HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 02:49 PM
  #76
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Should he skate backward and pass it instead?

I don't follow.
Maybe I should have been more clear. I meant when he's near the blueline. Most defensemen will skate away/retreat or look to pass. A guy attacks him near the blue line, he dodges, and comes right at the netminder and wrists it. I could see this attack offense being excited by that (Lavi)-- a guy who when pressured will drive the puck up the slot from the blueline instead of dumping it deep, or giving possession to another guy on the unit. Just going by the videos I've seen.

Flyers could use a guy like that-- they get killed by aggressive PK units and score in droves against "sit back and collapse" box philosophies. The Flyer's PP is designed to defeat that-- they wheel the puck around until someone can one time it (Hartnell/Giroux) from the circles or point, then if it doesn't go in, a big forward looks for the garbage.

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
  #77
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not to mention the only addition to the entire team is Bobby Ryan.
Yeah it's kind of pointless to predict a line-up for a couple of years ahead of time. There's too much unknown. We should just take it a year at a time.

Here's one from 2008 for what our roster should look like 5 years from then by a poster:

Van Riemsdyk - Richards - Lupul
Maroon - Carter - Giroux
Hartnell - Matsumoto - Downie
Kalinski - Rinaldo - Kempe
Cote

Parent - Coburn
Sbisa - Bodrov
Marshall - Bourdon
Lehtivouri

Eriksson
Deserres

At the time I'm sure it sounded good but it was horribly off with the hindsight.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
  #78
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Maybe I should have been more clear. I meant when he's near the blueline. Most defensemen will skate away/retreat or look to pass. A guy attacks him near the blue line, he dodges, and comes right at the netminder and wrists it. I could see this attack offense being excited by that (Lavi)-- a guy who when pressured will drive the puck up the slot from the blueline instead of dumping it deep, or giving possession to another guy on the unit. Just going by the videos I've seen.

Flyers could use a guy like that-- they get killed by aggressive PK units and score in droves against "sit back and collapse" box philosophies. The Flyer's PP is designed to defeat that-- they wheel the puck around until someone can one time it (Hartnell/Giroux) from the circles or point, then if it doesn't go in, a big forward looks for the garbage.
Oh--you see it as a positive?

I agree then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Who are the two immobile D?
Schenn and Grossmann.

But I don't see that as a problem. You need some big bodies. The key is to make sure that they are properly paired with a speedy, puck-moving guy.


Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 05-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
  #79
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
delete

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 03:09 PM
  #80
Gibbs18
Registered User
 
Gibbs18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Elmer, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah it's kind of pointless to predict a line-up for a couple of years ahead of time. There's too much unknown. We should just take it a year at a time.

Here's one from 2008 for what our roster should look like 5 years from then by a poster:

Van Riemsdyk - Richards - Lupul
Maroon - Carter - Giroux
Hartnell - Matsumoto - Downie
Kalinski - Rinaldo - Kempe
Cote

Parent - Coburn
Sbisa - Bodrov
Marshall - Bourdon
Lehtivouri

Eriksson
Deserres

At the time I'm sure it sounded good but it was horribly off with the hindsight.
He predicted Rinaldo on the 4th line

Gibbs18 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
  #81
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
He predicted Rinaldo on the 4th line
I'm not even going to lie, I have no idea who the hell Kempe is?

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
  #82
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 757
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Schenn and Grossmann.

But I don't see that as a problem. You need some big bodies. The key is to make sure that they are properly paired with a speedy, puck-moving guy.
Exactly, and I'd hardly call them immobile. By no means are they puck movers, but they're fine to have in a defensive core.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
  #83
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not even going to lie, I have no idea who the hell Kempe is?
Mario Kempe

He was drafted because he could skate like the wind, but other than that had very little about him that was special.

DeflatedFootball7 is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:03 PM
  #84
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven
 
TheCerebral1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Hypothetical question: If Morin, Ristolainen, are both on the board at 11 which would most rather take? I would personally rather have Zadorov fall as well or have Nichushkin free fall. But, between the two?

TheCerebral1 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:04 PM
  #85
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven
 
TheCerebral1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Nurse at 5 seems like a major bump up for the kid. But, he does fit Carolina's needs.

TheCerebral1 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:04 PM
  #86
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,038
vCash: 500
Ristolainen by a mile.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  #87
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven
 
TheCerebral1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Ristolainen by a mile.
That's what I thought. Mock drafts are a fickle thing. The same guy will have two different mock's in the next 10 days.

TheCerebral1 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:28 PM
  #88
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,222
vCash: 539
Can someone tell me why we should not trade up for Shinkaruk?

I really feel that any line that plays with voracek is our best line, and that his skill set makes couturier and schenn better. But since voracek is with Giroux it would be nice if we can get a playmaker on the wing to help out schenn and Couturier.

Jtown is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:40 PM
  #89
BillDineen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah it's kind of pointless to predict a line-up for a couple of years ahead of time. There's too much unknown. We should just take it a year at a time.

Here's one from 2008 for what our roster should look like 5 years from then by a poster:

Van Riemsdyk - Richards - Lupul
Maroon - Carter - Giroux
Hartnell - Matsumoto - Downie
Kalinski - Rinaldo - Kempe
Cote

Parent - Coburn
Sbisa - Bodrov
Marshall - Bourdon
Lehtivouri

Eriksson
Deserres

At the time I'm sure it sounded good but it was horribly off with the hindsight.
Parent as a top pairing was a sure thing ... in the ECHL.

BillDineen is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:53 PM
  #90
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Can someone tell me why we should not trade up for Shinkaruk?

I really feel that any line that plays with voracek is our best line, and that his skill set makes couturier and schenn better. But since voracek is with Giroux it would be nice if we can get a playmaker on the wing to help out schenn and Couturier.
Isn't Shinkaruk more Patrick Kane-lite than Claude Giroux-lite? I thought he was more of a finisher than a playmaker.

I think you only trade up when you believe a truly special sort of talent is available that you absolutely need to have, or when a guy just perfectly addresses a pressing organizational need. I just don't see Shinkaruk fitting into either one of those categories, though I wouldn't fault the Flyers for taking him if he falls into their laps.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
  #91
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not even going to lie, I have no idea who the hell Kempe is?

Crazy fast

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
  #92
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,222
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Isn't Shinkaruk more Patrick Kane-lite than Claude Giroux-lite? I thought he was more of a finisher than a playmaker.

I think you only trade up when you believe a truly special sort of talent is available that you absolutely need to have, or when a guy just perfectly addresses a pressing organizational need. I just don't see Shinkaruk fitting into either one of those categories, though I wouldn't fault the Flyers for taking him if he falls into their laps.
If that is the case, don't you think that skill set benefits a playmaker like couturier. BTW kane is a great playmaker and finisher. Only Crosby imo rivals him in the ability to do both.

Jtown is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:03 PM
  #93
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
If that is the case, don't you think that skill set benefits a playmaker like couturier. BTW kane is a great playmaker and finisher. Only Crosby imo rivals him in the ability to do both.
I think Shinkaruk would fit nicely on Couturier's wing, yes. But I still wouldn't' trade up for him. Not with the cost of moving up in the top-10.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
  #94
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,222
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think Shinkaruk would fit nicely on Couturier's wing, yes. But I still wouldn't' trade up for him. Not with the cost of moving up in the top-10.
Id say at our spot we should either trade up or trade down. I could see us trading back with Columbus. 14 and the kings pick for our first 1st and our 2nd. Or we could package next years 2nd and move up 2 spots and get a guy like shinkaruk

Jtown is online now  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:22 PM
  #95
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Id say at our spot we should either trade up or trade down. I could see us trading back with Columbus. 14 and the kings pick for our first 1st and our 2nd. Or we could package next years 2nd and move up 2 spots and get a guy like shinkaruk
Not sure if Columbus would do that just to move up 3 spots but I'd be all for it. This first round looks pretty deep.

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
  #96
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 300
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427
Button has us taking Samuel Morin. Anyone know anything about him?

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:46 PM
  #97
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,360
vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=93427
Button has us taking Samuel Morin. Anyone know anything about him?
http://nesn.com/2011/11/knockout-of-...f-qmjhl-video/



http://www.theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8576

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=13500

Quote:
Samuel Morin, Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL

NHL Central Scouting occasionally provides team scouts and general managers a list of potential draft prospects outside the top 30 on the midterm rankings release for North American skaters that have shown great improvement. So without further delay, here are three players gaining steam according to those tireless travelers at Central Scouting.

Samuel Morin, Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL -- The 6-foot-6, 203-pound defenseman, who participated in the Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game earlier this month, is in his second season with the Oceanic. He's already established career highs with four goals, 12 assists, 16 points and a plus-10 rating in 45 games. Unfortunately, Morin will be sidelined 6-8 weeks with an upper-body injury.

"Samuel has shown overall improvement … his skating is fluid and his ability to stay on top of the play has helped enhance his game," NHL Central Scouting Director Dan Marr told NHL.com. "He's gained more confidence with playing time. But we're noticing how much more comfortable he is handling and moving the puck under pressure; that's something we didn't see in him before."

The injury suffered by Morin should not hinder his draft status in June since, according to Marr, NHL scouts have seen enough to formulate a very positive opinion. Morin was No. 76 on Central Scouting's midterm list of North American skaters eligible for the 2013 Draft.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 05:49 PM
  #98
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 300
It seems like a reach to get him at 11.

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  #99
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
It seems like a reach to get him at 11.
A post a few pages back showed that it was pretty much only Button that has him going that high. Most if not all scouts have him in the late first early 2nd. I think it was said Button is the highest on Morin.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  #100
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
A post a few pages back showed that it was pretty much only Button that has him going that high. Most if not all scouts have him in the late first early 2nd. I think it was said Button is the highest on Morin.
Yeah but as has been said a bunch around here, just because scouts and pundits have guys ranked a certain way, doesn't mean teams do. I don't know much about Morin, but it is certainly possible that the Flyers have him above the guys being mentioned around here (Risto, Pulock, etc).

If they like him better than Pulock or Risto or whomever but don't want to trade back and risk missing out on him, I could see them taking him at 11. ISS has him at whatever and most mocks have him int he late first or early second, but if the Flyers have him that high, it is certainly possible that the Sabres or Blue Jackets or someone picking right around where the Flyers are picking have him that high too.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.