HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Phil Kessel hurt?

Old
05-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Alflives*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Kessel went to the net once. Chara was on the opposite side at that point. He had one shot, was not skating. He is Terrified of Boston. There is no other way to look at it. Look at the stats. Watch closely how Ambitious Kessel is against the Bruins? There is no ambition, its quitting in my eyes. He turns the puck over concentrating on not getting hit hard, he is in survival mode. U go to hit Kessel and the puck to him becomes secondary. Hit him take the puck and the battle is over. Its very disappointing to watching him be a shadow on himself when he is intimidated.

Like I said here months ago. Krecji was quoted after the Kessel trade as saying "Kessel quits when u play him physical" that stuck with me and has showed itself to be true, When I watch.
Maybe the Leafs' "Jokers" need to get a little pay-back, and target Bergeron and Seguin? The problem is the Bruins' "Jokers" have more skill, and play important minutes. The Leafs need to play these "wild cards" more, while there still is a series.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:36 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
And calling him a 'quitter' and 'the softest player in the league'? The guy hasn't missed a game in 3 years and has scored the fourth (4th) most points of ANY player in the NHL over the last two seasons. Does this sound like a 'quitter' or a soft player?

Give credit to Chara, but don't hate on Kessel. He's a major, and I mean major, reason that the Leafs are in the playoffs today.
That is how u define tough? How many games in a row he has played. Go look at how many body checks Kessel throws during the course of an 82 game schedule...He averages 10 hits PER SEASON. Komarov will reach that in 1 game. U get my point yet?

I dont hate Kessel, Im just calling it like I see it. He loses all ambition against the Bruins and avoids hitting and skating. To me he is SCARED beyond belief and yes I do think he quits/gives up against the Bruins.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Meat Hammer
Goin' Deep

Everyone but Kessel roasts Chara on the regular. Why do you think the guy has never won the Norris, let alone even be in consideration

Meat Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
I Like You
Didact is MIA maggot

Quote:
That is how u define tough? How many games in a row he has played. Go look at how many body checks Kessel throws during the course of an 82 game schedule...He averages 10 hits PER SEASON. Komarov will reach that in 1 game. U get my point yet?

I dont hate Kessel, Im just calling it like I see it. He loses all ambition against the Bruins and avoids hitting and skating. To me he is SCARED beyond belief and yes I do think he quits/gives up against the Bruins.
he used his speed to drive the net past Seidenberg and Chara on that shift and got hit on his wrist.

I Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:45 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLongR0D View Post
Everyone but Kessel roasts Chara on the regular. Why do you think the guy has never won the Norris, let alone even be in consideration

I think your missing the point. I am shocked that some Leaf fans who I assume watch 70+ games a year?? Dont see Kessel compete level against the Bruins drop off significantly.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:46 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
he used his speed to drive the net past Seidenberg and Chara on that shift and got hit on his wrist.
Ya the one time that Chara was not in front of him, he went all out. Coincedence? What happened the rest of the night? Ill tell u , Kessel gets the puck, see's Chara and loses any ambition to " GO AT HIM". Why not try and constantly try and beat him wide or cut in. The more moves u make the less aggressive Chara will be, u gotta keep him honest as u can. Chara is the best Dman I get that. Just go at him, try and compete. Thats all I want to see. If the results are not there, at least he tried. I dont see him trying against the Bruins. He looks Terrified as much as that pains me to say it. He is scared.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
smitty10

Quote:

The word 'toughness' is very subjective. Just because body checking somebody defines toughness to you, doesn't mean that you're correct. What's not tough about being able to avoid injury and succeed in an environment that one normally would fail? Especially being Kessel's size and thriving against massive players who routinely try to destroy him with hits. And even when he is hit hard, he bounces right back up and keeps playing.

Is that not 'tough' enough for you?

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Alflives*

vCash:
Quote:
Ya the one time that Chara was not in front of him, he went all out. Coincedence? What happened the rest of the night? Ill tell u , Kessel gets the puck, see's Chara and loses any ambition to " GO AT HIM". Why not try and constantly try and beat him wide or cut in. The more moves u make the less aggressive Chara will be, u gotta keep him honest as u can. Chara is the best Dman I get that. Just go at him, try and compete. Thats all I want to see. If the results are not there, at least he tried. I dont see him trying against the Bruins. He looks Terrified as much as that pains me to say it. He is scared.
Like I typed before. A Leafs' "Joker" needs to step up, and take on Chara. It's time for a "wild card".

Old
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Conan

watch Kessel show up for game 3 in ACC when boston cant match lines

Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
smitty10

Quote:
He can't even take a step with the puck because of Chara's massive wingspan. The guy can reach Kessel from around 12 feet away. How is he supposed to 'go at him' when he gets the puck knocked away from him every time he touches it? You're making it sound like he can't figure out how to get passed Chara, and everyone else in the world has. There's a reason that Chara shuts down the worlds best players on a consistent basis.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
He can't even take a step with the puck because of Chara's massive wingspan. The guy can reach Kessel from around 12 feet away. How is he supposed to 'go at him' when he gets the puck knocked away from him every time he touches it? You're making it sound like he can't figure out how to get passed Chara, and everyone else in the world has. There's a reason that Chara shuts down the worlds best players on a consistent basis.
Lets not make it like Chara never gets beat one on one. Smaller guys with excellent feet, at least give him some trouble. Kessel is not going at him at all. Even dump it and go after the puck, he will not do that either because he will not absorb a hit to make a play.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Are u kidding me????????????? He is scared out of his mind.
I think you need more question marks.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
The word 'toughness' is very subjective. Just because body checking somebody defines toughness to you, doesn't mean that you're correct. What's not tough about being able to avoid injury and succeed in an environment that one normally would fail? Especially being Kessel's size and thriving against massive players who routinely try to destroy him with hits. And even when he is hit hard, he bounces right back up and keeps playing.

Is that not 'tough' enough for you?
Checking is part of it. More importantly is compete level, thats a sign of mental toughness. U pressure Kessel and the puck is secondary to Kessel, he is focused on avoiding the big hit and thus the puck is there for the taking. It happens over and over again.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Like I typed before. A Leafs' "Joker" needs to step up, and take on Chara. It's time for a "wild card".
I would play Orr (or McLaren) on a line with Kessel. Their only assignment would be to harass and hit Chara for as long as he's on the ice. Chara needs to be distracted so that Kessel has more room and less Chara!

Al14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I would play Orr (or McLaren) on a line with Kessel. Their only assignment would be to harass and hit Chara for as long as he's on the ice. Chara needs to be distracted so that Kessel has more room and less Chara!
I really like that idea of someone going after Chara and making him work, distracting him or keeping him busy, freeing up some of our top talent. Problem is that Orr or Mclaren dont have enough talent to play on that line. What they would give u in the corners or in front of the net, probably will not make up for the lack of D zone coverage or the feet to keep up with other top line forwards. U need a Lucic type of skill and physical style to distract Chara. Those guys dont grow on tree's though. I hope Tyler Biggs can become that.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Al14

Quote:
Checking is part of it. More importantly is compete level, thats a sign of mental toughness. U pressure Kessel and the puck is secondary to Kessel, he is focused on avoiding the big hit and thus the puck is there for the taking. It happens over and over again.
It's funny how many times he can't handle a pass when he sees a big hit coming. He's a really skilled player until he thinks a body check is imminent.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
It's funny how many times he can't handle a pass when he sees a big hit coming. He's a really skilled player until he thinks a body check is imminent.
Its so frustrating to witness this. Pressure him and he panics and avoids a hit at all costs, turns the puck over and doesnt fight back. Thats exactly what I see as well. Half the people on this thread do not see that. Its clearly happening though.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Meat Hammer
Goin' Deep

Quote:
I think your missing the point. I am shocked that some Leaf fans who I assume watch 70+ games a year?? Dont see Kessel compete level against the Bruins drop off significantly.
He looks invisible against Boston because he has no time or space when he does get the puck. Half the time nobody is capable of completing a pass to him because of Charas very long reach and active stick. I can admit he looks disheartened by the time the game is either out of hand or nearing the end of the game when he just hasn't been able to get anything going. They need to find him a way of getting more space on the ice. The one time he had a little room, he nearly blew the doors off Chara and generated a pretty good scoring chance. The problem is, Chara is always on his side of the ice so as soon as he touches the puck he is all over him. Chara pinches ALOT when Kessel is on the ice because he knows he can impose his will on him due to the size difference. It's not about Phil being disinterested, It's about Phil being completely neutralized.

Meat Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Al14

Quote:
I really like that idea of someone going after Chara and making him work, distracting him or keeping him busy, freeing up some of our top talent. Problem is that Orr or Mclaren dont have enough talent to play on that line. What they would give u in the corners or in front of the net, probably will not make up for the lack of D zone coverage or the feet to keep up with other top line forwards. U need a Lucic type of skill and physical style to distract Chara. Those guys dont grow on tree's though. I hope Tyler Biggs can become that.
And, Dave Semenko had the talent to play with Gretzky?

I would still let Orr play with Kessel, with his sole responsibility to shadow and play physical against Chara. Chara would have to go through Orr to get to Kessel! I really think it might work.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Ari91

Kessel was playing with an injured wrist last year and that was after the Leafs were mathematically eliminated from playoffs. If it ain't broke, I don't think Kessel chooses to miss a game.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

From TSN

Sitting out

The Toronto Maple Leafs practiced Thursday without star forward Phil Kessel and defencemen Mike Kostka and Cody Franson. Kostka has suffered a broken bone in his finger and is expected to be out indefinitely. According to a tweet from the Maple Leafs' official Twitter account Franson has a bruised foot and Kessel took a maintenance day. Full Story.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
And, Dave Semenko had the talent to play with Gretzky?

I would still let Orr play with Kessel, with his sole responsibility to shadow and play physical against Chara. Chara would have to go through Orr to get to Kessel! I really think it might work.
Excellent point. MCsorley as well.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Derek Synak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
From TSN

Sitting out

The Toronto Maple Leafs practiced Thursday without star forward Phil Kessel and defencemen Mike Kostka and Cody Franson. Kostka has suffered a broken bone in his finger and is expected to be out indefinitely. According to a tweet from the Maple Leafs' official Twitter account Franson has a bruised foot and Kessel took a maintenance day. Full Story.
There really is a Hockey God!!!

Derek Synak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:14 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Kessel was playing with an injured wrist last year and that was after the Leafs were mathematically eliminated from playoffs. If it ain't broke, I don't think Kessel chooses to miss a game.
Was he injured for the other 22 games against the Bruins? This is the Kessel u get vs the Bruins. Kessel is in Survival mode, avoiding contact and staying away from Chara at all costs. Against the Bruins he looks like a Ricard Wallin.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Derek Synak

Quote:
Was he injured for the other 22 games against the Bruins? This is the Kessel u get vs the Bruins. Kessel is in Survival mode, avoiding contact and staying away from Chara at all costs. Against the Bruins he looks like a Ricard Wallin.
It's all psychological for him, it happens to players where goalies or teams get into their head. He has no confidence against them.

Derek Synak is offline   Reply With Quote