*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Percyma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
Rychel is just hanging around for appearances for the selection committee.

Inaccurate.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
The other thing that doesn't fit...why did Boughner & Rychel go to the U-18's in Russia if they are possible sellers? (A costly trip) Unless it was to make contacts for future employment ops....
Or it could be to still try and convince the selection committee that they're serious about not having another Ionin pick, but rather are going to come out of the import draft with two impact forwards.

Would be interesting if the Tullio rumor was Rocco buying the Boughner majority share.

I don't know if WR and BB will stick around if the OHL makes it readily apparent that they're not wanted and will never get the host gig because the same committee members will have given it to London twice in 10 years and came out against Windsor twice in three years. Sell the team for a tidy profit and tell Branch to kiss their ass once the ink is dried on the final sale contract. Buying the team for near $6M, selling it for around $10M - value will never be as high, as NCAA Hockey is quickly gaining on OHL as a pipeline to the NHL. Furthermore after dealing with Branch for the last many years, they might realize that he's a clown and they don't want their million dollar investments in the hands of a Bozo who would rather hold back good organizations than prod the crappy ones to get better.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Ottomatic

Hell, maybe all this selling and rumors of selling is part of the Memorial Cup bid - I mean the selection committee gave the gig to Melnyk who promptly sold the team after getting the hosting gig.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

I don't think Rychel and Boughner would do it right now a few months before the season. I could see something in the middle of next year. Good on them if they can get out and certainly make more money. It would still leave a sour taste in my mouth though because these would be hockey guys selling, we already saw what happened with a non hockey guy in Windsor.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:59 PM
SimonKnightsman

They hit up Sochi for their import pics in that draft coming up. I don't think things are changing much.....might be just one cashing out or someone needs a cash infusion quickly.

But I expect to see Boughner here next year at least....Rychel prolly stays too.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
hockeyboy4

Tullio knows his hockey, he also has a son who plays AAA hopefully if he buys the team we dont have another rychel deal

Old
04-30-2013, 04:58 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
Tullio knows his hockey, he also has a son who plays AAA hopefully if he buys the team we dont have another rychel deal
Early on Tullio wasn't very good; hiring DePiero wasn't the greatest move. Allowing DePiero to trade Tavares and DelZotto for 50 cents on the dollar wasn't smart. DeBoer and Graves are on board now but I am not sure how much say into the day to day operations they have since they are busy with other jobs. Bringing in DJ and Twohey was a smart move though. I would prefer if there was stability in Windsor though.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:17 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
I don't think Rocco was ever in the picture. Someone heard a rumour of a successful Windsor Businessman that already owns a junior team and the first name that popped up was Tullio. That is what I believed happened to get his hat thrown into the ring.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Pukhogg

Quote:
I don't think Rocco was ever in the picture. Someone heard a rumour of a successful Windsor Businessman that already owns a junior team and the first name that popped up was Tullio. That is what I believed happened to get his hat thrown into the ring.
Who said this mystery business man has to own a junior A team? What if he owns a junior B team? How about Bill Szekesy of the Chatham Maroons? He's very wealthy and a very successful business man. Are there any rumors of more trades to take place? It's still interesting to see what the final roster will look like this coming season.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:04 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
Who said this mystery business man has to own a junior A team? What if he owns a junior B team? How about Bill Szekesy of the Chatham Maroons? He's very wealthy and a very successful business man. Are there any rumors of more trades to take place? It's still interesting to see what the final roster will look like this coming season.
I am pretty sure if the basic rumour is true, that the three are selling part of the team, that Savage is the man.

As far as trades go, I think they have to wait until the cup is awarded to decide what direction they want to go.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
punch1943

Spits/Vipers/John Savage

For those who find a conspiracy in everything, the signing of ex-Spit Bill Bowler to the GM/Head Coach job of the Lasalle Vipers by owner John Savage(rumored partner to be of the Spits) will certainly raise some eyebrows. Getting his ducks in order?

Old
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
For those who find a conspiracy in everything, the signing of ex-Spit Bill Bowler to the GM/Head Coach job of the Lasalle Vipers by owner John Savage(rumored partner to be of the Spits) will certainly raise some eyebrows. Getting his ducks in order?
I do not care for Bowler outside of his ability to teach skills so that would be a good place for him, not on the Spits bench.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Ottomatic

The Mem Cup host decision is supposed to be announced on Monday. Any chance that's pushed back like it was in 2010 because both London and Barrie are bidders and obviously still playing?

Or is Branch so confident his team will win this year that they could announce London on Monday as scheduled because Branch won't have to show his face in Barrie awarding them the League Championship.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
coachfluffy

I hope they announce the winner ASAP. We have to decide if we are getting the season tickets or not.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
The Mem Cup host decision is supposed to be announced on Monday. Any chance that's pushed back like it was in 2010 because both London and Barrie are bidders and obviously still playing?

Or is Branch so confident his team will win this year that they could announce London on Monday as scheduled because Branch won't have to show his face in Barrie awarding them the League Championship.
I imagine the cup is going to Barrie. Optics would be horrible if Branch announced London got the cup in Barrie, he could have just had the announcement tomorrow if that's the case.

Fluff I guess you can make your decision on tickets Monday then. Hopefully this is the impetus for a full blown rebuild starting as soon as the trade window opens up but who knows what Rychel will think.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I imagine the cup is going to Barrie. Optics would be horrible if Branch announced London got the cup in Barrie, he could have just had the announcement tomorrow if that's the case.

Fluff I guess you can make your decision on tickets Monday then. Hopefully this is the impetus for a full blown rebuild starting as soon as the trade window opens up but who knows what Rychel will think.
You're probably right Razor but then Wee Davie defies logic often when making decisions

As for a full blown rebuild I'm in complete agreement that it should be a priority but I'm thinking it won't start in earnest until the Import draft is over and they get commitments from their picks & possibly past US picks (wouldn't want to scare anybody off).

Old
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
RayzorIsDull

OHL announced they are delaying the announcement until after the OHL final. Then they say the committee is just looking over final details and hadn't made a decision. They were ready to make a decision on Monday and now it's being postponed. Sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing but par for the course in the OHL recently.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Jackman

Quote:
I hope they announce the winner ASAP. We have to decide if we are getting the season tickets or not.
Based on this quote from Branch in today's London Free Press regarding the postponement of the decision, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Windsor isn't in the running anymore......

“We don't want one team to gain a psychological edge over the other in the final,” Branch said. “That's what we want to avoid. We're trying to protect the integrity of the game and our championship series.”

Old
05-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Ottomatic

^Ha! Yeah, Windsor is out.

Also it's not about psychological edge, it's Branch doesn't want to risk facing a hostile home crowd awarding the league championship if the other team got the hosting gig.

Why was it held off in 2010? Everybody knew Barrie wasn't getting it, that it was Windsor or Mississauga then. Branch just didn't want to get booed out of the building in Windsor - he's a coward.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^Ha! Yeah, Windsor is out.

Also it's not about psychological edge, it's Branch doesn't want to risk facing a hostile home crowd awarding the league championship if the other team got the hosting gig.

Why was it held off in 2010? Everybody knew Barrie wasn't getting it, that it was Windsor or Mississauga then. Branch just didn't want to get booed out of the building in Windsor - he's a coward.
Mr. Branch isn't always the smartest guy but of course the 20 other owners like the job he's doing. It tells me more about the 20 owners than it does about Branch himself.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
OHLTG

I'm going out on a limb here, but...

Could he be avoiding it so that if he announces Windsor, he doesn't get booed out of either rink? Imagine he announces that it's Windsor, and two days later (or whatever amt of time), he has to present a title trophy in either city?

Old
05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm going out on a limb here, but...

Could he be avoiding it so that if he announces Windsor, he doesn't get booed out of either rink? Imagine he announces that it's Windsor, and two days later (or whatever amt of time), he has to present a title trophy in either city?
Nobody would care then. One team will certainly like him because in 10 days or so he will be awarding the OHL championship to one of them.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Don't you just get your season's anyway. Shouldn't matter what Mem Cup bid is.

Is Windsor giving priority for Mem Cup seats to season holders ?

Old
05-02-2013, 07:42 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Don't you just get your season's anyway. Shouldn't matter what Mem Cup bid is.

My father and I saw enough bad hockey this year. Not because of lack of talent but because of lack of effort and direction.

If they keep the old and lazy until the deadline then put them up for auction, we will be out. If they start with an honest effort to rebuild, we are there in a moment, regardless of the talent level.

I guess you could say we have no use for selfish and lazy players but would jump at a chance to see a young hard working team start to grow. It would also depend on who they keep as leaders for the youngsters. Rychel, Ebert and Marchese back would dissuade us from renewing as well.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:52 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Nobody would care then. One team will certainly like him because in 10 days or so he will be awarding the OHL championship to one of them.
If you're Branch, do you walk into Barrie or London, full of fans who know they could get the Cup, and say "the OHL has awarded the 2014 Memorial Cup to...the Windsor Spitfires"? No. You can't tell me nobody would care. That's like Branch walking into Windsor during the 2010 playoffs and announcing Mississauga. They weren't in the series, but you'd have had a riot on your hands.

Quote:
I'd imagine you'd get first dibs on your seats, yeah.

Fluffy - You're going to have those three back, barring some weird situation. Ebert is valued really low right now, Rychel is Rychel, and Marchese couldn't be dealt at the deadline for anything.

Closed Thread