HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Andrew Ference Elbow (UPD: 1 Game Suspension)

Old
05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
My main issue with this is how is this not even a penalty?
It was a quick elbow, and easy to miss.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Posted this on the Stanley Cup board.

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Funny thing is, Ference would have had just as likely a result from a clean, stiff shoulder. He really didn't need to raise his elbow like that. Grabs wasn't watching to be hit. He could have went shoulder to shoulder and destroyed him more. His whole body would've been jarred, and likely had that whiplash like effect of his rubber neck.

Even if it didn't concuss Grabs, it would have rag dolled him and sent him flying, furthering the Bruins excitement. Too bad, and thanks for clearing the cobwebs from Grabs head. He should (and did) play better now.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Funny thing is, Ference would have had just as likely a result from a clean, stiff shoulder. He really didn't need to raise his elbow like that. Grabs wasn't watching to be hit. He could have went shoulder to shoulder and destroyed him more. His whole body would've been jarred, and likely had that whiplash like effect of his rubber neck.

Even if it didn't concuss Grabs, it would have rag dolled him and sent him flying, furthering the Bruins excitement. Too bad, and thanks for clearing the cobwebs from Grabs head. He should (and did) play better now.
Wouldn't an elbow to the head be as illegal?

edit: Shoulder. I meant shoulder

Last edited by PricePkPatch: 05-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Wouldn't an elbow to the head be as illegal?
It is illegal. That's my point. Look at the blown up pic above and imagine if Ference would've just put his shoulder into Grabs chest. It would've destroyed him, and been clean. But his idiocy will likely cost him at least a game, and it woke up Grabs. Although it could've severely hurt him.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:11 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
It is illegal. That's my point. Look at the blown up pic above and imagine if Ference would've just put his shoulder into Grabs chest. It would've destroyed him, and been clean. But his idiocy will likely cost him at least a game, and it woke up Grabs. Although it could've severely hurt him.
Sorry. Brainfart lapsus. I meant "wouldn't a shoulder still be illegal"; be a headshot?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:17 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Sorry. Brainfart lapsus. I meant "wouldn't a shoulder still be illegal"; be a headshot?
Any principal point of contact to the head would be, I believe. That's why I think shoulder to chest/shoulder would've been clean, and also more effective.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Actually if Ference is as oblivious to the cheapness and dirtiness that this was, as he pretended to be in the post-game interview, I think he should get an extra game or 2. If you're pulling this kind of crap in a game and not even conscious of it then the reprecussion should be even more.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
Actually if Ference is as oblivious to the cheapness and dirtiness that this was, as he pretended to be in the post-game interview, I think he should get an extra game or 2. If you're pulling this kind of crap in a game and not even conscious of it then the reprecussion should be even more.
Exactly. But just because of that, I would rather have him not suspended, play in front of his home crowd and have Mclaren smash his face in front of his home crowd with a dirtier elbow.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
Exactly. But just because of that, I would rather have him not suspended, play in front of his home crowd and have Mclaren smash his face in front of his home crowd with a dirtier elbow.
Thing is Ference is actually a pretty good player, I've always liked him since his days on the Flickers. That said I'd rather see someone just pound him with some legal hits and/or fight then a dirty/cheap elbow like he did. He needs to be suspended but as I said in an earlier post I doubt the Leaf Hating Shanaban does anything other than flap his lips to the beat of bovine excrement.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
KuleminFan41

Lets hope guys that this turns out to be the same as when Alfredsson hit Tucker from behind and no call was made . At least we can hope for that

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Note #Bruins Ference is viewed repeat offender. Last one was Jan 2012. Repeat status not specific to incident type so he's treated as one.

We shall see.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Repeat offenders need to be treated FAR more harshly IMO. If its a second offense, your suspension should be doubled, if it's a third time then tripled, etc. if you've been to as many of these things as Ference you need to take a long break and think about if you want to play in the NHL or some second rate league. You can't finger the crowd or go around elbowing people in the face. For anyone that hasn't seen, go check out his hit against halpern from the ecqf game 7.

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
N4Z3M LUPUL

2-3 games, thats what it should be.

just because he's ignorant as ****, and hes a god damn ****ing idiot. It pisses me off when you can hurt a player, and go "oh i had no clue" no respect for other players. If that was someone on our team, or any other team, they would have said " it was nice to see he didnt get hurt" or whatever

N4Z3M LUPUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
leafstilldeath
#BlowItUp #PlayKids

Lupul got two games and he is not even known to be that kind of player. Nash walks free. Now is the time for the NHL to redeem itself and suspend that POS Ference

leafstilldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:17 PM
daner

Right when I saw the replay of the hit I thought about his blindside hit to Halpern in the playoffs a few years back. Somehow got away with it then (Thanks Colin Campbell??), hopefully he doesn't this time. Not that losing Ference makes a huge deal, but its just the principal of it all. IMO this is maybe about the same degree of hit as Lupul, therefore 2 games you would think, then add in that he is considered a repeat offender. Hopefully Shanahan can do the math.

Edit: I have also heard directly from Shanahan's mouth that playoffs should not be a reason to reduce a suspension. Lets see.

daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Any updates?

05-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daner View Post
Right when I saw the replay of the hit I thought about his blindside hit to Halpern in the playoffs a few years back. Somehow got away with it then (Thanks Colin Campbell??), hopefully he doesn't this time. Not that losing Ference makes a huge deal, but its just the principal of it all. IMO this is maybe about the same degree of hit as Lupul, therefore 2 games you would think, then add in that he is considered a repeat offender. Hopefully Shanahan can do the math.

Edit: I have also heard directly from Shanahan's mouth that playoffs should not be a reason to reduce a suspension. Lets see.
I have no faith that Shanahan will do the right thing. How can he? It's the Bruins and Campbell junior's team!!!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Repeat offenders need to be treated FAR more harshly IMO. If its a second offense, your suspension should be doubled, if it's a third time then tripled, etc. if you've been to as many of these things as Ference you need to take a long break and think about if you want to play in the NHL or some second rate league. You can't finger the crowd or go around elbowing people in the face. For anyone that hasn't seen, go check out his hit against halpern from the ecqf game 7.
Cheeky

All jokes aside, however, this is a suspension. One game, max 2. He's a repeat, so I can see 2, but Grabo wasn't hurt, and that will be taken into consideration.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
The Missing Piece
What's Left?

The hearing was supposed to be at 2 pm what's the deal!

The Missing Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Missing Piece View Post
The hearing was supposed to be at 2 pm what's the deal!
No suspension. It takes more time to develop the COVER story!

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:39 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

He's putting together a lengthy video to convince the easily convinced fans that it was incidental and unintentional

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:40 PM
KuleminFan41

Near 5:00 and still nothing eh? Why does it feel like no suspension is going to happen even more so now

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:42 PM
thewave

If its not deemed an offense it's a black mark on his office and staff, was blatant really.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:55 PM
The Missing Piece
What's Left?

Shannabans decision process

The Missing Piece is offline   Reply With Quote