is offline   Reply With Quote