HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Superstar Shane

vCash: 500
I'm guessing this is probably a pretty common question around here, but bear with me a minute. I've just started skating about 3 months ago. Typically one day a week for about an hour to an hour and a half. What I'm trying to figure out is how often I need to have my skates sharpened. I'm still very much in the beginner stage of my skating, so I assume I'm probably not putting a ton of wear on them. In case it's relevant, I have a pair of Nexus 400's.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Frankie Spankie

I've always sharpened them every 4 hours or so from when I first started skating to now all these years later.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:10 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Shane View Post
I'm guessing this is probably a pretty common question around here, but bear with me a minute. I've just started skating about 3 months ago. Typically one day a week for about an hour to an hour and a half. What I'm trying to figure out is how often I need to have my skates sharpened. I'm still very much in the beginner stage of my skating, so I assume I'm probably not putting a ton of wear on them. In case it's relevant, I have a pair of Nexus 400's.
You only should get them sharpened when you can tell they're dull and that it feels off. To me, using mostly high end Bauer skates, it's probably once per 8 hour of ice time. But I am a heavy skater and prefer a duller blade/shallow hollow.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:30 PM
backhander

Looking for some input.

Currently skating in X60s pro stock 7.5 CAA prior skate was XXXX pro stock 7 1/4 DA.

Both skates fit well. I'm looking at getting APXs due to the new release of the APX2. I've tried on the retail 7.0 and 7.5 Ds. I probably would side with the tighter fitting 7.0 D...toes just touch the toe cap without a bake.

I am not in immediate need of new skates and would like to find some pro stock APX 7.0 to 7.5 CAAs, but I think I may be fine with the retail skate.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:22 PM
AIREAYE

You should understand that pro stock could mean anything from a fully custom boot with a custom fit for someone else's foot to simply a retail skate. The same advice of getting the best fit still hold true. Try on other skates other than Vapor.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:08 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You should understand that pro stock could mean anything from a fully custom boot with a custom fit for someone else's foot to simply a retail skate. The same advice of getting the best fit still hold true. Try on other skates other than Vapor.
Obviously good point re pro stock, can't argue with you there. Thanks.

- I definitely know I want to stay with Bauer's and the Vapor line...I've tried on other skates and have been in vapors for quite a few years now.

I guess additional info from anyone who may know...would be, going from a 7.5 C width X60 to 7.0 D APX, would anyone see much difference in their opinion?

Obviously, trying them on is one thing (I've done that). Just looking for further insight if it's out there. thx

Old
04-27-2013, 09:34 PM
mistrhanky

I use a pretty shallow cut...5/8. I find I have to sharpen a lot more frequently. Is that normal for a shallower cut?

Old
04-27-2013, 11:45 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhander View Post
Obviously good point re pro stock, can't argue with you there. Thanks.

- I definitely know I want to stay with Bauer's and the Vapor line...I've tried on other skates and have been in vapors for quite a few years now.

I guess additional info from anyone who may know...would be, going from a 7.5 C width X60 to 7.0 D APX, would anyone see much difference in their opinion?

Obviously, trying them on is one thing (I've done that). Just looking for further insight if it's out there. thx
A D Vapor in retail is about as narrow as you can go, so I would look there for sure and among the higher end models (APX, 7.0, 6.0). If you feel even that is too narrow, I would explore Graf or even Mako before considering custom for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I use a pretty shallow cut...5/8. I find I have to sharpen a lot more frequently. Is that normal for a shallower cut?
No, other factors would come into play before cut should and 5/8 isn't particularly shallow. Quality of steel, abnormal wear and tear, mental factors etc.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:07 PM
mistrhanky

Interesting day with a ray of hope mixed in. My ginormous feet(size15-16 shoe size) have been a running(pardon the pun) problem for me as skates and skate parts are very difficult to find. I am in a pair of 14 skates now, and have had a few issues with blades bending. I was having them straightended today and the pro shop guy pointed out something to me. He pulled the footbeds out and showed me how the wear points on the toes were coming up well short of the end of the footpad. In other words, depending on boot, I may be wearing a boot to large. If I could get down to a 12.5 or 13 in a boot, there is a much better chance of finding a better vendor with skates in my size at a better price. So, now I get to look into those which is pretty exciting in my book.

All of that comes around to another question. My current skates are pretty much bricks with blades. Does anyone know of a chart anywhere that lists the weight of skates from different companies?

Old
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
AIREAYE

Weight shouldn't be a concern if you go with the big brands, focus on fit first before weight. most sites measure a size 8 skate, while you require a size much larger than that, so there isn't much to compare.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
mistrhanky

Good point. Fit is definitely my first priority. My current skates way approx 2.5lbs a piece... so anything is likely to be much better. Everyone seems to be huge bauer fans... but Easton may offer my more size options. Is there any particular knock against Easton?

Old
04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
AIREAYE

Their earlier models had significant durability issues but their recent ones are great.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:24 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Their earlier models had significant durability issues but their recent ones are great.
Be careful, I've heard bad stories on the Mako in a hockey shoppe or two...

Old
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
Be careful, I've heard bad stories on the Mako in a hockey shoppe or two...
We've had zero issues with the Mako. The only people I've heard bashing them are blind fanboys of other skates, those that do not really understand the Mako and the benefits of the design, or those that havent actually tried them.

Please dont spread poor rumors.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
mistrhanky

I was looking for something more in line with the EQ50. Any thoughts on that one?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:08 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Quote:
I was looking for something more in line with the EQ50. Any thoughts on that one?
I've tried the CCM U+s, and quite enjoyed them, but they're a bit more in price (like 100 bones more).

I just tried the Reeboks, and despised them.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
We've had zero issues with the Mako. The only people I've heard bashing them are blind fanboys of other skates, those that do not really understand the Mako and the benefits of the design, or those that havent actually tried them.

This.

Quote:
Great high end skate that can be had for a good price on clearance. If you're coming off of an EQ50, I would go out of my way to try Supreme or Stealth.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
mistrhanky

Sounds like it might be worth buying(EQ50) and returning if it does not fit then. The prices are pretty good on them it seems. $229.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah, I would make sure that I completely understood the store's return policy first though.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post

It's definitely not a rumor, I was talking about it to a friend of mine who's an assistant manager in a shoppe last week.

Last edited by Jarick: 05-03-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: bickering
Old
05-01-2013, 09:00 PM
AIREAYE

You have nothing constructive to say other than you heard it from a friend while making vague stabs at something that has shown to work well for most people who have actually had it and have tried it, used it or sold it.

Feedback and opinion is welcome and encouraged, but there has to be something behind it.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
SacredPetra

I'm going to try on new skates next week. My current skates came with the black superfeet insoles, and I really like how my current skates fit. Should I use the insoles when I try on skates or should I try the skates on without them?

Old
05-01-2013, 11:53 PM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
You have nothing constructive to say other than you heard it from a friend while making vague stabs at something that has shown to work well for most people who have actually had it and have tried it, used it or sold it.

Feedback and opinion is welcome and encouraged, but there has to be something behind it.
I'm not saying the Mako is a terrible skate overall, but it apparently does not match up to the top end Bauer offerings in durability, from what I can gather, at this point in time. The reality with a skate that has only been released for a number of months is that the jury is at least, in part, still out.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:45 AM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
I don't know why you're getting so agitated and defensive. You still have not shown us anything that would be considered a valid or informative opinion on why you think the Mako has durability concerns.
Two specific complaints were that the boot was coming apart after a few weeks and another guy had major issues with his runner and holder. I don't know if it was stripped, warped or what, but dude was trying to get support from Easton on the problem and apparently would've had better luck suing Bernie Madoff to recover his lost investment.

My experience is mostly in Bauer skates, but I had a teammate who loved his S17s. I'm just telling people some of what I've heard first hand, not based on internet stories. People should have a reasonable variety of unbiased perspectives on a product before dumping $800+ on it.

Last edited by Jarick: 05-03-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: bickering
Old
05-02-2013, 04:14 PM
ccarrigan

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I would LOVE some help finding some skates that finally fit my feet properly. Here's a little about me:

5'11", maybe 220. Play 3-5 times a week at C or a bit higher level. Currently wear D width CCM U+ 10.

The issues:

Forefoot is too small, if I lace the first 3 laces tight at ALL my toes bunch and cramp my foot. Midfoot I can't crank down on as my foot is too tall and it cuts off circulation. I have to crank down on the top of the skates due to my skinny ankles and I think the only thing preventing lace bite is the nice tongue. (my ankles are different sizes because of a previous hockey injury but a baking should help that)

We don't have any great stores here in Columbus Ohio so before I went out or ordered online I wanted to see what my next options should be. I was looking at the Nexus 800s, but I'm up for any suggestions.

Closed Thread