HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 02:25 PM
gunners14henry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
You guys are misinterpreting what Jussi is saying. He is asking how many people aren't actually connected to the internet when playing online.

I disagree with his notion entirely but the question makes more sense.
My answer is still the same. When playing offline, there is no purpose for me to be connected to the internet.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
You guys are misinterpreting what Jussi is saying. He is asking how many people aren't actually connected to the internet when playing online.

I disagree with his notion entirely but the question makes more sense.
These days every so often when I head to people's houses and bring a console I am quite often not connected.

Sure I might be able to connect there, but usually that is for local play that really shouldn't need an internet connection.

I'd say this is once a month, but again all my 'online play' is PC... aside from the stupid load times of NHL 13.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
He is asking how many people aren't actually connected to the internet when playing online.
My current console is always connected to the internet. I'm confident my next console will be as well.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Diskothek

My 360 hasn't been connected to the internet in a few years.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
I've never actually played anything but Saints Row 2 for my 360 online, and that was for the briefest moments. Simply because I refuse to pay for it when the PS is free.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheed301 View Post
Damn GCI and their stupid data limits..
yeah, I hate GCI, but they are the only game in town for the most part. I think ACS is more expensive and slower.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Clock

It's the principal of the thing.

Yes, I always have internet flowing through my house at almost all times, and no, this probably wouldn't really affect me.

But still - no. Consoles are pretty locked-down as is. I don't think that piracy was really rampant with the 360. That Microsoft wants to somehow crack down HARDER on me, a paying customer, and essentially punish me if my internet DOES go out, is offensive to me. A single player game SHOULD NOT REQUIRE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. There's no way I'm buying this thing if it even allows publishers to not allow me to play a game I bought because my internet is down or, what is a much more likely scenario that everyone forgets for some reason, that Microsoft's servers or the publisher's servers are down.

This crap is going to get worse and worse as long as customers put up with it.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:57 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Yes, I always have internet flowing through my house at almost all times, and no, this probably wouldn't really affect me.

But still - no. Consoles are pretty locked-down as is. I don't think that piracy was really rampant with the 360. That Microsoft wants to somehow crack down HARDER on me, a paying customer, and essentially punish me if my internet DOES go out, is offensive to me. A single player game SHOULD NOT REQUIRE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. There's no way I'm buying this thing if it even allows publishers to not allow me to play a game I bought because my internet is down or, what is a much more likely scenario that everyone forgets for some reason, that Microsoft's servers or the publisher's servers are down.

Actually piracy was a huge thing for the 360. When it came to pirated games, the 360 version usually was the first out on the web by a good margin, even beating out PC games.

But yes, it is still very much punishing the paying customer, which is the clear majority.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Actually piracy was a huge thing for the 360. When it came to pirated games, the 360 version usually was the first out on the web by a good margin, even beating out PC games.
Right - and to clarify, I was talking about sheer volume. It was nothing to the tune of the original Xbox, which could be hacked via Savegames and the like. My understanding is that hacking a 360 today requires either hardware or flashing the drive, both of which would raise eyebrows for many gamers.

I never got the sense that piracy was a major issue for the 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
But yes, it is still very much punishing the paying customer, which is the clear majority.
That's exactly right. In a vacuum, I'm not pirating games. If Microsoft wants to punish me on behalf of those who do, then screw 'em. A PC with an Xbox controller running XBMC and Steam is almost certainly going to be superior to what MS puts out anyhow.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:17 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:

My problem is my internet is damn flaky. It get lat spikes every now and then and my netflix, internet does down for a sec. I don't want my god damn single player game to crap out on me because of this. seriously right?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:

Piracy was and is a huge problem, you can download the games and play them offline rather easily these days by just burning them to disc. Microsoft themselves won't be saying you need to always be connected, it'll be EA, Ubiosoft, etc, that will supplement their $20 multiplayer passes and stuff with these authentication requests to determine if you're the original owner or if it is a legit copy.

While that sucks for a lot of aspects, I am positive there will be only a select few games that come out with always connected to the internet requirements and that will be because it is Sim-Cityesque where your interactions change your neighbors interactions in live time. Most of the time it will be a one off authentication check that will just require temporary connection to your wifi.

I don't understand why people are ready to take their stand here, when companies like EA have been stealing money for their DLC passes for years and multiplayer passes and all kinds of crap to mess with the used game market and to push out incomplete games to customers to meet a yearly turnaround time. That's the real crime, not Microsoft allowing for a certain technology type to be used.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Piracy was and is a huge problem, you can download the games and play them offline rather easily these days by just burning them to disc. Microsoft themselves won't be saying you need to always be connected, it'll be EA, Ubiosoft, etc, that will supplement their $20 multiplayer passes and stuff with these authentication requests to determine if you're the original owner or if it is a legit copy.
As far as the piracy goes - didn't that STILL requiring flashing your drive, and thus taking your Xbox apart to do? I hunted around for statistics on how common this actually was due to the steeper requirements to hack, but I never got the impression it was hugely widespread.

That said - it's not the central point.

The central point is treating your paying customers like criminals is for the birds.

I don't think Microsoft gets absolved of criticism because they're giving developers the option. They had to write code, at the system level, to enable that sort of thing. I'm not going to buy a system knowing that at any point developers might say "let's force internet-on, always!"

Quote:
While that sucks for a lot of aspects, I am positive there will be only a select few games that come out with always connected to the internet requirements and that will be because it is Sim-Cityesque where your interactions change your neighbors interactions in live time. Most of the time it will be a one off authentication check that will just require temporary connection to your wifi.
I really doubt that. These are the same publishers that pushed rootkits onto your system and are forcing online-presence for single player games. If piracy is really rampant on the 360 today, why do you feel "positive" that these guys wouldn't flip the switch? They probably pressured Microsoft into introducing the functionality in the first place.

Quote:
I don't understand why people are ready to take their stand here, when companies like EA have been stealing money for their DLC passes for years and multiplayer passes and all kinds of crap to mess with the used game market and to push out incomplete games to customers to meet a yearly turnaround time. That's the real crime, not Microsoft allowing for a certain technology type to be used.
A lot of the people you're talking about DIDN'T buy those games from EA or buying their DLC. Microsoft is enabling their garbage on the console at the detriment of paying customers. I get that plenty of folks probably don't care about that factor enough or are OK that they won't be able to use their systems whenever their internet goes down or the game servers go down. Plenty of customers have made their stand already, though.

If all of this is true when we hear the official details from Microsoft, I sincerely hope it pushes people toward either the PS4 or PC. Microsoft enabling this sort of behavior is BS, and of course the best part is that the pirates will inevitably find a workaround anyhow, leaving the only ones suffering to be, yet again, the paying customer.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
If all of this is true when we hear the official details from Microsoft, I sincerely hope it pushes people toward either the PS4 or PC. Microsoft enabling this sort of behavior is BS, and of course the best part is that the pirates will inevitably find a workaround anyhow, leaving the only ones suffering to be, yet again, the paying customer.
Why would you hate the 360 when PC games are just as, if not more, locked down? Wasn't the PS4 rumored to be implementing the same authentication capabilities?

I haven't actually gone about trying to rip a game and play it, that's not my style, but I've seen the distributed files and I'm not so certain it is anymore than writing the games to disc anymore. Someone will probably say I'm wrong, but I don't want to log into old accounts to find out.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I'd love to be able to share games with my little brother when he comes over and buy used games without paying $20 just to play them online or get access to their DLC store.

Old
05-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Green Blob*

Has there been any info on any potential "HUGE" games in the making for the debut release of the 720 or PS4?

Sorry havent been reading anything about the next gen yet.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:01 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Has there been any info on any potential "HUGE" games in the making for the debut release of the 720 or PS4?

No news on 720.

Likely on PS4 are:

-Watch Dogs
-Call of Duty: Ghost
-Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
-Killzone: Shadow Fall
-Knack
-InFamous: Second Son
-DriveClub
-Diablo 3
-The Witness

Old
05-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Planetside 2 & Destiny are a couple more

Old
05-05-2013, 10:30 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post

Well Ghost will be demoed at the launch later in May.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Slapshot_11

I've seen this http://pastebin.com/WYBaRtE3 posted a lot on game forums

dont know if its actually true

Old
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post

Quote:
Anti Used Games. (True. They have a system and it works. Time will tell if they decide to implement it though.)
I pray sony decides against this.

Quote:
Always online. (false, the system is ALWAYS CONNECTED, just like PS4 it does a lot of stuff in the background - if you don't connect to the net you can play game but the console isn't worthwhile - a lot of the experience will be about being connected)
I still don't beleive the always on will work with offline gaming as well as they say. you don't get the features. hmmmm what features....

Old
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
I pray sony decides against this.
It won't be Sony's call. If they don't implement one themselves, then the publishers will.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:11 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
If they both do that, gamestop is ****ed.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:03 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post

Being able to play previous games would be a plus for most gamers. And I can certainly believe that Microsoft could bring in the Apple approach of a 'new' version every so often.

I don't know, perhaps Microsoft always knew the PS4 would be 'better' this time around, and are going for the approach that people would perhaps buy both? PS4 for the games console and Xbox 720 for their home media center?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Lonewolfe2015

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ternet-doesnt/

Pretty consistent with what I expected. No cause for alarm here anymore.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:23 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Being able to play previous games would be a plus for most gamers. And I can certainly believe that Microsoft could bring in the Apple approach of a 'new' version every so often.

I don't know, perhaps Microsoft always knew the PS4 would be 'better' this time around, and are going for the approach that people would perhaps buy both? PS4 for the games console and Xbox 720 for their home media center?
That's a really stupid approach.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Clock

Quote:
Why would you hate the 360 when PC games are just as, if not more, locked down? Wasn't the PS4 rumored to be implementing the same authentication capabilities?
I don't hate the 360, it doesn't have that "feature." I won't hate the next console either, I simply won't buy it out of principal if there are any limitations placed on single player gaming and I'm explaining why.

To answer your question: a prerequisite for gaming on a PC does not include a switch that exists at a system level that a developer can choose to flip on to disable games if my internet (or more likely, their server(s)) dies.

It all just boils back down to this: I'm not stealing games, but if you take functionality away from me as a paying customer to punish those who do, there are better alternatives.

All of that said, I hope that Ars article is legit and Microsoft won't put that system-level switch there.

Closed Thread