HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Methot's value for a 1st round pick

Old
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
He has been our best D while Karlsson was injured. He's physical, blocks shots, good with the puck, has speed and size 6.3, 225lbs. Shoots left. Will be 28 in June.

10th overall?
Whoa let's not get carried away now. Sure he is a very nice d-man but come on. He's not a consistant top 2 D, hell I doubt he would be it on any other team unless that teams d-core is depleted due to injuries.

Don't get me wrong he is really good but a top 10 pick is worth a lot more, A LOT more.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Jets have 13th pick overall. Honestly, after doing the research i have on draft pick development etc, and looking at team construction/timelines, i'd trade a winnipegs 1st for Methot even in this "deep" year.

Timeline and Need wise it just fits perfect for us IMO.

Also, first round picks are overvalued in a brutal way- that being said, if ever their was a year they are even close to proper value it would be this one, provided you believe the hype.
Agree with you completely Grind. I doubt Ottawa trades him but he is exactly the kind of defenseman we wanted Hainsey to be an he's just entering his prime. Our biggest hole is scoring but a shut down LD to play with Bogosian or Trouba makes a ton of sense. We don't have anyone in the system that even projects to be as good as Methot is now.

AFAIC any pick outside the top 10 for a good top six forward/top four defense that fills a need is a smart trade to make. Too bad Bryan Murray is smart enough to know this lol

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
CaptainCally

Wow some people are crazy in here. If Methot is worth the 10th overall pick in any draft, especially one of the deepest drafts ever what is Marc Staal worth? The 1st overall++?

Old
05-02-2013, 05:27 PM
CaptainCally

Methot and Smid are both very good solid d-men. I would say that they're quite similar in value and in style. I used to say they're both underrated but it seems like Methot is becoming vastly overrated after 1 good season where his competition was a past the hill Philips, Wiercoch and Gonchar. Kind of hard not to look good next to them. I'd say a late 1st, sure. But a top 10 pick, get out of here!

Old
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I think he's worth a 1st but not at the moment

He'll need to play like he has this year for a least another full season to warrant such a return

I also wouldn't trade him, I think I'd trade Anderson before Methot (because we have Lehner)

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Wow some people are crazy in here. If Methot is worth the 10th overall pick in any draft, especially one of the deepest drafts ever what is Marc Staal worth? The 1st overall++?
I would argue one 1st overall = at least several 10th overalls in terms of organizational value.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Whoa let's not get carried away now. Sure he is a very nice d-man but come on. He's not a consistant top 2 D, hell I doubt he would be it on any other team unless that teams d-core is depleted due to injuries.

Don't get me wrong he is really good but a top 10 pick is worth a lot more, A LOT more.
I agree he probably isn't worth a top 10 this year, but he would be perfect for the Leafs on the top pairing. He plays to his strengths instead of the guys we have aside from Phaneuf, who think they actually have strengths.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I would argue one 1st overall = at least several 10th overalls in terms of organizational value.
I know. But Staal >>> Methot (I know he's having a great year, but 1 good 48 game stretch doesn't make him an equal to someone like Staal for instance who has been playing great for years). Hence why I said the 1st pick. 10th is too much for Methot either way you cut it. He hasn't proven enough and as of now he's not a top 2 D going into the future if you ask me. He is a great top 4 though, I give you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
I agree he probably isn't worth a top 10 this year, but he would be perfect for the Leafs on the top pairing. He plays to his strengths instead of the guys we have aside from Phaneuf, who think they actually have strengths.
touché!

Old
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I know. But Staal >>> Methot (I know he's having a great year, but 1 good 48 game stretch doesn't make him an equal to someone like Staal for instance who has been playing great for years). Hence why I said the 1st pick. 10th is too much for Methot either way you cut it. He hasn't proven enough and as of now he's not a top 2 D going into the future if you ask me. He is a great top 4 though, I give you that.

touché!
check this out

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1298875

While this year may be an exception (it's quite a deep draft) historically a pick in the 7-10 range is no better then a pick in the 11-15 range.

We talke about "top tens" simply because it seems like a good number to cut off at, but in reality, the numbers and trends show the significant cut off happens at around pick 6, with picks 7-15 all producing meaningfull NHL'ers at a similar rate.

Marc Methot is essentially the best you can hope for within reason (there's a slight chance you get someone better) at 10th overall. Hell, a solid top 4 borderline top 2 dman is a good pick at 7.

look through the draft history, you'll find a lot more players with that sort of talent level picked in the 7-10 range then you will of players better.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
For those who don't know, Methot (6th rounder), Girardi (undrafted), Prust (3rd rounder) were part of the London Knights that won the Memorial cup in 04/05 that beat the heavy favorite Rimouski, Sydney Crosby's team.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

WHY? WHY?

Why trade him?

He's un-freaking-believable. I don't know if the rest of the league truly knows how important he is to the Sens. I honesty think he can be a Top 4 Defenceman for 8+ years, all with the Senators.

He's the hardest working guy, loves the community too. He's going to get an 'A' on his jersey eventually and I honestly wouldn't mind it if he was the future captain of the Senators.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:47 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
WHY? WHY?

Why trade him?

He's un-freaking-believable. I don't know if the rest of the league truly knows how important he is to the Sens. I honesty think he can be a Top 4 Defenceman for 8+ years, all with the Senators.

He's the hardest working guy, loves the community too. He's going to get an 'A' on his jersey eventually and I honestly wouldn't mind it if he was the future captain of the Senators.
You've never tried to find out the value of players before?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
WHY? WHY?

Why trade him?

errrr....who's trading him.
this thread is funny though, people really have no idea for the most part how few draft picks pan out and then turn into legitimate top 6 players or top 2/3dmen.
if we got another Methot quality player out of this draft id be ecstatic.
Obviously at some point there is a cutoff - i'd never trade a top 5 pick for him but like someone said after 7 or 8 depending on what my org needed i'd certainly think long and hard about it.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:44 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I'd gladly give up the Hawks first and a middling prospect to pair him with Leddy or Oduya.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:42 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

Yeah, if we get a first round pick in about the 8 slot for Methot we may be able to pick a defenceman who, with years of practice and development, may turn into a top 4 D who can play with Karlsson.

Seems logical to me.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Lol.. Kuba 2.0 in hype from Sens.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:24 PM
stlblues9

So run of the mill players are becoming worth first round picks now? Could St. Louis get a first round pick for Jackman? Polak? Methot is a good player, I liked him when he was with London but the 10th overall is ridiculous. I'd be surprised if he got a first round pick.

stlblues9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:55 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

I wouldn't trade either of Buffalo's 1sts for him because we have a very similar player (I think) in Sekera.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:18 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I don't understand anything about that comment. Have you watched Methot play? Even if Sens fans are guilty of hyping Kuba, can you not form your own opinion on Methot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
So run of the mill players are becoming worth first round picks now? Could St. Louis get a first round pick for Jackman? Polak? Methot is a good player, I liked him when he was with London but the 10th overall is ridiculous. I'd be surprised if he got a first round pick.
Okay...wow, you haven't watched Marc Methot play for one minute this year, admit it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Predatorbill

Obviously I didn't see him play this year. But in all his years in Columbus I saw him a lot (STH). We always joked when he made a stupid play (which was frequently), Me Thought it was a good idea.

Obviously he has improved. I wouldn't give up a first round draft pick after one good year. Make him prove it another year. Almost reminds me of all the hype around Franson and Leino.

I'll admit that maybe I have a jaded view of good defensemen from the Predator's standpoint.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
That's what I was thinking.

I figure I saw six years of Methot in Columbus, and the only real difference between his time here and his one year in Ottawa is that his occasionally-boneheaded decisions don't have the same negative effect. Of course, a part of that is because Ottawa's goaltending situation is just slightly better than having Steve Mason around.

From the Ottawa games I saw, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that Methot has become this incredible defenseman...or All-Star defenseman...or really anything more than what he showed here.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:22 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
From the Ottawa games I saw, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that Methot has become this incredible defenseman...or All-Star defenseman...or really anything more than what he showed here.
He doesn't need to anything more than be a reliable defensive defensemen who doesn't drag his partner down. Uses his body and hits, can skate the puck out and has speed. Doesn't score is an understatement though.

He's been the perfect need for us that we wouldn't trade him for what he's worth. I would take the chance with a top 10 pick over a defensive dman easily though.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If MON's pick is going to be in the 20s they should trade it for Methot, that is what they are missing is a big physical dman. Yes, you have good dmen prospects but they are that, prospects. Your team is not rebuilding but competing. What is going to help you more next year Methot or the pick. I would say Methot.
I don't think it's that far off value wise, but it doesn't really work. Emelin works just fine in that role, and Tinordi is looking like he will soon. Plus, they're both LD, same as Markov, Gorges and Bouillon. Now, Methot is clearly better than Bouillon, but trading a first to replace your sixth defenceman isn't that appealing.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:27 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
That's what I was thinking.

I figure I saw six years of Methot in Columbus, and the only real difference between his time here and his one year in Ottawa is that his occasionally-boneheaded decisions don't have the same negative effect. Of course, a part of that is because Ottawa's goaltending situation is just slightly better than having Steve Mason around.

From the Ottawa games I saw, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that Methot has become this incredible defenseman...or All-Star defenseman...or really anything more than what he showed here
He plays for Ottawa now so the hype automatically goes through the roof.

stlblues9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:04 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Ottawa does hype up some random defenseman seemingly every year. Carkner, Kuba....

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote