Old
05-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I hear you, Grind.

But if any team was to take a 'win now' approach, it would be the flyers. Going to the finals in 2010, and then not reaching the playoffs this year, seems to indicate the flyers will be making moves.

I'd expect Bryz and Briere to be buy outs. And Pronger on long-term ir, that frees up some cap space.

Would they move Schenn? Maybe not, but that would be a guy I would target, if I was Chevy. Greater chance he's available than Simmonds or Voracek- even if that chance is remote.
Flyers would still have Giroux, Couturier, Talbot, Rinaldo, Laughton - as C options, which isn't that great (after Giroux). Maybe a C (Slater, Gagnon, or Cormier) would need to go the other way, or they grab one in off-season.

Will be interesting to see moves that are made.

Fair that he's probably more available then voracek or simmonds, but i think the flyers would be more likely to move one of the younger centers you mentioned (couturier or Laughton) then Schenn. Also, that center core is hardly awe inspiring. If they do buy out brier, no chance they move Schenn, as your immediately thrusting either a very unproven young center, or a career third liner into the top 6 center role.

Just think it's likely a pipedream, especailly for a team thats historically been pretty top heavy in its top six offense (at least recently)

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Fair that he's probably more available then voracek or simmonds, but i think the flyers would be more likely to move one of the younger centers you mentioned (couturier or Laughton) then Schenn. Also, that center core is hardly awe inspiring. If they do buy out brier, no chance they move Schenn, as your immediately thrusting either a very unproven young center, or a career third liner into the top 6 center role.

Just think it's likely a pipedream, especailly for a team thats historically been pretty top heavy in its top six offense (at least recently)
Schenn really struggled in his 2nd year with the flyers statistically. After a slow Jan (2 assists in 6 gms), he was vgood in Feb (16 pts in 15 gms). Very solid #2 center.

Then, March came along, and he struggled. Was a -12 in 13 gms, with only 3 assists. April was a bit better 5 pts in 13 gms. Flyers could have used a more productive 2nd line C, much like the Jets.

So, are the Flyers wondering about Schenn? Maybe. Though with that inconsistent production, he might not be what the Jets need, either. .

Live and die with inconsistent young players. Until they mature. Hopefully they grow out of it.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Schenn really struggled in his 2nd year with the flyers statistically. After a slow Jan (2 assists in 6 gms), he was vgood in Feb (16 pts in 15 gms). Very solid #2 center.

Then, March came along, and he struggled. Was a -12 in 13 gms, with only 3 assists. April was a bit better 5 pts in 13 gms. Flyers could have used a more productive 2nd line C, much like the Jets.

So, are the Flyers wondering about Schenn? Maybe. Though with that inconsistent production, he might not be what the Jets need, either. .

Live and die with inconsistent young players. Until they mature. Hopefully they grow out of it.

I don't disagree with any of that, I just don't see how they nmove both brier and schenn. the fact that he was able to continue playing top six despite their troubles is telling about how much faith they had about other options. And again yah, if it's a problem for them, it's a problem for us.

also: schenn got the minutes, took strong competition, and produced more pp/60 toi then any of their other centers 5v5. If the Flyers have questions about Schenn, I have questions about who's asking the questions in Philadelphia.

I don't see hwo you move your second best center hsitorically (brier) and your second best center the year prior (schenn) in the same offseason without a plan. Maybe fans have questions about Schenn, but i highly doubt philly's GM does.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I don't disagree with any of that, I just don't see how they nmove both brier and schenn. the fact that he was able to continue playing top six despite their troubles is telling about how much faith they had about other options. And again yah, if it's a problem for them, it's a problem for us.

also: schenn got the minutes, took strong competition, and produced more pp/60 toi then any of their other centers 5v5. If the Flyers have questions about Schenn, I have questions about who's asking the questions in Philadelphia.

I don't see hwo you move your second best center hsitorically (brier) and your second best center the year prior (schenn) in the same offseason without a plan. Maybe fans have questions about Schenn, but i highly doubt philly's GM does.
Ya, IF a young center is moved, they would need a back-up plan - like signing Wiess, or making another deal for a center, that is an upgrade on Schenn.

Flyers might also like how their two young centers match up against Pitt - Schenn/Crosby, Couturier/Malkin - boy that was fun last year. Unless you were a Pens fan.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:45 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstoffel93 View Post
I disagree with you here. It seems to me it is the perfect time to now start building this team into a powerful contender. We have a handful of players in there prime. A core group of young players that are ready to shine (kane, bogo , schief, trouba). I don't see why you wouldn't want to wait on adding to this lineup.
How? Nobody big name free agents will sign with the Jets until they're considered cup favorites and outside of the players you named there is nobody of value we could trade.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:04 PM
roosemoose

If Chevy would make a deal for Braydon Schenn that would mean Luke would have to be part of that deal as well. They are a total package deal and would make sense to keep them together.....I really don't see it happening but do think it makes sense and would be a good fit on a young roster.

roosemoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:58 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosemoose View Post
If Chevy would make a deal for Braydon Schenn that would mean Luke would have to be part of that deal as well. They are a total package deal and would make sense to keep them together.....I really don't see it happening but do think it makes sense and would be a good fit on a young roster.
By all accounts Luke had a very good year on the top pairing with Timonen. People are kidding themselves if they think they are landing a young number 2 centre with upside and a young top pairing D man in a package deal. Philly is already hurting on D so this doesn't happen.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
By all accounts Luke had a very good year on the top pairing with Timonen. People are kidding themselves if they think they are landing a young number 2 centre with upside and a young top pairing D man in a package deal. Philly is already hurting on D so this doesn't happen.
Ya, if the Schenn's are a package deal, then would be next to impossible to pry them out of Philly.

I guess that just leaves Giroux. .

Still think the Jets try to pry Stafford out of Buffalo, with Burmi and pick (or prospect).

Old
05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Ya, if the Schenn's are a package deal, then would be next to impossible to pry them out of Philly.

I guess that just leaves Giroux. .

Still think the Jets try to pry Stafford out of Buffalo, with Burmi and pick (or prospect).
Buffalo had better be adding significantly to that lol.

Anyone else find it weird that Chevy hasn't started negotiating yet? Seems like something they should have started already.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:08 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Buffalo had better be adding significantly to that lol.

Anyone else find it weird that Chevy hasn't started negotiating yet?
Seems like something they should have started already.
Yup. I was hoping they'd at least have Bogosian signed by now but I suppose like all negotiations it depends on how far apart the concerned parties are.

He has a ton on his plate though between all the RFAs and UFAs.

buggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Huffer

I am hoping that Chevy can get the guys he wants resigned done as quick as possible, as that will give him an idea as to where he sits in regards to cap, but I didn't think it would be this quick. He might also be going over to watch Trouba in the WC, and/or Scheifele in the OHL playoffs.

My hope was that he would have guys like Bogo, Little, and Wheeler signed by the draft.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I am hoping that Chevy can get the guys he wants resigned done as quick as possible, as that will give him an idea as to where he sits in regards to cap, but I didn't think it would be this quick. He might also be going over to watch Trouba in the WC, and/or Scheifele in the OHL playoffs.

My hope was that he would have guys like Bogo, Little, and Wheeler signed by the draft.
I hope you're right, Huffer but I get the sense these negotiations will take more time.

I don't think any of the 'big three', will be quick, just because it may be difficult to determine dollars and term. Especially for Bogo. Is he the max 8 year deal, or something shorter - like 4 or 5? Is he <$5 mill/yr cap hit or closer to $5.75+ mill/yr cap hit.

The same can be said for Wheeler and Little. Their dollars might be somewhat easier to determine, but what term to you go with, for them? Would they want a 4 year deal? Longer? Where are the Jets leaning?

They seem to be more of a Kane (drawn out) deal, than a Pavy or Enstrom (relatively quick) deal.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
sully1410

I'm not expecting them signed or anything, but it's odd that he hasn't even started yet. If be having talks all season long with these guys.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Son of Soren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'm not expecting them signed or anything, but it's odd that he hasn't even started yet. If be having talks all season long with these guys.
First post so feel free to ignore.... But as much as its going to kill me over the summer to wait, I'd suggest he take a long time to get it done.

With the cap dropping and the vast majority of old contracts remaining in place, we will have a typical number of free agents competing over less available $$$$. There may be a short term drop in contract prices as a result and I'm sure they want some of these lower comparables to show up before they start negotiating.

I personally expect a quiet summer from most teams and a flurry at the end.

Son of Soren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Soren View Post
First post so feel free to ignore.... But as much as its going to kill me over the summer to wait, I'd suggest he take a long time to get it done.

With the cap dropping and the vast majority of old contracts remaining in place, we will have a typical number of free agents competing over less available $$$$. There may be a short term drop in contract prices as a result and I'm sure they want some of these lower comparables to show up before they start negotiating.

I personally expect a quiet summer from most teams and a flurry at the end.
Good first post!

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:46 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I'm pretty sure that exact strategy bit a few teams in the ass last time around.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote